Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?   Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Pro's,

What is the function of a right hand when we want to shape a shot? I have heard that the right hand needed to guide the swing process and help to either close the club for a proper follow thru or open it for a slice. Is this a correct understanding?

Last edited by Khorkar on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
m0i
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?   Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:22 pm

Wat i knw is left hand is the guide and right hand use to close the face almost upon impact. I not good player and maybe i wrong.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?   Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:40 pm

I always thought (like KK) that right hand is to guide. Left hand was meant to ensure follow-through and perhaps power.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
m0i
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?   Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:13 pm

My view - As for power, both my left and right is 50/50. Right hand play impt part during impact and left hand must cont to follow thru.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?   Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:33 pm

Wow...

I just had a student ask me when I hinge my wrists on the backswing, do I hinge with right or left wrist....

I looked at him like a stunned mullet...

With all due respect and all the love in my heart to the forum community.... you think too much... lol!

To try and answer, yes the right hand will help shape shots, but you must be coming from the right swing path as well...

It is no use trying to play a draw and having an over the top path, then releasing the right hand.. all you have is a pull shot that will go further left... with topspin.... disaster!!

If you can get the clubhead to travel along the target line at impact, then yes holding open or releasing will shape shot, but inside out, or outside in path with release or holding open will not help much... unless of course that is what you are trying to achieve.

Sorry if that not as helpful as you wanted...
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Jliang
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?   Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:53 pm

Hmm recently, I felt that my right hand is getting too active in my swing..resulting in shots what shorthitter described above.. pulling with a lot of hook spin..

Trying to "deactivate" the right handnow but trying to do 3/4 swings without turning over. just let my left hand lead into impact..

what I have read.. it might be wrong.. is that a good swing.. shldn't be too handsy/wristy.. with proper coil and pivot.. the hands should cock and release naturally without thinking about it too much during the swing..

just my two cents worth..
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:11 am

As shorthitter was saying. you can't hit a draw if you come over the top.
Understanding The Ball Flight Laws below should clear up any misconceptions
These are laws that are set in stone just like laws of physics....what goes up must come down. You can learn alot about your swing by understanding these laws

Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:30 am

Awesome Paul, thats the pic I wanted to post... (if I was computer literate) Very Happy

When you try to explain that there are only 9 possible flights the ball can take, people think your crazy, but there it is......
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:31 am

The pic shows the "traditional" ball flight laws.

New research from trackman data (See TrackMan newsletter; Jan and July) inidicate that the shots Horizontal launch angle or direction is 85% determined by face angle and only 15% determined by club path, which contradicts the "old" ball flight laws.

I think it's a very interesting and enlightening article (ok, I'm an engineer so I get thrilled by numbers and that are backed by actual data). but might be a little too much mumbo jumbo for others... Laughing

Summary quote:
"In short, aim left when hitting down on the ball and aim right when hitting up upon the ball. And remember when I say 'aim left' I mean the swing plane, the face angle should always be aligned towards the target line"

Of course, I'm not a "golf guru" and just want to share the trackman newsletter with the forumers.. cheers.. Swing
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?   Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:42 am

Thanks squirrel. I will have a read of the article. I totally agree that majority is club face, not path, just didnt have an exact %. It is a great piece of info I will use in my teaching.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?   Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:09 pm

Hello Pro's.

Pull this thread from the dead. The assumption here is that the player is a right hander.

- What is the correlation between Casting and the motion of the right hand during a back swing?

- Can a more active right hand during cause a ball to slice, when club path is inside out?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?   Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:36 pm

My left hand is my control hand whilst my right hand is my speed hand ... Laughing
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?   Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:50 pm

left hand holding my precious ball, right hand holding my shaft.......................that how i hold before i tee off Very Happy

Now problem is when i make an effort to turn over my right hand, i can get a lot of power, with a boring flight But i have a tendency to pull or even hook the shot (the ball will still travel further front than my 'normal' hit while traveling at a 30 degrees angle to the left). Once in a while i will hit the ball down from the tee (at the range, the ball will hit the metal platform)

If i hit a 'normal' shot, i will tend to cut or slice the shot, with the ball traveling high and right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?   Today at 1:50 pm

Back to top Go down

Question abt Right hand for the Right Handed Golfers?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1