Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Importance of GIR

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Importance of GIR   Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:45 am

Found an interesting article on golfwrx.com: http://www.golfwrx.com/285949/the-truth-behind-greens-in-regulation-and-scoring/

Basically it says no matter how much you work on your short game, your score is determined by the number of GIR in a round.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Importance of GIR   Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:03 am

actually the article say if you are shoot in the 90s.. working on the short game will reduce the score.

But if you are shooting in the high 70s.. u need to work on ur GIR to lower.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Importance of GIR   Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:05 pm

The article makes the following assumption:

"a 13-handicapper will have about a 13-handicap short game, give or take a couple of strokes. He will not have a scratch-level short game on a daily basis."

But that is precisely the point isn't it? Advocates of short-game improvement are precisely saying that the easiest and fastest way for a 13-handicapper to improve his score is to have a short game that is like that of a single-handicapper. The reason behind this is simple. It is easier for a 13-handicapper to develop a single-handicapper's short game, than it is for that 13-handicapper to develop a single-handicapper's ball striking on approach shots (ie GIR). This is logical since it is easier to work on a shorter swing (eg chip or pitch), than it is to work on full shots.

That said, I agree with bomby that once you are shooting in the 70s (or even consistently low 80s), then the focus should shift to improving GIR. Because there comes a point of diminishing returns with regards to short game.

In short, if you are a mid hc, i think u should focus on short game first, because this is the low-hanging fruit. Next, work on your driving - keeping it in play will keep double or triple bogey away.

In any case, thanks for sharing golfool. an interesting read although i do not fully agree with it.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Importance of GIR   Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:36 pm

I am in the opinion that GIR numbers are valid.

For a 13 handicapper, I believe getting 6 GIR is rather achieveable by focusing on all the par 3's and 5's (assuming 4 p3 and 4 p5 on that particular course)

According to the table:
GIR , score range
6 , 81-85
7, 79-83
8, 77-81

That means that if a 13 hdcpper hits the green and 2 putt all these holes, he will drop his hdcp easily to a 9.

On paper it may seem doable, I also believe that it is a possibility if I stay conservative on these holes by doing the following:

Par 3:
Regardless of pin placement, aim for center of green

Par 5:
1. Plan for approach with most confident iron to center of green
2. because of the above, keep tee off on fairway. Dun commit suicide with ob and hazards

All the above will improve the chances of GIR. it's a question of whether we can resist the urge to drive long long and go pin hunting.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Importance of GIR   Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:53 pm

contrary to all my bros said....

your GIR or short game dun mean a thang if u put up big numbers on the score card...

u can have 6 birdies per round but if u have 2-3 double pars that goes with it.... sayonara to your that GIR or short game

I sometimes find myself fighting my inner egos throughout the course of the round...shd I or shdnt I? NB, cheong or dun cheong??!!!..... OK clear table liao, can be done lah, punch that 5i through the gap of the trees

sometimes works sometimes up lorry....

nowadays.... I dun fight that much with my own devil, mayb age has something to do with it (yes, I admit I getting more hair treatment and coloring more often), rather I tcss within myself, aiya, nvm lah, this hole dun go for par lah, mayb next hole heng heng durian drop, make up for last hole

after 10 over years in this game.... I just wanna keep it simple, play to your strengths n good things will come

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Importance of GIR   Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:16 pm

Bro slinger,

Yes I see your point on the blow holes. I also experienced the making of a good round losing momentum when I shoot a triple bogey. Maybe that's the reason why I am still struggling to lower my handicap further. 

However, I am seeing an improvement in my scores when I focus on hitting to the center of the green, especially for the par 3's n 5's.  I still do score bogeys on these holes though but at least I know what happened. Sometimes still cannot control the urge to go pin hunting or going for green in 2 for short par 5's

Maybe when I need it comes the time to dye my hair, I will take it more easy, now still want to lower my handicap. Haha
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Importance of GIR   Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:59 pm

As usual, I skimmed through the article, found it interesting, and shared it here.....after reading the comments here, I re-read the article and I think everyone's made some good points here...

my own takeaway from the article is that it is spot on for me as I shoot in the low to mid 80s...and the rare times i've been able to shoot in the 70s wasn't because my short game suddenly clicked but because my driver and approach shots were on fire increasing the number of GIR...it's so much easier two putting then trying to chip close and save par when you miss the green.....
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Importance of GIR   Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:22 am

Interesting article. Wink
But more GIR doesn't guarantee a lower scores. Cool
If u re gaming at courses like HH or Serapong with challenging pin position, i ve had witness good golfers hvg 3 putts still.sunnyNeutral
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Importance of GIR   Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:18 am

hkhamateur wrote:
Interesting article. Wink
But more GIR doesn't guarantee a lower scores. Cool
If u re gaming at courses like HH or Serapong with challenging pin position, i ve had witness good golfers hvg 3 putts still.sunnyNeutral

I do beg to differ though. More GIR does lower the score as it is always better to be putting than to be wedging it in.  a lot of famous teachers said that a bad putt will most likely yield a better result than a bad wedge shot. 

If greens are uncomfortably fast, and my chips do not bite, I may still leave myself with a long putt that may require 3 attempts to put it in.  I would rather go for the same GIR strategy and if I don't par the hole, a bogey is still acceptable as long as I manage my expectations.
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Importance of GIR   Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:48 am

Given a choice, I would rather putt than chip. I am more confident of holing-out in two putts vs chip and putt. In this respect, more GIRs will definitely lead to lower score.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Importance of GIR   Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:32 pm

im a 20 hcp, short game to me is 1 chip 2 putt, some times heng heng 1 putt.

imho, training on precision chipping actually takes more time than grooving a smooth swing. i would rather focus on good ball striking and 2-putting.

i agree with slinger shifu on never go for hero shots to safeguard your score, for more than half the time you will be regretting the stupidity.

and i agree with pro denmeister that the green approach shot is the most important factor in a good round
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Importance of GIR   Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:24 pm

zhenxua wrote:
im a 20 hcp, short game to me is 1 chip 2 putt, some times heng heng 1 putt.

imho, training on precision chipping actually takes more time than grooving a smooth swing. i would rather focus on good ball striking and 2-putting.

i agree with slinger shifu on never go for hero shots to safeguard your score, for more than half the time you will be regretting the stupidity.

and i agree with pro denmeister that the green approach shot is the most important factor in a good round

Bro Zx,

You raised a very interesting viewpoint about "training on precision chipping"

I love to practice my chipping as it gives me a sense of satisfaction to see the ball land, bounce, check and release slowly to the hole. I like to call this a "dance". At times, I can spend 2 hours just chipping.

before I could make the ball dance, I was always fascinated at how pros and strong amateurs were able to remote control their chips to bite the green upon landing.  No matter what I tried I just couldn't do it. And when the ball did dance, I didn't know what I did.

Now that I know exactly how it can be accomplished, let me share with you this shortcut. GET A PRO TO TEACH YOU!

Best would be a playing pro as he will definitely know the details of how to execute a chip with tons of spin.

After u know the proper technique, you will just be amazed at how easy it actually is to make a ball dance.  It is easier to master than the full swing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Importance of GIR   Today at 10:14 pm

Back to top Go down

Importance of GIR
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.