Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Using the driver

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lion_woods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Using the driver   Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi All

I just started golfing.. what occurred to me was that i seemed to be hitting the driver at about the same distance as my 5 wood.. this can't be right..

i was wondering if anyone had any tips or are facing the same problem...
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:37 pm

Can you describe the ball flight?
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:49 pm

What is your distance?
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:26 pm

its like that in the beginning.
probably your longer irons like 4,5,6 are same distance as your 7 iron.
it will improve, hang in there.
Back to top Go down
TaoKoon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:52 pm

As Arnold Palmer says:

"Get the right grip. Hit the ball hard. Go find the ball, boy, and hit it hard again."
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 pm

lion_woods wrote:
Hi All

I just started golfing.. what occurred to me was that i seemed to be hitting the driver at about the same distance as my 5 wood.. this can't be right..

i was wondering if anyone had any tips or are facing the same problem...

#1 Tip :

Go see your coach...

Which I'm gonna do next week....... Welcome
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:05 pm

Hi Lionwood,

What's the loft of your driver? Better to use 10.5 or 11 Deg. You need high launch and low spin to get distance. Especially if you don't have the appropriate swing speed to optimize a driver with less than 10.5 Deg loft. 

You have to hit up on the driver to get positive AoA. One way is to ensure that you position your ball off your left heel and your left shoulder should be higher than your right shoulder at address. With this setup, you've already preloaded your weight about 60% on your right leg and 40% on your left leg at address. This helps to promote an accending ball strike on impact and load more energy on your right side before shifting 90% of your weight to the left side on impact.

Many people cannot get good distance because they failed to do a proper weight shift on impact.
Back to top Go down
reallys
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:10 am

Sounds like release problem to me, common with the beginners... 
Eden's comments +1 
You will have same issues with most of your longer clubs. Focus on hitting the ball properly and make sure you release, don't hold back!
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:17 am

If both your driver and 5w are about 180m, then the problem is in the addressing of your driver. Should try to hit 200m for driver (abt 190m carry for range). Turbo's tips will help.

If you are hitting both clubs less than 180m, then you need to get the basic swing right. Reallys tips will help. Release, ball striking, no duffing.

If you are slicing or pulling badly, suggest you see a coach to fix the problem. Usually a setup issue with grip, stance, swing plane etc.

cheers  Enjoy your game.
Back to top Go down
lion_woods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:54 pm

Wah so many things to reply to… mmm ok as a start, i'm using the titlelist driver 10.5 loft… stiff shaft (my wood is a regular taylormade r9 5 wood)…

my driver shots keep going to the right first then curving back left… so something has to be wrong.. height wise, the ball doesn't go as high as when i hit my 5 wood.. which is expected since the loft is lower.. feel wise, i'm not sure… i'm beginning to dislike using my driver…

Distance on the driver is approximately 150… my 5 wood i can hit about 160 170… 

In any case, i was watching michelle wie's videos.. seems like she hardly uses her drivers… zzz 

love the game.. hate my skills…
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:15 pm

IMHO, it is always tricky getting swing advice online.
We can't see your setup like your grip, your feet position, shoulder alignment, ball position etc etc.
What u think is a ball going right could be a straight ball based on any possibilities.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Since your driving distance is shorter than your 5w,
your driver setup needs to be corrected.  You are probably swinging down at the ball before impact. This creates a backspin which is not good and shortens the distance.

Try following Turbo's tips and see of it helps.

As for the ball curving right to left, i'm assuming you have a nice draw. So let it be for now. 
In golf, we can only correct 1 thing at a time.
Back to top Go down
reallys
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:05 pm

since you're getting 160-170m with your 5 wood, you're not actually making any solid contact with the ball. practice your irons, and shorter woods till you can get some reasonable distance. Ideally you should be looking at 130-135m with your 7iron, and 180-185m with your 5 wood. 

With the driver, as many members have mentioned... you need to have the ball positioned towards your left shoulder or inside of your left foot so you can hit with an upward blow at the impact. Keep in mind that middle of your stance is typically the lowest part of your swing, keeping the ball on the left side will ensure that the ball is struck while the club is travelling upwards. Also you need some decent clubhead speed especially if you're using Titleist Stiff shaft (Titleitst shafts are known to be firmer than other manufacturer's shafts).

Like most good things golf takes time, be patient and persevere. Lesson with a good coach definitely helps. Good times will come. Smile best of luck.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi, based on your information you are not losing distance due to ballooning. There is a good chance that you are hitting down on your driver. So yes try Turbo's advice first.

A lot of golfers have reported here that they have achieved better yardage after shortening their shafts. How is that possible? Most people are obsessed with generating more club head speed but hitting the ball on the sweet spot has been significantly neglected.

Do you know where you are hitting the ball on your club face?

So I'll say get impact tape or spray and start with your 5 wood. Understand you tend to toe or heel or high or low. Then when you get better yardage with your 5 wood (180m), go on to your driver but choke down an inch. So on and so forth.

Efficiency (smash factor) is more important, and it can be achieved by only one way which is finding the sweet spot. Work smart don't work hard.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:45 pm

Haha bro Namflog, I like your line.
Work smart don't work hard.
Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using the driver   Today at 4:50 pm

Back to top Go down