Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Do you miss Toonshouse

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you miss toonshouse
Yes
50%
 50% [ 14 ]
No
50%
 50% [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 28

AuthorMessage
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:24 pm

+ very defensive... Long live GR!!!
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:40 pm

it is natural for anybody under attack to go on defensive.

At least we do not go on offensive like some ppl who are constantly out to attack the forum or our mods.

We are all here to make the forum a better place for the majority and it is inevitable that some minority would be upset by the way things are run. It is the same everywhere. USA, Singapore or anywhere in the world. There would be some ppl who have something against the government no matter what they do.

So the aim here is to please the 80% rather than the 20% and making sure that what we do are ethical and acceptable from an asian/singapore point of view as this is still a singapore forum.

It would be a great day for the world if everyone can live in peace and harmony and I do not expect it soon in the world but hopefully it can be more easily achieved in the forum.

jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:47 pm

i hope to see peace in GR though i not what's happened recently....

i do respect n admire the effort, time n dedication our admins have put in... no doubt abt tht..

let juz enjoy golf n have as many frens as possible...

i believe most of us are old enough to know that there's no such thing as "perfect" solution or answer for everything...... nothing can satisfied everyone..

so it's a blessing that we, can still worried abt waether for our game, our distance, accuracy, and this n tht... whereas there are definitely many tht are so unfortunate tht they have to worry abt their health, financial, etc....

in short, let's be more appreciative to what we have... not what we dont have....

Frens can never be too many. Smile
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:50 pm

JT.. I love your thots..
I pray for GOOD weather tomorrow!!! Boomz...
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:54 pm

that's right jake! I totally agree.

We do want GR to be just that. A place where everyone can come in and chat about golf, find some friends and share a few jokes.

That is the reason why the mods are trying their best to keep posts like personal attacks, unfounded claims that may be slanderous, politics and religions or those that are offending to women or young children out of the site.

now i wish everyone could be like you Smile except your 'buayaness' hahahaa...i heard your legendary buaya skills had worked like a charm today!

for those who are thinking of disrupting the peace, i think all the members and and mods just want some peace. Please help to preserve it. Do not disturb the peace and we would be grateful to you.

let's just close this chapter and move on.

Last edited by sunny on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:59 pm

tx mm, i wish for good weather for you ppl... Smile i m totally shag out today.... not enuff sleep.. Sad

yo sunny, dun say tht.. i m juz a common ppl with common thgts... seen too much...
buayaness?? with a pea drive of 180m? Sad next time u paly with me, u will know liao.. kekekkee

got some buayee looming ard.... playing 3rd CONSEC game tmr!!!!! such a hardworking buayee.. hahahaha
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:01 pm

pea drive of 180 and you are winning so much? No wonder they call you the up and down king!

siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:14 pm

Sunny + all other colored nicks,

I think you guys are being too sensitive and defensive.

As explain in my earlier post, i have no ill intention with the thread. The sole purpose is to start a thread for people to reminisce about the time they had in Toonshouse. This was triggered by the conversation I had with CCC earlier that day where we had some very good luff talking about our time in Toonshouse.

Anyway, do you know that it is very frustrating having colored nicks defending the forum all the time? Is there a need for you to take everything so negatively and personally? Give members a break + some freedom please!!!

Btw, dun bother replying. Just lock up the thread or delete it.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:20 pm

hi siaw8, i didn't take this thread in a negative manner. I replied to your post saying we are trying to do something about the reviews.

The thread turned downhill not due to the mods. Please read thru the threads carefully and you will realise what happened.

the members are free to post and as you can see, none of you are moderated or have posts removed.

If you are trying to defend MT and the redbull2 incident, I guess we have all better move on. The original redbull had spoken and do not like what is happening. Neither are some of his posts that are personal attacks helpful.

Members are given lots of freedom but if they choose to post such nonsense, we cannot allow those posts to remain. As someone in the forum has said, if everyone can repair divots, watch out for others, keep good pace and care for the course, there is no need for marshals. But obviously there is still a need here.

Hope you can understand.

lennylim
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:21 pm

siaw8 wrote:
Errr... sorry.. disappear for awhile...

Actually, this thread is for people to reminisce about the good times in Toonshouse... strangely...there are more posts from the moderators/admin than member... this is really uniquely GR...

ok here are some statistics on GR forum:

total posts: 51,852
Days forum has been active: 164 days (earliest Admin registered on 17 June 09)
Total members: 905
Avg posts per day: 316

Total posts by top 100 members: 44,141 or about 85% of total posts (i am one of the top 100... heh heh)
11% of members accounted for about 85% of all posts YTD

Of the 905 members, 299 have 0 posts, 507 (including the 299) have 5 posts or less, i.e. 56% have posted less than 5 times.

Admins (7 of them in top 100) accounted for 25.5% of all posts thus far
Technospaz: 35/day
S70B, MC, missmoon, sunny: avg 10.6/day
Katchiok, Quinike: 1.7/day

The above are pure stats... Nothing more, nothing less.

Below are my thoughts:
imho,
considering the amount of work the admins do, 10+ posts/day is not
excessive, so I find it hard to conclude that the forum is dominated by
Admins.

One area I wish GR could grow is to keep members more engaged/active.
Looking at the Last Visit data, most pple seem to be keep logging in, but hardly post or engage others.
Why
I dunno...could be a host of reasons, maybe they are shy, maybe they
just want to read/gather info, no time to banter with others.

I wasn't a TH member for a long time, so I won't and can't compare.
But
I will say GR is quite well run by volunteers, but there is a wealth of
pple with knowledge out there, and I hope we can continue to be an
inclusive forum. Remaining open and engaging these pple will be key to
making this forum better.
Doing so requires Admins to continue to
moderate with a light touch, to find that balance. There is no
black/white, and I'm not saying its easy, but how the balance is struck
will ultimately determine the outcome/direction for the our GR forum
going forward.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:31 pm

Sunny + mods,

I echo earlier comments, give the members a bit more freedom to express ourselves. Yes, it may not be perfect but mods aren't perfect either, let it flow more freely. I know you are trying your very best but can't yall do moderation with lighter touch.

I see the frustrations here but there are neverthless a root cause why we miss T-hse.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:41 pm

hi khokar, you have to tell us specifically freedom in which area. The mods hardly moderate. We only moderate:

1. Politics/Religions
2. Unfounded claims that may be slanderous
3. Personal Attacks
4. Spams
5. Offensive material to women or children.
6. Anything that makes a mockery of goodwill stuff such as charity.

We have also moderated the Q&A with our forum partners. However it is more to facilitate an smoother process rather than real moderation.

Now you tell me where should we do a lighter touch?

We have not moderated any bad comments about the moderating team fyi.

siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:42 pm

I AM NOT DEFENDING MT OR REDBULL (IN FACT I DUN EVEN KNOW WHO REDBULL IS). PLEASE STOP BEING SO SENSITIVE.

I AM IRRITATED BECOZ OF THE NON STOP SELF PROMOTING THREAD BY THE COLORED NICKS OVER A SLIGHT HINT BY A MEMBER THAT GR IS MORE COMMERCIAL!!!

BTW, I HAVE EXTRACTED BELOW SOME OF THE THREAD WHICH I FEEL IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!!!

Self praise. Is this required?

missmoon wrote:
Idea of creating GR forum was triggered over an msn group chat with shorthitter and sunny during the period when toonshouse never get revived over weeks. We slowly build bits and pieces of GR through help of friends and golfers. GR today has a solid team of moderators and volunteers. They have put in significant amount of effort and good work. Many thanks to S70B, Muarchee, Technospaz, KatherineChiok, Quinike, Daveaha, Joleelyn for helping out on the forum. And we have many golf pros on board providing free advices/services and Friends of GR to help answering queries about their products. And most important of all, we have some old toonsters' and new members' support and participation here to make GR a lively and interesting golf forum to chat/interact in.

Just becoz someone hinted that GR is commercial. Is a respond necessary?

sunny wrote:
GR is not a commercial forum. It is volunteer staffed and non-profit. We do not have any monetary or non monetary sponsorship. There are vendors and partners who sponsors items or prizes for our forum events and they are to benefit the members. If you didn't notice, administrators refrained from participating in them. The moderators are volunteers. They are just like everyone else except they help to do housekeeping.

We seldom moderate but if posts become personal attacks we would step in for legal reasons. We only moderate spams and we advise everyone to refrain from language that are too foul as they are children in the forum. We just met Geri, a sweet 13 year old girl during our range session. She is here because of her passion in golf and we want golf to be the focus.

You may start new topic if you have constructive suggestions and we would discuss and i dare say many suggestions had already been implemented. We do not want ppl to dump suggestions into a long poat as some newer users would not have time to read the entire thread. New topics with descriptive subject would help.

The team here us trying to build a golfing community and lounge topics should be a consequence of golfers congregating rather than the focus of the forum.

As mentioned, all moderators and even the admin are doing this during our free time and we don't make a cent. GR has a lot of expenses and till today, we are still in the red. Please remember that we have a day job and we need time and energy to do our day job so that we can spare additional cash and time to help make the forum a better place. Contrary to your beliefs, the mods do not like moderating. We are in this forum to make friends and not enemies. We also wish to enjoy ourselves, have a gd game of golf and in our spare time improve the forum. You can help by looking at the rules and regulations and abide by them. I do not feel that the rules are unusually strict. If you find a rule to be too strict, put it up for discussion in the suggestion forum.

For those who dislike us or the forum, I thank you for your previous participation and contribution and i hope you will find a forum that suits you. We do want to make this forum a premier golf forum with a wealth of golf related knowledge and it is inevitable that they are people who disagree with us and our directions. I would like to express my gratitude to the many of you who had given us lots pf encouragement and support.

Becoz of your reply, you prompted Shotah to reply which leads to a long chain of exchanges.

shotah wrote:
Sometimes i just think that the Mods are oversensitive lah. Your intepretation does means others also interpret like you. Although i never contribute anything to this forum and I dun think i ever will... but that doesn't leads to framing on some other places that I am some sort of gang leader and "when cross the road must becareful, wait kana bang down my Shotah's car."

Follow by another colored nick defending/praising GR. Is this required again>

S70B wrote:
Sunny, this post of yours makes the most sense to me.

I made friends in TH and visiting BFG put faces in those nicks. The same people here were from there which closed down.

If MT thinks those with a wealth of knowledge has chosen not to post or visit GR anymore, I thank them for their time they were here and helped build up GR to what is is today.

I might have lost a few of these friends with the incident last week but hey, life's too short for me to be petty about stuff like this. like I mentioned, I would like to think of this forum as a meeting platform for all golfers in Sg, not as a kopishop gathering where colourful talk is prevalent like what it was in TH. There are many places I see that are already like that. However, we try and cater to balance both types of people so the Admin are constantly working on what they can do on a forum with some limitations.

With regards to suggstions. We always take them seriously. I think Locking the announcment of suggestion thread is good because it encourages people to create a new topic shd they feel strongly about something. We are also getting pms of some great ideas from forumers who you never knew had such wonderful ideas despite them not having 1000+postings or not.

Granted the lelonging here is growing but you will always meet all sorts of people everywhere, even in golf. However, 1 thing here about the marketplace which I think makes it somewhat better despite a few bad apples is that you can somehow buy with confidence. Previously, I dare not even consider buying an item in TH before because you never know who those ghost sellers are, the condition of the item and more imptly, whether it was a real or fake product.

End of the day, TH might have its great stuff and all but the lack of direction is probably its demise. I want to applaud Sunny and Moon for their great ideas and keeping this place going. Contrary to someone that thinks we oni talk alot, we also play alot of golf and org games here too.

Lastly, look at all the other posts by TS (another color nick). Totally off topic.
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:51 pm

Siaw8,

I apologise for making you so irritated with my posts. I just merely wanna show appreciation to all the ppl including the members who have contributed to the forum and no intention to self praise.

There is a saying small men discuss ppl, big men discuss incidents and great men discuss ideas. We may not be a forum of great men now but we will be if we try. Let's move on to discuss swings, equipment and tech etc but never the people. In other words, nothing personal.

Thanks,
Moon
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:53 pm

It is not defending but to stressed that gr is not a sponsored forum my friend. If ppl misunderstood that this forum is sponsored by titleist cobra fj, then they may feel that they may not post comments that are not favourable to them or that they cannot praise other brands and may cause the forum to be lopsided in views.

That is the reason.

Are we supposed to keep mum when ppl misunderstand? I think members do look to us to provide answers. If i had kept quiet, ppl would assume the statement is correct.

If someone make a false statement of your company, would you not speak up and clarify? Or you would let it become rumours?

Don't forget, end of the day we are still like normal members that come to the forum to chit chat although we carry admin duties. If we are the quiet sort and do not post, i guess this forum wouldnt even exist as we would not be into forums.

Does that make some sense now?

siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:02 am

Have you ever wonder why there are pple who think that GR is commercialized? Like a chinese saying, wu fong bu qi lang...

Anyway, if you have to respond to every rumour, maybe you would have to turn this into your full time job.

Enough said. Lets move on.
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:03 am

Yah.. it makes alot of sense. So next time if you want to tell somebody something, just tell them straight lah, no need to get others to help you relate your message. Don't make others settle your problems or something you are not happy about...... like what russell peters say... "BE A MAN"

Last edited by shotah on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:04 am

anyway, let us just move on from here and try to make this place a better one.

As mentioned earlier, we would only moderate those points that I mentioned above. We do not want to compromise on those as we feel that that is the wrong way to go. If you feel very strongly about that, you may start a new thread in the suggestion forum on how it may be done better and we can debate and discuss. If forum members are acceptable, we would implement changes.

Let us focus on golf and making friends instead.

Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:07 am

Sunny,

If I may, since you ask then I wouldn't hold back. I miss the days in
T-Hse where UL are free to drop his comments, in his capacity able
arrange games for newbie, buaya us around and connect with all of us.
Yes, there answer is that UL can come anytime and tell us that he is
not banned, but it isn't the same anymore.

Yes, for whatever reason, where he implied unfavorable comments about
this forum, I felt is his right of speech. Furthermore it's a context
that out of the scope of this forum and it wasn't not here.

Yes, he arrange with members here and the gang from other forum. Isn't
that his right to arrange game with other forum, even if they had made
unfavorable comments, let the members to decide when they want to go or
not. Let people judge for themselves whether the cliq of the other side
is worth their time.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:11 am

shotah wrote:
Yah.. it makes alot of sense. So next time if you want to tell somebody something, just tell them straight lah, no need to get others to help you relate your message. Don't make others settle your problems or something you are not happy about...... like what russell peters say... "BE A MAN"

If you are referring to MT case, I had a lot of things to settle that day as it was caps collection day and I need to settle the admin stuff beside my own work and I did ask MC if he is free enough to talk to MT and ask him not to play pranks anymore as it is not funny and the real redbull had complained.

MC is also part of the team and we do not see anything wrong with splitting duties. Or am I suppose to run this forum like a one-man show then would you be happy?

Anyway, regarding MT's case, let's move on.

sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:17 am

Khorkar wrote:
Sunny,

is worth their time.

Hi Khokar,

the concern about this is not about the unfavourable comments but the enmity that exists between some members and we do not want conflicts to happen and UL is well aware of that as we have spoken to him privately on the matter.

Please refer to S70b detailed response to your comment.

We have never stopped any members from going to other forums. Some members are in fact active members on both forums and we welcome those members wholeheartedly.

shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:21 am

sunny wrote:
Khorkar wrote:
Sunny,

is worth their time.

Hi Khokar,

the concern about this is not about the unfavourable comments but the enmity that exists between some members and we do not want conflicts to happen and UL is well aware of that as we have spoken to him privately on the matter.

Please refer to S70b detailed response to your comment.

We have never stopped any members from going to other forums. Some members are in fact active members on both forums and we welcome those members wholeheartedly.

Well, I still do not understand what UL has done wrong seriously after hearing his side of the story.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:23 am

which is why we reiterate that UL is free to continue posting should he wish.

shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:25 am

Sometimes i can't help but thinking otherwise if you say that its not commercialised... remember the TGM episode dear moderators? you guys say we (or should i say I because i was 25 in this issue) flaming a certain person... then you guys started defending him afraid that a person who is not a certified pro, who hardly plays even or under par in his home club and come here educate others the wrong things. What did we do wrong then by questioning his postings? Did we do that to other pros who have the necessary credentials? Then somebody posted the picture of the swing and then you guys got all excited and started deleting stuff... I remember one moderator was chatting with me and then once he see that certain pro post, ask me quick quick, he posted bullshit again. Should ask him where he got his credentials from. Now why was the moderators so defensive, were they worried that the people from the TGM side pull off from the forum or they worried that they wouldn't support their charity.

Then we flame charity? Who actually kick off the whole charity thingy? was it GR??? no, it was a ikasu vs prototype game. 16 players got together, have a game, 18 hole, lunch then another bro ask if we want to donate.... so we donate without even asking to who.... try that on your regular malaysia games moderators.

I feel that the moderators or the moderator is always afraid that people will jump ship. Trying to prevent people from joining games that may involve people from other forum. Protecting the GR members??? Or protecting your backyard??? Please always remember, Poaching will not work when there are no temptations
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:32 am

no wonder these few days in dong guan, i feel that my eyebrow is twitching more than some other part of my body which has been extremely active here.

u guys have been using my name, talking about me, etc etc etc.

sigh... in future, i think i better put some intellectual property rights or copyright on my name, so that i can threaten legal action if someone misuses or abuses my name... i have no choice but to do this as the eyebrow twitching is extremely distracting... especially when you are trying to use your eyes to look at some crucial parts and components in the "factories" here...

anyway, you guys can use me for example, can use my event for example etc. i don't mind.. but the crucial discussion here is, DO YOU MISS TOONSHOUSE. lets not go off-topic and start dropping my name or my incident with redbull like an atomic bomb......... at the end of the day, it was my fault, and i hope many people learnt something about this forum from this incident, be it positive or otherwise.

as for phone call, i definitely preferred that MUAR CHEE called me instead of SUNNY. why? because i love muar chee so much... in fact, i'm missing him so much in dong guan, i had to go and make a mask of his face.... i even consulted ian poulter how he made the headcover with his face as i wanted to make one with MUAR chee's face on it.. but ian poulter told me "NO STOCK"

sigh... MC, seems like you are destined to be "NO STOCKED" forever....

anyway, where got enmity between members... who here don't like the people in 1800 please stand up like a man and say! then we can send u guys for some counselling and drinking sessions so that u all will solve your enmity and we can invite uncle lau back cos he will not be causing any more problems, but instead, be sowing goodwill.... which was his original intention anyway.

anyway muar chee, although i may sound sarcastic, u know my true feelings towards u... i have been trying to butter "THE MAN" up and telling him to keep some stock for u in future... so far, i had to light 82 sticks of cigarettes, pour 3925 cups of tea, carry his bag 3456 times and also give him shoulder massage... but he still tell me he considering about your "stock"......

anyway, all other people, no need to be so sensitive lah. at the end of the day, life still goes on, whether or not this forum is active, not active, restrained, unrestrained, knowledgeable, unknowledgeable, coloured nicks or black nicks... just take a chill pill and everything will be fine....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you miss Toonshouse   Today at 6:35 pm

Back to top Go down

Do you miss Toonshouse
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next