Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

How to hit far?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
michaelcheah
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:56 pm

Try this next time you are at the range ...

Hit the first few shot with your driver (full swing but at a slow speed) to 100Y; after you are able to get there easily; move to 120Y; and continue to increase the speed of you swing until you past 170Y ...

This drill helped me (I average 260m) so hope this will help you too ... once you can consistently the centre of the club face with a balanced swing, it should add some distance to your swing ...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Wow! 260m carry is an impressive distance for social golfer ...  Cool
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:22 pm

michaelcheah wrote:
Try this next time you are at the range ...

Hit the first few shot with your driver (full swing but at a slow speed) to 100Y; after you are able to get there easily; move to 120Y; and continue to increase the speed of you swing until you past 170Y ...

This drill helped me (I average 260m) so hope this will help you too ... once you can consistently the centre of the club face with a balanced swing, it should add some distance to your swing ...

Cool! This seems like a useful tip! Will definitely try and see if I drive like you!!!!

Impressive distance bro!
Back to top Go down
nremda
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:44 pm

Agreed! It's a helpful tip... Will do it during my next range day. Thanks Michael.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:01 pm

Distance not important.... seriously?
Back to top Go down
IceShelterX
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:10 pm

a lot of season golfer told me driver distance not really important as long as it is longest distance from all your clubs and always land in fairway... it is good drive.
2nd recovery shot is more important
3rd approach shot is very important
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:20 pm

Vinny wrote:
TS,

There's a person in this forum which may solve your short drive woes ~ MLOY!!! Hooray

She out drives most of the boys in her flight by miles, maybe you can consult her on her driving prowess ~ she's a lady golfer also, you know...... lol!

she still outdrives the guys... and now the scary thing hor, she chun..... What a Face
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:28 pm

neutralgolfer wrote:
Quote :

Like all the bros mentioned, to lower hcp there are other areas which you can improve to bring it down. Disance is not the most important to lower hcp.

Huh? Eh to lower handicap, distance is one of the key factors leh.

If your 7 iron can hit 100m, even if you hit accurately, I would like to see how you can lower your handicap.

Perhaps from a triple bogey to double bogey possible, but to go from bogeys to pars and birdies, you seriously got to have distance.

Why? Short irons easy to control. A good drive allows you to use a short iron or wedge and get on or nearer the pin. If after a drive, you are still left with a wood or hybrid distance, then less chance lah.

With irons your ball can stop on the green with a few bounce. With wedges, your ball can even back spin. With woods, your ball will just roll and roll.

How to be accurate like that and lower hcp?

Don't think you can see an LPGA or PGA winner/player with a 120m - 7 iron lor.

Last edited by Gray on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:38 pm

how far is far?

is regulation on good enough?
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:49 pm

Gray wrote:
neutralgolfer wrote:
Quote :

Like all the bros mentioned, to lower hcp there are other areas which you can improve to bring it down. Disance is not the most important to lower hcp.

Huh? Eh to lower handicap, distance is one of the key factors leh. If you 7 iron can hit 100m, even if you hit accurately, I would like to see how you can lower your handicap.

Perhaps from a triple bogey to double bogey possible, but to go from bogeys to pars and birdies, you seriously got to have distance.

Why? Short irons easy to control. A good drive allows you to use a short iron and get on or nearer the pin. If after a drive, you are still left with a wood or hybrid distance, then less chance lah.

With irons your ball can stop on the green with a few bounce, with woods, your ball will just roll and roll. How to be accurate like that and lower hcp?

My two cents.. please dun kill me.

Lower of handicap you will need all aspect of the game. I agree that short irons are easier to control.. but to attribute driving distance to lowering of handicap.. I personally feel that putting and short game accuracy is more important than driver distance.

But having said that, this does not mean driving distance is not important, but it not the most important. If we can get the number of putts down by 1... thats already 18 strokes saves.. vs having a good drive. So IMHO a good approach iron shot.. and putting will save you more strokes. 

Drives distance are important if you play from Blue or Black.. but if your irons are good.. 2nd shot 200m.. can still break it down to two 9 irons.. and 1 putt.. Still par for a par 4 if your drives are lower than average. 

Unless you are a pro that plays competition where birdies but food on the table.. par for us mortals are good enough IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:59 pm

Gray wrote:
neutralgolfer wrote:
Quote :

Huh? Eh to lower handicap, distance is one of the key factors leh.

If your 7 iron can hit 100m, even if you hit accurately, I would like to see how you can lower your handicap.

Why? Short irons easy to control. A good drive allows you to use a short iron or wedge and get on or nearer the pin. If after a drive, you are still left with a wood or hybrid distance, then less chance lah.

With irons your ball can stop on the green with a few bounce. With wedges, your ball can even back spin. With woods, your ball will just roll and roll.

How to be accurate like that and lower hcp?

Don't think you can see an LPGA or PGA winner/player with a 120m - 7 iron lor.

I do agree that to play Pars and Birdies consistently, distance which then leads to accuracy on the shot into the green (not always the case, but in general true) helps.

However, to say that accuracy only helps bring you from triple bogey to double bogey is probably understating the importance of accuracy.  Assuming you have good accuracy in your overall game, not just full swings, and I am talking realistic accuracy, not holing out all your chip shots, then you are looking at bogey at worst on any hole with the occasional Par with a good putt.  Which means you are shooting +/-85 most of the time.

I would think that being able to shoot +/-85 most of the time would be a SIGNIFICANT improvement in terms of handicap for most of the players here.

Of course, if you are a mid-handicap (10-18) looking to play consistently as a single handicap, then you will have to figure out for your individual game what is affecting your scoring and work on it.  For some, it might be reducing the occasional blowout hole from a wild drive.  For others, it might be improving short game and long range putting.  It could be course management, or mental preparation or fitness or a more efficient swing leading to greater distance or accuracy.  Most likely a combination of the above.  There isn't really a sure fixed way that works for everyone.  While there is a strong correlation between distance and handicap, it does not always tell the whole story and it should NEVER discourage anyone from trying to improve their game in their own way.

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:43 pm

In order to lower your hcp, you need to have a fair assessment of your current game.
What is the area that is causing you to lose strokes, is it chipping, putting, driving or…….

When A says distance is impt, most prob he is a short hitter (ha ha, I am one of them)
When B says short game is impt, most prob his short game is not so good J
Also, short game consists of putting, chipping, pitching, bunker…….so exactly which one?

Therefore to say that driving is impt or short game is impt is actually relative to individual.
All aspects of the game are impt to post a decent score.
However, given the limited practice time we have……….the most effective way to lower your hcp is to improve your short game.

Not everybody can drive like Bubba….however all of us can be a decent short game player if you just put in a little bit of time to practice.
Come on, if you cannot hit a 10 yards chip shot which requires mostly hand action, what chance you have to hit a 250 yards drive which requires much more coordination of the different parts of the body.

Just my 2 cents, pls dun kill me too

My hcp is around 16.  My ave scores are low 90s off blue.
Recently I started to post scores in the mid to high 80s….some off white but mostly off blue.
Did I suddenly drive longer? No……
However, my short game are much sharper in my last few games…..especially putting.
I have quite a few one putt which convert my usual bogey to a par. 
This can easily shave 4 to 5 strokes off a round.
For those who know me, you know I cannot drive far….mostly around 200m to 220m
I used to play to a 12 hcp.
But due to family commitments, I have no time for games and practice….hence my hcp shoot up.
On days that I shoot good scores, it is because my short game is on song.
So the point I want to drive is……..practice on your short game
It will reap more rewards in your limited practice time as compared to your long game.
But if your short game is already the type “1 chip 1 putt or 1 chip bo putt” type…..then in order to lower your hcp, you really have to invest in your long game.
And this usually entails a swing change (we all know how painful it is)
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:21 pm

From another perspective...

If we take a look at the pros, the longer hitter has an advantage into the greens with a shorter iron no doubt, but it's not the one who's hitting it past the others who wins, it's the one who takes the least number of putts. Rory McIlroy, Adam Scott, Phil Mickelson all pound the ball a long way, but it was when they were all putting lights out that they bagged major wins.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:34 pm

I drive about 220-230m average... my ss in the high 90s, -ve AoA, spin rate abt 3500-4000

have potential to hit another 10-20m more if I get my AoA n spin rate n launch angle to optimum values.... but I din

I din cos I really dun have the time investment to do it....

rather I focus on my short game....

cos I have seen what a short game mastero can do.... lob, bump smlj chip, ball 1-2m from hole

uncle then tell me... young man, drive so far ff, still same score as me!

so I am trying to use those words on others....

and I think I can do it in quicker time than ppl trying to add distance to their drive...

cos it is not easy trying to increase whatever ss u have just to gain 10-20m....

as for AoA, spin rate n the rest.... u really need a coach

short game... a lot easier, more fun, cost less $$$

plus if u hole-out from your chip, look on your opponent face..... priceless
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:49 pm

i googled this.  

http://thesandtrap.com/t/32498/trackman-data-pga-tour-vs-lpga

Most lpga events play from our white tees.  average 7 iron 141yards about 125meters.  almost all pros on the lpga play below 80s.  i am certain 3 time major champion Park In Bee 7 iron is shorter than mine, but i am also certain she will score better than me any day with her eyes closed and limping. 

Distance is groovy. Great for ego.  I want more of it always, but lets get real.

But to hit it far, interestingly for me was to check my grip. Very basic, close the v's, align the thumbs, point them v's at right shoulder.  

Can I explain why? No, but I did start pulling my irons left.  It's a perpetual work in progress leh.

Last edited by haragolfer on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:02 pm

If a 65yrs old man who drives 180m, hits his 7i 135m and yet he can birdie or par while an average joe who drives 240m, hits his 7i 155m and he can only par or bogey.

Go tinker, what makes the old man better than u that allows him to score far better than u.

Ps
Never scare to hit far, only super scare when your shots are sharp.
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Agree with everyone that even though drive distance is important, sometimes, the best way to cut down scores is to work on the rest of your game, esp putting. You will definitely hit more putts than you hit drives. (I personally suck at putting)

Back to the question of wanting to drive it long, the thing that worked for me was not to think too much about it and just let it rip. We all have our own unique way to swinging, so just find one that is comfortable for you (no matter how strange others say your swing is). Personal experience==>the smoother the swing, the longer the distance.

***Caveat: This works for me as I am just looking at driving average-joe distances... if you want PGA-type distance, I also don't know how to do that.  pale
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:32 pm

slinger wrote:

short game... a lot easier, more fun, cost less $$$

plus if u hole-out from your chip, look on your opponent face..... priceless

The above re the best quotes i personally felt. cheers
Back to top Go down
yanhaotiong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:56 pm

Just sharing my personal opinions... 

Maybe spending more time working on your body will be better?

You don't hear many PGA pros or commentators saying, "Oh! I or they changed this and that in the swing and hit it 20yrds further!" Most of the times you hear them talk about their workouts and how much of an athlete these players are. Just pointing out that distance doesn't just come with the swing alone.

For me personally, when I started working out and changing my swing, coming back from my back injury, I got my 6i ss up to around 93-94 mph from a mere ~86. Having a great coach, for my case Justin Han, helps significantly especially when you're trying to improve on sth other than your swing.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:11 pm

These are the elements of hitting far -

1) Ability to flush clubhead sweet spot against the ball
2) Proper weight shift
3) Able to create lag
4) Downswing starts from the ground up (proper swing sequence)
5) Smooth rhythm
6) Complete follow thru with the right shoulder facing your target and chest facing the left of your target

cheers
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:30 pm

my hitting far is

able to transfer the power to the ball
  able to put min. side spin

the feel is the club face catches the ball like a net

Last edited by Kaii on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:38 pm

Fastest and easiest way to lower your handicap is to sink more putts from 6 feet in. Besides Slinger, how many of us can regularly do that without tension and fear?  good putt 

Interestingly though, I was once told the capacity to hit it at least 10m farther for many of us amateurs already lies within us without having to go to the gym, strengthening the core, swinging faster or harder.

For most of us, our swing is like a sieve with power leaks all over the place. Plug those power leaks with a more efficient swing and find the sweetspot more often and we'll gain at least one club more distance.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:04 am

yanhaotiong wrote:

You don't hear many PGA pros or commentators saying, "Oh! I or they changed this and that in the swing and hit it 20yrds further!" Most of the times you hear them talk about their workouts and how much of an athlete these players are. Just pointing out that distance doesn't just come with the swing alone.

For us golfers who don't already work out, the reality is that we would rather go to the range or golf course. Very Happy

Fitness helps, but not as much as plugging the power leaks in our swing which you yourself have done with the help of Justin Han.

And a pro's swing and amateur's swing is like chalk and cheese. The former has already worked on his swing to the level where it is as mechanically efficient as it can possibly be. Working out in the gym for them is taking it to the next level of an athlete for a competitive advantage.

Before Tiger Woods came along, most pros headed to the bar rather than the gym. And the golfer that Tiger admires, Jack Nicklaus the Golden Bear, was the 'Fat Boy' when he first came on tour.
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:13 am

Just to share, a lot of times on par 4 i would rather hit it to within the zone of 150m and 100m stick so that i am confident that i have something in my bag to hit the next shot to the pin. rather than wack into the below 100m zone, not here not there, which will be hard to hit. just my opinion on course management which also helps to bring down scores.
Back to top Go down
yanhaotiong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:52 am

Birdman wrote:
yanhaotiong wrote:

For us golfers who don't already work out, the reality is that we would rather go to the range or golf course. Very Happy

Fitness helps, but not as much as plugging the power leaks in our swing which you yourself have done with the help of Justin Han.

And a pro's swing and amateur's swing is like chalk and cheese. The former has already worked on his swing to the level where it is as mechanically efficient as it can possibly be. Working out in the gym for them is taking it to the next level of an athlete for a competitive advantage.

Before Tiger Woods came along, most pros headed to the bar rather than the gym. And the golfer that Tiger admires, Jack Nicklaus the Golden Bear, was the 'Fat Boy' when he first came on tour.

Which is why I said both were important. 

However I feel everyone is developed differently. Some are built for power while others just require more effort to get there.

Truth is many of us do not have the mobility or functional strength due to our lifestyles. For eg. we spend majority of our day sitting down which creates longer and slower muscles. 

If you have mobility issues that inhibit you in certain ways, it might screw your swing up especially when you attempt to hit it further. The most common example i can think of is turning your shoulders more. If you are not able to, you will probably create that turn wrongly. 
Similarly in my case I have a flat swing due to a past shoulder injury. Forcing myself to swing higher to create power wouldn't help unless I get back the mobility in my left shoulder.

The same can be said for functional strength. 

In the end I personally feel that knowing and working on your limitations/(body) should be given more attention.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   Today at 7:39 pm

Back to top Go down

How to hit far?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.