Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Els Club

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:32 pm

Folks,

I wanna share my experience at The Els Club in Dubai Sports City yesterday. I am supposed to be on biz... got a free afternoon yesterday Cool , and some local SG-connection (he shall remain unnammed to avoid any incriminating evidence as both of us supposed to be working in ofc... but the old birds in this forum should know who lah!) led to me playing a beautiful course and the experience is something I never experienced in SG

(1) Course in immaculate condition - fairway is firm and fast, greens allow balls to drop and stop / bite / spin
(2) Cold water dispenser at every other tee box
(3) GPS in golf cart
(4) unlimited supply of tees
(5) free brass divot tool
(6) free yardage book
(7) free golf digest mag in the changing room!!
(8) free bag tag inscribed with you name at end of the round
(9) unlimited golf balls at range and short game area - Callaway range balls mind you! Shocked
(10) Last but not least, got to use some tour issued equipment compliments of my playing partner who is a real tour issue slut --> thank you... you know who u are!

Sigh... makes me think about my upcoming round on Sat at NSRCC... feels like a reality check for me

but guys, this is what playing in a real championship course is like... for SGD150 green fees... i think is is real value
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:41 pm

when i started golf back in 2000...i started in Dubai.
there were only emirates, dubai creek, nad al sheba, jebel ali and the long drive up to abu dhabi.
back then it was already very good...the courses were well maintained, range balls unlimited, experienced marshalls, golfers with good etiquette Exclamation

when montgomerie started ard 2002...they even had eastern european girls driving ard with cold towels (during the summer months)......

hope to make a trip back to dubai and see how much more it has improved.

definitely a two thumbs up destination for golf...(avoid the summer with its 40+ temp)
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:46 pm

Bro pocketace, like that say....no need to go Ria Bintan liao
Let's chiong all the middle east course
btw got pretty caddies boh
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:55 pm

eden wrote:
there were only emirates, dubai creek, nad al sheba, jebel ali and the long drive up to abu dhabi.
back then it was already very good...the courses were well maintained, range balls unlimited, experienced marshalls, golfers with good etiquette Exclamation

when montgomerie started ard 2002...they even had eastern european girls driving ard with cold towels (during the summer months)......

definitely a two thumbs up destination for golf...(avoid the summer with its 40+ temp)

heh, there are still course assistants who drive around in carts during the warmer months offering ice cold towels to cool yourself off with Smile

If you're coming by to Dubai, let me know, I'll made the 'necessary' arrangements Wink
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:58 pm

skybobo wrote:

No caddies. Cart has GPS and icebox with 2 bottles of mineral water. Proper electric carts too, not the petrol powered, noisy ones used on some JB courses.

btw, emirates is now having a promotion, see http://emirates.com/sg/English/destinations_offers/special_offers/special_fares/special_fares.aspx?id=532025#532025

AED1000 (around SGD350) to fly to Dubai Wink
Back to top Go down
weaponx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:02 pm

geez, that sure sounds like better value compared to the china courses! higher cost, and none of the frills!
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:05 pm

ghoonk wrote:
eden wrote:

heh, there are still course assistants who drive around in carts during the warmer months offering ice cold towels to cool yourself off with Smile

If you're coming by to Dubai, let me know, I'll made the 'necessary' arrangements Wink

That sound sooooo tempting. Btw don't mind me asking, roughly what's the costs like for 4 days and 3 rounds of golf. Thanks.

Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Each weekday round at The Els Club costs AED375 for 18 holes, inclusive of buggy. I think a round at Al Badia is around the same

See rates here:

http://www.emiratesgolffederation.com/promotions/index.asp

Hotel stay varies, depending on where you want to stay. If you are here for 4 days, I'd say you should hit:

Day 1
AM : Al Badia Golf Club AED695
PM : Dubai Creek Yacht & Golf Club AED595

Day 2
AM : Emirates Golf Club (Majlis Course) AED825
PM : The Montgomerie AED795

Day 3
AM : The Els Club AED375
PM : Jumeirah Golf Estates (Earth course) POA

Day 4 : Rest Smile

Not cheap, but these courses will blow your mind. The condition, the hospitality are unparalleled.
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:54 pm

I am very happy we have another GR that likes the UAE courses!

I totally agree with the above comments and Ghoonk's. It is value for money and The condition, the hospitality are unparalleled.

Smile

ghoonk wrote:
Each weekday round at The Els Club costs AED375 for 18 holes, inclusive of buggy. I think a round at Al Badia is around the same

See rates here:

Hotel stay varies, depending on where you want to stay. If you are here for 4 days, I'd say you should hit:

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Not cheap, but these courses will blow your mind. The condition, the hospitality are unparalleled.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:03 pm

Hey, we should arrange a round at Abu Dhabi Golf Club soon!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:08 pm

Ghoonk
wait for me... i must plan my return trip before the end of Q1
this time I bring my clubs... then no excuses from my end!

Rgds
TS
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:09 pm

skybobo wrote:
bro
this is a whole new level man

tell u when we meet in SG... too bad this Sat u not joining our flight

enjoy ur round
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:15 pm

pocketace wrote:
Ghoonk
wait for me... i must plan my return trip before the end of Q1
this time I bring my clubs... then no excuses from my end!

Rgds
TS

yes, and factor an extra day on weekend! If you can tahan, we can hit Al Badia in early morning, then have light lunch and play at The Els Club in afternoon, leaving you with enough time to pack for an 11 pm flight Wink
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:19 pm

And I thought Vietnam was expensive!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:20 pm

You want to play, you got to pay. Smile

If not, there's always the JB courses

Wait till you see what Pebble Beach costs, or how hard it is to get a slot at Bethpage Black Razz
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:23 pm

ghoonk wrote:

See rates here:

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Damn, this plan look damn sweet. I like...
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:54 pm

ghoonk wrote:
You want to play, you got to pay. Smile

If not, there's always the JB courses

Wait till you see what Pebble Beach costs, or how hard it is to get a slot at Bethpage Black Razz

Have yet to try any of the courses in Malaysia, or Singapore . Based in Vietnam so only get to play here. However, might just get my bosses to send me to Dubai for a working trip soon. If it happens, hope to be able to meet up and have a game..
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:55 pm

Definitely!

I hear the courses in VN are excellent as well. What do they cost for a round?

pocketace will be able to share his experience of what the fairways, bunkers, greens and rough is like
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:01 pm

Bro, can give an estimation how much we should save if want to plan a trip like yr itineraries?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:17 pm

wah lau... I just realised that the green fees for Els Course is 'cheapest' compared to the other courses that Ghoonk recommended... so can I expect Pro-V 1 for driving range and short game? hehehehehhe

I estimate you set aside average of S$250 per round. I think Ghoonk is a bit slave-driver lah... 36 holes a day!?!? I think 18 holes in the morning, then go do some sight-seeing in the afternoon if you are planning to come here for vacation

my experience with Els course condition is as such
(1) Greens - fast... watch out for downhillers... ball rolls true (because we use the divot tool to fix the pitch mark.... Very Happy)
(2) Fairways - firm, ball sits up nicely like driving range mat. Those who hit low running 'stingers' can enjoy good run on the fw
(3) Rough - thankfully not much of an issue, not the most penal
(4) Tee Box - one word... swee... I see Ghoonk simply dropping his ball on the tee box for par 3, not even bothered to put on tee, why... cos the ball already sitting up!
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Golf itself will be in the region of AED4k
Emirates currently has a promotion, AED1000 for return ticket (i posted the URL earlier)
Accommodation is around USD75 per night, let's say you stay 4 nights (USD300, approx AED1200)

Total is around AED6200, or around SGD2400 for 4 nights, 6 rounds of golf, inclusive of airfare and accommodation. I factored in 1 extra night so you can rest, or get some shopping done, or go sighteeing. Price estimate doesn't include what your wife and kids spend Razz
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:32 pm

pocketace wrote:
wah lau... I just realised that the green fees for Els Course is 'cheapest' compared to the other courses that Ghoonk recommended... so can I expect Pro-V 1 for driving range and short game? hehehehehhe

I estimate you set aside average of S$250 per round. I think Ghoonk is a bit slave-driver lah... 36 holes a day!?!? I think 18 holes in the morning, then go do some sight-seeing in the afternoon if you are planning to come here for vacation

my experience with Els course condition is as such
(1) Greens - fast... watch out for downhillers... ball rolls true (because we use the divot tool to fix the pitch mark.... Very Happy)
(2) Fairways - firm, ball sits up nicely like driving range mat. Those who hit low running 'stingers' can enjoy good run on the fw
(3) Rough - thankfully not much of an issue, not the most penal
(4) Tee Box - one word... swee... I see Ghoonk simply dropping his ball on the tee box for par 3, not even bothered to put on tee, why... cos the ball already sitting up!

you wish Wink

I get that rate also cos I am a regular and a UGA member.

As for Par 3 tee off, I don't use tee in Singapore or Malaysia either. I just treat it as a normal shot from the fairway Smile

Also, fairways are so nice that it's easy to take proper divots, and compress the ball. pocketace certainly didnt face too much grief using my TM RAC blades after he started hitting down on the ball. Remember that 5i shot? That was a beauty Smile
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:38 pm

Oh, one more thing

The Montgomerie Dubai also has the free brass pitch mark repair tool, and they also have the nice bag tag free.

Al Badia doesn't have a fancy bag tag (some plastic disc with your name written on it), and no pitch mark repair tool. I played at Emirates Golf Club once before and didn't get a bag tag or repair tool either
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:01 pm

ghoonk wrote:
Definitely!

I hear the courses in VN are excellent as well. What do they cost for a round?

pocketace will be able to share his experience of what the fairways, bunkers, greens and rough is like

Green fees in VN cost average USD$100 per round. This include caddy fees as it is compulsory to have caddy when you play. However, somdays can be as low as USD$40 per round as it is either a promo rate for a particular weekday or members sing you in as guest.

Recently played Sea Links golf club located about 4 hours ride up north from HCMC. Beautiful but tough course. Links style. Fairways Frim, greens fast. Check out a simple FR i wrote.

http://www.golfrepublic.org/overseas-games-f6/my-golfing-adventures-in-vietnam-t3573.htm

Others I have played in are equally good. Only have managed to play a total of 5 courses as I have just only started golf about 5 months ago.

Generally the newer clubs and those located nearer cities are generally more well kept. Waiting for another course to open in Central Vietnam hopefully in April so can also have chance to play 2 courses there. Montgomerie Links. and the new one is a Jack Nicklaus designed course...
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:07 pm

USD100 is a steal compared to what we pay here Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Els Club   Today at 12:08 am

Back to top Go down

Els Club
View previous topic View next topic Back to top