Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

which brand of clubs to get started?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
capitalist
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: which brand of clubs to get started?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:59 am

Hi all,

I just pick up golf for around 3 weeks, may I know

1) which brand / type
2) where to get them

for beginners.

Thanks a lot
Back to top Go down
18underPar
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:05 am

Not sure if they sell "starter sets" in Singapore, but basically, it's a box set of clubs including bag, putter, irons/hybrids, woods and driver.

no specific brand really, but might be a good idea to look into those while you're still learning the game and then upgrade later Smile

something like this: http://www.golftown.com/13-Piece-Full-Set-P10070.aspx#.Up4rVNJDt8E
Back to top Go down
http://www.EighteenUnderPar.com
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:30 am

Go check out Golf Direct outlets, they carry some beginners set at very reasonable prices.
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:30 am

Golf direct has many new beginner complete sets. They're good enough to last you through your lessons and early days.
Back to top Go down
babolat
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:27 am

I would recommend you to go for used beginner set.
Maybe like mizuno zephyr etc.
Something really easy to start off and forgiving to keep you in love with this game.

No point spending too much on a beginner set; when you start to excel in your golf game, you will move on to upgrade your set.
Back to top Go down
akhild
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:36 am

get used lah bro.. don't spend money on a set now. soon the poison will get to you, then u will want forged an all..

just get any used set of irons within 200-300.

look at golfrepublic buy sell. many nice sets.
http://www.golfrepublic.org/t25709-wts-burner-10-iron-price-reduced#410368

and get a high lofted driver (11 and above). Im not in the camp who says cannot use driver till later. for me its the club you must make friends with.

enjoy!
Back to top Go down
leroyishere
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi there. I am a beginner as well. Bought my set of irons from GD. Brand is Adams Golf. The Tight Lies series. Only $229. Maybe you can check it out. Very cheap for brand new irons, and very forgiving for beginner as well. From 5-GW.
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:17 pm

akhild wrote:
get used lah bro.. don't spend money on a set now. soon the poison will get to you, then u will want forged an all..

just get any used set of irons within 200-300.

look at golfrepublic buy sell. many nice sets.
http://www.golfrepublic.org/t25709-wts-burner-10-iron-price-reduced#410368

and get a high lofted driver (11 and above). Im not in the camp who says cannot use driver till later. for me its the club you must make friends with.

enjoy!
agree with bro akhild, I was using a burner set of irons for lessons gd enough to learn the basics before kena more posion after a few games with khakis.. haha enjoy ur scouting for ur set! get something cavity back and or light graphite shafts might help beginners to understand the basics better without struggling from heavy n unforgiving players irons. Cheers
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:29 pm

For irons, me thinks the best for beginners are a set of "game improvement or G.I." or "super" G.I. irons..  Nice to hear but dun be too misled by those terms that your game will definitely improve right away! lol

They basically feature a cavity back and a wider sole.. The "super" usually are made with an even larger head (probably illegal sized Smile ), deeper cavities n u guessed it right! - very wide fatty soles! Basically these clubs are designed to be kinder to beginners by shifting the centre of gravity/ weight and giving u a larger sweet spot to connect w the ball..

If the above is not easy enough, some say get a whole set of hybrids instead of irons.. the ultimate game improvement set! so rather than one or 2 hybrids in the bag all the clubs are hybrids incl wedges (minus driver and putter)...

The above clubs being unconventional (an entire bag of hybrids will definitely stand out!) are usually avoided by the better players who wants nice sexy slim irons (usually forged) for greater .. controllability to "shape" their shots.... But according to the industry, G.I. irons and hybrids shd improve your game and make life on the golf course easier!
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:41 pm

two school of thoughts, GI are good so as to help u keep ur score low but up to a certain point, probably bogey game i would say. Further improvement, most still depend on yourself. MB and CB to start out with so that you learn to hit it right from the start. No help given in covering up your mistakes. Never own a set of GI irons before,used before for at least 3-4 months Nickent 3DX pro, Conductor power forged, R11(probably quite close to GI) and current S3 pro.
If you struck a good shot with a beautiful set of forged irons, it keep you going back for more.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:45 pm

Actually, if you really like this game get an average set like the Rocketbladez, RazrX that type should be more than enough to play for quite a long time. But I know, golfers tend to be itchy backside or big ego, regardless simi, will change once they get more consistent to ball hitting hoping to get better score with it. But in most cases, it does not. Anyway brands not so impt lah.
Back to top Go down
capitalist
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:36 am

Thank you for all you inputs.

Will look around as lessons progress.

Was told to get a used Callaway set at Fareast Shopping Centre.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:36 am

I actually started off with Ping. I think their clubs are very forgiving and easy to use.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Pizzaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:04 am

Technospaz wrote:
I actually started off with Ping. I think their clubs are very forgiving and easy to use.
Agreed. Titleist AP1 is a good choice for beginner as well.
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:10 am

try cobra? pretty forgiving actually
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:12 am

capitalist wrote:
Thank you for all you inputs.

Will look around as lessons progress.

Was told to get a used Callaway set at Fareast Shopping Centre.
Yala, go far east and shop, so many options there. Can get really current sets and good condition at discount prices, just because some golfers got too much money! Razz

IMHO, the shop with the auntie boss seems to be slightly pricier, feel greenfield better & more options.
Back to top Go down
capitalist
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:46 pm

Got this also from my Japanese contact. He said quite popular with golfers and tennis players. SG selling $409, I got it close to half that price. PM me for more info.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:00 am

I believe the RBZ non-tour irons are super GI set which GD is selling at $599 if I am not wrong or get a set of pre-owned Burner irons which are equally super GI if you have budget constraint ... I would suggest you go for something GI and yet at a reasonably low investment in case you improve fast which would then justify an equipment upgrade ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: which brand of clubs to get started?   Today at 8:00 am

Back to top Go down

which brand of clubs to get started?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1