Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:25 pm

That crossed my mind as I went to regrip my irons at uncle Henry shop in FESC. Went to golf partner and pick up two used loose R11 irons 3 and 4. Ranged with missus just now.. Picked up iron 4 with somewhat a tad of confidence.. Hit it and brought me back to ground zero.. Rolling Eyes Could have hit better with my 5 iron.. Lol.. Anyway, it did improved after a few hits but still not nailing it.. Will try the 3 iron next time but hopefully not to the point of diminishing returns.. Perhaps I should just stick to my hybrid 22. Lol..
Back to top Go down
TaylorMadeKL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:41 pm

I still have my 3 and 4 iron in one of my bags... Occasionally still do use them... But i do notice I feel more confident using my hybrids, which are set up in another bag... Getting old, really miss the days when I could hammer the ball to 200 yards with the 3 iron...
Back to top Go down
reallys
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:44 am

Check this out, 

Would explain http://www.oobgolf.com/content/the+wedge+guy/golf+talk/5-7088-Evolution_of_Iron_Lofts.html

it's all about the 24/38 rule brother.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:56 pm

I still game my 4i. Use it alot to punch out from the 'forest'. Come to think about it, I only have 1 hybrid in the bag and it is still almost like new.
Back to top Go down
olivewine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:13 pm

I still use my 4i. But never as a distance plug... More as a punching shot. Somehow more comfortable to use the 4i for punching rather using a lower lofted hybrid...
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:06 pm

Everyone is searching for that forgiving yet long club (hybrid)to replace that not so easy to hit 4i or 3i to reach the region of 170-190m.
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:55 pm

I would love to be able to hit an conventional iron that get me 170m (carry), but certainly not there yet... Before i bought the loose 3 and 4 irons, my longest iron is 5 iron and have only one hybrid 22deg. So there is clearly a gap for me. i will be pressed for club selection when i am faced with 160 - 170m approach shots.. Assuming non-elevated green, 5 wood would likely overkilled and my I am bad with precise distance control with my hybrid. i would probably need almost a perfect contact/swing to get 160m with my 5 iron. headache...
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:33 am

kissthegreen wrote:
I would love to be able to hit an conventional iron that get me 170m (carry), but certainly not there yet... Before i bought the loose 3 and 4 irons, my longest iron is 5 iron and have only one hybrid 22deg. So there is clearly a gap for me. i will be pressed for club selection when i am faced with 160 - 170m approach shots.. Assuming non-elevated green, 5 wood would likely overkilled and my I am bad with precise distance control with my hybrid. i would probably need almost a perfect contact/swing to get 160m with my 5 iron. headache...

sorry but I am not good with meters because I 'grew' up playing golf using yards. 

Assuming playing off the white tee, Par 5 about 520yds. For me,

(Driver - 220yds) + (7I - 150 yds * 2) = GIR

Par 5 550yds

(Driver - 220yds) + (7I - 150 yds * 2) + (good short game) = near pin for par putt.

Par 4 450yds (super long)

(Driver - 220yds) + (5I - 170 yds) + (good short game) = near pin for par putt.

Not be rude or anything but play a bogey game and its still a score of 90. I learnt course management the hard way by paying alot of school fees to my friends who have some of the best course management I have ever seen really good short game skills.

Since a 5 wood is overkill why not look for a 7 wood?
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:16 am

kissthegreen wrote:

I used to face the same problem during anything under 180m as you as my most comfortable club is 6i (160m) n 5w (190m) until I started focusing more on my 5i. And recently I have found back my confidence using a hybrid (which I bought off a GRian) which is easy off the fw and gave me 170-180m.
Back to top Go down
dukes4
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:30 am

we should all play like what winston suggest, which some call it boring game, most will still be tempted to go for the green
Back to top Go down
dukes4
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:31 am

its the ego at play haha
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:07 am

High respect and salute 3x bros who can still hit 3i & 4i. I am a goner long long time ago. Sad
Beer Beer Beer
Back to top Go down
reallys
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:47 am

I only use 4 iron maybe once or twice per round if I'm lucky. Pretty comfortable when I'm using it to tee off but difficult off the turf. Considering 23/24 degree hybrid... Any excuse to buy more clubs... lol
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:58 am

Club makers intentionally create lower loft for the longer irons so that social golfers need to buy their hybrids (when u buy a set of irons, usually 4i and/or 3i is included whether u need it or not) ...
Back to top Go down
reallys
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Turbo wrote:
Club makers intentionally create lower loft for the longer irons so that social golfers need to buy their hybrids (when u buy a set of irons, usually 4i and/or 3i is included whether u need it or not) ...
Damn, fell in to their marketing!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:53 pm

reallys wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Damn, fell in to their marketing!
I use 4i only for tee off @ Par 3 hole and/or the lie at the FW is very good (i.e. non-undulating lie) ... I would also use it on semi deep rough where I need to hit low shot (especially if it is a little long to reach FW) to get out of the woods ...
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:56 pm

dukes4 wrote:
we should all play like what winston suggest, which some call it boring game, most will still be tempted to go for the green

I guess it boils down to what you expect to gain or achieve when playing on the course. Of course it is to win because it gives you bragging rights but also the satisfaction of making your friends eating their own words.

I have been down that that road before many times where my ego landed me in places I have never been before. After a year or so, finally decided to change my approach to how I play 'MY' game. it has helped me to regain some personal pride and confidence in my game. Give you an example.

Recently played an a very difficult course from the "blue" tees with many dog leg holes, water before, behind, side of green. Hit a good drive, and was still staring down a 200yd 2nd shot to the green. Took out 3w, hit and ended up short and in the water on the right side of the green. Tried it again on another hole and ended up duffing and in the water in front of the green.

After that, kept the 3w in the bag for the rest of the game, it was driver/ 4I or 5I / pitch onto green, had only 1 GIR the whole game but score was still the same playing off the white tees. Go Figure.......
Back to top Go down
Choo Yao Chuen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:39 pm

I use my 3 quite often.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??   Today at 7:56 pm

Back to top Go down

What ever happened to 3 and 4 irons??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1