Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Help a total newbie

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Help a total newbie   Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a total newbie to the game of golf and happened to stumble onto this forum in the midst of my search for places to learn to play golf. Hope that the "old birds" here could offer some guidance.

1) Anyone has any recommendations as to where would be a good place to learn? I've browsed around, and Star Golf @ MBGC and Ultimate Golf @ Natural Park Driving Range seems not bad (at least to a noob like me)

2) What do I need to get started, e.g. do I need to get golf-specific shoes while learning?

3) What should I look out for when comparing the lessons offered by the various academies?

Thanks

Last edited by navik on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JohnBGLee
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:22 pm

Welcome on board.

Depending on your budget and your preferred location.
Would you want to travel to the West if you are staying in the east ?

There are many many coaches around.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:26 pm

First of all, welcome to GolfRepublic.org, navik!!

I would recommend that you recce and look for a place and school that you are comfortable with. Also make it a point to talk to the pros or observe how the pro conduct lessons and make sure you are comfortable with them.

Golf shoes, i think are a must. As for clubs, you can first borrow a set from a friend or your pro.
Back to top Go down
Daniel Ng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi,

I am Daniel from BGA Golf Network. We provide golf lessons and handicap maintenance recognised by Singapore Golf Association. You can visit us at www.bgagolf.com.sg or email me at daniel.golf@live.com

Our academy is located at Home Team NS Driving range at Bt. Batok. You can drop me an email and I can arrange for a trial lesson with no obligation.

At least, you can get a feel of this sport after the trial lesson and you can decide what to do next.

As for your question,
1] Golf shoes - its better for you to get a pair of shoe. You will need them at golf courses.
2] Golf equipment - we can provide you with the necessary clubs during lesson.

Cheers
Daniel
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:22 pm

1) see: http://www.golfrepublic.org/ask-the-pro-f17/golf-professionals-contact-details-t767.htm

2) just need interest and commitment to start... rest can be discussed with your pro or your firiends, and even the members here

3) most impt to find one that you are comfortable with.
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:44 pm

Guys, thanks for the prompt replies Very Happy

Budget wise I'm setting aside roughly $600 (I'm intending to take the lessons together with a friend). From the limited research I've done so far that seems to be the average price for a 2:1 student to instructor ratio, please correct me if I'm wrong

Location wise I'm staying in the east (but not driving). But as long as the location is not super ulu or hard to access via public transport I'm ok

I'll probably drop by a few of the places to take a look as advised, and pay a visit to Golf House to do some shoe shopping tomorrow. Got $100 Golf House voucher at the company D&D last month, any decent shoes to recommend around that budget?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:46 pm

FootJoys. Will not go wrong.

You can also consider Adidas, they are pretty awesome too.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:49 pm

PanWest still got Callaway shoes on sale for $19? think only small size left. They were my first shoe, not bad...
Back to top Go down
garfield
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Location : Latitude: 1º22´ North of the Equator, Longitude: 103º48´ East of Greenwich

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:51 pm

1) course fee are generally in that range +/- a couple of $10s dependent on the group size as well as the coach ranking - pro or senior pro or head coach.

2) i swear by footjoy. however it's all about personal prefernce. u must like the design and feel comfortable and confident in them.

3) the course structure for beginner is comparable, usually ending with a PC test. if u r not in a hurry to start your lesson, go and check out the various academies and observe how they teach their students.

since u dun drive, location is key. one can easily gets bored and dread the travelling after a while. so you really need to find a good buddy who will encourage and motivate you for 10 good weeks and also those in between days where you need to practice.

have fun shopping around for academies.
Back to top Go down
fredc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi Navik,
From my experience, you will not need to spend on a pair of golf shoes until you need to play on the golf course. Most driving range do not require you to wear golf shoes - any sports shoes will do. Also depending on the coach you engage, he may have clubs you can use. It is best to not spend on a golf set yet because you will not know what clubs best fit your swing - Japanese and American clubs have different config. If you do need to get some best to just get a P and 7 iron to start.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi fredc, thanks for sharing. I understand that at the end of the lessons, there would be 1-2 hrs spent on the golf course, so that means I would have to get the shoes by then right? Actually, the reason I was thinking of getting shoes was simply due to the Golf House vouchers (they expire at the end of this month).

On a side note, saw a pair of Footjoy Green Joys EXL today, seems quite nice and within my budget.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:03 pm

for coach, find one that you are comfortable with and at a location that is accessible via public transport and a short walk...some courses are not friendly for folks without private transportation or the willinglyness to engage taxi services

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
fredc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi Navik,
Well if you have the voucher then go ahead and get a pair. Still some good buys around. When you do engage a coach, best to check with him what clubs you will need to practise on between lessons. He should have some clubs ard in both graphite or steel shaft so that you can determine which material is more comfortable for you. You can also get some good second hand clubs at reasonable prices if you do need to buy some to practise.

Cheers
Fred
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:22 am

Hi guys I'm back again with more questions (sorry about that). I'm thinking of going to recce and have a chat with the coaches at Star Golf and Gary Edwin before deciding on where to sign up for lessons.

Just like to check if anyone has any recommendations on which coach to look for at either of the two academies?

Much appreciated. Thanks
Back to top Go down
star
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi navik, don't worry too much about getting the shoes and relevant equipment first. More important would be to find out more about the schools and lessons available - can talk more to people around you who play golf and have gone through lessons. Check out the reviews of your peers, colleagues, friends for the various schools and pros etc. Once you have enrolled yourself in a lesson, your pro would be able to advise you on the types of equipment / purchase you need for your lessons as well as to advance your learning / interest of the game - shoes / gloves / clubs included.

For the first few lessons, it's ok if you are just wearing track shoes as you are only going to be at the range. For me, when I first started my lessons, I was so excited to get clubs belonging to brands like TM, callaway etc. in the market. However, my pro was very "adamnant" on my getting mizuno clubs only - as I'm very petite and he said that for my beginner swings, best to get mizuno clubs which are of a lighter weight - if not, I wouldn't be able to do my swings properly at all (Not that I do my swings very correctly now... but that's due to a lack of practice. :p) Every week I kind of "pleaded" with him and asked him if this club or that club suitable for me, but he just looked at me in the eye and said - only mizuno, nothing else. Haha.
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi star, I like your coach already haha. It's good that he controls your urge to spend as it'll probably help you to save up for the correct equipment in the long run. I'm quite small size too, so will keep in mind the mizuno advice for next time.
Back to top Go down
RegiT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:14 pm

navik wrote:
Hi guys I'm back again with more questions (sorry about that). I'm thinking of going to recce and have a chat with the coaches at Star Golf and Gary Edwin before deciding on where to sign up for lessons.

Just like to check if anyone has any recommendations on which coach to look for at either of the two academies?

Much appreciated. Thanks
I trained Star and they were terrible. I actually got worse. The difference between Star and GE is like night and day.
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:48 pm

Hmm that sounds bad...anyone else has any recommendations? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help a total newbie   Today at 3:56 pm

Back to top Go down

Help a total newbie
View previous topic View next topic Back to top