Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Can you really hit your irons?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Imlex
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri May 09, 2014 10:37 am

HI All,

Thanks for the advise.
I will hit the range to try it out soon. Probably get a coach for a lesson or two lol...
I will update everyone again hahah..

Cheers
Alex
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri May 09, 2014 11:02 am

neutralgolfer wrote:
IMHO, to hit well with your long irons, you need a lot more practices, just like driver... the longer the club, the more you need to practice.

If you are hitting up on irons (scooping), tendency is that your 5i, 6i and 7i are likely to be of the same distance. You will need to hit down to take advantage of the loft.

Sometimes, it may be your swing fault. Suggest to look for a coach again.

Cheers.
Hitting down may not be a good tip as steep swing like a wedge or short irons do not work for me, but by shallowing my swing, i am achieving the proper distance gap in long irons.
Launch conditions are affected by two values i would say, spin and launch angle. Since irons have loft to help lifting the ball, then is up to the amount of backspin you can create to hit it high. Low backspin will make a more "diving" ballflight even at the first half(rise) while a high backspin allows you to have a more "rising" ballfight which is the stinger. Spin is correlated to swing speed hence higher swing speed higher spin and vice versa. 
If possible, you can have a swing speed check or pick a wedge or a club where you can constantly hit it and take down the distance. After a series of lessons with a coach, you may want to compare the distance gain. Any swing speed gain will help a golfer's game.
If problem of improper distance gap still persist, maybe you might have to change shafts to get proper backspin.
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri May 09, 2014 4:26 pm

i would need a 3w to hit to the sweetest spot with the fullest swing in order to reach 180m ....

you guys are really good ...

please give more strokes hor ....
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri May 09, 2014 5:05 pm

I was wondering who started this thread ... checked back and realised I did! ... LOL

So i guess I am allowed to OT and TCSS on my own thread right

Honestly, if I was facing a 180m Par 3, I would use a driver ... does that mean I get strokes from all of you?  Hurray!

Happy Golfing this weekend guys!

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri May 09, 2014 5:22 pm

goh.YF.52 wrote:

Hitting down may not be a good tip as steep swing like a wedge or short irons do not work for me, but by shallowing my swing, i am achieving the proper distance gap in long irons.

Launch conditions are affected by two values i would say, spin and launch angle. Since irons have loft to help lifting the ball, then is up to the amount of backspin you can create to hit it high. Low backspin will make a more "diving" ballflight even at the first half(rise) while a high backspin allows you to have a more "rising" ballfight which is the stinger. Spin is correlated to swing speed hence higher swing speed higher spin and vice versa ...

You've a point especially for low lofted long irons ... Unless one is strong and has high swing speed, hitting down on low lofted 3i or 4i (or even 5i) may not be beneficial to a slow swing speed social golfers ... One needs to have appropriate & sufficient launch angle to carry the ball forward ... Therefore, to dynamically deloft the low lofted long irons may not be helpful to an average golfer ...  

It is of course ideal to hit down on all clubs (except maybe driver but many tour pro also hit down on driver) like a tour pro, but there are not many of the social golfers who have the necessary swing speed to do so in order to achieve the desirable distance ... For mid to short irons, the lofts are considerably high and hence, one can still hit down and thru to achieve the desirable distance ...
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri May 09, 2014 6:38 pm

Derek wrote:
I was wondering who started this thread ... checked back and realised I did! ... LOL

Honestly, if I was facing a 180m Par 3, I would use a driver ... does that mean I get strokes from all of you?  Hurray!

Bro, even 110 m par 3 also u hit driver.
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri May 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Derek wrote:

Hitting 180m Par 3 with a driver will not allow you any additional stroke, BUT if you attempt a 110m Par 3 or reverse chip next to a bunker ~ sure get strokes  ROFL
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri May 09, 2014 7:38 pm

Derek wrote:

Bro Derek, any more trick shot clips to share?  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri May 09, 2014 9:11 pm

*ahem* 110m island green par 3 ...LOL

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat May 10, 2014 9:54 pm

that 110 island green par always shows up as 12X on the buggy GPS system, you can't really trust technology that much after all LOL.

regarding Long iron, i think few can master them to your liking bro, so don't be too hard on your self. I do think that making it simple and consistent is probably the best. The key is really both consistency and proper measurement of your club length vs your height etc. If you hit down for example on driver since it's 44 inches that is different to hitting down with a sand wedge or simply not possible for certain body height + club length combination etc. With time and practise most people will find what works for them even if that means choking down on the club cause they are too long off the shelf.. Smile
Back to top Go down
golf_nut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat May 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Ego plays a big part in this game, sometimes for the worse.. (knowing esp if u can flush it much easier with a hybrid rather than hacking it out of the rough with a 3 or 4I; am myself guilty of it). Constantly reminding myself of it...

End of day, it's about playing the higher percentage shot and enjoying the game (my 2 cents worth)

Beer
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sun May 11, 2014 12:22 pm

dmateo wrote:
that 110 island green par always shows up as 12X on the buggy GPS system, you can't really trust technology that much after all LOL.

regarding Long iron, i think few can master them to your liking bro, so don't be too hard on your self. I do think that making it simple and consistent is probably the best. The key is really both consistency and proper measurement of your club length vs your height etc. If you hit down for example on driver since it's 44 inches that is different to hitting down with a sand wedge or simply not possible for certain body height + club length combination etc. With time and practise most people will find what works for them even if that means choking down on the club cause they are too long off the shelf.. Smile

Are you referring to MBGC Par 3 Island Green? Only 110m? The GPS registered it as 128m from the Blue Tee box ...
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Mon May 12, 2014 8:12 pm

yeah bro.. played from white lah.. no blue on nite golf as that is the only time I can play.. nite.. lol.. Smile
MBGC green is hard like rock, almost nothing stay on the green even after launching it high high lol..
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Mon May 12, 2014 8:13 pm

Turbo wrote:
dmateo wrote:

Are you referring to MBGC Par 3 Island Green? Only 110m? The GPS registered it as 128m from the Blue Tee box ...

Think 110m from white  and 125-128 from blue.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Mon May 12, 2014 9:34 pm

dmateo wrote:
yeah bro.. played from white lah.. no blue on nite golf as that is the only time I can play.. nite.. lol.. Smile
MBGC green is hard like rock, almost nothing stay on the green even after launching it high high lol..

OK, bro ... You should start to consider ProV1 or NXT Tour balls ... I am using the latter and it checked up really well with my 9i from 128m to pin ...  I HIT IT
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Mon May 12, 2014 9:34 pm

asahi wrote:
Turbo wrote:
dmateo wrote:

Think 110m from white  and 125-128 from blue.
OK, bro ... So the GPS on the buggy was accurate ...
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Tue May 13, 2014 11:02 am

Have the problem with dmateo, in particular the 9th hole MBGC from blue tee.. About 150m or maybe 155m .. Tricky hole with the front bunker from that distance.
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Tue May 13, 2014 12:09 pm

kissthegreen wrote:
Have the problem with dmateo, in particular the 9th hole MBGC from blue tee.. About 150m or maybe 155m .. Tricky hole with the front bunker from that distance.
I've faced similar issues as well.. 150-140m with front bunker guarding the pin, attack it and usually ball even on the green will roll out of the green.. Usually if the side got a gap I will try to lay up with a 9i to the side and pitch it in.. but it's a tough one to deal with
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Tue May 13, 2014 12:19 pm

kissthegreen wrote:

I think 9th Hole should be 138 - 140 m from Blue tee, bro ... Or perhaps it was positioned way back when you were there? What iron you used? My suggestion is to aim at the centre of the green and not at the flag especially if the flag is placed at one corner of the green ... A couple of weeks ago when I gamed there, the flag was positioned at the extreme right of the green ... I aim on the left of the flag and the ball didn't roll out ... Lucky me ...  bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Today at 7:56 am

Back to top Go down

Can you really hit your irons?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3