Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Golfers with young children

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:07 pm

bomby wrote:
skybobo wrote:
Bomby, it's ages since I last played with u. I missed your bombing drives.

Can organise a game, CNY i have some leaves to clear.. last time i remember this forum (as well as the other one) was more active in organising games.. that seems a bit die down...

Can I join? ?    Beer
Back to top Go down
KY787
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 15
Join date : 2012-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:13 pm

My son is now my weekend golf kakis... Smile
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 828
Join date : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:34 pm

chien wrote:
bomby wrote:
skybobo wrote:
Bomby, it's ages since I last played with u. I missed your bombing drives.

Can organise a game, CNY i have some leaves to clear.. last time i remember this forum (as well as the other one) was more active in organising games.. that seems a bit die down...

Can I join? ?    Beer
Chien, if u dun mind my beginner standard, sure. Let's call pocketace to make up the 4th ball.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:43 pm

skybobo wrote:
chien wrote:
bomby wrote:
skybobo wrote:
Bomby, it's ages since I last played with u. I missed your bombing drives.

Can organise a game, CNY i have some leaves to clear.. last time i remember this forum (as well as the other one) was more active in organising games.. that seems a bit die down...

Can I join? ?    Beer
Chien, if u dun mind my beginner standard, sure. Let's call pocketace to make up the 4th ball.

Pleasure is mine mate. .  Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 828
Join date : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Great Bro Chien, let's decide time & place. Bomby, how?
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 437
Join date : 2013-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:16 pm

skybobo wrote:



Bro, how old is your boy now?
8 months skybobo
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 437
Join date : 2013-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:17 pm

Bear wrote:
The stork is flying my way again soon. It makes me feel normal again after reading this thread. Great thread and wonderful response from bros here. Cheers to all bros with such heartfelt advise!!
Congrats!! All over again....lol
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1170
Join date : 2012-12-29
Age : 40
Location : Central

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:58 pm

Nam flog bro,

I m a father of 3 lovely kids (boy n girls;8-2yrs old), I have to say that I m very lucky to have a understanding wife n helpful mother to assist me in tending to the ferrying or looking after them if I were to be late (from pm golf game) or coming home late from work.

I started the game with my wife under her persuasion to start but she faded along the way while I got deeply addicted to the game.

I will range on weekdays fr 5-6pm (if I can leave office early) b4 rushing to fetch wife followed by the kids. I m also lucky to be working under a flexible management who manages the office in an adult manner. I will usually take am leave n play b4 9am so that I can show face after lunch, I try not to play pm game as it is usually very rush for me to fetch the kids. I only play local games so the chances of getting caught in the traffic is greatly reduced. It's slightly dearer to play in singapore as compared to Malaysia but it saves u time n fuel. Money can't buy time and time waits for no one. Now while the kids are young n they wanna stick to you, spend more quality time to bond with them otherwise when they grow older, even if you have tons of time for them, they will find excuses to go out to spend time with frds or do things they like.

Like every brother says, golf can wait but family time waits for no one.
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 273
Join date : 2012-12-20
Age : 34
Location : Tomoto (Hokkien)

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:28 am

Bro Namflog, I will suggest u to either
1) hire a maid to help with the household chores or 
2) get a part time maid on sat to do those major household chores n ask yr nanny to do another half day on sat
Then u will have more time on sat morning to range or do 9 holes. For me, I went with options 2 n go green fairway (eng neo) to play cos there is no restrictions on flight timing n i can be flexible if my wife complain. Just sharing with u if it will help u.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:06 am

One thing I think we all need to be careful of is trying too hard to get our kids to play golf. We believe that by doing so, this justifies our passion in the sport and hopefully, allows parent and child to play together. While that may work for some, it doesn't always work for others.

Some parents get overly enthusiastic and force the sport too hard. As a result, the child comes more to dislike (or even hate) golf than to love it. This obviously backfires and we wonder what went wrong. Remember how your parents would insist that you finish your veggies at dinner resulting in many being put off by anything green and leafy on the plate.

This is a bit of an OT from the original thread but I did want to raise it as a point nonetheless. My son has a bit of an interest in the sport. He has a set of plastic golf clubs which he takes out whenever he sees me playing around with my putter. He also likes to help clean my golf clubs and mimics the same with his own plastic set. It warms my heart to see him do so but I remind myself not to push it too far. He'll be 4 next month - it may be time to start him on some lessons. I'll have to see how things progress then Smile

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 439
Join date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:24 am

Technospaz wrote:
One thing I think we all need to be careful of is trying too hard to get our kids to play golf. We believe that by doing so, this justifies our passion in the sport and hopefully, allows parent and child to play together. While that may work for some, it doesn't always work for others.

Some parents get overly enthusiastic and force the sport too hard. As a result, the child comes more to dislike (or even hate) golf than to love it. This obviously backfires and we wonder what went wrong. Remember how your parents would insist that you finish your veggies at dinner resulting in many being put off by anything green and leafy on the plate.

This is a bit of an OT from the original thread but I did want to raise it as a point nonetheless. My son has a bit of an interest in the sport. He has a set of plastic golf clubs which he takes out whenever he sees me playing around with my putter. He also likes to help clean my golf clubs and mimics the same with his own plastic set. It warms my heart to see him do so but I remind myself not to push it too far. He'll be 4 next month - it may be time to start him on some lessons. I'll have to see how things progress then Smile

Good point... we are thinking along the same line. Mine kids going on (5 and 7). Currently they are taking lessons from a pro together with a bunch of kids (same age). 

To me golf at this age is to have fun, not about results, let them treat it as a game.. not as a sport. No point pushing them if they are not interested in it. Now after 8 lessons, the two of them sometimes will asked me to bring them to the range and they have just recently gotten their own clubs. 

At home, will pit them against each other in putting game to stir they competitiveness, and recently they have just won in a putting competition conducted by the golf school.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 437
Join date : 2013-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:04 am

Technospaz wrote:
 He has a set of plastic golf clubs which he takes out whenever he sees me playing around with my putter. He also likes to help clean my golf clubs and mimics the same with his own plastic set.
Techno, that is so cute!

Aaaww....I am so looking forward.........
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 398
Join date : 2009-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:19 am

Bro Nam Flog ...

Your son is adorable Smile

You are still very young. Golf can wait. Spend time with your family. When you are old, you should be having wonderful memories of your families instead of the number of golf games/achievement you made

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:28 am

so comforting to find so many in the same boat. For me is worse, i play golf and soccer, so time management is really crucial. I have 2 kids 5 and 7yo.

Bro Nam Flog, I think the solution is to play weekday afternoon. Taking leave is the only way that you will not compromise family time. Good thing is u need to take only 1/2 day. I always play in the afternoon MBGC, 1230 tee off, 430 finish. Go for quick bath, and you shd reach your nanny place by 5+. You can continue to range during lunchtime.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 437
Join date : 2013-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:36 am

s-killer wrote:
Bro Nam Flog ...

Your son is adorable Smile

You are still very young. Golf can wait. Spend time with your family. When you are old, you should be having wonderful memories of your families instead of the number of golf games/achievement you made

Cheers.
Thanks Killer.  Laughing 

Great advice. Cheers
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:22 pm

for someone who have gone through this....

1) if possible, get a helper (there's going to be a debate over this but it works out in my case)

2) time management, considering your kid is still young, its important to plan properly


while being a parent is also a fulltime job, i still believe we still need our own time for activity outside parenthood, could a odd game here or a range session there.... but i believe we need some distraction to take away the burdens of parental chores

i was fortunate that i got a helper and inlaws to help out, and when the 2nd one came along, i did cut down on my games and range but somehow i still managed to find time.... as the saying goes, when theres a will, theres a way

just a suggestion...

when my kids grows up, i send them to childcare when they reached 18mths, halfday fullday whatever, but i really see their development in terms of social and communicative skills, it may take a few months for them to adjust but once ok, they just wanted to go back to "school" and play with their friends, gradually we would then ask them what they do in "school" and in due time, they would tell u their happening things they do.... it makes dinner hour so refreshing

yes, they will fall sick, its bound to happen.... but its a good time to build their immune system now before they reached Pri school

while i agree one should spend time with family.... but a little time by oneself is just as important, be it 9 holes, range session or even kopi time with friends, keep the sanity in place

all those bros that say spend time with family.... i think they also secretly think like me, but just afraid to say it cos they scared of their OC.......hahahahaha kidding hor
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 437
Join date : 2013-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:10 pm

HI Slinger, yes there is a debate going on about hiring a helper. And I think if and when there is number 2 coming, it might become inevitable.....
Back to top Go down
niwde82
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 58
Join date : 2013-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:18 pm

I bring my wife and kid to range with me. 1 kid still ok but if 2 kids den it's really hard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Golfers with young children   Today at 11:39 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Golfers with young children
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Golfers, respect the game when you play the game!
» Young and restless....
» Self taught golfers
» Hope for small golfers like me
» BriSCA F2 'Young Guns'

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.