Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ralphlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:03 am

Hi

will be travelling to SYD with my overseas colleague and was asked to arrange golf in Sydney

can anyone share which club is available for walk-in visitors? and any recommendations to share? I manage to search a few from internet 

1) Moore Park Golf
2) Randwick golf club
3) The Coast golf club

Thanks for your advice
Back to top Go down
teegem
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:07 am

You are one lucky guy! Golf Golf combine with Business. Happy New Year. Cheers. MTee
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:22 am

Moore Park and East Lakes are the closest to the city centre.

Moore Park you can walk in or book online.  Normally I book online as it's cheaper.

East Lakes you can walk in anytime.
Back to top Go down
mcswiv
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:04 am

Courses above are ok but try calling St Michaels next to the coast. Can get social times there midweek and on Sunday afternoons - great challenging course and amazing condition tee to green - and the views! This is what golf in Sydney is all about!!
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:23 pm

ralphlim wrote:
Hi

will be travelling to SYD with my overseas colleague and was asked to arrange golf in Sydney

can anyone share which club is available for walk-in visitors? and any recommendations to share? I manage to search a few from internet 

1) Moore Park Golf
2) Randwick golf club
3) The Coast golf club

Thanks for your advice

I've played at St Michael's, but lots of up slopes, some can't even see the pin from the tee box.

NSW Golf Course is the best if you don't mind to spend $300 for the green fees.

Back to top Go down
buzz1211
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:29 pm

Just played The Coast last week. Typical links course: wind a major factor, rough is really rough, and a few back-to-back par 3s. Tip: Play longer. Under S$40. East Lakes - uphill, then downhill, then uphill, then downhill. Fun course though. Both walk-in. Where will you be based? There are many good walk-in courses and many really bad ones...
Back to top Go down
ralphlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:36 pm

Thanks all for your recommendations! It was really helpful! I have booked to train Coast and Randerwick, both should be pretty windy courses! Looking forward!!
Back to top Go down
mcswiv
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:59 pm

Check Ausgolf for top 100 courses - you won't see randwick and the coast there - first is a goat track and second is rough and ready. Image posted above is from st michaels near fife IN SCOTLAND - not at michaels in Sydney :-) also, not seeing pin from tee is normally called a dog leg :-)
Back to top Go down
buzz1211
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:33 am

Check Ausgolf for top 100 courses - you won't see randwick and the coast there - first is a goat track and second is rough and ready.
Bo, he asked where to go. Not where not to go.
1) How many of the Top 100 allow walk-in, is near the CBD, in NSW and cost under $40?
Back to top Go down
ralphlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:50 am

LOL! thanks guys, ya I think buzz1211 is correct. I travel for work and golf is a bonus. its not a golfing holiday
and usually my take is as long as I can play, regardless if it is a goat track (Keppel club in Sg is also like a goat track, but no less tough) or championship course, to play is already a luxury

I know AU has many courses, but I think being near to CBD or a close 10-20min drive away, plus not paying $150sgd to play a round of 18h and most of all is allow walk-in is my main consideration.

If can get a nice view of the Pacific Ocean, then its a bonus!!

anyway, I thank you all for your comments on my post, it is very much appreciated, if there was a LIKE button, I like all of them regardless!!
Back to top Go down
buzz1211
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:29 pm

Ralph, just about every hole at the Coast has the Ocean view.
Back to top Go down
ralphlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:48 pm

thanks bro for the advice!!
Back to top Go down
buzz1211
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:09 pm

Ok bro, just returned from my first round at East Lakes, 10 min out of CBD. Great view of city, fairways that feel like carpet but rough you will hate. Take a buggy(Cart in oz lingo) cos it's a tough walk for first timers. Slope rating of 134 so quite tough. Tight greens, most uphill and many into the wind. Two clubs extra at least. On Tuesday, it's $25!

If you try the Coast, buy spare balls from the people that hang around the course. 15 for $5 including Pro Vs! Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
ralphlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks bro cool, hope u enjoy! I did email East Lakes but on the day that i want, they have a club competition, so no choice
Went with Coast! 

How the weather in syd? Hot?
Back to top Go down
buzz1211
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:27 am

Intermittent rain this week but heavier towards the end of the week. Never harsh rain but makes the game more difficult. Be aware there are no rain checks....
Yes it can get hot - mid 30s so lots of drinks (no halfway house) and sun block.
Golf here is always fun. No pushing, no rushing and cheap beer for after.
As you are driving in, keep a look out on the right for fellas teeing off on the Par 3. Golfers have the right of way (as it should be!).
Coast/East Lake etc are public courses next to more expensive private members clubs. The idea is that it allows the public a similar golfing experience. But because it is a public course, don't expect clubhouses to look posh. And while they look after the fairways and greens, the roughs are well rough.
Coast has gorgeous views...whip out the camera on the signature Par 3 (hit across the water. 130m but I usually take a 5 or 6 iron because you will be playing into the wind). 
Tips: 
Practise that punch shot to keep it under the wind. Men play off blue unless it's competition day then it's off the black.
Hole 1: OB right, danger left and long uphill par 4. Swallow your pride and play for a bogey unless you're a big hitter.
Hole 2: Par 5 downhill. Aim left and play with fade. Second shot appears long but you can get there with a mid-iron because of the wind. So for a look at eagle.
By then, your groove is on so enjoy!
Back to top Go down
ralphlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:25 am

great advice
thanks dude!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney   Today at 4:39 am

Back to top Go down

Rec ommendations for Golfing in Sydney
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1