Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
suj
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:33 pm

were always looking to better the score by changing clubs, balls, coaches, shoes, shafts, tees and what have you...

I dont recall being so hungry when i played tennis, badminton, basketball etc in my younger days...
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:36 pm

what can you change? balls? lol

and basketballs and tennis harder to know if you have significant improvement.

Score more aces? Free throw more accurate due to change of ball? Nay...

But golf you can blame many things....

Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:37 pm

I think golf is one of those sports where equipment forms a big part of your game. Whether or not this is true (some say that good golfers can use any club to play), it sure drives the golfing industry forward. It's a combination of sponsorship and excellent marketing. Whichever the case, it is a huge $$ industry.

Now... back to my scouting for more golf gear.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:40 pm

At least u can almost use the same set of clubs for all courses....

For bowlers, they have balls for low, medium, high oiled lanes.... and also a ball to convert spares....

Bowlers may change balls often too
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:18 pm

Competitive sportsman is quite a vague term....

Footballers or Basketballers or any other sports are very competitive too..
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:23 pm

nah.. I think the boys just want new toys to play with.. =p

Am I right boys?..LOL
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:24 pm

joleelyn wrote:

Am I right boys?..LOL

Yes.
Along with Gadgets.
Cars.
Clothings.
Bike.
Plane.

Wuah.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:26 pm

see...... I also know.

Not bad huh.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:24 pm

driver = very shiok to 'hit', all day talk about how stiff the shaft to put into the driver...also lost interest in it the fastest and change to new model as soon as something better (sometimes it just something different) comes along, doesnt matter the old one is still giving good service.

doesnt sound like competitiveness, maybe something else.....
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:31 pm

My view and view only....

Competitive to me is defined as doing anything to win....and being able to be found out by another 3rd party...so Soccer...has ref to call that....

In golf, at least for me, not many times I come across cases of doing anything to win eg. similar to handball in soccer, diving as in soccer.....Henceforth, relatively not as competitive ...

Golf is so clean....at least to me, yet to come across cases of doing anything that can equate to diving in soccer.......

BUT....I do say that GOLF is bloody addictive....
Back to top Go down
Mizzman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Duval, I think golf for most people is not so much a competition against others, but a competition against oneself. You're always considering how much better you can play, how you improve, rather than how you can beat your opponent.

Of course many ppl bet and that makes it a competition against others, but even then the handicap system makes it a competition against yourself...you know that if you can play to the best of your ability it's very likely you will beat your opponent, even though your opponent's ability level might be way above yours.

So it's constantly an internal competition, which makes golf so addictive and golfers so competitive...because ultimately you can always improve, and potentially you can always beat yourself.

And that is why golf is clean for the most part, because why you would want to cheat against yourself?
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:00 pm

Mizzman wrote:
Duval, I think golf for most people is not so much a competition against others, but a competition against oneself. You're always considering how much better you can play, how you improve, rather than how you can beat your opponent.

Of course many ppl bet and that makes it a competition against others, but even then the handicap system makes it a competition against yourself...you know that if you can play to the best of your ability it's very likely you will beat your opponent, even though your opponent's ability level might be way above yours.

So it's constantly an internal competition, which makes golf so addictive and golfers so competitive...because ultimately you can always improve, and potentially you can always beat yourself.

Well said Mizzman.

Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:19 pm

sorry mizzman...tot that will be term as 'Self improvement'. It just did not dawn on me that such is term as competitive....pls pardon my ignorance.....

In that case, yes......Golf is most competitive with the many others....
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:10 pm

I kinda look Golf to be competetive as we aged.

Most physical sports, like basketball, tennis and badminton offers a short life span even for serious sportsman just like Michael Jordan, Andre the tennis player et al.

But in Golf, people who are in their 60s and 70s could still play a mean game.

When I started learning Golf, one of the motivation that led me to stick to Golf, was seeing a 74year old golfer hitting a 250yard off the tee and playing a superb short game againgst younger guys.

I think this is the reason why some chose to play Golf becoz they can play this game as long as they can walk.
Back to top Go down
http://facebook.com/pnchung
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:58 pm

daveaha wrote:
joleelyn wrote:

Am I right boys?..LOL

Yes.
Along with Gadgets.
Cars.
Clothings.
Bike.
Plane.

Wuah.

You missed Girls..........?????
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:59 pm

Golf is one of those games that players get to blame their kit for a poor round. You never see footballers blame the ball or the shoes Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?   Today at 4:05 pm

Back to top Go down

are golfers the most competiive sportsman around?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1