Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

How to hit far?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Nyc2014
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:08 pm

I've been playing golf for 2 yrs and my driver distance is 170 yards as a lady. Wondering how lpga player hit 220 yards? Reckon that I'm quite sporty person but cant even hit 200. Ask few coaches and friends and they just ask me to play longer and time will help u with distance Sad Anyone can help?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:12 pm

you might wan to consider taking up some lessons with some coach here, they are the best person to assess your swing and improve your distance and your game

gym workout, in my opinion, will help in your strength and flexibility...
Back to top Go down
Nyc2014
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. I had lessons in msia, sg also taiwan before. I do go gym 3 times a week too. Which coach in sg that u would recommend that might help to improve my distance?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:24 pm

hit far no use...

make sure its must be straight or in fairway ...

not scare u hit farther than me...

only scare u hit straighter than me...
Back to top Go down
Nyc2014
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:27 pm

Haha yeah of course must be far and straight...I need to get the distance so that 2nd stroke will be on green...otherwise there is no way to reduce my handi.
Back to top Go down
WY
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:51 pm

Assuming that your swing is relatively consistent, maybe it is time for you to take a look at the equipment that you using. It may be worthwhile to visit a fitting centre and get new shafts fitted based on the test results.  The fitting sessions themselves are reasonably priced, but the equipment change can burn a hole in your wallet.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:51 pm

Nyc2014 wrote:
Haha yeah of course must be far and straight...I need to get the distance so that 2nd stroke will be on green...otherwise there is no way to reduce my handi.

not true.... dun think u GIR, u can par hor

alternatively, if u hone your short game, u dun need to GIR every hole to get par....

there are many ways to reduce HC....
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:24 pm

As the golf veteran above would say, dun scared you long, scared you zhun!
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:12 pm

slinger wrote:
Nyc2014 wrote:

not true.... dun think u GIR, u can par hor

alternatively, if u hone your short game, u dun need to GIR every hole to get par....

there are many ways to reduce HC....

wise words from the slinger! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:20 pm

personally i believe golf is a game of distance and accuracy...some may argue the difference in weightage of these 2 factors but i tend to believe both are equally important.

to Nyc2014, there are a few coachs in this forum that you can consider, they are all very qualified...
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:28 pm

Sometimes distance is killed by high spin shots.. If you are into a bit of technicality about impact and spin rates, you can Google that and see if it helps you to understand the relation.

mytrackman.com/explore/trackman-data/trackman-ball-data/spin-rate
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:34 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
personally i believe golf is a game of distance and accuracy...some may argue the difference in weightage of these 2 factors but i tend to believe both are equally important.

to Nyc2014, there are a few coachs in this forum that you can consider, they are all very qualified...

I am with slinger on this.  not everyone can get booming drives and 7 irons that go 170m.   but every one can get accurate even when they hit average distances.   

Length is very important  but I have hit blockbuster drives and got bad scores; then i have hit 3 bad shots and putted fantastic to get par or birdie.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:40 pm

Minimum length is necessary.
Guys who wants to play off blue needs 220m drive, play off white 180m to have an enjoyable game.
Ladies need at least 170m drive to have an enjoyable game when playing off red. Average ladies tee off 150m and struggle to get regulation for most of the game. Even if u can hit striaght for a 280m par 4, tee off 150m and left with 130m, I think the lady will require to use min hydrid to reach in 2.
Back to top Go down
Nyc2014
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:09 pm

golf_snowman wrote:

Just wondering how can coach help me.

The 3 coaches I took lessons with are:

1) Taiwan LPGA tour player
2) Singapore Asian tour player
3) famous Malaysian coach

Neither of them can help to improve my distance. I don't think looking for more coaches can improve my distance. I'm 171cm and everyone said my swing looks nice. I dont think there is any prob with my swing. 

I've got 2 drivers and both give me same distance,

1) XXIO mens' driver R-flex
2) XXIO ladies' driver L-flex

Coach said that distance will come gradually..is it same for anyone out there?
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Basically, u need correct setup and also to increase swing speed, correct swing path.
Back to top Go down
timlim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:43 pm

My guess is there is no singular thing you can do to give that additional 30 yards, especially since there's no indication that you're doing anything drastically wrong.

Improvements to your swing and ball-striking, better-fitted clubs and balls, physical conditioning...maybe each of the above will give you plus minus 10 yards. Cumulatively, they can add up to 30 yards.

As with many other challenges, the last few yards are always the hardest to "squeeze" out  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:41 pm

Nyc2014 wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:

Just wondering how can coach help me.

The 3 coaches I took lessons with are:

1) Taiwan LPGA tour player
2) Singapore Asian tour player
3) famous Malaysian coach

Neither of them can help to improve my distance. I don't think looking for more coaches can improve my distance. I'm 171cm and everyone said my swing looks nice. I dont think there is any prob with my swing. 

I've got 2 drivers and both give me same distance,

1) XXIO mens' driver R-flex
2) XXIO ladies' driver L-flex

Coach said that distance will come gradually..is it same for anyone out there?
Hi Nyc2014

have you tried it out using the trackman ?

It might provide you some useful information...
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:48 pm

NYC2014, what is ur ball flight now? Draw or fade? Find fairway most of the time? Are u hitting at roughly the centre of the club face? Based on your height, you should hit 180m average if you hitting the centre of your club face. If it is a toe or heel hit, then that's another story. 

If you are hitting 170 yards based on your 1.7m height, then I think your swing is definitely not optimise. 

I suggest you get on trackman and see your swing speed, smash factor, spin rate, launch angle etc.....Justin Han can help u on this.

It could be as simple as increasing the loft of your driver and hitting the centre of your club face more consistently....this can certainly add a few yards.

All the best.
Back to top Go down
chuangyee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi, my opinion is that you have to go back to fundamentals to get distance - setup, full turn, hitting the sweet spot, creating the whip etc. I guess there are very few coaches that can teach a lady too. Theres some atheleticism involved too. Perhaps its time to check out some coaches that can teach lady golfers or youtube.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:09 pm

skybobo wrote:
NYC2014, what is ur ball flight now? Draw or fade? Find fairway most of the time? Are u hitting at roughly the centre of the club face? Based on your height, you should hit 180m average if you hitting the centre of your club face. If it is a toe or heel hit, then that's another story. 

If you are hitting 170 yards based on your 1.7m height, then I think your swing is definitely not optimise. 

I suggest you get on trackman and see your swing speed, smash factor, spin rate, launch angle etc.....Justin Han can help u on this.

It could be as simple as increasing the loft of your driver and hitting the centre of your club face more consistently....this can certainly add a few yards.

All the best.

hi skybobo

yes, totally agree with your thought..

with the data from trackman, she can always make comparison to those in LPGA and understand what is limiting her from hitting the distance she want to achieve.

Once the limiting factor is identified, then the coach should able to come out with a program to help her achieve the target by working on the weaker link...

jhan is someone i would recommend too
Back to top Go down
babolat
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:44 pm

I have seen muscle man whacking with incredible speed and power, but the ball flight and distant is just not there. 
There are also smooth operators hitting with really smooth and slow looking swing and the ball rockets off like it will never land.
Hitting driver on the right swing arc is crucial. ( on the ascending point )
Think if you have the sports background, I am sure a golf pro can easily help you achieve your ideal distant
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:45 pm

Maybe u can meet up with some of our senior GRian at the range or green so they can give u some advise on how to better compress your ball. Maybe it can help increase your distance.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:48 pm

U need to create lag in your downswing...
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:24 pm

If you can't hit long, you just need to be accurate with your shorter clubs ~ which translate to putting in time to practise.  Length is often dependent on technique, power and athleticism, BUT accuracy is achievable if you put in the effort.

I once played with a touring pro ~ small built and can't really hit very long drives, but the moment he fished out his hybrid / 5 iron for his approach, majority of the time he lands it within a 10 ~ 15 feet radius around the pin. Another deadly aspect of his game is his putting where during practise, he can look you in the eye and have a conversation while stroking his putts to the cup (putting has become second nature to this person). 

End of the day, it does not matter if you cannot hit long, but have you put in the time and effort to practise where an approach or chip is as good as putting the ball next to the pin for a tap in birdie / par / bogie…??

Would you rather be 170 yards in your own fairway or 220 yards in somebody else's fairway…??

Just to share with you, I've played this game for 22 years, and it was only the beginning of last year that I figured how to hit it long on my own, despite having seen 7 coaches over this period of time. The 7 professionals did their job by putting me back on track when things went hay wire with my swing, but you are on your own when it comes to hitting it long…  Swing
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:55 pm

For social golfers, distance may not be as important as accuracy and short game so long his driving distance is reasonable ... For Touring Pros, especially PGA Touring Pros, they definitely need both distance and accuracy plus the ability to shape the shots on command ... They need to be almost all-rounder in order to be successful ... Just look at US Open Pinehurst ... Long and narrow course plus very tough pin hole positions ... If one cannot drive long and high (with both the driver + long irons), I doubt they could achieve much success especially in Major Championship courses like in the US Open, The Open, etc. They are aiming for Birdies at all time ... How to achieve birdie let along eagle if they do not have the distance for very long Par 5 or 4 hole?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Today at 6:15 am

Back to top Go down

How to hit far?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.