Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 295
Join date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:24 am

TDO wrote:
"There will be less courses, and more clubs to go after 2040.."


By this year I probably already left this world ler. Very Happy 
ONLY the good die YOUNG, U still alive now I dont think you leave so soon!
keep kicking bro
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1158
Join date : 2009-07-01
Age : 48
Location : Little Red Dot

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:47 am

shorthitter wrote:
chien wrote:
TDO wrote:
I wonder if Laguna is also Proprietary?  scratch 

Yes. . Haven't you heard all the stories? ?
Don't believe everything you hear!

It seems like you have some insider information? Why not share it with the members here so that we can make informed decisions as to whether to buy Laguna membership or not?
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4972
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Always on the fairway

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:58 am

A friend  of mine recently bought the Laguna membership for below $40,000
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 1725
Join date : 2009-06-17
Location : Laguna National Golf and Country Club

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:07 am

That's what I'm trying to do!!!!


nutty88 wrote:
shorthitter wrote:
chien wrote:
TDO wrote:
I wonder if Laguna is also Proprietary?  scratch 

Yes. . Haven't you heard all the stories? ?
Don't believe everything you hear!

It seems like you have some insider information? Why not share it with the members here so that we can make informed decisions as to whether to buy Laguna membership or not?
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 828
Join date : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:12 am

andrew-golf wrote:
A friend  of mine recently bought the Laguna membership for below $40,000
Andrew, intro ur fren to me leh. I need to look for new kakis in Laguna after I retire from nsrcc
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4972
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Always on the fairway

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:13 am

skybobo wrote:
andrew-golf wrote:
A friend  of mine recently bought the Laguna membership for below $40,000
Andrew, intro ur fren to me leh. I need to look for new kakis in Laguna after I retire from nsrcc


haha

let me see what i can do
Back to top Go down
uluangler
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 25
Join date : 2013-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:51 am

shorthitter wrote:
chien wrote:
uluangler wrote:
Sole proprietorship clubs are being operated like a business, where the members have no say, only the owner decides. Classic example is Pinetree/ The Pines. Purchased in the 90s for 30k+. The then owner defaulted on a debt and Peter Kwee bought it for 100mil and renamed it to the Pines. Members had to chose to pay 14k or forfeit the membership. Chose to pay the 14k, and now club is sold for 300+mil, but members don't earn a cent and membership is pretty much worthless.

Hmm.. Should we believe what we heard.. ???
In theory I could buy SBS transit and change the name, up the prices and say all existing cards are invalid you have to buy a new one.
Public transport is, to an extent, a monopoly and a public good, thus it is regulated by the government. Country clubs are not, as seen in the case of Pinetree and Raffles Town Club. For Clubs that are collectively owned by the members, members are consulted before decisions are made, members have voting rights, AGMs are held and members cannot be requested to top up or forfeit the membership. Please note that i am not targeting Laguna or Mr Kwee. I am just explaining, in relation the topic, the different structures of club ownership and how it can potentially affect the member and listing examples.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5879
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 90
Location : Pin Hole

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:16 am

shorthitter wrote:
chien wrote:
uluangler wrote:
Sole proprietorship clubs are being operated like a business, where the members have no say, only the owner decides. Classic example is Pinetree/ The Pines. Purchased in the 90s for 30k+. The then owner defaulted on a debt and Peter Kwee bought it for 100mil and renamed it to the Pines. Members had to chose to pay 14k or forfeit the membership. Chose to pay the 14k, and now club is sold for 300+mil, but members don't earn a cent and membership is pretty much worthless.

Hmm.. Should we believe what we heard.. ???
In theory I could buy SBS transit and change the name, up the prices and say all existing cards are invalid you have to buy a new one.

SBS Transit is not a good example. The government has a controlling stake in both SMRT and SBS Transit although they are public listed companies. Therefore it ain't easy to acquire these two companies ...
Back to top Go down
golferx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 123
Join date : 2014-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Kepple club is my option as selling 15K now. Average yearly expense $3450 (inc MA fee)/12 months = $ 290. Twice per month play will break even. Anything more is bonus. At least i have no worry about membership for next 7 years.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:24 pm

InTheHole! wrote:
chien wrote:
uluangler wrote:
Sole proprietorship clubs are being operated like a business, where the members have no say, only the owner decides. Classic example is Pinetree/ The Pines. Purchased in the 90s for 30k+. The then owner defaulted on a debt and Peter Kwee bought it for 100mil and renamed it to the Pines. Members had to chose to pay 14k or forfeit the membership. Chose to pay the 14k, and now club is sold for 300+mil, but members don't earn a cent and membership is pretty much worthless.

Hmm.. Should we believe what we heard.. ???

The abovestated facts are accurate insofar as they relate to Pinetree being bought over and renamed as the Pines. I was an original member in Pinetree, paid $25k of my hard earned money after my first year of work. When the china man owner deafulted on some highway / toll project, the club was included as part of his pool of assets subject to bankruptcy proceedings. I considered topping up to remain a member of the Pines, but thank goodness I decided not to sink more $ into a leaky ship.......

Thanks bro for further substantiating the story.  

I have a friend in similar situation as you did. And I chose to believe him too.
Back to top Go down
Online
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:44 pm

uluangler wrote:
shorthitter wrote:
chien wrote:
uluangler wrote:
Sole proprietorship clubs are being operated like a business, where the members have no say, only the owner decides. Classic example is Pinetree/ The Pines. Purchased in the 90s for 30k+. The then owner defaulted on a debt and Peter Kwee bought it for 100mil and renamed it to the Pines. Members had to chose to pay 14k or forfeit the membership. Chose to pay the 14k, and now club is sold for 300+mil, but members don't earn a cent and membership is pretty much worthless.

Hmm.. Should we believe what we heard.. ???
In theory I could buy SBS transit and change the name, up the prices and say all existing cards are invalid you have to buy a new one.
Public transport is, to an extent, a monopoly and a public good, thus it is regulated by the government. Country clubs are not, as seen in the case of Pinetree and Raffles Town Club. For Clubs that are collectively owned by the members, members are consulted before decisions are made, members have voting rights, AGMs are held and members cannot be requested to top up or forfeit the membership. Please note that i am not targeting Laguna or Mr Kwee. I am just explaining, in relation the topic, the different structures of club ownership and how it can potentially affect the member and listing examples.

Thanks Uluangler for taking the words out of my mouth.

On a separate note, I wish to share that I had the privilege of playing the World Classic at Laguna this morning, courtesy of a very good buddy of mine. I testify that the fairway condition and greens were in pristine condition and the tee boxes were comparable to those of Sentosa Serapong and TMCC Garden course.  It was equally difficult with the numerous bunkers and strong wind constantly changing directions.  But in all, it was a great morning out..

 Beer
Back to top Go down
Online
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2255
Join date : 2011-10-02
Age : 60
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:48 pm

Not sure if there's any club in Singapore that offer Freehold membership.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1158
Join date : 2009-07-01
Age : 48
Location : Little Red Dot

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:24 pm

shorthitter wrote:
Yes there are a lot of people like that, and they have to weigh up will they still be playing golf in 2021, if not then no point topping up.

Bottom lime is we are selling many new memberships.

The owner signs the cheques but he does not have much to do with day to day running of the club.


I have to disagree because the owner is the one who makes the key decisions like it or not even though he is not involved in the day-to-day operations.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 828
Join date : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:09 pm

Bro Chien, u played world classic ah.......
Aiya i thought we can use this venue to rematch with pocketace & bomby
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:33 pm

skybobo wrote:
Bro Chien, u played world classic ah.......
Aiya i thought we can use this venue to rematch with pocketace & bomby

Bro. . We can play anywhere you guys want la. Your wish is my command. ... Just let me know when..  cheers
Back to top Go down
Online
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 828
Join date : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:43 pm

chien wrote:
skybobo wrote:
Bro Chien, u played world classic ah.......
Aiya i thought we can use this venue to rematch with pocketace & bomby

Bro. . We can play anywhere you guys want la. Your wish is my command. ... Just let me know when..  cheers
Let's aim sembawang. Heard after Reno it is very good
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:04 pm

TDO wrote:
Not sure if there's any club in Singapore that offer Freehold membership.
No i don't think there's any.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4972
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Always on the fairway

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:05 pm

Sembawqng is a good place to play

World Classic can play for fun. Don't expect to score well
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 1725
Join date : 2009-06-17
Location : Laguna National Golf and Country Club

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:27 pm

chien wrote:
uluangler wrote:
shorthitter wrote:
chien wrote:
uluangler wrote:
Sole proprietorship clubs are being operated like a business, where the members have no say, only the owner decides. Classic example is Pinetree/ The Pines. Purchased in the 90s for 30k+. The then owner defaulted on a debt and Peter Kwee bought it for 100mil and renamed it to the Pines. Members had to chose to pay 14k or forfeit the membership. Chose to pay the 14k, and now club is sold for 300+mil, but members don't earn a cent and membership is pretty much worthless.

Hmm.. Should we believe what we heard.. ???
In theory I could buy SBS transit and change the name, up the prices and say all existing cards are invalid you have to buy a new one.
Public transport is, to an extent, a monopoly and a public good, thus it is regulated by the government. Country clubs are not, as seen in the case of Pinetree and Raffles Town Club. For Clubs that are collectively owned by the members, members are consulted before decisions are made, members have voting rights, AGMs are held and members cannot be requested to top up or forfeit the membership. Please note that i am not targeting Laguna or Mr Kwee. I am just explaining, in relation the topic, the different structures of club ownership and how it can potentially affect the member and listing examples.

Thanks Uluangler for taking the words out of my mouth.

On a separate note, I wish to share that I had the privilege of playing the World Classic at Laguna this morning, courtesy of a very good buddy of mine. I testify that the fairway condition and greens were in pristine condition and the tee boxes were comparable to those of Sentosa Serapong and TMCC Garden course.  It was equally difficult with the numerous bunkers and strong wind constantly changing directions.  But in all, it was a great morning out..

 Beer
I have worked in both private and members clubs and believe me committes are there to make changes that suit the individual not the better of the group.. you see it everyday...
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5879
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 90
Location : Pin Hole

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:42 pm

TDO wrote:
Not sure if there's any club in Singapore that offer Freehold membership.

Juz like landed properties which are free-hold, the government can still take it back (e.g. for infrastructure development) and compensate you at the prevailing value of the piece of land which one can fetch at that juncture ... However, the piece of land that the golf clubs are sitting on can never be free-hold, at least in Sg ...
Back to top Go down
DKing
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 435
Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:07 am

Please keep all posts objective and avoid being personal.

Everyone has different experiences, even on similar situations, as such it is normal to have different perspectives.

It's to everyone's advantage if information, personal views and different perspectives are allowed to be shared freely. Just keep an open and discerning mind.

We can all agree to disagree.
But let's all agree to friendly banter.

Emotions may run high at times but a true gentleman always keeps his composure and manners. Let's all strive to be one.

Thread has been moderated.
Back to top Go down
DKing
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 435
Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:17 am

andrew-golf wrote:
World Classic can play for fun. Don't expect to score well

Couldn't agree more to this statement.

It's a course where good shots doesn't always reward but bad shots definitely penalize. You can hit a nice approach shot to land on the green but ball might roll off into one of the terrible tall bunkers.

I feel intimate experience of the course is a must to play a decent round. When playing there, make a note not to bang yourself up too hard. Just enjoy the challenges this nice course offers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?   Today at 10:19 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Which golf club will you advise to join after the announcement?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
 Similar topics
-
» How low do you grip your golf club?
» SGA Golf Club
» Weekend in Sydney - The Vintage & NSW Golf Club
» Danang Golf Club
» SGA Golf Club's Annual Golf Tournament 12 April 2011

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.