Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Akira Vintage Gold

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3798
Join date : 2009-10-09
Age : 51
Location : Wherever my feet take me....

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:58 am

With regards to teaching tips from magazines, there's no need to knock swing tips with a few pics. They may be band aids for the amateur swing, but to knock them would be to question the credentials of the likes of Sean Foley, Dave Pelz, and the numerous pros like Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson who share their winning moves with us mere mortals.

Where such tips fall short is when the reader doesn't understand or executes the tips inefficiently. And of course there is the lack of a teaching pro's watchful eye.

But in essence, the tips would be the same time tested advice taught any teaching pro.

Instruction articles are the most read and requested for in a golf magazine, so there must be some value in them.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:06 am

2008 wrote:
Akira 7 iron loft 28 deg
Mizuno mp64 5 iron loft 27deg
Shaft Length 0.75inch different

A typical weekend hacker most likely cannot hit a typical brand 5 iron loft 27deg consistently, in this case how to play the Akira 7 iron and so on...

Just thinking out loud
So what does it show?? Length of the clubs does not matter when it come to distance?
Back to top Go down
JasonLoong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 31
Join date : 2014-06-05
Location : Champions Golf

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:11 am

Birdman wrote:
It's not inconceivable that Jason hits his irons that long.

Consider the following factors:

1) Being a pro, his core strength is probably way above that of us who spends several hours with our asses in an office chair. We'd be fooling ourselves to think we can even come close to their regular distances.

2) The chart distances used as examples previously are the tour averages, of which are calibrated for accuracy more than ultimate distance. Lest we forget, they swing at 80% for control.

In a recent Golf Digest article, Ernie Els PW average distance is 121.5m. If he swings at 100%, that would translate to 145.8m. Not so unbelievable a distance now is it?

3) Throw in the equipment factor of stronger lofts and longer shafts as mentioned before, it really isn't surprising that Jason can claim those distances.

Two questions though...

How many pros, let alone amateurs, have you heard of playing the Akira Vintage Golds?

With all due respect to Jason, if he's hitting those amazing distances consistently and accurately, wouldn't he be better served cleaning up on tour rather than teaching?  scratch

true , which is why I'm not teaching full-time as im participating in other tournaments overseas. Its not all teaching for me. Networking is important as well.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:26 am

Jason, if you don't mind me asking, how does the Akira Vintage Gold irons compare to the irons of the more common brands in the market these days?

I'll be honest to say that I know little about Akira other than it caters to a niche market. That does not make it bad or elite but rather that it does not have a market presence which is as wide as the other US-type brands.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5879
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 90
Location : Pin Hole

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:19 am

Birdman wrote:
... With all due respect to Jason, if he's hitting those amazing distances consistently and accurately, wouldn't he be better served cleaning up on tour rather than teaching?  scratch

Competing in Tours is more than just hitting ball long and accurately ... Well, the latter is of course a lot more difficult to achieve than the former ... Even tour Pros have difficulty hitting balls consistently accurate all the time ... Golfers of tour calibre requires strong mental strength, sound game plan for that particular course, physically fit to play consistently for 4 rounds and solid short game in addition to be able to hit long and accurately ... In other words, they must be all-rounder.  Laughing 

That suggests why many teaching Pros are not of Tour Calibre playing Pros ...  Wink
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5879
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 90
Location : Pin Hole

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:25 am

Birdman wrote:
With regards to teaching tips from magazines, there's no need to knock swing tips with a few pics. They may be band aids for the amateur swing, but to knock them would be to question the credentials of the likes of Sean Foley, Dave Pelz, and the numerous pros like Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson who share their winning moves with us mere mortals.

Where such tips fall short is when the reader doesn't understand or executes the tips inefficiently. And of course there is the lack of a teaching pro's watchful eye.

But in essence, the tips would be the same time tested advice taught any teaching pro.

Instruction articles are the most read and requested for in a golf magazine, so there must be some value in them.

"Sometime"  the tips in the mags can be gimmicky ....They are there to help to generate readership ...  Laughing
Back to top Go down
2008
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 754
Join date : 2011-07-03
Location : Club House

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:49 pm

enwee wrote:
2008 wrote:
Akira 7 iron loft 28 deg
Mizuno mp64 5 iron loft 27deg
Shaft Length 0.75inch different

A typical weekend hacker most likely cannot hit a typical brand 5 iron loft 27deg consistently, in this case how to play the Akira 7 iron and so on...

Just thinking out loud
So what does it show?? Length of the clubs does not matter when it come to distance?

my post does not tell anything on distance, it is to show akira 7i and typical brand 5i has very similar loft.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:34 pm

JasonLoong wrote:
well , I'm no author of some megazine. Perhaps you could show us a few examples.
not all reviews in magazines are review... some are just technical information.

Of course if you just want to touch on distance alone, that's fine. Then how much increase you are getting.

if you want to do more perhaps more details like any increase in dispersion, looks of the club, feel.

Some of the guys here write good reviews. maybe you should have a look at them.

not against what you wrote but just some suggestion.
Back to top Go down
jamezponk
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 405
Join date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:00 pm

It's never how u drive. Its how the person chip and putt. I wanna learn how pros create a spot on centre of their 56" instead!
Back to top Go down
Online
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3062
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 43
Location : North-East

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:08 pm

At this pace, I don't bother if one can hit his 7i 190M! Sleep
But I admire those who game with a std club and yet managed a reasonable & achievable distance. Very Happy
But I knw bays at Champions fr almost all coaches re teeing off from an elevated ground. Wink
Back to top Go down
JasonLoong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 31
Join date : 2014-06-05
Location : Champions Golf

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:50 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Jason, if you don't mind me asking, how does the Akira Vintage Gold irons compare to the irons of the more common brands in the market these days?

I'll be honest to say that I know little about Akira other than it caters to a niche market. That does not make it bad or elite but rather that it does not have a market presence which is as wide as the other US-type brands.

I believe clubs are very personal. Nevertheless , if I were to compare other club heads like titleist , Taylormade or even ping , Akira club heads are more forgiving and softer. With the combination of shaft and club head akiras' made , its got more punch ( Spring-effect ) on impact.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:25 pm

JasonLoong wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
Jason, if you don't mind me asking, how does the Akira Vintage Gold irons compare to the irons of the more common brands in the market these days?

I'll be honest to say that I know little about Akira other than it caters to a niche market. That does not make it bad or elite but rather that it does not have a market presence which is as wide as the other US-type brands.

I believe clubs are very personal. Nevertheless , if I were to compare other club heads like titleist , Taylormade or even ping , Akira club heads are more forgiving and softer. With the combination of shaft and club head akiras' made , its got more punch ( Spring-effect ) on impact.

So Jason, I assumed u can get the distance u playing now even with the common clubs like titleist, callaway, taylormade etc? It's the loft that give u the distance or the spring effect from akira??? Sound so much like tv....lol.
Back to top Go down
JasonLoong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 31
Join date : 2014-06-05
Location : Champions Golf

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:07 pm

enwee wrote:
JasonLoong wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
Jason, if you don't mind me asking, how does the Akira Vintage Gold irons compare to the irons of the more common brands in the market these days?

I'll be honest to say that I know little about Akira other than it caters to a niche market. That does not make it bad or elite but rather that it does not have a market presence which is as wide as the other US-type brands.

I believe clubs are very personal. Nevertheless , if I were to compare other club heads like titleist , Taylormade or even ping , Akira club heads are more forgiving and softer. With the combination of shaft and club head akiras' made , its got more punch ( Spring-effect ) on impact.

So Jason, I assumed u can get the distance u playing now even with the common clubs like titleist, callaway, taylormade etc? It's the loft that give u the distance or the spring effect from akira??? Sound so much like tv....lol.


nope.... Not with titleist , Callaway etc.. Its because akiras' got stronger loft .... Basically a Combination of stronger loft + swing + shaft combination with club head =)
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks Jason. That's useful! Your candour is appreciated.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
JasonLoong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 31
Join date : 2014-06-05
Location : Champions Golf

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:31 pm

Your Welcome =)
Back to top Go down
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 324
Join date : 2010-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:39 pm

interesting review! it will be great for people who are seeking distance like me, but will probably have to get different wedges to close up the gaps at the shorter range Sad

I read that Akira, Golden Slam and Superman makes non conforming drivers with thinner face to achieve more distance, din't know their irons are good in achieving distance too, probably too expensive to buy and not so wellknown, that's why not many people has it.
Back to top Go down
JasonLoong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 31
Join date : 2014-06-05
Location : Champions Golf

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:49 am

Yes , Unfortunately. Tried them Akira drivers though , and it goes a mile =)
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:07 am

JasonLoong wrote:
Yes , Unfortunately. Tried them Akira drivers though , and it goes a mile =)
Miles? Because it's non conforming????? Question 
Back to top Go down
JasonLoong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 31
Join date : 2014-06-05
Location : Champions Golf

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:58 pm

ahahha yes because its non conforming
Back to top Go down
darthfader
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 9
Join date : 2010-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Sun May 03, 2015 12:08 am

ho eh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Akira Vintage Gold   Today at 7:53 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Akira Vintage Gold
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Similar topics
-
» Akira Vintage Gold
» Vintage Olympic - for puns
» OLD Gold miners songs
» vintage scuba dive turns up a GOLD WATCH, on first descent
» Cleaning your gold,

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Pro Shop :: Equipment Reviews-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.