Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

who needs 14 clubs really

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: who needs 14 clubs really   Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:52 pm

So this is my dilemma.  the experiment with fewer clubs has been paying off, the scores are steadier. the bag is lighter etc.  The benefits for having fewer clubs are, well, just one, FOCUS.

The problem now of course, is this, what do i do with all the excess clubs.  I am not talking about the Ho-ing and buying of new toys that i have to sell my old ones.   My issue is that i do not play my 5 iron and 9 iron any more.  i am even thinking of canning my 6 iron.  I would rather choke down on my 4 hybrid any day and half swing the fella.

I am so disillusioned with the full sets that the industry of golf is trying to stuff down my throat, i didn't even get tickled to go down to the sale at Isetan recently.

It seems i have a deeper problem than just my golf game now, i have bag- lighter-iris. to such an extent , i do not think run of the mill set arrangements are even ethical or necessary for us social golfers.

i know what most of you are thinking.  Haragolfer is nuts, how can i play with less than 14 clubs.  

But think about this.  

1) How many clubs do u really use per round.  
2)  then how many of those clubs do you hit with 90 percent certainty.
3) How many of the intended shots actually manifest into good contact shots that follow your intention.

if the answer was like mine,1) lesser than the 14 in the bag, 2)lesser than half, 3) lesser than half of half.

because i cannot play golf for a living, i don't practise enough, i whatever.

then why did i want 14 clubs in the bag at all.  Not heavy meh. worse than that, tempts me to make stupid "hail mary " shots that only pros should attempt.  and i also end up playing slower and making more half baked decisions.

But that's just me.  And i am wondering if there more like minded folks out there.  Minimalist golf advocates.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:00 pm

I only have 11 clubs. .   Laughing  

Wanna compete? ?
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:05 pm

Used to play with half set only (odd no irons) for 2 years.  Made golf more fun that way as I have to be creative, e.g. choke down, play percentages etc.  

Now I have 12 clubs in the bag. On some days, I don't even have chance to use my 3h & 6i. So technically can still relief some more clubs from the bag. But I'm happy with the 12 I'm using now and will probably be happy with them for many years to come.
Back to top Go down
antegg
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Agree with you.  In my case I only use half set as well--now I only bring odd # irons (i.e. 5, 7, 9 + P, S, and a 60* WDG, of course i still need a driver, putter and sometimes an FW) for game.

One reason is I am still not consistent enough and do not have precise, accurate and consistent distance control, i.e. sometimes no much diff between #7 & #8.

Another reason is to be more focus and familiar with just a few irons instead master all of them. And also to lighten my bag.

Now I am also facing problems like have a few brand new or virtually new irons that i do not intend to use and hard to sell them separately.

I know in other countries the buy may have option to buy only a half set.  In SG it seems we cannot do that, sian ......
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:23 pm

Hara,

Sad to say ~ can only agree with 50% of what you put up in your post......

You see, golf is such an eccentric game (not sure if this is the correct term to describe this game)...... What we use on the course very much depends on how the course sets up and how we feel like swinging our clubs (or in my case my driver) on the day we play........ Why I say this is because the driver goes in the hand automatically at any tee box and as a result of that, our 2nd shot depends very much on our tee shot.......

Do you notice how strange it can be where on certain course, we will always end up using that particular club for our second shot ~ be it a scramble or an approach for birdie.... The rest of the clubs just sits in the bag and never see the light of day until maybe the next game ~ barring the fact that the putter will always get to see action on the greens.......

Thus, you can see from the above that we still need those 14 clubs on any given day, unless we have had countless practice rounds prior to the actual game. Then again, this game is so amazing that the golf ball never land on the spot twice regardless how many rounds we play on the same course..... 

Things that make you go Hmmmmm......
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:24 pm

haragolfer wrote:
So this is my dilemma.  the experiment with fewer clubs has been paying off, the scores are steadier. the bag is lighter etc.  The benefits for having fewer clubs are, well, just one, FOCUS.

The problem now of course, is this, what do i do with all the excess clubs.  I am not talking about the Ho-ing and buying of new toys that i have to sell my old ones.   My issue is that i do not play my 5 iron and 9 iron any more.  i am even thinking of canning my 6 iron.  I would rather choke down on my 4 hybrid any day and half swing the fella.

I am so disillusioned with the full sets that the industry of golf is trying to stuff down my throat, i didn't even get tickled to go down to the sale at Isetan recently.

It seems i have a deeper problem than just my golf game now, i have bag- lighter-iris. to such an extent , i do not think run of the mill set arrangements are even ethical or necessary for us social golfers.

i know what most of you are thinking.  Haragolfer is nuts, how can i play with less than 14 clubs.  

But think about this.  

1) How many clubs do u really use per round.  
2)  then how many of those clubs do you hit with 90 percent certainty.
3) How many of the intended shots actually manifest into good contact shots that follow your intention.

if the answer was like mine,1) lesser than the 14 in the bag, 2)lesser than half, 3) lesser than half of half.

because i cannot play golf for a living, i don't practise enough, i whatever.

then why did i want 14 clubs in the bag at all.  Not heavy meh. worse than that, tempts me to make stupid "hail mary " shots that only pros should attempt.  and i also end up playing slower and making more half baked decisions.

But that's just me.  And i am wondering if there more like minded folks out there.  Minimalist golf advocates.

Great post  cheers 
I use about 7-8 clubs in an 18-hole game normally.
For sure, I've eliminated the 4i, 3w, 5w from my game.
The 5i may be next in line. I hardly use it and even if it's a long par3,i would rather go with my hybrid.

Back to top Go down
golfsiao
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 pm

I concur...
I using 3 irons (5, 7 & 9) + 3 wedges (47, 54 & 58) + Driver + 5W + 3 Rescue + putter of course.
Total 10 clubs.
N sama sama with flashpacker, I m thinking of ditching 5I next most probably...
Back to how I originally started actually...I remembered was more fun and consistent too...
Well, just my 2-cents worth...
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:00 am

Guess I can use 1 real club and 1 fake club...

I use my driver and hand-wedge now as all other clubs don't work for me anymore.

Can usually play double/triple bogey per hole... unless in sand, then use hand-wedge after 1 or 2 unsuccessful attempts to get the ball out with a driver. Putting also use driver like a belly-putter. Occasionally, can also reverse the driver, lie flat on green and putt the ball like playing billiard.

Things ppl do to put some entertainment into their lousy game Wink
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:40 am

My highest usage are:
Driver....typically 14 times...regardless of how short the par 4...sometimes even on par 3.
Hybrid (21deg)....very high usage...
8 iron: anything between 120-100m
AW and PW
Putter.

so I can actually live with just 6 clubs.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:52 am

chien wrote:
I only have 11 clubs. .   Laughing  

Wanna compete? ?

i have 10. you win hands down.

driver: 43 inch prgr tour 10 degree.
4 wood. ping g10
4 hybrid: callaway diablo
6, 7, 8 irons
pw
gw
lw
zen putter

These days. I hit my 7i for my 120m shots. Where  before I used to hit and pray when i would hit my 7 for the 140m shots.  now 120m i shoot at the pin.  yeah i could hit 9 iron for 120m before, but never with the confidence at the pins.  

and the longest serving club in my bag is my putter.( credit to vinny and dgman.) has it been 2 years now, never need to look at another putter liao, so i have no ho-ing to do for that club ever.
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:57 am

I think it depends on how is your game play or course management. For those who always aim for GIR, probably will need as many clubs as possible. Distance and approach is critical to these golfers. For those who always lay up for easy chip and putt, probably won't need so many clubs.

As for me, I belong to the former, I like to challenge myself for difficult shots and have fun. Score is secondary, but the thrill to 2 On for par 5, recovery from rough, long bunker shots from fairway is a push factor for me to play more golf. I may not use all 14 clubs in one game but I may use some for today and some for tomorrow. I never know when I will need them but for sure, I prefer to have clubs to cover all possible distance.

There is no right or wrong, but as long as you are happy and enjoy your game, is the most important.

Enjoy! Cheers.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:35 am

I have to agree that scores should always be secondary.  the enjoyment of the game should always come first. some get a kick staring down birdie putts. some enjoy the creative shot making. some need to share stories .  its all good.
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:52 am

used to carry a SW for royal tanglin .
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:05 am

I still dont understand why golfers carry P, 50,54,58 and 62..
they so sharp with every tools?

then again why 14?  if they are pro and got caddie, value for their $ i think
sponsors would like to make ppl go nuts on wedges.

3/4-P cost 800-1K which is about 100-125 per club.  the wedges selling for 130-170/pc
and they give u different bounce, so if you go check the wedges u have purchase over the years
you will freak out.
Lefty carry 2 drivers one for left hand draw and slice.
I wander if any golfer carry 2 putters , for fast and slow green.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:07 am

Actually I wanted 15 clubs in my bag

But I settled for 14 cos the rule only allows for 14

Such is the fact of life...
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:29 am

uncleP wrote:
I still dont understand why golfers carry P, 50,54,58 and 62..
they so sharp with every tools?

then again why 14?  if they are pro and got caddie, value for their $ i think
sponsors would like to make ppl go nuts on wedges.

3/4-P cost 800-1K which is about 100-125 per club.  the wedges selling for 130-170/pc
and they give u different bounce, so if you go check the wedges u have purchase over the years
you will freak out.
Lefty carry 2 drivers one for left hand draw and slice.
I wander if any golfer carry 2 putters , for fast and slow green.

I guess it's the skill set. Maybe some can use one PW for 1-120m with accuracy. But majority of us can't. We use full, 3/4, 1/2 swing method to get certain distance. Hence we will need different loft to give us different distance.

IMHO, it is easier to get to desire distance with full swing with different lofted clubs then one club with variable strength/swing. If you know why there is 3-P, you would understand why it make sense to have ASL wedges. They all give different distance with full swing.
Back to top Go down
meia07656
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:35 am

If one is talented enough to do 3/4 or 1/2 swings and get consistent distances, by all means carry less clubs.
I also have a tendency to decelerate when going less then full swing.
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:52 am

What is the dilemma? You have 3 options:-

1. Keep extra clubs in storeroom
2. Keep extra clubs in the trunk of your car
3. Keep extra clubs in the golf bag ( if you are not walking)

I carry full set if I take the golf buggy, but keep my 6i / 3w if I am walking.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:01 pm

I only have 13 in my bag... 

Driver.. 3w, 3H, 4H, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, P, 52, 58, putter...

Generally per round.. depending on blue or white.. driver and putter used the most.

Off white .. 3w, 8, 9, 52... Off blue.. 4H, 6, 7, 8, 58.

Thinking of getting rid of 5i.. and 3H.  Razz
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:31 pm

I stop buying new equipment at least 6-7 years ago. That's how old my clubs are. To me the main focus should be in enhancing your skill, whichever weak department it may be. 
And yes, I don't carry long irons, too. Longest iron in my bag is now 6i.
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:58 pm

Women buy handbags, men buy golf clubs.

Not for functional returns, just a different type of satisfaction.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:15 pm

bkll wrote:
Women buy handbags, men buy golf clubs.

Not for functional returns, just a different type of satisfaction.
Have to disagree with statement. Not all women love buying handbags, not all men love buying golf clubs. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:25 pm

What's wrong with carrying 14 clubs? There may be times when certain clubs are not used during an entire round but what if the time comes when you need it but don't have it? Keep laying up? If lay up is your game plan, then bring half set every time you play and it will be enough to cover the distances without GIR.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:00 pm

Actually there's nothing wrong with having 14 clubs in the bag but it is very subjective. I have 13 in the bag and normally I would not even use all the 13 clubs during each round of golf.
Like what nutty88 mentioned, you won't know when you will need that odd club that has been sitting in the bag for so long. Smile 
Back to top Go down
hurray
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:43 pm

I have 10 clubs in my bag and do use everyone of them (of cos may not use all every round).
Good enough. But who knows I may start adding to make it 14 if it does really improve my score  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: who needs 14 clubs really   Today at 4:29 am

Back to top Go down

who needs 14 clubs really
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next