Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Golf distance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eferata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:43 am

Hi all, 
I am about to go to green for the first 
time. Just want to ask how do we know
how far we hot while on the green?

Regards,
Eferata
Back to top Go down
angeldogleslie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:25 am

you can use gps apps like golf shot or you can use the distance markers too as a gauge how far out from centre of green you are.

If you look at some of the sprinklers, sometimes they do indicate the exact distance
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:40 am

Eferata wrote:
Hi all, 

Regards,
Eferata
Eh, cannot understand the question. Do you mean "How far we are from the fairway to the green?"

It's very simple. Every golf course will have distance markers (Either in Metres or Yards) on the fairway in various ways. Some uses colour to inform the distance. Example, Black - 250, Blue - 200, White = 150 and Red = 100. 

Others uses White post with black horizontal stripes. 3 stripes = 200, 2 stripes = 150 and 1 stripe = 100.

Some even have distance markers on the ground. However, nowadays, with distance measuring equipments, it has become easier. Smile

Last edited by TDO on Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
iuh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:42 am

angeldogleslie wrote:
you can use gps apps like golf shot or you can use the distance markers too as a gauge how far out from centre of green you are.

If you look at some of the sprinklers, sometimes they do indicate the exact distance

sprinklers? wow, thats a very impt info. thanks!
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:59 am

Where u playing? Maybe can let u know how is that particular course organized
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Eferata wrote:
Hi all, 

Regards,
Eferata

Look for these distance markers, on sprinklers, poles etc...

Back to top Go down
milos9680
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:32 pm

if you want exact distances.... maybe a laser range finder will be the best answer?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:26 pm

milos9680 wrote:
if you want exact distances.... maybe a laser range finder will be the best answer?

For that to happen, our shots must be very zun. I constantly wish I could hit the shots zun zun but it never happen. So I am saving that money instead. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joelwong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:22 pm

I ask caddy
Back to top Go down
milos9680
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:49 pm

TDO wrote:
milos9680 wrote:

For that to happen, our shots must be very zun. I constantly wish I could hit the shots zun zun but it never happen. So I am saving that money instead. Very Happy
Boss...mine very zhun...i aim right..goes left...i aim center...it goes either left/right/short/over...

it goes anywhere instead of the place i want it to go   cyclops

Suspect
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:21 pm

milos9680 wrote:
TDO wrote:
milos9680 wrote:

Boss...mine very zhun...i aim right..goes left...i aim center...it goes either left/right/short/over...

Suspect
We are probably using the same brand of clubs, same skill level too. But I have 7 brands for the 13 clubs in my bag. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:38 pm

TDO wrote:
milos9680 wrote:
TDO wrote:
milos9680 wrote:

Suspect
We are probably using the same brand of clubs, same skill level too. But I have 7 brands for the 13 clubs in my bag. Laughing

Woah! You've broken the Guinness Book of GR Record by having the most various brands of clubs in your bag ... I remember a while ago GRian, Slinger also shown a pic of various club brands in his bag ... ROFL
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:51 pm

Turbo wrote:
TDO wrote:
milos9680 wrote:
TDO wrote:
milos9680 wrote:

Suspect

Woah! You've broken the Guinness Book of GR Record by having the most various brands of clubs in your bag ... I remember a while ago GRian, Slinger also shown a pic of various club brands in his bag ...  ROFL

Eh, okay, let me list WIMB.

1. Driver - Callaway Diablo Octane
  2. 3w & 5W - Titleist 904 & 906
  3. 7w & 9w - Gosen
  4. 11w - Seiko
  5. 7i to Pw - Mizuno Grand Monarch
  6. Sw 56 deg & 60 deg - Nike
  7. Putter - Fisher

So you see I am a junkie and that's why some people say I cannot play well because I using very old clubs. They might be right, but I think otherwise. Skill is more important and I am happy with the current set of clubs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
miketbh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:31 pm

i measure by walking the green .
7 step  is 10meter
14 step  20 meter
3.5 step is 5 meter

Some people 7 step is 11 meter others 9 meter.
You need to  measure and remember your normal walking style/step at home.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:38 pm

TDO wrote:

Eh, okay, let me list WIMB.

1. Driver - Callaway Diablo Octane
  2. 3w & 5W - Titleist 904 & 906
  3. 7w & 9w - Gosen
  4. 11w - Seiko
  5. 7i to Pw - Mizuno Grand Monarch
  6. Sw 56 deg & 60 deg - Nike
  7. Putter - Fisher

So you see I am a junkie and that's why some people say I cannot play well because I using very old clubs. They might be right, but I think otherwise. Skill is more important and I am happy with the current set of clubs. Very Happy
Well, if you play well with this set of clubs, meaning that they suit your game ... That are considered good clubs to you ... No one would say otherwise ... Smile

I came across a PGA tour player who would not change his wedges until they were worn out beyond playability ... But I can't remember his name ...
Back to top Go down
Eferata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:38 pm

Hi all, 
Thanks for all of u advise. I think 
I will also ask the caddy.
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:28 pm

Joelwong wrote:
I ask caddy

Do you trust your caddy's distance?  I don't think they give you the exact yardage, it's just an estimate.   Once I had a female caddy, it's still far away from the green (at least 100 meter) and she said "60".   I know how close a 60 meter because I practice a lot for that shot at the range so I kinda know how far is 60 meter just by looking.
Back to top Go down
reallys
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:51 am

Interesting, generally you can tell if your caddy is accurate or not after a few holes. You don't have to discard all caddies advice... Some are better than others, if you don't trust them don't ask them. Or place a formal complaint to the golf course and get another caddy who is accurate. I trust and verify with a rangefinder. after a few holes, sometime I put the rangefinder away or I never ask the caddy for distance. After all, it's your game not anyone else's.
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:05 am

reallys wrote:
Interesting, generally you can tell if your caddy is accurate or not after a few holes. You don't have to discard all caddies advice... Some are better than others, if you don't trust them don't ask them. Or place a formal complaint to the golf course and get another caddy who is accurate. I trust and verify with a rangefinder. after a few holes, sometime I put the rangefinder away or I never ask the caddy for distance. After all, it's your game not anyone else's.
Totally agree, after a few holes I would know if I trust the caddy with the distance or the line for putting.
Back to top Go down
reallys
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:10 am

eden wrote:
Totally agree, after a few holes I would know if I trust the caddy with the distance or the line for putting.
Yeah, forgot about putting lines... There's a massive risk you take when you ask your caddy to line the ball up for putting... The worst experience was when every ball my caddy lined up was exactly opposite (scary) to what I read. Later on, I found out that her left eye was the dominant one or something like that. So funny, we laughed it off as I putting based on my views. I was just curious as to why it would be 180 degrees opposite to what I read. LOL
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:33 am

Some caddies are good at reading lines, esp the old and experienced ones
Back to top Go down
maverick0118
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:05 pm

reallys wrote:
eden wrote:
Yeah, forgot about putting lines... There's a massive risk you take when you ask your caddy to line the ball up for putting... The worst experience was when every ball my caddy lined up was exactly opposite (scary) to what I read. Later on, I found out that her left eye was the dominant one or something like that. So funny, we laughed it off as I putting based on my views. I was just curious as to why it would be 180 degrees opposite to what I read. LOL

I personally thought that you should only ask caddy what is the break like, ie, break left to right or right to left, uphill or downhill.  If you ask the caddy to place and line up the ball for you, they won't know how hard are you to putt or how soft are you going to putt.  Some putts i like to soften it, and some putts i go firm, that only you will know.
Back to top Go down
reallys
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:14 pm

hehehe, maverick in certain countries it's a common service(?) caddy provides. Typically, they would mark it, pick it up, wipe it clean, then put it back down with the line pointing the line. I enjoyed it for the whole of 3 holes and asked her nicely not to worry about my golf ball.
Back to top Go down
maverick0118
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:22 pm

I agree.  I  enjoyed that service in Thailand, with the caddy doing everything.  But that's also because i play in the same course over a few days, taking the same caddy.  So if she is experience, she would have understand my putting style for uphill or downhill. 

On the same note, if the caddy is a CAT A Caddy in Thailand, after 2-3 holes, she will be able to pass me a club compensating for wind, pin position and terrain when approaching to green. That's where the trust is build between her and me.
Back to top Go down
gregchinann
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:22 pm

maverick0118 wrote:
I agree.  I  enjoyed that service in Thailand, with the caddy doing everything.  But that's also because i play in the same course over a few days, taking the same caddy.  So if she is experience, she would have understand my putting style for uphill or downhill. 

On the same note, if the caddy is a CAT A Caddy in Thailand, after 2-3 holes, she will be able to pass me a club compensating for wind, pin position and terrain when approaching to green. That's where the trust is build between her and me.

bounce don't mind interrupt a bit...they always said putt dong dong... the biggest problem is I dunno how to putt straight straight
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf distance   Today at 10:57 am

Back to top Go down

Golf distance
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next