Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

How to hit far?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:46 am

I think for us open, most pros just aim for par.......instead of birdie loh. The recently concluded 2014 us open, besides the top 3, all the rest are over par
Back to top Go down
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:44 am

If you're athletic as you say.

Take a practise swing without the ball. Make sure u hear the swoosh when its near to the bottom of the swing (point of impact). Once you get the feel, put a ball there an practise. Dun bother about the direction first (this is a tempo training, not direction practise).

Most people I see, they may feel that they swing hard, but that's usually at the top of the swing.
When at the point of impact, they will hold off. Dunnoe why, scared of missing or something.

You should see the difference.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:56 am

Vinny wrote:
If you can't hit long, you just need to be accurate with your shorter clubs ~ which translate to putting in time to practise.  Length is often dependent on technique, power and athleticism, BUT accuracy is achievable if you put in the effort.

I once played with a touring pro ~ small built and can't really hit very long drives, but the moment he fished out his hybrid / 5 iron for his approach, majority of the time he lands it within a 10 ~ 15 feet radius around the pin. Another deadly aspect of his game is his putting where during practise, he can look you in the eye and have a conversation while stroking his putts to the cup (putting has become second nature to this person). 

End of the day, it does not matter if you cannot hit long, but have you put in the time and effort to practise where an approach or chip is as good as putting the ball next to the pin for a tap in birdie / par / bogie…??

Would you rather be 170 yards in your own fairway or 220 yards in somebody else's fairway…??

Just to share with you, I've played this game for 22 years, and it was only the beginning of last year that I figured how to hit it long on my own, despite having seen 7 coaches over this period of time. The 7 professionals did their job by putting me back on track when things went hay wire with my swing, but you are on your own when it comes to hitting it long…  Swing

cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:31 am

Nyc2014 wrote:
I've been playing golf for 2 yrs and my driver distance is 170 yards as a lady. Wondering how lpga player hit 220 yards? Reckon that I'm quite sporty person but cant even hit 200. Ask few coaches and friends and they just ask me to play longer and time will help u with distance Sad Anyone can help?

Sis Nyc2014,

How often do u play golf or go range to practice? 
Do u mean 170yds or 170m? That's a diff of abt 10-15m.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:44 am

skybobo wrote:
I think for us open, most pros just aim for par.......instead of birdie loh. The recently concluded 2014 us open, besides the top 3, all the rest are over par

They are all aiming for birdie in order to win ... But if they could get Par, they will still accept it considering the tough holes. Just look at the US Open Champ, Martin Kaymer ... He is definitely aiming for birdies (especially in the first few rounds) and I don't see him playing conservatively, if not he would not have won by a whopping 8-stroke ...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:49 am

willytan wrote:
Nyc2014 wrote:
I've been playing golf for 2 yrs and my driver distance is 170 yards as a lady. Wondering how lpga player hit 220 yards? Reckon that I'm quite sporty person but cant even hit 200. Ask few coaches and friends and they just ask me to play longer and time will help u with distance Sad Anyone can help?

Sis Nyc2014,

Bro, you've to give the Threadstarter some slacks as she is a lady afterall ...  Laughing
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:04 am

The guys here are just wasting time...  geek 

Not sure if I can help but wanna range/ green together so I can give you my 1/2 cent worth of comments...   What a Face  What a Face  What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:47 am

Alvin, 

Pls note that you are only AK not XMMK.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:34 pm

Turbo wrote:
skybobo wrote:

They are all aiming for birdie in order to win ... But if they could get Par, they will still accept it considering the tough holes. Just look at the US Open Champ, Martin Kaymer ... He is definitely aiming for birdies (especially in the first few rounds) and I don't see him playing conservatively, if not he would not have won by a whopping 8-stroke ...
I am saying most pro. I did not say the champion. Anyway this is not related to the thread......
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:40 pm

ROFL  ROFL  ROFL I think we're all missing the objective of this game ~ it's not how far you can drive, it's how close you can put it to the pin… aka; it's not how you drive, it's how you arrive
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Turbo wrote:
willytan wrote:
Nyc2014 wrote:

Sis Nyc2014,

Bro, you've to give the Threadstarter some slacks as she is a lady afterall ...  Laughing

Bro Turbo,

Maybe u mis-understood my question.

I understand that TS is a lady and like every golfers, u need tons of hours to hon ur swing. Thus dun expect to hit far if u dun put in adequate training hours. 

If TS can hit 170m with limited range time, she can surely add a couple more meters into her drives when she trains more often. 

TS@ 
You also have to put some emphasis into ur short game and putting in order to fully enjoy the game of golf.
Back to top Go down
greenbie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Bro well said...totally agreed

An old saying...."Drive for show, Putt for dough"... you decide Very Happy
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:45 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
The guys here are just wasting time...  geek 

Not sure if I can help but wanna range/ green together so I can give you my 1/2 cent worth of comments...   What a Face  What a Face  What a Face

Pwah! My fav kaki is back!

Can I join?

lol! 

p.s. sorry NYC, you see, OT is pretty common here
Back to top Go down
Nyc2014
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:33 pm

willytan wrote:
Nyc2014 wrote:

Sis Nyc2014,

I practice at the range 3-4 times a week and goto course twice a month. My driving distance is about 170 yards. I'm having hard time hitting sweet spot consistently.  Maybe that's why my driving distance is not far. I've only come to 190 yards once.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:25 pm

Sis,

Maybe you can relax on your grip, 3/4 swing and focus on the contact instead of trying super hard to smash that ball. It might give u a head turning result.

Sometimes it is not that we are incapable of producing what we can but it is the mental block that is resisting the improvement.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:39 am

Without really seeing we can only speculate. Get your self under a track man and look at your numbers it will give you more insights on what to work on. It could be swing speed. It could be angle of attack. It could be spin rate. It could be launch angle. 

While you were under the coaches. Did you communicate to them your desire to increase your driver distance? If you did and they did not do something. I find it weird. 170 yds you already out drove some male golfers I know.

In any case. Unless you are looking to be a future pro where birdies win trophies and pay cheques. I am happy as a leisure golfer to be able to drive 200yds.
Back to top Go down
fata
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W89QnvY4Rg

Hope this help...
Back to top Go down
Mep
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:08 am

http://www.megsamethod.com/lessons/singles/driver-how-to-turn?utm_source=dt-houselist&utm_medium=email&utm_content=dt-mb-single-driver-turn&utm_campaign=dt-mb-megsa-singles

Try this turning drill. Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:17 pm

fata wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W89QnvY4Rg

Hope this help...

This is a very useful vid for ppl who thrive to hit it long ... One must also need to think swing and not hit in order to achieve better distance and straightness ... Once you think hit, his/her muscles tend to tense up and lots of swing flaws would result ... Teeing off long is basically a matter of good rhythm, proper swing sequence and swing techniques.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:11 pm

Nyc2014 wrote:
willytan wrote:
Nyc2014 wrote:

Sis Nyc2014,

I practice at the range 3-4 times a week and goto course twice a month. My driving distance is about 170 yards. I'm having hard time hitting sweet spot consistently.  Maybe that's why my driving distance is not far. I've only come to 190 yards once.
I think you should practice hitting the centre of the club face at least 6 out of 10 times. If u cannot have good contact consistently, it will certainly rob u off considerable distance. I think you should see a coach first. If u are athletic, have a nice swing, then why u cannot hit driver consistently. If u can hit irons consistently and only driver got prob. Then most likely it's a swing flaw that is already present in your swing but magnified in your driver. Sorry, just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:35 pm

TS,

There's a person in this forum which may solve your short drive woes ~ MLOY!!! Hooray

She out drives most of the boys in her flight by miles, maybe you can consult her on her driving prowess ~ she's a lady golfer also, you know...... lol!
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:17 pm

Vinny wrote:
TS,

There's a person in this forum which may solve your short drive woes ~ MLOY!!! Hooray

She out drives most of the boys in her flight by miles, maybe you can consult her on her driving prowess ~ she's a lady golfer also, you know...... lol!
+20 like
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:19 pm

costajos wrote:
Vinny wrote:
TS,

+20 like
Jo only 20??? No more strokes for u the next time.Laughing
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:20 am

Nyc2014 wrote:

Like all the bros mentioned, to lower hcp there are other areas which you can improve to bring it down. Disance is not the most important to lower hcp.

If you are looking at just hitting further, the main key is to increase swing speed and clubhead speed (not brutal strength).
You may need to strengthen your core muscles and flexibility. Core muscles will determine how fast your body can turn and stay balance during the swing.
Nonetheless, higher speed will come with higher error. Your timing will need to be more precise and probably translate to more pratices to perfect it. It may be a long journey.

You are only comparing your height and ball distance with the LPGA tour. Have you compare your swing speed and impact with the LPGA tour? Do you swing as fast as Michelle or Stacy Lewis? What's your swing speed as compared to them?
Like some bro mentioned, test out trackman to check your stats then you can compare with the LPGA tour to know why you don't hit as far as them.

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
eckman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:54 pm

I  go range often & get tips from Bros there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Today at 12:31 pm

Back to top Go down

How to hit far?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.