Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

I really regret using KBS shafts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 pm

S70B wrote:
Alvin,

There is no 'lighter/heavier is better' theory. Everyone swings differently and the trick is finding out what is supposed to suit you... and the way to find out is to go for a thorough clubfitting session.

Hum... I have yet to look into the shafts of my irons yet as I have never gone to a club fitter b4... all my clubs are stock clubs. Will probably drop by BFG for an analysis one of these days... Smile

For all I know... likely that my clubs & shafts are all not suitable for me! hehe... Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:19 pm

Well, the only way to know is to commit to a session.

Quite a few people praising KBS here but because everyone is unique in their swing, it could be a Dynalite Gold SL (as an eg) that you nail ur irons the best.

Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:21 pm

jurongtiger wrote:
Wah Bro ken

YOu make me gian again... was wanting to reshaft mine into PX5.5 with Eric.... then at the corner of my mind was bio'ing KBS R-flex...

HOWWWWW

I know! I thought it was just a 'novel' thing when I first played with the Miuras, but when I switched back to playing my KC ProMBs on PX5.0 and my Miura-forged TM RAC MBs (PX5.0 satin), they just felt so much harsher.

I have a set of Tour 90s (R-flex) sitting in my storeroom now, am going to seek advice from DGman to get his thoughts on whether they would be appropriate for my Miura-forged TM RAC MBs sitting in Singapore. My game plan is to pull the PX5.0s out of that set and stick it into the Cleveland CG1s (since they are a backup set anyway)
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:25 pm

S70B wrote:
Well, the only way to know is to commit to a session.

Quite a few people praising KBS here but because everyone is unique in their swing, it could be a Dynalite Gold SL (as an eg) that you nail ur irons the best.

You're right on that. Different strokes for different people.

That said, I had the regional head of Troon Golf try out my set, along with my instructors at BHSG Dubai and they were pretty impressed with the shaft.

Problem is, it feels horrid going back to play the other sets, and I think my next trip to SG is going to be expensive, and DGman / Jeff is going to be quite busy...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:35 pm

Kenneth,

I realised that ho'ing so much last year may have gotten in the way of my golf improving. Laughing

Like I said in MC's thread, after I got myself properly fitted at FuZion Golf here, there is no 2nd guessing what suits me or what don't given the fact that I tried almost everything available in the market there.

Hearsays and friend's 'feedback' is the sure way to be poorer by spending more and more in this sport as there will always be doubt in your mind whether what you wield in your hands are really best suited for yourself.

Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Same here. I got so many sets, but I only stick with one right now. I got fitted at GH here in Dubai, and again at DGman. Did not get fitted for shafts though.

More spending at BFG this CNY, I suspect...
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Heh... I see that it sounds really expensive to get the shafts custom fitted... -_-'''
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:40 pm

Length and lie adjustment isn't expensive, it's the cost of getting brand new shafts all over again. But in theory, you only need to do it for ONE set. Which is why I am seriously considering getting DGman to reshaft my SG playing set.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:41 pm

Alvin,

Its going to be more expensive to be buying more or changing constantly off-the-rack equipment over the long run. The investment to get fitted is only a small price to pay for longevity in the game.

Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:44 pm

S70B wrote:
Alvin,

Its going to be more expensive to be buying more or changing constantly off-the-rack equipment over the long run. The investment to get fitted is only a small price to pay for longevity in the game.

Hum... I see where you are coming from... I will plan a trip down to get my clubs analyzed soon! Smile Thanks for your help and advice!
Back to top Go down
frosTEE
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
LostSoul wrote:

Is it gd u got to try it yourself then u know. For me im stuck on the KBS cos im just so use to it.
The shafts really make such a big difference?? Shocked
I'm not good enough to tell the difference; Sad

And im not gd enough for it

Lost soul
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:25 pm

frosTEE wrote:

And im not gd enough for it

Lost soul
Hahaha... as long as you have fun and enjoy the game more... it's good enuff!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:34 pm

I enjoy the game more when I shoot more pars than bogeys or double bogeys Smile
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:15 pm

S70B wrote:
Aloyboy wrote:
Kbs gt so good meh?

It wun cure an over-the-top swing nor a shank or duffs but if you are the type that can strike the ball decently, you should feel some difference from the rest of the shafts.

Agree with S70B, ever since traded my PX 5.5 for KBS on my AP2 and reshafted my Vokey 52 to KBS wedge shaft, I have never regreted. My kaki abit skeptical abt KBS because they never tried.. too bad for them..
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:24 pm

Which means MORE STOCK for us! Especially MC
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:29 pm

i just got to manila and was thinking about possible shafts for my C.C Wedges if I can find any...

black nickel heads with black wedge shafts... hmm....
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:33 pm

woo, I just got a set of KBS Black Nickel iron shafts 3 to PW for USD225!
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:35 pm

Eh Bro

Where you get such good deals one? Ebay or 3balls? Got pic or not???? Sibei Gian

ghoonk wrote:
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:35 pm

i think i will stay overseas liao.

. all the gd stuff, all with the AWAY ppl.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:37 pm

jurongtiger wrote:
Eh Bro

Where you get such good deals one? Ebay or 3balls? Got pic or not???? Sibei Gian

ghoonk wrote:

Forgot to mention that they are a set of pulls, not brand new. Check eBay and GolfWRX but i would be a bit careful of the latter as I have had a couple of bad experiences there.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:40 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:

overseas means no muah chee for you. no cheap courses a la malaysia. pros and cons la. no BFG. no Far East Shopping Center. No Creative Golf.

Being away from aging parents and wife isn't exactly fun either.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:44 pm

Being away from the kids is the killer.
Back to top Go down
icejazz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:30 pm

This thread really got me tempted to try the shaft. There seems to be 3 different shaft on KBS website. Tour Specs Tapered Tip, Tour Specs Parallel Tip and Tour 90. Anyway Master can advise beside that Tour 90 is the lighter specs
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:46 pm

I do agree with being away on posting and the cons. BUT having said and understood all that, once you are alone having a beer after a game of weekday golf with your buddies, hey, maybe it is quite fun to be all alone out here in the Middle East! Well... at least for me...

Bro Ghoonk

I wld be sleepin over in Dubai tmr night before running the Big Race on Friday. I would need to pop down to GH in DubaiMall to try to ask for an empty used iron box to transport my irons from AUH to SIN by DGMAN reshafting.

You have any lobang for boxes before I go GH with crippled legs and get rejected (like I did in AUH, they say no boxes for me)

I am doing Airasia this trip back therefore paying for additional baggage would not be cost efficient.

ghoonk wrote:
mUAr_cHEe wrote:

overseas means no muah chee for you. no cheap courses a la malaysia. pros and cons la. no BFG. no Far East Shopping Center. No Creative Golf.

Being away from aging parents and wife isn't exactly fun either.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:15 pm

i would like to related a story that happened yesterday...

A couple (Mr and Mrs A) came in to try different shafts....after a while, another golfer (Mr B) who has a scheduled appointment turned up. Mr A then asked me what is club fitting, i turned to him and told him he will find out after 15 minutes.

Mr B then proceeded to hit his 7-iron cobra fitted with standard NS Pro R flex shaft. he wants to be fitted with graphite shaft. After about 6 or 7 shots, i asked him to stop. Amazingly, his angle of attack for his 7 iron was in the -7 or -8 degree range, the maximum height was in the 35 metres range and the total distance for his 7 iron was 165 meters average but his shots was widely dispersed. Mr B has never been fitted before and i can see he was quite skeptical.

I asked him what he wanted to find out and he said he wants to find the right combination to get him a better ball flight and tighter dispersion.

so i handed him a blade iron (6 iron but same loft as his cobra 7 iron) fitted with a KBS S flex in the 120 range. i can see that he was quite pissed with me because he wanted a lighter shaft but i gave him something that he was not used to. but he proceed to start hitting the 6 iron to maybe prove me wrong....

first shot...straight down the middle, 2nd shot ...straight down the middle, 3rd shot, 4th shot, 5th shot...all straight down the middle. he walked away and took his cobra 7 iron and it started spraying, went back to the blade iron with the S flex and its straight down the middle.

at this point, i turned to Mr A and told him...now this is club fitting...

why??? Mr B have a club head speed for a 7 iron at 85 mph, when i handed him the KBS S flex, it went to 90 mph, but his tempo was much better on the heavier shaft, hence he managed to nailed it. the angle of attack on the stiffer shaft was in the -3 degree range and the ball contact was naturally better. KBS being a a higher kick shaft also produced a lower ball flight which produce better penetration and better distance. Mr B was hitting his 6 iron in the 190 meter range, yes 190+ meters...

Now Mr A wanted to do a fitting but because he did not bring his own set, i declined. Mr B was hitting ball after ball but he promised to be back.

He came back today and brought his CG-1, in grafalloy blue graphite shaft. his new brief was.."Just do what you recommend to get me the same result as what i experienced yesterday...". needless to say, we fitted a spare 6 iron S flex in his CG-1 to let him experience how the shaft will perform in his CG-1s...just in case the Ikasu blade has got kong dao written all over.

but i want to add that we are able to find a new dimension in fitting irons and this is done with the swing type of the individual in mind. unlike the folks where S70B got fitted in the US, we use different sets of stats and the players swing type to fit...i can't say more cos its our trade secret but i have found it to be very effective.

having say that, i must add that none of this was previously possible because we do not have a precise analysis device like the TrackMan. Now that we do, we strongly recommend anyone who wants to be fitted seriously to find a club fitter with the right tools.

thank you for reading and i hope you too will find the same satisfaction as Mr B.

DGman.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I really regret using KBS shafts   Today at 4:32 pm

Back to top Go down

I really regret using KBS shafts
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next