Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 491
Join date : 2009-08-07
Location : @ the changing room!!! Shitting...

PostSubject: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi guys, wanna check with all e helpful souls out there as where to get my swing speed measured?

Me jus been playin for slightly more than a year and would like to get it measured and as well as other stats like spin rate and trajectory and such...

Any kind souls out there know where to get it done and cost as well? Oh and e duration for one of these session..

Thanks guys....Cheers
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Try Big Fish Golf. His nick on the forum is DGman.
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 491
Join date : 2009-08-07
Location : @ the changing room!!! Shitting...

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:55 pm

Cool thanks... Will check with DGman on e details then...

Jus one more question... Izzit too early for me to get my swing speed measured?
Should I wait for another year or so?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:58 pm

I think as long as your swing is consistent, there's no harm in having it measured. If you're still a little shaky with your swing then it may make sense to get this looked at before considering any swing measurements.

Also, what would you like to achieve from these measurements? Do you want to know if your clubs are too stiff/whippy for you? Do you want to know if you're swinging well?

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 491
Join date : 2009-08-07
Location : @ the changing room!!! Shitting...

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I think as long as your swing is consistent, there's no harm in having it measured. If you're still a little shaky with your swing then it may make sense to get this looked at before considering any swing measurements.

Also, what would you like to achieve from these measurements? Do you want to know if your clubs are too stiff/whippy for you? Do you want to know if you're swinging well?

Well i still feel a little 'shaky' with my current swing... Embarassed

As you mentioned, the purpose of the measurements are mainly to see if my current tools is suitable and as well as my swing tempo....

Or maybe i need to get stronger... Hmmm?

Any suggestions...? Shocked
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 824
Join date : 2009-11-23
Age : 34
Location : Thank You But Our Princess Is In Another Castle

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:13 pm

I think as long as you're considering "Game Enhancement" golf equipment as supposed to "Game Improvement", you should get fitted and/or know how your ball is flying as opposed to just where its flying.

According to Mizuno irons, Game Enhancement = MP-68, Game Improvement = MX-300, just in case you were wondering what the difference between those two "categories" were.

Am still drooling over them MP-68s, but don't think I can handle them yet Embarassed
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 491
Join date : 2009-08-07
Location : @ the changing room!!! Shitting...

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:24 pm

chemicalpro wrote:
I think as long as you're considering "Game Enhancement" golf equipment as supposed to "Game Improvement", you should get fitted and/or know how your ball is flying as opposed to just where its flying.

According to Mizuno irons, Game Enhancement = MP-68, Game Improvement = MX-300, just in case you were wondering what the difference between those two "categories" were.

Am still drooling over them MP-68s, but don't think I can handle them yet Embarassed

Well i've been asked if i am able to handle my current set of irons... Embarassed

It's the Bridgestone pro 640m irons with DG R400 shaft. Can't find the specs for it though as it's a really old set of clubs liao.. No

Till now i still have no reference to my swing speed, tempo and equipment suitability... Haiz...
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:33 pm

personally, i would use a launch monitor facility to measure my yardages with each club and my level of dispersion and ball flight characteristics. Copy down the data, move it to a spreadsheet, and get 'measured' every 6 months to see if you are improving where yardage and control are concerned, and it shows you where you have gaps between your clubs, and more importantly to know exactly how far you hit with each club.

If you can input that into your yardage book, getting on course with a course GPS or laser rangefinder will help you with course management.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 824
Join date : 2009-11-23
Age : 34
Location : Thank You But Our Princess Is In Another Castle

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Old school! Smile

Well if you're hitting your irons pretty alright I guess you can handle them.

As for the stats and figures you seek, these can be secondary if you're satisfied with your progress.

One year plus into golf? What are your targets and goals for golf this year? Could factor that for if you should get these stats analysed.
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 491
Join date : 2009-08-07
Location : @ the changing room!!! Shitting...

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:42 pm

ghoonk wrote:
personally, i would use a launch monitor facility to measure my yardages with each club and my level of dispersion and ball flight characteristics. Copy down the data, move it to a spreadsheet, and get 'measured' every 6 months to see if you are improving where yardage and control are concerned, and it shows you where you have gaps between your clubs, and more importantly to know exactly how far you hit with each club.

If you can input that into your yardage book, getting on course with a course GPS or laser rangefinder will help you with course management.

Well my yardages are quite evenly spread among my irons but having a rather high trajectory...

But my 3wood and driver are pretty close though...

Launch Monitor... Sounds nice.. Any suggestion as to where?
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:44 pm

I know BFG got one. I also have one of my own here in Dubai, but nowhere close to what DGman has in his shop. Mine costs 10x less than his, literally Razz
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 491
Join date : 2009-08-07
Location : @ the changing room!!! Shitting...

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:46 pm

chemicalpro wrote:
Old school! Smile

Well if you're hitting your irons pretty alright I guess you can handle them.

As for the stats and figures you seek, these can be secondary if you're satisfied with your progress.

One year plus into golf? What are your targets and goals for golf this year? Could factor that for if you should get these stats analysed.

Well my goals in golf is pretty simple though... It's jus all about winning..!
Hahaha..

Primary target is my mentor... Followed by my mentor's mentor and so on...

All the stats is jus to check my progress to see if i am moving in the right track... Cos if require any overhauling of swing gotta do it soon...!
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 491
Join date : 2009-08-07
Location : @ the changing room!!! Shitting...

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:48 pm

ghoonk wrote:
I know BFG got one. I also have one of my own here in Dubai, but nowhere close to what DGman has in his shop. Mine costs 10x less than his, literally Razz

Well yours seem a little off the map for me... Hahaha.. Very Happy

All the signs are pointing towards BFG...! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 824
Join date : 2009-11-23
Age : 34
Location : Thank You But Our Princess Is In Another Castle

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:50 pm

"If you ain't first, you're last!" - Ricky Bobby.

That's the spirit! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 491
Join date : 2009-08-07
Location : @ the changing room!!! Shitting...

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:52 pm

chemicalpro wrote:
"If you ain't first, you're last!" - Ricky Bobby.

That's the spirit! Very Happy

Jus one problem though... I am not quite there yet...! Mad

Only beating my mentor whenever there's a eclipse.. Damn... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 6384
Join date : 2009-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:54 pm

robert33 wrote:
chemicalpro wrote:
Old school! Smile

Well if you're hitting your irons pretty alright I guess you can handle them.

As for the stats and figures you seek, these can be secondary if you're satisfied with your progress.

One year plus into golf? What are your targets and goals for golf this year? Could factor that for if you should get these stats analysed.

Well my goals in golf is pretty simple though... It's jus all about winning..!
Hahaha..

Primary target is my mentor... Followed by my mentor's mentor and so on...

All the stats is jus to check my progress to see if i am moving in the right track... Cos if require any overhauling of swing gotta do it soon...!

i just hope your mentor is not a friend who started golf 6 months before you. also your horizon should be broaden..how would your game be 5, 10 or 15 years from now.

i believe you are not looking for stats but a validation of your swing tehnique. this is best done by pros like Paul Tudor (RSS), Allen Kelly (Shorthitter), Tendy Tsai or Justin Han (JHan).

cheers...DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:56 pm

And that, my friend, is why I am investing time on this very VERY short CNY visit to SG to see shorthitter -- i need someone to tell me why I am not shooting lower scores
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 491
Join date : 2009-08-07
Location : @ the changing room!!! Shitting...

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:04 pm

DGman wrote:
robert33 wrote:
chemicalpro wrote:
Old school! Smile

Well if you're hitting your irons pretty alright I guess you can handle them.

As for the stats and figures you seek, these can be secondary if you're satisfied with your progress.

One year plus into golf? What are your targets and goals for golf this year? Could factor that for if you should get these stats analysed.

Well my goals in golf is pretty simple though... It's jus all about winning..!
Hahaha..

Primary target is my mentor... Followed by my mentor's mentor and so on...

All the stats is jus to check my progress to see if i am moving in the right track... Cos if require any overhauling of swing gotta do it soon...!

i just hope your mentor is not a friend who started golf 6 months before you. also your horizon should be broaden..how would your game be 5, 10 or 15 years from now.

i believe you are not looking for stats but a validation of your swing tehnique. this is best done by pros like Paul Tudor (RSS), Allen Kelly (Shorthitter), Tendy Tsai or Justin Han (JHan).

cheers...DGman

Hi DGman...

Well my mentor started his game about 1 yr earlier... Very Happy

As for the years to come... I seriously hope to improve but to wat level...?
Hmmm... Don't think will beat everyone in the world... Jus hope to thump my little group of kaki will do.... Hahaha

As for swing technique... Not really.. Cos diff instructor got diff school of thought... Jus need a neutral device to register my current stats and see wat to work on.. Eg technique or equipment... Cool

Cheers...
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 491
Join date : 2009-08-07
Location : @ the changing room!!! Shitting...

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:08 pm

ghoonk wrote:
And that, my friend, is why I am investing time on this very VERY short CNY visit to SG to see shorthitter -- i need someone to tell me why I am not shooting lower scores

Cool..

Well at the moment i am seeing no one..

Except my kaki/mentor and of course my wife...

Hmmm... seems like another cross road for me again... pale
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 6384
Join date : 2009-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi Robert33,

thank you for your response.

i think the stats will mean nothing cos at the end of the day, you got to go back to technique and training...in this case proper technique

if you see some of the older golfers who have the most awful swing, your heart will ache for them. some of these golfers will in their entire live not break 100, let alone 90.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:13 pm

That said, I have seen golfers here with the weirdest swings who shoot in the mid-high 80s, but they are over 50 years old and have probably played the game half their lives. Their secret is in their short game. I kill them with my driver and long irons, but they massacre me with their scoring from 140 yds in, and never take more than 2 putts to end a hole.
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 491
Join date : 2009-08-07
Location : @ the changing room!!! Shitting...

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:15 am

DGman wrote:
Hi Robert33,

thank you for your response.

i think the stats will mean nothing cos at the end of the day, you got to go back to technique and training...in this case proper technique

if you see some of the older golfers who have the most awful swing, your heart will ache for them. some of these golfers will in their entire live not break 100, let alone 90.

DGman

Hi there DGman,

I agree with you completely that at e end of the day e stats will mean nothing...

To me personally I feel that golf is 50% mental 40% physical and 10% luck...

Stats is jus a reference point to my journey in golf...

And I am amazed by ppl that plays with a unique swing... And I seen some that are really good! But there are those that also struggles in consistency...

Thanks for e advice DGman! Cheers
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 491
Join date : 2009-08-07
Location : @ the changing room!!! Shitting...

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:20 am

ghoonk wrote:
That said, I have seen golfers here with the weirdest swings who shoot in the mid-high 80s, but they are over 50 years old and have probably played the game half their lives. Their secret is in their short game. I kill them with my driver and long irons, but they massacre me with their scoring from 140 yds in, and never take more than 2 putts to end a hole.

well that's golf...! Hahaha

there are ppl out there playing with a simple strategy which is to put e ball in e hole with e most comfortable swing and least strokes possible...

Even for pro there are so many diff swing styles...

And I like Ryan moore swing... Unique!
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2916
Join date : 2009-11-24
Age : 37
Location : Anywhere Comfortable

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:48 am

Hi Robert33,

I believe what DGman trying to say is, maybe it is not so much about how to get your swing stats measured... it is more about what you make out of those measurements and with those measurements, what is your objective to improve on them?

For example... you mentioned your objective is to beat your mentor... nothing wrong but I think DGman is digging into something deeper. Before you make a trip down to BFG, my suggestion for you to make it a much more fruitful trip (rather than just data collection) is:
- Breakdown your own comments about your Driver, long irons, short irons, wedges
- Be ready to tell him what your usual problems are (i.e. you are constantly slicing the ball or constantly topping the ball or thinning the ball etc etc)
- Ask yourself what do you want to achieve during the session (i.e. Drive the ball further, lower ball flight for your irons, etc)
- Last but not least.. go with an open mind about what he will tell you (expect him to tell you straight in the face that you need to work on your swing before taking measurements if he needs to)

But if your objective is just so that you can take some measurements as 'reference' (which I am not sure if the numbers mean anything to you in the first place)... then I think you would probably not gain anything from the session (but I am sure DGman will still allow you to drop by to take them anyway... lol!)

And in case you are wondering... of cos I am no expert or anything... been playing for only 3 years and I still cannot make anything out of the numbers on the monitor. But I feel my job is not to track the numbers... but to get a consistent swing that I can replicate everytime... when I can do that... the swing speed will gradually increase over time...

Hope my comments help... and I wish you can beat your mentor soon!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 6384
Join date : 2009-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:07 am

Hi Robert 33...

i learn that in golf, fundamental is very important.

A good swing is one that is repeatable and the results predictable. nobody will judge how beautiful the swing. but a good swing is usually smooth, well timed and consistent.

there is always an element of luck in golf but Gary Player once said, the harder you train, the luckier you get. by this he mean proper training..haha otherwise we may end up perfecting an imperfect swing.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?   Today at 10:45 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Where to measure my swing speed and other stats...?
» Shaft questions - CPM vs Swing speed
» To drive 220-230 meter (Carry) what should be my swing speed?
» Where can I test my swing speed?
» speed radar for swing speed?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Ask The Pro-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.