Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 shaft flex v shape of shot

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vrooooom2
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 119
Join date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: shaft flex v shape of shot   Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:28 pm

it is commonly written soft flex will result in draw/hook and vice versa. but my actual experience is, when i use a R flex, with normal swing speed, my shots are either fade or slice (if swing even faster). if i slow down (meaning R now becomes stiffer because my swing speed is lower relative to flex), my shots will draw. this seems to be the opposite of what i read.

too cheem? what is your experience? 

any way of fixing the slice without loosing distance?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2087
Join date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:38 am

Yes there is... L.E.S.S.O.N
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 398
Join date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:07 am

Vrooooom2 wrote:
it is commonly written soft flex will result in draw/hook and vice versa. but my actual experience is, when i use a R flex, with normal swing speed, my shots are either fade or slice (if swing even faster). if i slow down (meaning R now becomes stiffer because my swing speed is lower relative to flex), my shots will draw. this seems to be the opposite of what i read.

too cheem? what is your experience? 

any way of fixing the slice without loosing distance?
Believe it is your swing not the shaft Flex problem. Likely you are having a out-to-in swing.
Back to top Go down
milos9680
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 55
Join date : 2011-10-04

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:08 am

neutralgolfer wrote:
Vrooooom2 wrote:
it is commonly written soft flex will result in draw/hook and vice versa. but my actual experience is, when i use a R flex, with normal swing speed, my shots are either fade or slice (if swing even faster). if i slow down (meaning R now becomes stiffer because my swing speed is lower relative to flex), my shots will draw. this seems to be the opposite of what i read.

too cheem? what is your experience? 

any way of fixing the slice without loosing distance?
Believe it is your swing not the shaft Flex problem. Likely you are having a out-to-in swing.
I second what neutralgolfer said...
Back to top Go down
toonified
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 151
Join date : 2013-07-12

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Most golfers slice/fade due to too fast tempo/transition resulting out-to-in swing. 

By slowing down there is natural tendency towards neutral or in-to-out swing, so that may be where you are getting your draw shots from. 

Also more chances to hit the club in the middle of the face when you slow down, as a strike on the heel will promote a fade/slice too. 

You can still have the same club head speed with a slower tempo/transition which will not lose distance.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5879
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 90
Location : Pin Hole

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:20 pm

Well said, toonified! 

cheers
Back to top Go down
Vrooooom2
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 119
Join date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:09 pm

I agree with toonified. But I can't reconcile is when I switched over to a stiffer shaft and with the normal swing (speed and tempo), the slice pretty is much eliminated. My own conclusion is softer flex does not always equal to draw or hook.
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:06 pm

I'm suffering from hooks recently, and I find it get exacerbated when I use graphite or softer flex. Distance goes longer, but sadly, so does the hook.  Using stiffer or heavier shafts helps a bit for me, but ball still goes left Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5879
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 90
Location : Pin Hole

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:13 pm

matoonia@ Which club(s) hooked? And u didn't tell us what kinda hook (i.e. pull or push hook) Maybe one of the following reasons - 

1) Ball position not correct. Try to position your ball just off the left eyes or opposite your shirt logo.

2) Timing of swing sequence incorrect. Shoulder turn too fast and hands not quick enough to catch up to square the ball. Study the D-Plane.

3) Grip too strong.

4) Make sure your right hand stay above your left hand in the downswing.
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:32 pm

Turbo wrote:
matoonia@ Which club(s) hooked? Maybe one of the following reasons - 

1) Ball position not correct. Try to position your ball just off the left eyes or opposite your shirt logo.

2) Timing of swing sequence incorrect. Shoulder turn too fast and hands not quick enough to catch up to square the ball. Study the D-Plane.

3) Grip too strong.

Bro turbo, just 1 month ago I was scooping up on the ball, resulting in high ball flight. Ball just goes straight, or sometimes occasional fade/slice.

So I've focused on my release. At the same time, I changed to graphite from steel, as I feel I'm able to release better with a lighter shaft. Actually what you have mentioned 1,2,3 is still the same for me. But maybe now I overdo the release too much. I feel my impact is much better now, but the ball goes left. Or could be the graphite shaft. That's why I'm alluding to this thread that softer shaft will cause hook/draw.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5879
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 90
Location : Pin Hole

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:39 pm

matoonia@ In that case, I think the graphite shaft maybe too light for you or you are not accustomed to the new found weight of the graphite shaft yet and hence, screws up your sequence timing ... the faster fix is to "feel" like throwing the club straight towards the target as you execute the downswing ... Without looking at your swing, I guess you might be turning too fast towards the left side of the target on the downswing ...
Back to top Go down
toonified
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 151
Join date : 2013-07-12

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:47 pm

Or.... U can learn from Bubba, add 10 layers of tape to your grip to slow down your release. Razz
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:25 pm

How will adding lead tape to the grip help? I thot ususally is added to the clubhead?

Anyway maybe switching back to steel will be instant fix for me, but I quite like the impact that I'm getting from using graphite making the release come more naturally for me, getting rid of the scooping hands too.
Back to top Go down
toonified
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 151
Join date : 2013-07-12

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Not lead tape. Just normal tape to thicken the grip. 

Bubba has a very very strong grip which he is comfortable with, so to counter that he has a very very thick grip to slow down his release. 

At least that's what I understand.
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:42 pm

toonified wrote:
Not lead tape. Just normal tape to thicken the grip. 

Bubba has a very very strong grip which he is comfortable with, so to counter that he has a very very thick grip to slow down his release. 

At least that's what I understand.

Oh I see, but if it's to have thicker grip can just change to bigger grips loh. Why add tape? scratch
Back to top Go down
Vrooooom2
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 119
Join date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:37 pm

Haha. I believe he meant the double sided tape on te shaft before putting in the grip
Back to top Go down
Vrooooom2
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 119
Join date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:42 pm

I just recently switched from steel to graphite for my iron because of age. Had the same problem. I did 3 things. 

1. Upsize the grip
2. Slow more smoothly
3. Allow time to adjust to the lighter weight 

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Vrooooom2
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 119
Join date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:50 pm

I forgot to mention,  now I can't play steel, lol. I miss the feel of steel wedges around the greens. Can't have everything.
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:36 am

Vrooooom2 wrote:
I just recently switched from steel to graphite for my iron because of age. Had the same problem. I did 3 things. 

1. Upsize the grip
2. Slow more smoothly
3. Allow time to adjust to the lighter weight 

Hope this helps

Good to hear your successful transition. I'm still getting used to graphite. Like the weight, and easier smoother swing giving me better impact and extra distance. This is quite an interesting article

http://www.golfwrx.com/146301/should-your-next-set-of-irons-have-graphite-shafts/
Back to top Go down
yanguei
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-01-05
Age : 49
Location : Jurong , Hanoi

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:58 am

Hi

I have similar problem of hooking my ball after moving to graphite shaft due to age and injury. Recently, able to get the ball going fairly straight with a slight draw. I did a few things :
Equipment
1. Change from a 75 gram graphite shaft to a 85 gram graphite shaft. It help to slow down the arm a bit.
2. Change from regular shaft to stiff shaft. I feel the stiff shaft is more stable. I did not lose much distance.
3. change to a more game improvement iron head design so that I tell myself to swing it easy.
Swing ( I right handed). After advise from a good player and recalling my previous golf lessons.
1. Change to a weaker grip. Mainly rotating my right hand anti-clockwise a bit.
2. Try to keep my left wrist flat and quiet.
3. Start my down swing with my left hip and follow my left shoulder.

Hope the above help.
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 149
Join date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:52 am

yanguei wrote:
Hi

I have similar problem of hooking my ball after moving to graphite shaft due to age and injury. Recently, able to get the ball going fairly straight with a slight draw. I did a few things :
Equipment
1. Change from a 75 gram graphite shaft to a 85 gram graphite shaft. It help to slow down the arm a bit.
2. Change from regular shaft to stiff shaft. I feel the stiff shaft is more stable. I did not lose much distance.
3. change to a more game improvement iron head design so that I tell myself to swing it easy.
Swing ( I right handed). After advise from a good player and recalling my previous golf lessons.
1. Change to a weaker grip. Mainly rotating my right hand anti-clockwise a bit.
2. Try to keep my left wrist flat and quiet.
3. Start my down swing with my left hip and follow my left shoulder.

Hope the above help.

Yup, will try your tips. Especially the stiff graphite makes sense.

What I really like now is the impact, when previously on steel shaft I will get fat shots every now and then. As a result, my 5i gained 20m to 170m, if I can maintain this without the hook will be fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5879
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 90
Location : Pin Hole

PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:47 pm

Matoonia@ you should address the root of the problem and not changing and/or modifying equipment in the hope of rectifying the problem, which is not long term. You may wanna study the D-Plane why the ball flight behaves in certain way ... Below are the graphic illustrations why ball hook, draw, slice, etc. 




Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: shaft flex v shape of shot   Today at 6:32 pm

Back to top Go down
 
shaft flex v shape of shot
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» shaft flex v shape of shot
» How do I know I should change the shaft flex for my irons ?
» Shaft flex and CPM
» Shaft Flex Chart
» When to change shaft flex?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Pro Shop :: Golf Equipment-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.