Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Super slow golfer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1005
Join date : 2009-06-26
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:02 pm

sunny wrote:
Please note the forum rules especially:

7. No discussion of RACE, RELIGION and POLITICS or any topics that may result in disputes and controversies.

We do want to keep discussions as free as possible but we wish everyone to exercise some restrain and sensitivity as some comments may have undertones that could result in disputes and controversies.

Hi Sunny, in view of this comment, better delete away the singapore idol thread, just in case something spark out like what TS have mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:05 pm

shotah wrote:
sunny wrote:
Please note the forum rules especially:

7. No discussion of RACE, RELIGION and POLITICS or any topics that may result in disputes and controversies.

We do want to keep discussions as free as possible but we wish everyone to exercise some restrain and sensitivity as some comments may have undertones that could result in disputes and controversies.

Hi Sunny, in view of this comment, better delete away the singapore idol thread, just in case something spark out like what TS have mentioned.

Shotah, we don't mindlessly delete threads. All threads must be monitored and moderated when the need arises. Like I said, free speech is appreciated but so are discretion and sensitivity. Hope you understand.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member


Posts : 3575
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:05 pm

shotah wrote:
I dun know about the nationality/race and I am not bothered lah. But i just wonder why people cannot comment on a sale. Like siaw's post on the irons for sale and someone deleted SS post. Previously, i remembered you commenting on the MX300 that someone was selling. Nevertheless, its already been deleted i think.

I think golf forum should allow somebody to comment on a sales thread. If there is too much crap on the sales thread, the author should come in and say something lah, not the mods. If too much crap will take up server's space, then might as well take away those thread that got no relation to golf, like "get into the ring" and " actually, i also damn biased"

Hi Shotah,

We do allow comments pertaining to the sales such as enquiries etc.

The reason why we do not want people to start chatting on the sales chat is some may make use of it in a deliberate attempt to bump the threads and make the whole forum like a classified.

We are however trying to relax on the rules if we can see that it is not due to deliberate bumpings but a couple of forum members seems to be very angry that we do not enforce the rules strictly.

Thus our marketplace moderators have no choice but to monitor them more dilligently. But as you know, this is not their day job, we cannot expect them to be monitoring the forum every single moment to keep it neat and tidy.

I hope this clarifies our stand.

_________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1005
Join date : 2009-06-26
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:07 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I appreciate that you're not bothered, Shotah. It's great that you're understanding but unfortunately, not everyone is. So, we need to balance the situation a little. Hope you understand.

And, I didn't delete SS' post. You may think it was me (since I spend a lot of time lurking around here) but it wasn't. Regardless, we are also trying to ensure that marketplace threads do not end up getting too cluttered with chitchat. Now, before you scream, I know that I'm guilty of this too and I've been reprimanded about this.

One of the key reasons to this rule is to ensure that the posts do not artificially get bumped. We want to give all buyers/sellers a fair chance to buy/sell their items. I hope you see the rationale in this approach.

Bumping is ok i think if it is is done with a good intention. I thought the vision is to increase the number of golfers in Singapore??? SO by bumping, newbies will not miss out on good deals or something affordable. Some of them do not have the time to go to look at every single thread. Maybe you guys can teach the sellers how to non-artificially bump the sales thread, like the GR caps saga... Smile
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2648
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 41
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:08 pm

william,

in short, either u accept the rules n regulation n system here......
else, u can always go other forums...

i think....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:11 pm

Victor3112 wrote:
If the marshall at MBGC drive up to you and offer you ride to the toilet.... then you know you are too slow and hold up the flight behind.

We were 4 in the flight out there near Christmas. I knew we were slow becos one of the newbie kept rolling the ball with 4woods. Marshall came up once to push us speeding up but then I could not could lah. Then I kept seeing marshallssssss drove up and down observing something for hte next few holes but not complaining. I can see the 3balls behind macam pro cannot tahan liao. Suddenly one marshall drove up toward us. I told him "sorry lah... we do our best already". But he ignored me with a smile and go direct to my mate and said "Excuse me! You want to go toilet isit? I can give you a ride. Very near only."

My mate "Yes", then turned to me "How does he know huh?"

By the time she got back, 3 of us already played 2holes liao. (But OK for her bcos she not keeping scores.)

See? That is a good marshall with brain. At least no black face or full of words.

LOL! I've had good and bad experiences with marshals. One of my times at MBGC, a marshal came up to my flight and asked that we speed up (what else is new?). When we told him that we were ahead of our schedule, he was surprised. He thought we were the flight in front. He promptly apologized.

There have also been times when my flight was slow. I've got some friends who enjoy playing in the sand so much that they shovel their way around the bunkers like no one's business. The marshal came by and asked up to speed up. We weren't holding up anyone behind (we didn't see any flight behind us) but we were behind schedule. When asked who we were holding up, the marshal ignored the question and simply pointed to the timing card on the buggy. Rather than pick an argument with the marshal, my friend picked up his ball and skipped the hole. He went on to birdie the next hole so I think he wasn't too displeased in the end.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1005
Join date : 2009-06-26
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:14 pm

sunny wrote:
shotah wrote:
I dun know about the nationality/race and I am not bothered lah. But i just wonder why people cannot comment on a sale. Like siaw's post on the irons for sale and someone deleted SS post. Previously, i remembered you commenting on the MX300 that someone was selling. Nevertheless, its already been deleted i think.

I think golf forum should allow somebody to comment on a sales thread. If there is too much crap on the sales thread, the author should come in and say something lah, not the mods. If too much crap will take up server's space, then might as well take away those thread that got no relation to golf, like "get into the ring" and " actually, i also damn biased"

Hi Shotah,

We do allow comments pertaining to the sales such as enquiries etc.

The reason why we do not want people to start chatting on the sales chat is some may make use of it in a deliberate attempt to bump the threads and make the whole forum like a classified.

We are however trying to relax on the rules if we can see that it is not due to deliberate bumpings but a couple of forum members seems to be very angry that we do not enforce the rules strictly.

Thus our marketplace moderators have no choice but to monitor them more dilligently. But as you know, this is not their day job, we cannot expect them to be monitoring the forum every single moment to keep it neat and tidy.

I hope this clarifies our stand.

Thanks Sunny and TS, me actually rotting in the office already so your prompt replies are keeping me awake. Marketplace is also a place that attracts people to your forum. Unless you could reach the level of Golfwrx where reviews can be trusted, if not seriously, nothing much to read about. But dun worry... I think you guys will reach that level eventually, i have faith in you.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:14 pm

shotah wrote:
Bumping is ok i think if it is is done with a good intention. I thought the vision is to increase the number of golfers in Singapore??? SO by bumping, newbies will not miss out on good deals or something affordable. Some of them do not have the time to go to look at every single thread. Maybe you guys can teach the sellers how to non-artificially bump the sales thread, like the GR caps saga... Smile

Valid points, Shotah. However, golfers who don't have time to go through the threads can use the search function or put up a WTB thread. Sounds reasonable, yes?

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1368
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:18 pm

sunny wrote:


Hi Shotah,

We do allow comments pertaining to the sales such as enquiries etc.

The reason why we do not want people to start chatting on the sales chat is some may make use of it in a deliberate attempt to bump the threads and make the whole forum like a classified.

We are however trying to relax on the rules if we can see that it is not due to deliberate bumpings but a couple of forum members seems to be very angry that we do not enforce the rules strictly.

Thus our marketplace moderators have no choice but to monitor them more dilligently. But as you know, this is not their day job, we cannot expect them to be monitoring the forum every single moment to keep it neat and tidy.

I hope this clarifies our stand.

Actually only now I realized that my comment on the ikasu's in being a good set of irons has been deleted, and Yes, I am a little upset.

I looked at other for sale threads. http://www.golfrepublic.org/marketplace-f8/wts-used-adams-pro-gold-hybrid-20-t3441.htm
and I see non-sale related comments still there? e.g "I been using it for almost a year. One of the best hybrid around" ????

What gives?
Back to top Go down
TLHENG
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 282
Join date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:18 pm

On the contrary, I understood exactly what TLHENG is trying to say. I know that he's talking about MBGC's marshals. My point was that we should not delve into discussions about foreigners vs locals, which is what TLHENG was pointing out, i.e. about how foreigners are treated better.

It's a fact and is sharing that with fellow GRs a problem with you? Did I pit the foreigners against the locals? No, I have no problem with the foreign players. All i said was the different levels of treatment by the marshall. What's wrong with that?

On the subject of sensitivity:

No where in my post did I mentioned about race, religion, culture or politics. So what so sensitive about my post?
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1005
Join date : 2009-06-26
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Technospaz wrote:
shotah wrote:
Bumping is ok i think if it is is done with a good intention. I thought the vision is to increase the number of golfers in Singapore??? SO by bumping, newbies will not miss out on good deals or something affordable. Some of them do not have the time to go to look at every single thread. Maybe you guys can teach the sellers how to non-artificially bump the sales thread, like the GR caps saga... Smile

Valid points, Shotah. However, golfers who don't have time to go through the threads can use the search function or put up a WTB thread. Sounds reasonable, yes?

You think beginners know what to look for in a golfset??? with those comments on the sales thread, then maybe they can get a better idea mah....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:25 pm

shotah wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
shotah wrote:
Bumping is ok i think if it is is done with a good intention. I thought the vision is to increase the number of golfers in Singapore??? SO by bumping, newbies will not miss out on good deals or something affordable. Some of them do not have the time to go to look at every single thread. Maybe you guys can teach the sellers how to non-artificially bump the sales thread, like the GR caps saga... Smile

Valid points, Shotah. However, golfers who don't have time to go through the threads can use the search function or put up a WTB thread. Sounds reasonable, yes?

You think beginners know what to look for in a golfset??? with those comments on the sales thread, then maybe they can get a better idea mah....

Noted, Shotah. Good point. This issue is under consideration by the admin.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:25 pm

forum moderation has and always will be one of the most controversial topics in the history of cyberspace. People who are not moderators will usually believe that they are right, and believe that mods just delete posts that are perceived to be wrong.

In the forums that I moderate, mods who see possible sensitive topics will usually inform other mods, and outright offensive stuff is deleted immediately without consultation, content that is contentious is usually debated within the moderator group and a consensus is reached by all, or vetoed by board owner, and action taken. Personal attacks usually result in mods sending out a PM requesting that the poster/member edit the comment accordingly and refrain from personal attacks, failing which the member is suspended. A second occurrence usually results in a ban, but there obviously will be an attempt to contact the members involved to have them tone it down.

Buy and sell sections usually attract contention when one member shits on another member's post.

e.g. Person A selling a set of vokey wedges and someone comes in and says things like, "i can get this cheaper at XXXX", or "those wedges are shit". Some comments help, others don't.

Simple rules:
- what works for someone may not work for you. Respect that.
- If you can get it cheaper elsewhere (and can prove it), PM the seller to let them know as a courtesy.
- Don't complain that the price is too high if you're not planning to buy it. If you are planning to buy the item, PM the seller and negotiate pricing. If he/she is not prepared to negotiate on price, walk away -- he/she is not obliged to spend time to negotiate, or reply. He/she doesn't owe you anything, and you don't owe them anything either.

Sometimes, moderators have a job that is not too different from that of a schoolteacher, because the parties involved never think they are in the wrong, and in the end, someone need to arbitrate.

Ultimately, a forum is a place for people to share and be constructive. Many antagonizers tend to be keyboard heros, and usually do not confront the other party in real life, or even try to work out their differences.


Last edited by ghoonk on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1005
Join date : 2009-06-26
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:26 pm

Technospaz wrote:
shotah wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
shotah wrote:
Bumping is ok i think if it is is done with a good intention. I thought the vision is to increase the number of golfers in Singapore??? SO by bumping, newbies will not miss out on good deals or something affordable. Some of them do not have the time to go to look at every single thread. Maybe you guys can teach the sellers how to non-artificially bump the sales thread, like the GR caps saga... Smile

Valid points, Shotah. However, golfers who don't have time to go through the threads can use the search function or put up a WTB thread. Sounds reasonable, yes?

You think beginners know what to look for in a golfset??? with those comments on the sales thread, then maybe they can get a better idea mah....

Noted, Shotah. Good point. This issue is under consideration by the admin.

No need to discuss lah, nothing big deal also. Sunny just need to know the advantages of having helpful comments.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member


Posts : 3575
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
sunny wrote:


Hi Shotah,

We do allow comments pertaining to the sales such as enquiries etc.

The reason why we do not want people to start chatting on the sales chat is some may make use of it in a deliberate attempt to bump the threads and make the whole forum like a classified.

We are however trying to relax on the rules if we can see that it is not due to deliberate bumpings but a couple of forum members seems to be very angry that we do not enforce the rules strictly.

Thus our marketplace moderators have no choice but to monitor them more dilligently. But as you know, this is not their day job, we cannot expect them to be monitoring the forum every single moment to keep it neat and tidy.

I hope this clarifies our stand.

Actually only now I realized that my comment on the ikasu's in being a good set of irons has been deleted, and Yes, I am a little upset.

I looked at other for sale threads. http://www.golfrepublic.org/marketplace-f8/wts-used-adams-pro-gold-hybrid-20-t3441.htm
and I see non-sale related comments still there? e.g "I been using it for almost a year. One of the best hybrid around" ????

What gives?

Hi ssquirel, as i said, those moderators and volunteers are not full time on this. I hardly read the wts/wtb too. Very occasionally when I do, i would help them to post the images etc but normally those threads do not excite me and I hardly view them.

As I said, we do not want to go too extreme on this too and some stuff may slip. We had been trying to relax this rule but unfortunately mervyntan and tlheng seems to be very upset about us not enforcing and thus our volunteers would spend sometimes to scan around. But you cannot expect 100% efficiency.

Like I said, we would still be trying to relax on this rule and maybe do away with it soon.

_________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:35 pm

shotah wrote:
No need to discuss lah, nothing big deal also. Sunny just need to know the advantages of having helpful comments.

Of course must discuss (at least a little). You have valid points. We do not simply dismiss feedback. Not fair to you or others, right?

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:37 pm

@sunny and @technospaz : if this helps, get the complainers to join the list of moderators for that sub-forum so they can help and at the same time experience what a moderator is committed to do.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:39 pm

ghoonk wrote:
@sunny and @technospaz : if this helps, get the complainers to join the list of moderators for that sub-forum so they can help and at the same time experience what a moderator is committed to do.

That's also under consideration Smile

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 6193
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 35
Location : Training

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:42 pm

we have digressed from the main topic...

i think all the suggestions or comments about how the forum is moderated or run can be move to another thread. as long as the discussion remains constructive and civil i am all for discussion on various improvements. i ask that members keep an open mind and understand that the team here is just doing their utmost to be fair to all members, new birds old birds or rotten birds(hehe)

_________________
Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 10.5* Ahina 60 R
PRGR EGG Spoon 15* MRC Fubuki Alpha 70S
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 19* MRC Fubuki AH R
Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 7236
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Sillypore

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:42 pm

@ghook bring tweeting etiquette here.. hahahaha... but the thing is that whether are they up for the challenge?

its like you said, most people are keyboard heros only. when you put them up to it, they don't step up to it, just keep quiet and squirm away. although i have seen some people step up to it, but also understand our plight in the end. but so far, only a handful.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member


Posts : 3575
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:42 pm

interesting idea!

_________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:43 pm

eiji wrote:
we have digressed from the main topic...

This was my bad. My apologies, everyone.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
fribriz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 85
Join date : 2009-10-20
Age : 52
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:43 pm

9 pages on a post about speed of play? Amazing!!!!
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 7236
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Sillypore

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:53 pm

fribriz, there was 14 pages about 1 round of golf... but i kena for that one.
Back to top Go down
fribriz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 85
Join date : 2009-10-20
Age : 52
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:59 pm

Razz I must have missed that....golf is a game for enjoyment. Let's not get too stressed on it..PEACE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Super slow golfer   Today at 10:11 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Super slow golfer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Super slow golfer
» Need info on Airline golf bag charges
» SuperSlowrolla super slow build
» HooptownGTA's Super 16 Pre-season Rankings
» Slow poke drivers

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.