Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:05 am

Any Predictions or insider news?

Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:56 am

Tough!  Neutral
This lands only belong to somebody. study
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:08 am

My gut feel tells me that SICC will NOT give up one of its course to Keppel. Many Ministers, MPs and VIPs are members of this club. They will likely object to this suggestion.

More likely Keppel will relocate Lorong Halus or somewhere in YCK.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:16 am

Keppel CC will most likely be gone eventually ... Sometime late 2012 to early last year, the Chairman of Keppel club gave empty promises to many potential members that the authority will likely let them have one of the SICC courses (hinting) in order to entice people to sign up for memberships ... I believe it is wishful thinking on the part of the Chairman ... The Land Authority will likely retrieve this piece of land for housing development ...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:20 am

I believe that SICC will lose 1 or 2 of its 18s. I know that it's unlikely given that there are a lot of prominent folks there but in the interest of promoting fair use and easing public outcry, I suspect that the government will bend.

As for Keppel, I agree that it may end up being relocated. The land in that area is prime and suitable for development etc. I don't know where it'll go but Lrg. Halus has always been a possibility.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:44 am

I heard Keppel may have a 5 year extension as the govt has no idea what to do with the land at the moment.

Just imagine taking back the course and then leaving the land empty for another 6 years. The members who lost their club will KPKB till the cows come home.

It also looks bad for the govt. Hence I believe that until the govt knows exactly what to do with the land i.e. no more subject to detailed planning, then the club will have their lease expired. In the mean time, it seems probable to extend 5 years at a time.
Back to top Go down
hurray
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:15 pm

I'm oso guessing that keppel's lease will b extended cos that area will only b fully developed after PSA shifts.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:18 pm

Previously I was staying in a rental flat in Margaret Drive for 26 years. I moved out in 1984. My mother and siblings moved out in 1985 as government took back and demolish the whole stretch of Margaret Drive phase by phase in the mid 1980s to early 1990s. Until today there is no development. I am just as puzzled as Tom why the Authorities chose to chase the poor away and do nothing about it 30 years on.  Shocked 
Don't believe, take a drive along Margaret Drive and see for yourselves.
Back to top Go down
michaelcheah
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:26 pm

being a Keppel member for a long time, really sad to see this situation lah ...  
really hope to get an outcome of the club's future soon ... Sad
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:52 pm

TDO wrote:
Previously I was staying in a rental flat in Margaret Drive for 26 years. I moved out in 1984. My mother and siblings moved out in 1985 as government took back and demolish the whole stretch of Margaret Drive phase by phase in the mid 1980s to early 1990s. Until today there is no development. I am just as puzzled as Tom why the Authorities chose to chase the poor away and do nothing about it 30 years on.  Shocked 
Don't believe, take a drive along Margaret Drive and see for yourselves.
They are waiting for these lands to grow.
They sooner they release, they cheaper it is.
FYI that area falls under the old district 9.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Bro ChrisD,
Margaret Drive is District 3 not 9.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Only block 6c falls under district 3.
Back to top Go down
Fatboy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:38 pm

What are wonderful place at Margaret Drive.

My primary school was and I also stay nearby.

Queenstown Library and the hawker centre there; good memory.
Back to top Go down
http://www.permatex.com
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:46 pm

My secondary school was there.

My golf journey started there too. Queens Range.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:59 pm

Wrong leh! I lived in Block 10 and it's under District 3. Smile
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:02 pm

mowen wrote:

My primary school was Queenstown Primary School from 1962 to 1967.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:04 pm

TDO wrote:
mowen wrote:

My primary school was Queenstown Primary School from 1962 to 1967.  Very Happy
Hey.... u are my senior!! Sebei old Senior.. I got transferred from bilkhall primary when they merge to Queenstown in 1984.

Remember always go to the Cinema and bowling centre.. and the ice kachang, char kway taw, and western ye lai siang at the hawker.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:27 pm

Yes, we used to dare each other to cross the monsoon drain after school on a narrow concrete curve beam. Didn't think of the consequence back then if lost balance and fall down the deep concrete canal. I think it's about 5m deep. pale 
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:00 am

TDO wrote:
Yes, we used to dare each other to cross the monsoon drain after school on a narrow concrete curve beam. Didn't think of the consequence back then if lost balance and fall down the deep concrete canal. I think it's about 5m deep. pale 

I remember that.. there are always stories of a white pale lady waving at you on that bridge... and the worse thing is I take that route everyday to and fro sch... and then stories of the vine tree at the end of the field... and our favourite game along the corriors.. "Sayy Long".. I think those from my "era" from queenstown pri will know.
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:33 am

TDO wrote:
Bro TDO,

I stayed around there too. One of my neighbor about Primary 5 or 6 at that time tried crossing that small curve concrete slab bridge you mentioned in that canal on a raining day. Didn't make it and was swept by the strong current. Only found him at Clifford Pier area. It was a horrible and frightening day for us as kids to learn that.  Crying or Very sad 

I studied at Birkhall Primary 1968 to 1973. You still more senior than me. But Birkhall, Queenstown and Strathmore Primary share the same football field where we used to have fun playing soccer in the muddy puddles whenever in rains and take bath at the schools water taps...great childhood memories...!!!
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:38 am

Ha ha! This thread become reliving memories of Queenstown and Margaret Drive. Maybe we should organize to meet for kopi session one of these days to relive it again.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Fastgreen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Can someone provide an update on the latest status of the clubs(closure, relocation) please
Back to top Go down
garath1981
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:31 pm

Any updates ? Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
jmchan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Was told by some one who attended the meetings.

TMCC to lose 6 holes by the end of this year
Marina Bay Sands will expire and move to Bukit Course (SICC).
Keppel will get nothing after lease ends in 2021
SICC will eventually be down to 2 X 18 Holes

Some of the highlights.
Back to top Go down
Sandypar
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:13 pm

http://www.mlaw.gov.sg/news/press-releases/golf-club-announcement.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday   Today at 12:42 pm

Back to top Go down

Keppel and SICC fate to be settle next Sunday
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next