Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Golfing in Thailand

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
vyeo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 50
Join date : 2009-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Sun May 02, 2010 1:19 am

avatar67 wrote:
Anyone tried the Royal army course?
Will be staying in bangkok for about a year but no car, what is the best way to move around for golf?
Hiring a taxi for whole day what is the cost like?
If ant catch a quick game in bangkok, how is the Royal Bangkok golf club? Is it only for members?

What about Royal dusit ? anyone tried?

Am based in BKK now so i thought i'll try to answer some of your questions.

If you have no car, the best way would be to hire transport. Can be taxi, but can also be a van. What I do is to book my golf games and transport through an agency. Transport comes in a van at a fixed rate including pick up and return, and cost is per van, which means that if you have a couple of friends, you can divide the price up. (Just PM me if you want the contact.) In my opinion, it is very hard to share taxis because of the CNG tank in the boot, which means each cab can take only 1 cart bag or 2 stand bags at the very most.

But do note that it is impossible for 1 ball to play on weekends and public holidays unless you join up with other flights; most courses require at least 3 balls to form a flight.

On Royal Bangkok golf club, I guess that you are referring to the one at Rajdamri. That is very strictly members only, and members are the extreme hi-so of Thai society. Up until last week, I was living just opposite it but it was so close yet so far. Could see it from my balcony but can't step foot in there. (UDD protests in the area has since forced me to move out.) In any case, the best chance of getting in is if you have a friend who's a member, who could then sign you in.

Nearest course to Bangkok would be Unico (as reviewed) and Krungthep Kreetha, though these are not the best courses. In any case, there are TONS of golf courses in Bangkok, and they are all generally good. Even Unico, which is the worst of the 10 or so courses I've played at so far, is actually of a very acceptable standard. Enjoy your time in Thailand, and I'm sure you'll have fun exploring them.

When are you coming up anyway? Maybe we could try to meet up. Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
Ridox
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 143
Join date : 2009-11-21
Age : 33
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Sun May 02, 2010 3:52 am

Wow.. Lum Lukka looks really good. Thanks for the wonderful review. A little out of Bangkok, I've got a friend in Thailand who recently switched jobs to work for Singha Park Khon Kaen, so got to know that it's actually the course where the last King's Cup was played.

More info here:
http://www.santiburi.com/khonkaen/index.html
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 10361
Join date : 2009-12-19
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Sun May 02, 2010 11:49 am

hey khorkar, thanks for sharing. Cool
Indra looks really great!
Makes me thinking of doing pilgrimage too......haha

Swing
Back to top Go down
avatar67
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 3
Join date : 2010-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 pm

vyeo wrote:
avatar67 wrote:
Anyone tried the Royal army course?
Will be staying in bangkok for about a year but no car, what is the best way to move around for golf?
Hiring a taxi for whole day what is the cost like?
If ant catch a quick game in bangkok, how is the Royal Bangkok golf club? Is it only for members?

What about Royal dusit ? anyone tried?

Am based in BKK now so i thought i'll try to answer some of your questions.

If you have no car, the best way would be to hire transport. Can be taxi, but can also be a van. What I do is to book my golf games and transport through an agency. Transport comes in a van at a fixed rate including pick up and return, and cost is per van, which means that if you have a couple of friends, you can divide the price up. (Just PM me if you want the contact.) In my opinion, it is very hard to share taxis because of the CNG tank in the boot, which means each cab can take only 1 cart bag or 2 stand bags at the very most.

But do note that it is impossible for 1 ball to play on weekends and public holidays unless you join up with other flights; most courses require at least 3 balls to form a flight.

On Royal Bangkok golf club, I guess that you are referring to the one at Rajdamri. That is very strictly members only, and members are the extreme hi-so of Thai society. Up until last week, I was living just opposite it but it was so close yet so far. Could see it from my balcony but can't step foot in there. (UDD protests in the area has since forced me to move out.) In any case, the best chance of getting in is if you have a friend who's a member, who could then sign you in.

Nearest course to Bangkok would be Unico (as reviewed) and Krungthep Kreetha, though these are not the best courses. In any case, there are TONS of golf courses in Bangkok, and they are all generally good. Even Unico, which is the worst of the 10 or so courses I've played at so far, is actually of a very acceptable standard. Enjoy your time in Thailand, and I'm sure you'll have fun exploring them.

When are you coming up anyway? Maybe we could try to meet up. Hope this helps!
Will be going up in Jun. looking to see how get Golf fix during the weekends. Understand that golfing is not that cheap on weekends and without transport is also quite troublesome.

How often do you play do you know of singaporeans who are there now or is there any golfing khakis there who form flights on weekends?

What's average cost of a weekend game?
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2978
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 42
Location : Sinkapoh

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Sharing with everyone on the new place that I've just visited.

This is newly renovated Thana City. It has a new clubs house and very nice facilities.

Layout,
The course is pretty flat like most BKK course due to its flat terrain. It has a very friendly fairways and water traps for those unsuspecting golfers. Due to rain, I find the fairways a bit soft and ball doesn't seem roll as much as it should. Overall, its a very friend course.

Putting Green,
I would rate the speed between 8-9 index and infact some of the holes were rather slow due to rain on the previous days. Some of the layout of putting green is tight and long, if you seen one with Yellow flag, you can generally take 1 club longer as some of the distance from front to end of the greens is as much 40 yrds.













Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 914
Join date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Sharing with everyone on the new place that I've just visited.

This is newly renovated Thana City. It has a new clubs house and very nice facilities.

Layout,
The course is pretty flat like most BKK course due to its flat terrain. It has a very friendly fairways and water traps for those unsuspecting golfers. Due to rain, I find the fairways a bit soft and ball doesn't seem roll as much as it should. Overall, its a very friend course.

Putting Green,
I would rate the speed between 8-9 index and infact some of the holes were rather slow due to rain on the previous days. Some of the layout of putting green is tight and long, if you seen one with Yellow flag, you can generally take 1 club longer as some of the distance from front to end of the greens is as much 40 yrds.


Bro thanks for the review nice pics,will keep in mind for my upcoming BKK trip.

BTW whats the greens fees like?
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2978
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 42
Location : Sinkapoh

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:29 pm

Depending on the seasons, i.e. Mar - Oct, it will about B1.6-1.8k. But Nov onward and especially in Dec, it will more expensive due to the in flux of Koreans/Japanese.

Nearby, there is a few other places nearby i.e. Lakewood, Kiarti Thanee.
Back to top Go down
3131T
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1185
Join date : 2009-12-08
Location : YCK

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:00 pm

Nice review KK...

But hor.....


BO JIO.....
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2978
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 42
Location : Sinkapoh

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:48 am

3131T wrote:
Nice review KK...

But hor.....


BO JIO.....

Hehe....next time, i jio you... ok.
Back to top Go down
ren_hao
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:42 am

I am going to Changmai in November. Planning to play 1 game...........unfortunately, I cant convince my CO to play with me............. so going to book just a ball

Anyone of you have any recommendation on which course to book? Think I see mentions of Alpine

I am a total beginner, so a "easy" course will be good Laughing
Back to top Go down
TLHENG
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 282
Join date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:01 am

maejo or highlands are very nice course
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:02 am

ren_hao wrote:
I am going to Changmai in November. Planning to play 1 game...........unfortunately, I cant convince my CO to play with me............. so going to book just a ball

Anyone of you have any recommendation on which course to book? Think I see mentions of Alpine

I am a total beginner, so a "easy" course will be good Laughing
don't worry plenty of golf courses in Chiang Mai and they got caddies to help u. Why not choose something near your hotel.
Back to top Go down
ren_hao
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:29 am

Hi enwee,
I will be staying in dusit D2, somewhere in town.

So, i am thinking of going to one of the course with max 1 hour drive.
So far, I am thinking of
Changmai Inthanon (a little far)
Alpine,
Changmai Highland
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:35 am

ren_hao wrote:
Hi enwee,
I will be staying in dusit D2, somewhere in town.

So, i am thinking of going to one of the course with max 1 hour drive.
So far, I am thinking of
Changmai Inthanon (a little far)
Alpine,
Changmai Highland
Have u check with your hotel any promo with any golf clubs, since u staying dusit thani.
Back to top Go down
ren_hao
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi TLHeng, enwee,

Thanks! I checked with my hotel, unfortunately, they dont have "special" promo. Golf agents seems to be a little cheaper (200 THB).

I am inclined to go highland...... since online review say it is a "easier" course and since all timeslots are available, i assume they are not too crowded. Total newbee, so a little paiseh with my swings.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:57 pm

ren_hao wrote:
Hi TLHeng, enwee,

Thanks! I checked with my hotel, unfortunately, they dont have "special" promo. Golf agents seems to be a little cheaper (200 THB).

I am inclined to go highland...... since online review say it is a "easier" course and since all timeslots are available, i assume they are not too crowded. Total newbee, so a little paiseh with my swings.
Go early, fyi, thai golf course can be quite pack even on a wkday. Enjoy you'll like it also u might wanna used the shoes cleaning services after games.
Back to top Go down
ren_hao
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:00 pm

enwee, thanks!

Think will go to the range and work on the drivers. If I can get something decent this week, I will likely confirm play at highland
Back to top Go down
TLHENG
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 282
Join date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Highland is the furthest of the 3 courses from center of the city. In terms of distance, maejo is nearest.
Back to top Go down
cybor01
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 14
Join date : 2009-12-06
Location : Jurong

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:37 pm

just came back from Chiang Mai not long ago.

Used Dave as my golf planner for hotel and golfing, 1 good fellow.
Can contact him throu website below...

http://www.chiangmaigolfing.com/index.html

Enjoy.

Chris L.
Back to top Go down
ren_hao
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi cybor01,

Thanks!

I contacted him too.............. but his e-mail reply a little short on details leh, at least in the area that I was looking for.............
My hotel like provided alot more details, and is marginally more exp

Anyway, which course you played on?
Back to top Go down
ren_hao
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:55 pm

TLHENG wrote:
Highland is the furthest of the 3 courses from center of the city. In terms of distance, maejo is nearest.

TLHeng, had initially strike this off because of the "narrow fairway" in some reviews.
Back to top Go down
cybor01
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 14
Join date : 2009-12-06
Location : Jurong

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:21 pm

ren_hao wrote:
Hi cybor01,

Thanks!

I contacted him too.............. but his e-mail reply a little short on details leh, at least in the area that I was looking for.............
My hotel like provided alot more details, and is marginally more exp

Anyway, which course you played on?


hmm...well, guess maybe have to use slighty more simple english, i think sometimes it the way they don know how to reply well...

I played Mae Jo, Alpine , Highlands and lastly Green Valley.
Supposely Alpine and Highlands are a must play...but since u can have 1 game only...I think Highland could be the nicest?? but its a addtional 15min or so further then Alpine??
Back to top Go down
alc16
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 3
Join date : 2012-07-06
Age : 43
Location : Singapore East

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for courses near Pattaya?
I know about the Siam Coutry Club Plantation & Old Course but what about other places like Amata?
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
raylowwl
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 109
Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:59 am

Hi all bros,

i'm planning a trip for my group of golf kakis (10-12) to ChiangMai, most prob 3/2N trip July to Oct period, any bros can recommend on:
1) courses to try
2) agents to used
3) hotels to stay
4) R&R

Thanks a lot...bros

Raymond
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Golfing in Thailand   Today at 12:37 am

Back to top Go down
 
Golfing in Thailand
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Golfing in Thailand
» Golfing in Pattaya Thailand
» thailand
» The golfing machine
» Info on golfing in Langkawi

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Overseas Games-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.