Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Golf Ceiling

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: The Golf Ceiling   Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:14 pm

hey guys, IF here!

i was just at the bishan range (it seriously sucks big time but i'm not here to talk about that) and it seems like my game has reached a stage where i don't feel i'm improving anymore. anyone know what i'm talking about?

well my short irons (LW-8i) are pretty accurate and my ball striking with them is solid enough. i hit my 8i about 120m. but as i progress up to my longer irons everything goes downhill. i've been having this problem for quite some time and i just get the feeling no matter how many balls i hit it's not going to make things improve.

i may be just a little impatient here and maybe i should seek professional help, but looking at the ah pek in front of me hit his 6i longer than my 4i was pretty demoralising. (no offense to the ah pek) haha

i just need something/someone to drag me out of this quagmire i'm in and my dreams of being a scratch golfer may just be within reach! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:42 pm

Hey IF, are you a self taught player?

If you're playing your short irons okay and struggling with your longer irons I think I may know why.

Shorter irons require a steeper backswing as the clubs themselves are shorter in length. But if you use the similar steep backswing for longer irons you tend to either hit the ball fat or slice it.

Maybe I could help, but I'm adopting the single plane golf swing technique, don't think many coaches teach that here.

Where do you range normally?
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:17 pm

yeah chempro you got it! i realised my steeper swing works great for my shorter irons but when i progress to my longer irons i bugger up! haha

and yes i'm entirely self taught. for about a year already actually! haha i know i know it's bad but i'm still an undergrad so i can't afford such a big investment. well not yet for now.

i usually range at TPY (your fave hangout! haha) and sometimes OCC. maybe i'll head down to MBGC this wednesday and maybe i can get the resident GR pros to help me out there!

thanks very much for the offer chempro! Smile
Back to top Go down
helmeahmad
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:53 pm

at bishan got this nice coach name mash. he teaches really well. i been to few pro teacher but i think his still the best. he will give u classes in the classroom, ask u to right down notes in the note book and give u some importants papers for u to memerise. one of my fren turn pro in two years after he teach him. really. mash is a nice person who u can make frens with and as a coach. he have lots and lots of tips that is very helpful. if u want to try msg me 91541751.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:43 pm

IF, I'm in the same boat. I wanted to get myself back on track with coaching but my current situation makes it a little tricky (baby's on the way) Smile

Anyway, I think some coaching may be helpful to analyze the issues, determine where the faults lie and better your game. It is important to fix the flaws now before they become too ingrained into your system.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:00 pm

IF, if i might dare say...

think your approach to the game is not right, they are many aspects of the game that u have yet to explore/master....

from your post, it seems that u are not improving comes from the fact that u are not hitting your irons long enough or well enough.... but golf is not only about sweet shots off your irons or 6i going 180m, have u aske yourself

1) are your chip shots near the hole
2) are your putting good enough
3) your drives accurate on the fairway
4) wise course management
5) mental strength/confidence when u need it

so your 4i not as good as 6i from some ah pek, but that not the end game, work on your short game, work on getting fairway hits off the tees......

dun let distance be a priority, consistency n accuracy is paramount..... so wat if ah pek use 6i to put on the green while u use a 4i, as long as both u n ah pek balls are on the green n within 1 or 2 m apart, still game on.....

jmho

jmho
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:17 pm

slinger wrote:
IF, if i might dare say...

think your approach to the game is not right, they are many aspects of the game that u have yet to explore/master....

from your post, it seems that u are not improving comes from the fact that u are not hitting your irons long enough or well enough.... but golf is not only about sweet shots off your irons or 6i going 180m, have u aske yourself

1) are your chip shots near the hole
2) are your putting good enough
3) your drives accurate on the fairway
4) wise course management
5) mental strength/confidence when u need it

so your 4i not as good as 6i from some ah pek, but that not the end game, work on your short game, work on getting fairway hits off the tees......

dun let distance be a priority, consistency n accuracy is paramount..... so wat if ah pek use 6i to put on the green while u use a 4i, as long as both u n ah pek balls are on the green n within 1 or 2 m apart, still game on.....

jmho

jmho

o/s quote from a high hand...

hopefully u can "zhi dian" me on thurs... Smile would learn alot from you....
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:00 pm

there's a saying...

1) "not scared u drive long, only scared u hit straight"

2) "not scared u hit straight, only scared u damn lucky"

3) "not scared u damn lucky, only scared u seibei heng"

point 2 n point 3 goes to ppl like JT n his mentor TSS......

Beer
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:14 pm

IF:

I don't know how I can help you. I don't think I can even if I tried. But I know who you can go to - Rob Ellison. If you need to arrange to meet up let me know. I think he's the best so far.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:22 pm

slinger wrote:
there's a saying...

1) "not scared u drive long, only scared u hit straight"

2) "not scared u hit straight, only scared u damn lucky"

3) "not scared u damn lucky, only scared u seibei heng"

point 2 n point 3 goes to ppl like JT n his mentor TSS......

Beer

hahahahah nice quote.....

but not me la.... i need long....

fyi, my mentor drive very long... he not scare of anything.... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:44 pm

hahaha rocky now where have i heard that before! i think i spotted him coaching someone on the 2nd storey today! didn't want to stare but it seems like he was having a good session with his student.

thanks for the recommendation helme. i'll keep him in mind when i look for a coach.

wow ts can't wait for your baby to arrive! Smile congratulations bro it's gonna rock being a dad. haha glad to know someone's in the same boat as i am. it can get pretty frustrating huh..

thanks for the detailed reply slinger. i totally agree with you that my focus isn't on the right things. golf is built around more than just bombing the ball whatever yards down. as long as it's all fairways and greens right? haha i guess i'm just really impatient and i keep thinking golf is something i can (and maybe should) improve if i put in x amount of hours of practice and factoring in a certain amt of talent. somemore watching instructional videos on youtube where the drills seem simple enough to execute and they still hit their 7i 180 yards. haha

wah reading all of that again i sound like brat! hahaha
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:59 pm

Aye no prob ironfist, hope you can find a fix for your longer irons.

And what slinger said is right on the money. Golf is all about management, be it distance control, club selection or choosing which side of the fairway to aim for or green to miss at.

I hope to find more time in the start of next year so as to be able to join GRians on games Smile

P.S. GRATS Technospaz! May your child be healthy and happy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:03 am

haha nor lah maybe we can meet up and guide me on my winding road to golf greatness! haha i have to get all those bad shots out of my head so i might be going to the range again soon! hahaha
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:27 am

Drive for show, putt for dough.

I played with my pro couple of days ago. I out drove him on one or two of the holes and we played off the same white tee. Sounds great?

I still shot 20+ over par while he was in single figures. To be nursing a sore back, having a bad game and still shoot single figures really proves that DISTANCE AIN'T MEAN NOTHING!

IF your intention is to win LONG DRIVE championships, then fine. Go out there, but the longest and nastiest clubhead you can find and really pump those muscles up!

However, if your intention is to play good, low scoring golf, then hit the practice greens. My game from 100m in is all crap. Funny thing is I can hit the green from 135 - 150m but I can't do it from 70m. Hah! (So what am I supposed to do after I hit a good drive to 50m? Chip backwards and hit a 7 iron??!!)

This is where I REALLY appreciate shorthitters.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:36 am

rocky wrote:
Drive for show, putt for dough.

I played with my pro couple of days ago. I out drove him on one or two of the holes and we played off the same white tee. Sounds great?

I still shot 20+ over par while he was in single figures. To be nursing a sore back, having a bad game and still shoot single figures really proves that DISTANCE AIN'T MEAN NOTHING!

IF your intention is to win LONG DRIVE championships, then fine. Go out there, but the longest and nastiest clubhead you can find and really pump those muscles up!

However, if your intention is to play good, low scoring golf, then hit the practice greens. My game from 100m in is all crap. Funny thing is I can hit the green from 135 - 150m but I can't do it from 70m. Hah! (So what am I supposed to do after I hit a good drive to 50m? Chip backwards and hit a 7 iron??!!)

This is where I REALLY appreciate shorthitters.

tee off with 5w.... let yrself have a 130-150m to the green?
Back to top Go down
helmeahmad
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:17 am

yah lor. wat jaketang said is correct. use 5w. choose ur distance. like my favourite iron is pitching wedge where i can hit about 110 to 120 meter best. so when my par 5, i always like to have my 3rd shot around dat distance. same goes for my par 4. i always look out for dat 100m stick.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:26 am

You said it rocky! Drive for show, putt for dough *points to my signature* Very Happy

Anything within 120m is where the wedges come in. I carry 4 wedges in place of a 5wood.

PW 46° 120m, AP 50° 100m, SW 55° 80m, LW 60° 55m.

But sometimes its a bit weird to play my full length 60° if I'm like 60m out. Like playing a towering shot almost hitting the moon, all that distance traveled for 60m haha.

I've yet to master those 3/4 shots so till then I'm stuck with these distances Mad
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:55 pm

Jake: I don't own a 5w, only a 3w. Hahahaha... To be honest I am better with my Driver than my 3w. My 3w is my 2nd most inconsistent club next to my 4 iron.

And wow... you guys do hit it long. My 120m club is my 8 iron. My PW goes about 90m only.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:07 pm

rocky wrote:
My PW goes about 90m only.

That's cause you backspin 30m Razz

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Backspin don't have. I do backflip after shanking the ball. Very Happy

Technospaz wrote:
rocky wrote:

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:14 pm

When I shank something, I definitely flip something too.

rocky wrote:
Backspin don't have. I do backflip after shanking the ball. Very Happy

Technospaz wrote:
rocky wrote:

Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:30 pm

FLIPMODE SQUAD! Laughing
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:34 pm

Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:36 pm

OUCH. His future is so ruined...
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:50 pm

hahahaha failblog is hilarious! i spent 3hours watching every single video they had on youtube. haha

and my PW goes abt 90m too! that's if i don't tense up and gouge a divot out the size of pulau ubin. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Ceiling   Today at 2:27 am

Back to top Go down

The Golf Ceiling
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next