Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

What's a good Drive Distance?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Khoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:35 pm

Yep. Looking to increase total distance. More roll will definitely been appreciated. Just back from the Marina Bay range 1hr ago. Hitting 225m+ on average. From 225m to 240m. Looking to hit the 250m mark on the range. And also maintain straight hits. Have been spending lots of time on my driver. Marked improvement from several months ago.

On the course average is 15m-30m further and also straighter. Depending on wind condition and slopes on the fairway. And also if I choose to T the ball lower or higher. I generally hit further with longer roll if I T the ball lower, closer to the sweet spot. The higher I T off, the higher the trajectory and lesser the roll.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:51 pm

Are you on level 1 or level 2?
Do you know There is a different in ball flight when u practice off ground level n elevated ground.

Since u are on 3/4 swing (average 240-250m), maybe you train to full swing; it shld give you the extra distant desired.
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:20 pm

enwee wrote:
I not so ambition....220m average dead straight i'm happy
I like, but how come U having swing change , equipment change and at NSRCC 3-4 times every week?
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:12 am

A driver 20years ago and new technology driver only less than 10yards apart. Cause technology mostly improve the forgiveness of driver. A youtube video on the first callaway titanium driver and xhot if you can find.
19 and above 180cm 230~255m is pretty decent. If you swing speed is 110> consistently then it should be about a smash factor of 1.38>. 
I am also 19 but only 172cm with endomorph built, driving only 210~240m carry, with minimum roll cause at my home course i can always see my ball mark in the fairway. Naturally i lose out on upper body strength and flexiblity, and have to work hard on my quads whenever i have any swing speed gain from my training.
Range time don't "waste" so much on driver as i find that my shaft lifespan is pretty short cause i used to hit driver alot too, maybe is mental. Now, my long game is pretty decent even with little range time which i was quite happy with average of 8~10 pars and occasional 1 or 2 birdies per 18holes.
If you dont mind my 913D2 review i can share too. I tried the 913D2 with stock 72S/62S/62R ahina, DI 5R and the stock red color shaft from m.rayon i forget what name. I kind of wierd cause i would normally pick 62S as the most suitable but, it was the m.rayon shaft that i feel the best cause i like my 910D2 with the 60S motore f3 feel and it is the closet i would say. Distance-wise m.rayon is slight shorter and 62R is the longest. Actually to me, i would advice you to get a 2nd hand 910D3-closer to tour head or 910D2 with 70S/60S motore f3. Motore f3 give me a pretty medium flight, as my other drivers are ballooning. I tried motore f3 50R, it is as low as my current 60S without distance loss, but i am not able to control my fades.
Other cheap options is to buy my Burner 07 tour. It is 50S stock shaft but is also one of my go-to if i need a low-medium ball flight. IF not you can try 2nd hand at FESC or CJ at below 120$ i guess
And also, my longest drive ever on this rainy day in SEL is 300yard aka 274m thanks to my lovely G10 which never happen to me again after 2years.
Back to top Go down
hurray
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:20 am

TS, how is your short game? Is it very good? 
If it is, then I think it's ok to spend time improving your driving distance.  But if short game is so so, y not u spend time perfecting short game instead?
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:26 am

@Khoe, you should focus on carry distance as opposed to roll. During dry season, lots of roll will give you extra distance but what about on wet days? Unless you can maintain the carry distance and use roll to max the distance, then it is a different story altogether. 

Frankly, your distance is already considered very good as a social golfer.
Back to top Go down
Khoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 am

Thanks for your views. Will keep it in mind. And also keep my Nike "Big Dog" in my bag. In the meantime, hope we all have good days on course as well as at the range.

Anyways, about the positioning of the ball and the T at the T box. Do you guys T it slightly higher above the sweet spot or like the pros who T it pretty high? What's your take on that?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:22 am

I did 25 putts yesterday at Poresia but my 2nd shots are killing me. If not for my putting I would have been buried deeper. HELP!!!  HELP 
Back to top Go down
Khoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:24 am

Solid percentage. More than half to 3/4s are 1 putts. Keep up the good putting!

Can you give me some advice for putting?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:31 am

Khoe Enterprises wrote:
Solid percentage. More than half to 3/4s are 1 putts. Keep up the good putting!

Can you give me some advice for putting?
Ha! Ha! Luck plays a part yesterday. That's my best putting record ever. Normally I average 32.  
As for tips, pray for lots of luck like me. Very Happy 

Last edited by TDO on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Khoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:32 am

true. but 32 is also pretty good. What's the best advice you ever gave or received for putting?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:34 am

I think it's more down to feel. And I like heavy putters. 
Back to top Go down
Khoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:39 am

Well said. How about the grip?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:44 am

Red Karma grip. Nice feel. I think it's original from putter because I bought this putter from a bro Begbie here and it's still with me the past 2 years. I like the feel. His loss is my gain. Ha! Ha!
Back to top Go down
Khoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:47 am

Haha. Happy you found your ideal putter. I'm using my dad's old Centre shafted Odyssey blade putter. Old Tiger shark grip. Still need to work on my putting. That's why looking for ways to improve my shots the green.
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:47 am

Less putts? Don't regulation on and chip near for 1 putt:X Just kidding, i haven achieved sub 30 putts per round yet Sad
Back to top Go down
Khoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:51 am

Haha true. Easier said than done though. Some people say envision a circle with a radius around the hole. Then don't be too ambitious to go for a 1 putt but aim to stop inside that circle for a good easy 2 putt. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
yanhaotiong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Khoe Enterprises wrote:
Thanks for your views. Will keep it in mind. And also keep my Nike "Big Dog" in my bag. In the meantime, hope we all have good days on course as well as at the range.

Anyways, about the positioning of the ball and the T at the T box. Do you guys T it slightly higher above the sweet spot or like the pros who T it pretty high? What's your take on that?

I think it is dependent on their swing characteristics and angle of attack. If you have a steep angle of attack teeing it down will probably help? Not sure about this.

Also people on tour go for the highest launch and lowest spinning combination they can get. One of the reasons they play lower lofts is probably to keep the spin rate down due to their angle of attack. If you see ur ball launching too high and ballooning I think you should change your shaft and get fitted instead.

And your 3/4 swing may actually be a full swing to begin with so probably better to look for a coach before trying to lengthen you swing. If you are really interested in your stats and how they compare up, look up for Justin Han. He's also a really good coach if you are willing to invest the money. Alternatively just play with more people our age and see where your distances stand.
Back to top Go down
Khoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Good feedback. Thanks. But roughly how much more distance does a tour driver give? Due to the smaller, more compact face, it would definitely give a slight increase in distance in exchange for the normal driver's more forgiving factor.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:12 pm

I have both D2 and D3. Seems not much different. But when I put on a tour x shaft. It does gives me about 10m more roll perhaps.
Back to top Go down
Khoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:13 pm

Nice. Always wanted a D2. Where did you get both your clubs from?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:21 pm

My average drive with my Callaway Diablo Octane 10.5owith SR stock shaft give me a total distance of about 220 yds. Sometimes on a good hit I get 260 yds.I am happy with the performance of the driver. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Khoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Sounds like you've got a good driver swing.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:23 pm

One from eBay, another from golfdirect.
Back to top Go down
Khoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks. Golf Direct is always a great place to get golf things. Don't have to pay the shipping. Btw is Golf Direct US Specs or Japanese Specs?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's a good Drive Distance?   Today at 12:37 am

Back to top Go down

What's a good Drive Distance?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next