Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 how to hit lower and longer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Salty Dog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 187
Join date : 2009-08-05

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:22 pm

RSC,

Thanks. May be my problem is swinging too steep. I will try to make some changes to see. Many thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 676
Join date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:35 pm

RSC,
i see that RS swing is different from traditional swing in that there is very little body movement (weight shift).
pardon me if i am wrong, my limited exp with RSS is with Lip Ooi and i am not sure if he is a 100% RSS practitioner.

with limited weight shift do you think RSS would limit the potential distance for Asians as we are not as strong?
Back to top Go down
RegiT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 77
Join date : 2009-10-17

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:11 pm

I am Asian and not big or strong and my experience is I actually hit longer now after changing to RSS. At first it felt not so powerful but once I minimmised my body moving, my arms and club increased in speed and distance increased. The ball also more centre hit and lower ball flight which makes ball go further. I have seen many young asian Rss'ers and they hit it damn long and solid. Just took time to convince myself to not need so much movement.
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 676
Join date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:22 pm

not to sound in any way offensive or insinuate anything but can i know your 7i & 5i distance before and after RSS?
Back to top Go down
RegiT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 77
Join date : 2009-10-17

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:31 pm

my 7 i went from 130m carry to 140 and 5 i from 140m carry to 160. I noticed my longer clubs increased the most. Before my clubs all go aboout same distance as my impact was not corrrect. My swing waaa steep and wrists break down at impact
Back to top Go down
JL_chong
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 271
Join date : 2009-10-08
Location : NE

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:58 pm

eiji wrote:
ghoonk wrote:
Or both.

i am more of the opinion that the swing is the bigger factor in balloon ball flight as oppose to shaft. it does make a difference but the swing is the bigger contributing factor. if i my swing is good, no matter which shaft, the ball flight will still be penetrating on the 7iron as oppose to a more wedge type of ball flight.
U talking about me huh?.... sob sob...

Yah, the idea is really to hit "down" on the ball, to compress the ball against the ground fro it to launch... Talk like machiam very easy, its damn hard man... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:01 pm

I agree. Learning to hit down to get the ball to go up seems to go against common sense, but it works. It also hurts when you do it wrong, ask me how I know Sad
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 6193
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 35
Location : Training

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:02 pm

JL_chong wrote:
eiji wrote:
ghoonk wrote:
Or both.

i am more of the opinion that the swing is the bigger factor in balloon ball flight as oppose to shaft. it does make a difference but the swing is the bigger contributing factor. if i my swing is good, no matter which shaft, the ball flight will still be penetrating on the 7iron as oppose to a more wedge type of ball flight.
U talking about me huh?.... sob sob...

Yah, the idea is really to hit "down" on the ball, to compress the ball against the ground fro it to launch... Talk like machiam very easy, its damn hard man... Crying or Very sad

i also the same, thats why had to change my swing or rather improve my swing.

anyway u so free now go read my thread "For JL_Chong"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
JL_chong
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 271
Join date : 2009-10-08
Location : NE

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:07 pm

eiji wrote:
JL_chong wrote:
eiji wrote:
ghoonk wrote:
Or both.

i am more of the opinion that the swing is the bigger factor in balloon ball flight as oppose to shaft. it does make a difference but the swing is the bigger contributing factor. if i my swing is good, no matter which shaft, the ball flight will still be penetrating on the 7iron as oppose to a more wedge type of ball flight.
U talking about me huh?.... sob sob...

Yah, the idea is really to hit "down" on the ball, to compress the ball against the ground fro it to launch... Talk like machiam very easy, its damn hard man... Crying or Very sad

i also the same, thats why had to change my swing or rather improve my swing.

anyway u so free now go read my thread "For JL_Chong"
wah, u create a thread for me ah? So power ah?... okok i go take alook now... where huh?Embarassed
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 6193
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 35
Location : Training

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:14 pm


_________________
Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 10.5* Ahina 60 R
PRGR EGG Spoon 15* MRC Fubuki Alpha 70S
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 19* MRC Fubuki AH R
Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1255
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 99
Location : Teban Garden

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:24 pm

Come on, it's about consistently hitting the ball on the sweet spot with the effective loft of the club. RSS has the advantage of minimize body movement = minimize error but hitting longer? I don't know about that. I don't see the long drive champion using the RSS.
Firstly ask yourself whether you want to be a long drive golfer or a normal golfer? If you want to be a long drive golfer, forget all the iron, wedge and putter etc, they only use driver. If you want to be the later, you shall just check around for a swing that suit you. Basketball
Back to top Go down
Salty Dog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 187
Join date : 2009-08-05

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:39 pm

JC,

Where did you get all these nice pictures on your avatar? Share the link lay. Smile

I think you are right. When i look at the long drive champion, their head has moved so much backward during their upswing and when downswing, the move is explosive.

IMHO, there are 2 types of golfers: (1) long drive golfer - they swing and move every ounce of muscle to drive it long. They also get to try 3 times on the long drive championship doing it. (2) golf course golfer - limit the movement with minimized body movement. Swing not far, but accuracy is the key. Of course, you only get one chance on the golf course for each shot.

Which one you want to be is your choice. Smile
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 856
Join date : 2009-06-24

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:27 pm

eden wrote:
RSC,
i see that RS swing is different from traditional swing in that there is very little body movement (weight shift).
pardon me if i am wrong, my limited exp with RSS is with Lip Ooi and i am not sure if he is a 100% RSS practitioner.

with limited weight shift do you think RSS would limit the potential distance for Asians as we are not as strong?

Hi eden
Lip Ooi did teach the RSS years and years ago at OCC and has some knowledge of the swing. I dont know what he is currently teaching however he is not a qualified Gary Edwin instructor.

As for limiting potential distance for Asian players, I would disagree with that. I find the opposite to be true. There is weight shift but it is not lateral. Most of my students say they hit it further but more importantly, the diff from their max and minimum shots are not too far apart. I admit you will not get the freak bomb drive that comes once a round when everything comes together, but if you average out 10 drives, i think you will be longer on average and in the fairway more often. It makes no sense to hit a 7 iron 150m, then the next, 160m, and then 140m. I would prefer to hit them all 140m. The 160m one is over the green in the bunker or hazard....that aint good right?

Golf is not a game of distance, it is a game where u need to achieve the lowest score possible. If you just want distance, they have the long drive championship and those guys swing out of their shoes. You get 3 balls and if you miss the grid, just hit the next one. The game of golf you only get one ball and one chance.
Control is what the RSS is designed for.....winning golf tournaments and your kakis money.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:31 pm

Golf is a game of consistency, knowing one's limits, and knowing when to take chances.

RSC is right , i would rather hit my 7i 150m consistently than to wonder if my next shot will go 175m or 130m, cos that would mean missing the green Razz
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3798
Join date : 2009-10-09
Age : 51
Location : Wherever my feet take me....

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:35 pm

If I can hit my 7i 150m, I'd be grinning from ear to ear lor.....

Me only 5ft tall.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:38 pm

ya, but you yan dao, so you got the advantage of making a 130m shot still look damn good.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 824
Join date : 2009-11-23
Age : 34
Location : Thank You But Our Princess Is In Another Castle

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:38 pm

Birdman wrote:
Me only 5ft tall.

No you're not! Suspect
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 856
Join date : 2009-06-24

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:46 pm

Watching people practice on the range, I see many get excited when they hit a good shot that goes 20 m longer than their average. They think that is good......to me that is over the green and in the hazard. If the flag is 150m and you hit it 170m, yes it may be a good shot on the range but on the course, it is gonna end up over the green.
Practice hitting 9i, 7i, 5i to the 100m target and learn how to control your trajectory and distance. Thats what you will need to do during a round when you are playing in wind, off slopes and different lies, in between clubs.
I very rarely hit a full shot off a flat lie during a round but for most, that is all they are practicing when at the range.
For my more advanced students, we work alot on hitting fades, draws, high, low, 1/2 an 3/4 shots. We try to get away from the straight, 100% full swing mentality. It definitely pays off on the course!
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional


Posts : 620
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 28
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:51 pm

there's a reason why woods saw harmon those years back. He admitted that he could not control the spin and distance of his clubs as he was shut and across the line going back and he had to re route the club to square it at impact. The more repeatable your swing is and the more consistent the strike of the golf ball is the more accurate and precise your distances would be. The thing is, how many times you need to smash one and how many times does the situation allow you to? doesn't matter if u hit 5 and someone else hits 7 for as long as you hit close.


Last edited by jhan18 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:52 pm

sigh. that's why you guys are coaches, and I'm still the resident gravedigger.

But good tips -- focus on being consistent at the range, not going for distance all the time...
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 856
Join date : 2009-06-24

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:55 pm

jhan18 wrote:
there's a reason why woods saw harmon those years back. He admitted that he could not control the spin and distance of his clubs as he was shut and across the line going back and he had to re route the club to square it at impact. The more repeatable and consistent the strike of the golf ball, the more accurate and precise your distances would be. The thing is, how many times you need to smash one and how many times does the situation allow you to? doesn't matter if u hit 5 and someone else hits 7 for as long as you hit close.

Wise words Justin. It is "how many", not "how".
There is no where on the score card where you have to write down what club you used on a particular hole or how far your drive went. There is just a box where you write the score you had on that hole. End of the round, you add it up and write the total. Lowest total wins, not the longest driver!
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional


Posts : 620
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 28
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:00 am

Right_sided_coach wrote:
jhan18 wrote:
there's a reason why woods saw harmon those years back. He admitted that he could not control the spin and distance of his clubs as he was shut and across the line going back and he had to re route the club to square it at impact. The more repeatable and consistent the strike of the golf ball, the more accurate and precise your distances would be. The thing is, how many times you need to smash one and how many times does the situation allow you to? doesn't matter if u hit 5 and someone else hits 7 for as long as you hit close.

Wise words Justin. It is "how many", not "how".
There is no where on the score card where you have to write down what club you used on a particular hole or how far your drive went. There is just a box where you write the score you had on that hole. End of the round, you add it up and write the total. Lowest total wins, not the longest driver!

thanks mate! well it's our job to help and teach people what works and why.
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 676
Join date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:01 am

i totally agree that being consistent and knowing one's distance with each club is the way to play golf else how does one even plan each & every shot.

no doubt by limiting movement, retaining angles there are many positives and that include better contact; which should increase distance for someone that may be hitting it hit, fat, on the toe or heel.

i was merely asking about distance as the post was "how to hit it lower and longer".

on another topic..i am reading "The Stack & Tilt Swing" now..how would you compare RSS to S&T?
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 824
Join date : 2009-11-23
Age : 34
Location : Thank You But Our Princess Is In Another Castle

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:04 am

S&T looks painful Embarassed
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:05 am

My logic is simple. If the pros of decades past were able to shoot pars from the blue tees we play off today using whatever equipment and whatever swings they had then, and many golfers were not full-time playing professionals, without the benefit of the kinds of coaches and training aids we have today, the fact that we cannot play better than we do lies elsewhere

For me, it's in my swing and my temperament. This is why I believe I can play MUCH better than I do now, if only i put my heart and mind to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: how to hit lower and longer?   Today at 5:44 am

Back to top Go down
 
how to hit lower and longer?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» how to hit lower and longer?
» Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?
» Fitting longer studs to your VFR hub to take a car wheel
» S14 Lower Arm on S13 Camber?
» Write-Up: Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) Gaskets

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.