Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Am I short?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:37 pm

I find that I'm generally short, though the comforting thing is that its generally straight. Very jelly of older, shorter folks hitting further. And sometimes fairer sex also out hit me Sad

Will like to poll here what's the distance you get from your 7 iron. Does physical attributes matter? Will be grateful if you can also share your HC, height and age.

Here's mine
HC 23, Height 1.75m, 38yo
7i - 120m

Lastly, any tips to getting more distance from irons
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:04 pm

Hi mate
Yes you are very short. ..
I'm older shorter n my 7i is 145m off fairway. ..
BUT, The good thing is you can still improve And play much longer than me.. 

 cheers
Back to top Go down
triplepar
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 53
Join date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:10 pm

To me, maintaining a consistent gap between irons is more important. I dont feel bad pulling out a 5 iron when my buddies use their 7s. More important to put the ball on the green for a 1-putt.

That said, shorter distances could be an indication of poor swing/ ball strike. You may want to get proper help in those areas.
Back to top Go down
popeyex
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 104
Join date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:13 pm

matoonia wrote:
I find that I'm generally short, though the comforting thing is that its generally straight. Very jelly of older, shorter folks hitting further. And sometimes fairer sex also out hit me Sad

Will like to poll here what's the distance you get from your 7 iron. Does physical attributes matter? Will be grateful if you can also share your HC, height and age.

Here's mine
HC 23, Height 1.75m, 38yo
7i - 120m

Lastly, any tips to getting more distance from irons

My 7i distance is the same as yours. Still working on my swing. Good thing is that my balls go straight  Laughing
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2255
Join date : 2011-10-02
Age : 60
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:20 pm

Don't laugh. My 7i is less than 100m. Hope you find this comforting compared to your 120m. But I don't care. As long as I enjoy my game and can hit with other clubs, I am happy. Smile 
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:30 pm

chien wrote:
Hi mate
Yes you are very short. ..
I'm older shorter n my 7i is 145m off fairway. ..
BUT, The good thing is you can still improve And play much longer than me.. 

 cheers

You're my hero!
However I don't think I can improve further, unless I change my swing totally. My irons are consistent, 9i 100m, 7i 120m, 5i 140m. already like this for very long.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:36 pm

Don't say that Bro.. There are some bros out there I know who can play 155m straight even. .
Have you been to a fitter?  Check your shaft flex length and lie angle etc. . I think a lot of factors are in play.. 
What's your driver distance by the way? ?
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:37 pm

TDO wrote:
Don't laugh. My 7i is less than 100m. Hope you find this comforting compared to your 120m. But I don't care. As long as I enjoy my game and can hit with other clubs, I am happy. Smile 

So what club do you use for 140m if your 7i is only 100m? I cannot hit my woods well, so my effective range is only up to 140m. So if it's 150m to the green, i need 2 shots  Embarassed
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:41 pm

Short will hit short meh?? Look at thongchai jaidee..

Anyway 1.75m is not really short leh....
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5879
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 90
Location : Pin Hole

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:49 pm

matoonia wrote:
chien wrote:
Hi mate
Yes you are very short. ..
I'm older shorter n my 7i is 145m off fairway. ..
BUT, The good thing is you can still improve And play much longer than me.. 

 cheers

You're my hero!
However I don't think I can improve further, unless I change my swing totally. My irons are consistent, 9i 100m, 7i 120m, 5i 140m. already like this for very long.

Perhaps you might wanna consider re-shafting your existing irons to graphite ... It may help to increase your distance up to another 10-15 m maybe ... Besides, you have to hit down and thru for iron shot instead of scooping the ball assuming you've not done that already ...  Smile 
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:52 pm

enwee wrote:
Short will hit short meh?? Look at thongchai jaidee..

Anyway 1.75m is not really short leh....

haha that's what I meant bro. I'm not really short, but for my height I just feel that maybe I can get better distance.

and yes, I also don't mean that short people cannot hit far. As i mentioned in this post earlier, a lot of shorter folks hit further than me. Hope to hear from experienced bros here how to get more distance.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4972
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Always on the fairway

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:52 pm

It very much depends on your objectives for the game of golf

u r a handicap 23. Meaning u r taking golf very easy and playing to enjoy the sun, the golf course and of cos the fraternity with your buddies

If you don't mind hitting short and making par or bogeys, i suggest you spend some money to get lessons on the finishing 3rd of the game - pitching, chipping, putting
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:57 pm

Turbo wrote:
matoonia wrote:
chien wrote:
Hi mate
Yes you are very short. ..
I'm older shorter n my 7i is 145m off fairway. ..
BUT, The good thing is you can still improve And play much longer than me.. 

 cheers

You're my hero!
However I don't think I can improve further, unless I change my swing totally. My irons are consistent, 9i 100m, 7i 120m, 5i 140m. already like this for very long.

Perhaps you might wanna consider re-shafting your existing irons to graphite ... It may help to increase your distance up to another 10-15 m maybe ... Besides, you have to hit down and thru for iron shot instead of scooping the ball assuming you've not done that already ...  Smile 

Seems like it may be the shafts from the comments here. I'm been using steel shafted burner irons since day 1, for more than 4 years already. Will be very happy if can get 10-15m just from the change of shafts. Which is good for me because I do not need to change my swing.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3062
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 43
Location : North-East

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:11 pm

Just two things:
1) go see a coach to analysis the pb
2) go get a fitter check on yr iron spec n opinion.
Hope the abv helps!
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 2159
Join date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:38 pm


_________________
========================================
What's in the Bag

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:44 pm

another one of those threads which demoralize folks like me


7i....for 120m and below only.....sighhhhhh
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:15 pm

7i 120m enough to play white tee lor, your std GiR plus 1 plus 1 putt also par mah...
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:19 pm

andrew-golf wrote:
It very much depends on your objectives for the game of golf

u r a handicap 23. Meaning u r taking golf very easy and playing to enjoy the sun, the golf course and of cos the fraternity with your buddies

If you don't mind hitting short and making par or bogeys, i suggest you spend some money to get lessons on the finishing 3rd of the game - pitching, chipping, putting

Yes I am a high handicapper, handicapped by my wayward drives and woods  Crying or Very sad

I am comfortable with the irons, but hopeless with the woods. That's why I feel if I can get a bit more from my irons, maybe I will be able to play with irons only and leave the woods out of the bag. For example, if 7i can reach 140m, 5i can reach 160m. My pitching and chipping, while not razor sharp, is still playable
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:22 pm

pushslice wrote:
7i 120m enough to play white tee lor, your std GiR plus 1 plus 1 putt also par mah...

i play white tee. Par 3 no problem, it's often the par 4 and par 5 that gets double or triple
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:26 pm

matoonia wrote:
pushslice wrote:
7i 120m enough to play white tee lor, your std GiR plus 1 plus 1 putt also par mah...

i play white tee. Par 3 no problem, it's often the par 4 and par 5 that gets double or triple
Par 4 and 5 double or triple? Perhaps u should see a coach.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1270
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:43 pm

120m for 7i, I dont think it is equipment issue.

Before you go and change your shaft etc etc, post your video here.

Let the pros see your swing in slow motion. Then you can tell if its the equipment or the swing that needs changing.

I was hitting 120m 7i five years ago. Go see pro, distance improve to 130m last year. This year, saw another pro and 7i 140-145m (sometimes 150m). Purely due to better striking. Equipment no change.

And I am only 165m tall.

If 7i is 120m, sorry to say but normally it is the swing.


Last edited by Gray on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:50 pm

enwee wrote:
matoonia wrote:
pushslice wrote:
7i 120m enough to play white tee lor, your std GiR plus 1 plus 1 putt also par mah...

i play white tee. Par 3 no problem, it's often the par 4 and par 5 that gets double or triple
Par 4 and 5 double or triple? Perhaps u should see a coach.
Yah usually the par 4 and 5 will start with a wayward drive, sometimes OB, then kan cheong liao and screw up. Yes, I am seeing a coach soon on woods and driver.

But everything else being equal, getting more yardage from the irons will do no harm.
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:58 pm

Gray wrote:
120m for 7i, I dont think it is equipment issue.

Before you go and change your shaft etc etc, post your video here.

Let the pros see your swing in slow motion. Then you can tell if its the equipment or the swing that needs changing.

I was hitting 120m 7i five years ago. Go see pro, distance improve to 130m last year. This year, saw another pro and 7i 140-145m (sometimes 150m). Purely due to better striking. Equipment no change.

And I am only 165m tall.

I shy to post video leh. Anyway I am quite happy with the swing, because while it's not long, it's consistent. Quite hesitant to make swing change. Maybe I will borrow a graphite set and see what are the results. Hopefully got difference in the distance.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:00 pm

Gray wrote:
120m for 7i, I dont think it is equipment issue.

Before you go and change your shaft etc etc, post your video here.

Let the pros see your swing in slow motion. Then you can tell if its the equipment or the swing that needs changing.

I was hitting 120m 7i five years ago. Go see pro, distance improve to 130m last year. This year, saw another pro and 7i 140-145m (sometimes 150m). Purely due to better striking. Equipment no change.

And I am only 165m tall.

If 7i is 120m, sorry to say but normally it is the swing.


totally agree....its the swing. thats why I suffer like shit when I play with long hitters.

I once tried getting a 2nd opinion fm a coach....boy, he videoed my swing and I really cant believe the ugliness of my swing. I asked to delete it coz if anyone sees it, they mite puke and worst...it gives golf a bad name !!!
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2255
Join date : 2011-10-02
Age : 60
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:11 pm

matoonia wrote:
TDO wrote:
Don't laugh. My 7i is less than 100m. Hope you find this comforting compared to your 120m. But I don't care. As long as I enjoy my game and can hit with other clubs, I am happy. Smile 

So what club do you use for 140m if your 7i is only 100m? I cannot hit my woods well, so my effective range is only up to 140m. So if it's 150m to the green, i need 2 shots  Embarassed
I am now a wood man. For 140m I use 9w Above that I use 7w. In my bag there are Driver, 3w, 5w, 7w & 9w. Now looking for 11w, if there's one.  Sad 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Today at 4:02 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Am I short?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Short Shifter
» short pic quiz
» Short Dirty Trutle Video
» short game...do these make sense?
» Rhino 700 kicks Commander 1000's ass on short course..

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.