Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:20 am

I've noticed that my 23* hybrid was hitting about the same distances as my driver (around 180m). However I realized I was hitting my hybrid wrongly, using more of a wood swing than an iron swing. So yesterday at the range I started hitting the hybrid like an iron and I was amazed at the results.. I was hitting regularly over 200m with 23*. In contrast, my driver was still only getting around 180m.

Is it usual to hit further or the same with the hybrid compared to the driver, or am I doing something wrong with my driver swing?  scratch
Back to top Go down
TLHENG
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:39 am

use your hybrid to tee-off then.  is that a problem for you?
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:53 am

Get your swing check out... loads of potential problem. Angle of attack, Shaft too stiff, not hitting centre of face, casting, driver too heavy or light... 23* hybrid cannot be longer than the driver.

If not.. just tee off with Hybrid. No one is forcing you to use the driver right?
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:54 am

Sell away your driver. Looks like you dun need it.  Cool 

on a more serious note, if you are hitting over 200m (thats a bout 220yards) regularly with your 23*, you are hitting it very well, even further than Luke Donald. http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/whats-in-my-bag/2009-07/lukedonald_golfbag?currentPage=1

I strongly recommend you seek a coach and go pro.

Go Gym Rat!
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:58 am

Gymrat76 wrote:
I've noticed that my 23* hybrid was hitting about the same distances as my driver (around 180m). However I realized I was hitting my hybrid wrongly, using more of a wood swing than an iron swing. So yesterday at the range I started hitting the hybrid like an iron and I was amazed at the results.. I was hitting regularly over 200m with 23*. In contrast, my driver was still only getting around 180m.

Is it usual to hit further or the same with the hybrid compared to the driver, or am I doing something wrong with my driver swing?  scratch

You are my idol !!! Mine only goes 160m.....  Mad  Embarassed  Crying or Very sad 

U should donate your driver to the GR AA Donation. Then go see a coach. And perhaps get another driver...    cheers   Obviously something is wrong la...
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:59 am

Only driver is hitting on up swing, the rest should be hitting down.
Think your swing for driver is not right, suggest to look for a coach.
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:05 am

Err... thanks.. it was 200m unless they shifted the position of the 200m marker at MBGC lah! I was also amazed.. Very Happy

Okay will work with coach on driver swing else I'll sell off the driver and tee off with my 23" hahaha
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:09 am

nrafee wrote:

on a more serious note, if you are hitting over 200m (thats a bout 220yards) regularly with your 23*, you are hitting it very well, even further than Luke Donald. http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/whats-in-my-bag/2009-07/lukedonald_golfbag?currentPage=1

I strongly recommend you seek a coach and go pro.

Go Gym Rat!

Distance is nothing without control la.. mine is still all over the place at times  No
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:31 am

I used to have same problem, only mine was 5w=driver, went to see a fitter with a launch monitor.
Problem is obviously the address setup and swing. My driver ball flight goes straight and high (too high), results show I'm hitting down 2+deg which causes ball to balloon up, losing tons of distance. The situation got worst when I tried to compensate the high ball flight with teeing the ball lower at address, Big Mistake!

Anyway, fitter recommended some swing fixes and recommended shaft settings and its all good now. Moral of the story, seek professional help.
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:38 am

Thank you. I do feel that perhaps I have a similar problem. Ball launches pretty high and doesn't have the "punch" like when I hit the hybrid. Will go check with a coach and/or fitter.
Back to top Go down
gingerus
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:25 pm

what a good problem to have. 23* hybrid hitting 200m. Use your 19* hybrid as your driver replacement and you can definitely go pro.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Your hybrid distance is really good, so I don't think it's a problem of your swing.
It's probably your driver that's letting you down.  Time for a change.
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:03 pm

You are just hitting the hybrid more squarely than your driver.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
kinglc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:36 pm

wow, that's impressive. 
looks like another pro in the making. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:04 pm

i have a similar problem (but not as bad as yours). I hit my 3W and Driver the same distance - 180m to 200m. In fact, I prefer the 3W's trajectory so much better. Alot of my kakis tell me just use 3W to tee off. But I ego leh and I want to use my driver! 

So I've been experimenting and experimenting.. And realized that adjusting the tee height helps. Not sure if it will for you but no harm trying. cheers!
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:07 pm

garylin wrote:
i have a similar problem (but not as bad as yours). I hit my 3W and Driver the same distance - 180m to 200m. In fact, I prefer the 3W's trajectory so much better. Alot of my kakis tell me just use 3W to tee off. But I ego leh and I want to use my driver! 

So I've been experimenting and experimenting.. And realized that adjusting the tee height helps. Not sure if it will for you but no harm trying. cheers!

Thanks.. but what about tee height? Was yours too high or too low?

For mine I follow the rule where at address 1/2 the ball is above the driver head
Back to top Go down
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:10 pm

Gymrat76 wrote:
garylin wrote:

Thanks.. but what about tee height? Was yours too high or too low?

For mine I follow the rule where at address 1/2 the ball is above the driver head

Mine was too high. In fact, I was using the feather tee(u know the blue color one that has a shuttlecock lookalike plastic that holds the ball) and had to change them cos the 'limiting mark' was preventing me from making my tee lower.

There's another way to solve it.. I choked down on my 3W so I wont hit it as far as my driver.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Hahaha... from what I've read its not a bad thing to hit far with hybrid or other woods. More distance and more accurate.. maybe I WILL retire my driver Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Dear Gymrat76

When you have the chance you should seek help from a fitter or coach who uses Trackman for their sessions. 

It is proven that by changing the angle of attack,launch and spin with your driver, you'd be able to hit it 15-20m longer. 

Kevin Streelman went from outside the top 100 in total driving to inside the top 75 last year. Check his YouTube video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0urgD5jY20

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:30 pm

Thanks for the tip Justin. Perhaps when my swings are more consistent I will do so. Smile
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:46 pm

jhan18 wrote:
Dear Gymrat76

When you have the chance you should seek help from a fitter or coach who uses Trackman for their sessions. 

It is proven that by changing the angle of attack,launch and spin with your driver, you'd be able to hit it 15-20m longer. 

Kevin Streelman went from outside the top 100 in total driving to inside the top 75 last year. Check his YouTube video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0urgD5jY20

Cheers
where to look?  huh Justin, did not U paid 30K for the trackman?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:18 pm

Gymrat76 wrote:
Hahaha... from what I've read its not a bad thing to hit far with hybrid or other woods. More distance and more accurate.. maybe I WILL retire my driver Very Happy

I believe the angle of attack and swing plane is wrong for your driver ... If you can hit a 23 deg hybrid to 200 m, am sure you can definitely handle a S-Flex driver ... What kinda trajectory you produce on the driver? What is the loft on your driver head?
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Turbo wrote:
Gymrat76 wrote:

I believe the angle of attack and swing plane is wrong for your driver ... If you can hit a 23 deg hybrid to 200 m, am sure you can definitely handle a S-Flex driver ... What kinda trajectory you produce on the driver? What is the loft on your driver head?

My driver is a regular flex (PING G25) at 10.5 loft. Trajectory is high and I'm still trying to get rid of my slice to the right. Not very consistent yet, out of 5 shots maybe 2 will be nice and straight  Embarassed
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:38 pm

uncleP wrote:
jhan18 wrote:
Dear Gymrat76

Cheers
where to look?  huh Justin, did not U paid 30K for the trackman?
Yes I spent 25k USD on my unit
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:25 pm

jhan18 wrote:
Dear Gymrat76

Cheers

Ya! I can attest to JHan's advice.
He has helped me a lot by giving me tips and training to increase my attack angle from a negative one to a positive one. 
That has helped me gain some distance off the tee.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?   Today at 4:15 pm

Back to top Go down

Why is my 23* hybrid hitting further than my driver?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next