Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Am I short?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 125
Join date : 2012-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:44 pm

bkll wrote:
goh.YF.52 wrote:
HC 10.7, 1.72M, 19yo
7i 150m

I will be considered as a short hitter of my age, but will be working out much after graduation before going NS. I consider 150m comfortable when I am hitting the stronger ball flight, a mid-high draw, after having some golf lessons. In the past, my ball flight was rarely right to left, mostly left to right or straight, which average about 140m at most. And with this weak ball flight, my long irons distance gap is close, which makes me have to use my hybrid to control shots. Now, I am able to hit low shots with my 4i on the range(consider 180m normal, 170m on low) but yet to try out on the course as it might cause me some strokes during a bet. Do not overlook the balls you use, hard like rock balls feels bad on irons and rarely does it go long.

P.S: I never use a "distance" or GI irons before, hence all pretty 'weak' lofts. I have tried a ON-OFF cast iron 7i and I gained 10~15m but feel and sound too springy.

Hi Goh YF,

Can u share the essence of your lessons? Who is your teacher?

My 5i n 6i distances also bunch up.

Thanks.
My coach is Ronald Heng at BB range. Only attended for 2 lessons as a correction lessons as i am a pretty good ballstriker already but i was hitting it too short for my age and if i could get more distance out of my current physique. I am a regular at the range and it has been 2years i took his lesson recently.

First lesson was on basics- setup, posture, alignment and grip. Focus on a good shoulder turn. 
Not really much personalised as i seen him doing on all of his students on the first lesson. A good 4hours of extreme training( really good as he will still be tipping me while have a short break intervals in his lessons on other students). Improvement in distance- from PW to hit 100m on BB range, to 50* to hit 100m on BB range.

Second lesson was more or less personalised already. In the 4 hours of range session, I believe he saw my ability and modified slightly to make some moves less strict to fit me while maximising my ability. Working on full swing, shallower swing for woods and long irons. 

Ronald was hitting mid-high draws on the range and was pretty much having a aggressive look swing. Before his lessons, I was hitting high fades or pull hooks and having a smooth relaxed swing. 
After his lessons, I could say my comfortable ball flight is a high draw but my swing is still looking relaxed.

Improvements- Club selection with distance at BB range
Distance-FULL/Comfortable
100m-54*/50*
150m-7I/6I
180m-4I/3I
200m-special distance cause both my 4wood and driver can reach with minimum distance gap, probably is the ball.
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 125
Join date : 2012-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:57 pm

Lms wrote:
From my observation, it is also vary from model of iron. I can hit 7i of the MP68 around 150m but 160-170 when hitting the new Speedbladez and my dad 's Honma 7i . The lower loft and Regular Graphite flex certainly make a big different.
My best round was 73 when i hit 7i around 140m with 80% of my swing . Do we really need to hit 7i really really far ?
Don't really need 170m 7i to play sub 80s regularly when you have a solid 2 strokes to finish <100yards game. If not, have to squeeze out every single bit of long game you have, even so also cant guarantee the pars and birdies can out win the double bogeys.

First 18 holes of the year and almost sub 80s again with 3 birdies and 6 pars. 9 bogeys will be a score of 78 but ended up 81. "Good job" short game!!!! Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad


Last edited by goh.YF.52 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3469
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 41
Location : Live beside the King

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:02 pm

I only wish my irons can go straight and not far.
Always miss GIR for my approach shot, thus always ending bogeys and above.
Seems like Ronald can help me. 
Care to share his contact?
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 125
Join date : 2012-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Ronald Heng- 9180 4282.
But seeing those X-flexs shaft in your bag, "shivers". Even I have a hard time considering a DG S300 for my irons
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3469
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 41
Location : Live beside the King

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:06 pm

Thanks for sharing. My x flex are only for show, actually am more suitable for R flex.
Back to top Go down
Fatboy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 315
Join date : 2009-07-29
Age : 49
Location : West, Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:09 pm

goh.YF.52 wrote:
Ronald Heng- 9180 4282.
But seeing those X-flexs shaft in your bag, "shivers". Even I have a hard time considering a DG S300 for my irons

Good pro to learn some tricks from although he talks a lot sometimes when he is in the mood.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.permatex.com
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:09 pm

ChrisD wrote:
I only wish my irons can go straight and not far.
Always miss GIR for my approach shot, thus always ending bogeys and above.
Seems like Ronald can help me. 
Care to share his contact?

How I wish I can hit like u bro.. 5w from the fw already 200m.. U make all your shots so easy...
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3469
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 41
Location : Live beside the King

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:30 pm

chien wrote:
ChrisD wrote:
I only wish my irons can go straight and not far.
Always miss GIR for my approach shot, thus always ending bogeys and above.
Seems like Ronald can help me. 
Care to share his contact?

How I wish I can hit like u bro.. 5w from the fw already 200m.. U make all your shots so easy...
easy to go hazard. 
Need help!!!! Chien please arrange for next game.
Back to top Go down
Lms
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 21
Join date : 2013-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:06 pm

goh.YF.52 wrote:
Lms wrote:
From my observation, it is also vary from model of iron. I can hit 7i of the MP68 around 150m but 160-170 when hitting the new Speedbladez and my dad 's Honma 7i . The lower loft and Regular Graphite flex certainly make a big different.
My best round was 73 when i hit 7i around 140m with 80% of my swing . Do we really need to hit 7i really really far ?
Don't really need 170m 7i to play sub 80s regularly when you have a solid 2 strokes to finish <100yards game. If not, have to squeeze out every single bit of long game you have, even so also cant guarantee the pars and birdies can out win the double bogeys.

First 18 holes of the year and almost sub 80s again with 3 birdies and 6 pars. 9 bogeys will be a score of 78 but ended up 81. "Good job" short game!!!! Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad

You said it all . I don't think you would need to hit 7i more than 150m. Not many par 4 over 400m. All you need is Ernie Els 3 rules to break 80 :
1- Don't miss the fairway ( with your swing speed 250m driver should be achievable -ofcourse keep it straight ). 
2- Don't miss the green within 100y ( or 90m) - This will need a lot of practice especially those 50-70-90m pitch shots.
3- No 3 putts ( for me it should be 1 chip 1 putt per hole if i miss the approach).

Also please check the Golfwrx site for the distance chart. I would say 7i 150m is very good already as long as you can hit it consistently and straight. If not, try to reduce it to 140m until you feel comfortable with the swing and then hit it harder.
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 125
Join date : 2012-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:58 pm

Lms wrote:
goh.YF.52 wrote:
Lms wrote:
From my observation, it is also vary from model of iron. I can hit 7i of the MP68 around 150m but 160-170 when hitting the new Speedbladez and my dad 's Honma 7i . The lower loft and Regular Graphite flex certainly make a big different.
My best round was 73 when i hit 7i around 140m with 80% of my swing . Do we really need to hit 7i really really far ?
Don't really need 170m 7i to play sub 80s regularly when you have a solid 2 strokes to finish <100yards game. If not, have to squeeze out every single bit of long game you have, even so also cant guarantee the pars and birdies can out win the double bogeys.

First 18 holes of the year and almost sub 80s again with 3 birdies and 6 pars. 9 bogeys will be a score of 78 but ended up 81. "Good job" short game!!!! Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad

You said it all . I don't think you would need to hit 7i more than 150m. Not many par 4 over 400m. All you need is Ernie Els 3 rules to break 80 :
1- Don't miss the fairway ( with your swing speed 250m driver should be achievable -ofcourse keep it straight ). 
2- Don't miss the green within 100y ( or 90m) - This will need a lot of practice especially those 50-70-90m pitch shots.
3- No 3 putts ( for me it should be 1 chip 1 putt per hole if i miss the approach).

Also please check the Golfwrx site for the distance chart. I would say 7i 150m is very good already as long as you can hit it consistently and straight. If not, try to reduce it to 140m until you feel comfortable with the swing and then hit it harder.
Long game gives you birdies but wedge game prevents you from worse than bogey. Lucky my putting still acceptable.
My flightmates and those who saw my swing before will say stuff like these," Hit more aggressive sure can hit farther one, you now smooth hit like that already.", "Why hold back so much when 90% of your strength can hit farther", Even my coach also say I swing like a LPGA when i look so "big"( should be fat). So, I am quite happy with my "comfortable" swing to be able to hit about 300~400 balls per range session.
My game is like a 24HC in wedge game, even a old veteran of 18HC beats me in wedge game Sad  Sad  Sad .
Weak wedge game is hard to play betting. If I am a single hc, and i give others too much strokes, if my long game air-con off, hard to play. If give too little strokes, long game on fire, kena sweared "buaya".
So, don't judge when I posted any score near high 80s, is probably a day where my chipping really "koya"
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 533
Join date : 2011-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:36 am

Just to make a point to all the insecure short hitters out there. Yes , short game is
Important in golf, that is a fact. However length off the tee and general distance if not forced is crucial.

We re talking about getting 150m 7 irons, 230m drives with an easy swing at maybe 50-60% tempo? Don't talk about blue, how many of your 180m drive single handicappers can post the same scores off the blacks. Be realistic
Back to top Go down
meia07656
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 291
Join date : 2011-03-18
Age : 52
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:16 am

Due to physical limitations, I swing a lot slower or at least perceived slower. I'm getting the same distance as I was before my limitations and ball is going a lot straighter.  There is some sense for a smoother swing rather then brute force. 
I am 185 shaped like a bowling pin. Only workout use to be a 12 ounce curl.
7i before physical limitations 120-125
7i after physical limitations 130
Back to top Go down
Lms
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 21
Join date : 2013-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:28 am

@matoonia Here is mine for reference

Hdcp 7, Height 1.75m, 37yo
7i - 145m

10 years ago, when i was having hdcp 25-28 , my 5i was around 135m. I was younger, stronger and fitter than now but trying too hard to hit the ball. After 3 month training with my swing coach, he made my tempo smoother , better contact in the middle of the club face and most importantly accelerate through impact.   

@goh.YF.52 : i was sharing my experience only , not judging you or anything Wink . I have the same issue with inconsistent short games. Some days it just all clicks and score in 70s. Some days i can't connect with any club and shoot in the 90s .
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:39 am

Updated. Again let's just treat this as kaypoh thread to gauge distance each of us get from our 7i. It's not really to talk about lowering your score, improving short game, see a coach. Maybe change title to "How far do you hit your 7i" will be clearer  Laughing 

1. Matoonia - 120m. HC 23, Height 1.75m, 38yo
2. Chien - 145m, shorter than 1.75m, more than 38yo
3. Popeyex - 120m.
4. TDO - less than 100m
5. Duval - Less than 120m (not sure if true)
6. Gray - 145m. 165cm.
7. Derek - 135m. HC18. 40yo. 168cm.
8. tksoh - 120m
9. Nam Flog - 130m. 32yo. 1.8m. Well built
10. goh.YF.52 - 150m. HC 10.7, 1.72M, 19yo
11. Lms - 145m, HC 7, 1.75m, 37yo
12. meia07656 - 130m, 1.85m shaped like a bowling pin
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 398
Join date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:19 am

Been playing golf for some time, distance for irons is really not a matter, if you can hit straight and accurate, is more crucial to good score. Irons are for accuracy, that's why they have 3-SW to suit your different distance.

To increase distance is to increase swing speed, i.e. how your body can swing faster and not adding more power to your hands for brute force. Flexibility and strong core muscles play an important part. Perhaps doing more stretching and core muscles excercises is better.

It would be good if you can seek a coach and ensure your swing is good. A good swing will encourage tighter dispersion, consistency and accuracy.

Doing a swing change may be disastrous at the beginning, but it is beneficial in the long run. Take a small step at a time, it may be less damaging.

Went to see a coach last year, he did a video analysis on my swing and noticed a few areas to change. I must say that he is very good, he break the lessons into few half hour sessions and ask me to do one small change at a time. I had grip problem, reverse C swing, out to in swing, balancing problem, ball striking inconsistency. He asked me to practice after every lesson to get used to the new change. On every change, I felt very akward with my swing. I did 300-400 balls(over few days) on every change at the range. After few months, things starts to fall into place.

Before lesson, 7i 130m, after lesson 145-155m.

Just sharing.

Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 533
Join date : 2011-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:38 am

To the post above, you hit the nail on its head. Distance at your most efficient swing. That's what your looking for, don't just base it on raw yardage. Go see your PGA professional and get your swing as efficient and effective as possible, prevents injuries  as well
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:32 pm

goh.YF.52 wrote:
bkll wrote:
goh.YF.52 wrote:
HC 10.7, 1.72M, 19yo
7i 150m

I will be considered as a short hitter of my age, but will be working out much after graduation before going NS. I consider 150m comfortable when I am hitting the stronger ball flight, a mid-high draw, after having some golf lessons. In the past, my ball flight was rarely right to left, mostly left to right or straight, which average about 140m at most. And with this weak ball flight, my long irons distance gap is close, which makes me have to use my hybrid to control shots. Now, I am able to hit low shots with my 4i on the range(consider 180m normal, 170m on low) but yet to try out on the course as it might cause me some strokes during a bet. Do not overlook the balls you use, hard like rock balls feels bad on irons and rarely does it go long.

P.S: I never use a "distance" or GI irons before, hence all pretty 'weak' lofts. I have tried a ON-OFF cast iron 7i and I gained 10~15m but feel and sound too springy.

Hi Goh YF,

Can u share the essence of your lessons? Who is your teacher?

My 5i n 6i distances also bunch up.

Thanks.
My coach is Ronald Heng at BB range. Only attended for 2 lessons as a correction lessons as i am a pretty good ballstriker already but i was hitting it too short for my age and if i could get more distance out of my current physique. I am a regular at the range and it has been 2years i took his lesson recently.

First lesson was on basics- setup, posture, alignment and grip. Focus on a good shoulder turn. 
Not really much personalised as i seen him doing on all of his students on the first lesson. A good 4hours of extreme training( really good as he will still be tipping me while have a short break intervals in his lessons on other students). Improvement in distance- from PW to hit 100m on BB range, to 50* to hit 100m on BB range.

Second lesson was more or less personalised already. In the 4 hours of range session, I believe he saw my ability and modified slightly to make some moves less strict to fit me while maximising my ability. Working on full swing, shallower swing for woods and long irons. 

Ronald was hitting mid-high draws on the range and was pretty much having a aggressive look swing. Before his lessons, I was hitting high fades or pull hooks and having a smooth relaxed swing. 
After his lessons, I could say my comfortable ball flight is a high draw but my swing is still looking relaxed.

Improvements- Club selection with distance at BB range
Distance-FULL/Comfortable
100m-54*/50*
150m-7I/6I
180m-4I/3I
200m-special distance cause both my 4wood and driver can reach with minimum distance gap, probably is the ball.
i also went to ronald and my ball flight went from slice to draw
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3469
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 41
Location : Live beside the King

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:18 pm

Er.....But your drive still fade.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5410
Join date : 2009-12-05
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:39 pm

ChrisD wrote:
Er.....But your drive still fade.

I think he meant it in the artistic sense la...
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3469
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 41
Location : Live beside the King

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:53 pm

blee wrote:
ChrisD wrote:
Er.....But your drive still fade.

I think he meant it in the artistic sense la...
Blee, you know him inside out huh. But he still prefers girls.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:41 pm

you dunno wat is shot shaping ah
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 125
Join date : 2012-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:55 am

Happen to hit the 2010 Yamaha Inpres X Classic 7 iron. My normal instinct would be approximately one club distance gap from my irons like most strong loft irons would. My first hit, ballflight is relatively high, close to my 7 iron. Pretty strong ballflight and the ball just stayed in the air for quite sometime, and it lands. WOOHOO! Probably I happen to like thin or top it but i landed where my 3/4 iron would normally land. So, i hit it several times and it just landed about the same distance everytime. This 7 iron is probably 180m.
When i check the lofts and length, shocking enough, it is 27* and 37.25 inch. But ballflight is still high and price is high!!!
Results: 3 clubs distance gain for me.
The 2nd longest i have ever hit would be Callaway Razr XF.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:18 pm

27° for a 7 iron is really too strong
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5879
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 90
Location : Pin Hole

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:35 pm

weesern wrote:
27° for a 7 iron is really too strong

That is a 5i on my MP69 ... My 7i is 34 deg ...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:50 pm

goh.YF.52 wrote:
Happen to hit the 2010 Yamaha Inpres X Classic 7 iron. My normal instinct would be approximately one club distance gap from my irons like most strong loft irons would. My first hit, ballflight is relatively high, close to my 7 iron. Pretty strong ballflight and the ball just stayed in the air for quite sometime, and it lands. WOOHOO! Probably I happen to like thin or top it but i landed where my 3/4 iron would normally land. So, i hit it several times and it just landed about the same distance everytime. This 7 iron is probably 180m.
When i check the lofts and length, shocking enough, it is 27* and 37.25 inch. But ballflight is still high and price is high!!!
Results: 3 clubs distance gain for me.
The 2nd longest i have ever hit would be Callaway Razr XF.
Now come back to the qns?? The distance come for the loft not the length of the club? Question 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Am I short?    Today at 10:19 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Am I short?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Short Shifter
» short pic quiz
» Short Dirty Trutle Video
» short game...do these make sense?
» Rhino 700 kicks Commander 1000's ass on short course..

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.