Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Advice on effective gripping techniques?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TSL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 68
Join date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:06 am

Wonder if it may be possible to seek advice on the types of gripping techniques? Been doing swing drills everyday, and I'm getting new blisters each day. Or perhaps I'm gripping it too hard, but how much strength is appropriate?

(Someone flung his driver out onto the driving range & it went further than his ball the other day, so he probably needs to grip the club harder right?) Razz

Hope someone can help... Thanks alot! Smile
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2154
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:59 am

first q is

are u who u r in the photo...?


i grip mmy irons harder than my woods and driver, how hard?? firm enough to hole it in its place. dun worry abt your club flying off.

an if u r who u r... i am sure many r willing to show u the exact grip.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:58 am

Having blisters is not a bad thing. In fact, having blisters shows you whether or not you're gripping your club properly.

Check out this document which shows you how to grip.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1255
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 99
Location : Teban Garden

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:37 am

TSL, griping strength is always a big question mark as to how strong is strong, how weak is weak? There isn't a grip meter to determine it so one really have to guess it or experience it scratch

I find DG_man explanation of grip pressure very useful - Grip the club at max power and then release all and re-grip again at 50% of the max. You may want to try it out next time.

In general, beginner grip harder, experience golfer grip softer. Let me explain why,

Beginner - Due to lack of good ball striking, ball impact zone will be more on either top, duff, toe or heel, this created a force(Don't ask me what force, I am not a scientist) that twist the club head. Hence beginners feel that they need to grip harder to counter it.

Experience Golfer - Their ball striking is better and their error of off center hit is not much and that kind of force to twist the club head is also very small. As such, they grip the club as soft as possible. I heard that in this way they can feel the club better. But why they want to feel the club? I don't know either. Wait until I become one then I will tell you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:09 am

Any advice for someone who grip harder with left hand and softer with right hand???
Back to top Go down
chinchiachun
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 649
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:46 am

Hi TSL, you may want to try this. You grip the club as normal and get Mr. Rotorhead to hold on to the clubhead end. Then you lean back. The grip pressure that allows you to hold on to your weight without any tension on your forearms will be the right grip pressure.
Back to top Go down
TSL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 68
Join date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:49 am

jimmychoo wrote:


I find DG_man explanation of grip pressure very useful - Grip the club at max power and then release all and re-grip again at 50% of the max. You may want to try it out next time.

In general, beginner grip harder, experience golfer grip softer. Let me explain why,

Beginner - Due to lack of good ball striking, ball impact zone will be more on either top, duff, toe or heel, this created a force(Don't ask me what force, I am not a scientist) that twist the club head. Hence beginners feel that they need to grip harder to counter it.

Experience Golfer - Their ball striking is better and their error of off center hit is not much and that kind of force to twist the club head is also very small. As such, they grip the club as soft as possible. I heard that in this way they can feel the club better. But why they want to feel the club? I don't know either. Wait until I become one then I will tell you Very Happy

Thanks jimmychoo,

Appreciate your help. May I ask if the gripping of the club at max power is during the backswing, release all during downswing and re-grip at 50% of the max during follow-through after impact? Sorry... beginner here need to understand more of the golf language. Hehe. Very Happy

By the way, I've got this feeling you're an experienced golfer already, either you're really humble, or the new poll results are revealing the truth? Razz
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1005
Join date : 2009-06-26
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:51 am

That will also depend where TSL is standing lah bro.. if she is standing back facing the driving range and at the edge of the 2nd level, TSL confirm grip hard hard one lah.. hahahha... knowing that rotorhead is the Kuai Lan type.
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1005
Join date : 2009-06-26
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:55 am

TSL wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:


I find DG_man explanation of grip pressure very useful - Grip the club at max power and then release all and re-grip again at 50% of the max. You may want to try it out next time.

In general, beginner grip harder, experience golfer grip softer. Let me explain why,

Beginner - Due to lack of good ball striking, ball impact zone will be more on either top, duff, toe or heel, this created a force(Don't ask me what force, I am not a scientist) that twist the club head. Hence beginners feel that they need to grip harder to counter it.

Experience Golfer - Their ball striking is better and their error of off center hit is not much and that kind of force to twist the club head is also very small. As such, they grip the club as soft as possible. I heard that in this way they can feel the club better. But why they want to feel the club? I don't know either. Wait until I become one then I will tell you Very Happy

Thanks jimmychoo,

Appreciate your help. May I ask if the gripping of the club at max power is during the backswing, release all during downswing and re-grip at 50% of the max during follow-through after impact? Sorry... beginner here need to understand more of the golf language. Hehe. Very Happy

By the way, I've got this feeling you're an experienced golfer already, either you're really humble, or the new poll results are revealing the truth? Razz


The true fact is he is the ROYAL BUYANESS.... if his is a beginner, how come all his driver's loft is 8.5 deg or below... that only explain one thing. Perfect ball striking.
Back to top Go down
TSL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 68
Join date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:58 am

chinchiachun wrote:
Hi TSL, you may want to try this. You grip the club as normal and get Mr. Rotorhead to hold on to the clubhead end. Then you lean back. The grip pressure that allows you to hold on to your weight without any tension on your forearms will be the right grip pressure.

Hi CCC,

Great to see you on the forum again. Smile Thanks, will ask S70B to do that after his golf game later. He should be enjoying his golf today, too bad for the extra watering of the greens by the rain...

Meanwhile, hope to see you at the range again sometime & enjoy your day ahead! Smile
Back to top Go down
TSL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 68
Join date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:04 am

shotah wrote:
That will also depend where TSL is standing lah bro.. if she is standing back facing the driving range and at the edge of the 2nd level, TSL confirm grip hard hard one lah.. hahahha... knowing that rotorhead is the Kuai Lan type.

Hi shotah,

You've got a point... If you dun see me online tmw... ROFL
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1255
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 99
Location : Teban Garden

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:16 am

TSL wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:
I find DG_man explanation of grip pressure very useful - Grip the club at max power and then release all and re-grip again at 50% of the max. You may want to try it out next time.
Thanks jimmychoo,
Appreciate your help. May I ask if the gripping of the club at max power is during the backswing, release all during downswing and re-grip at 50% of the max during follow-through after impact? Sorry... beginner here need to understand more of the golf language. Hehe. Very Happy
By the way, I've got this feeling you're an experienced golfer already, either you're really humble, or the new poll results are revealing the truth? Razz
Sorry to confuse you, my england is very good at making people confused Razz The grip pressure shall be the same through out the whole swing process. Any re-grip during the process is wrong. When I mentioned of DG_man method, I mean it to feel the correct pressure of grip you need before the swing initial.

Don't get cheated by your own feeling. I am not a humble guy nor am I trying to be a hmmm...B#%y@. I am still in the process of studying to play better golf. To golf, I can only consider myself as a primary school student. geek
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1368
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:24 am

TSL, how come rotorhead dun help you? Or is it true that spouses or bf/gf should not give golf advise to maintain the harmony? Smile

I've read all sorts of nonsense from books, like grip it like you are holding a baby bird (Sam Snead??) who the heck has held a brid in their hands recently? (Ok, boys, get your minds out of the gutter)...
Some say hold it like your holding a tube of toothpaste without squeezing out the toothpaste.

Actually I think that maybe a slightly stronger/harder grip might be necessary. When I was in ChiangMai, the Thai pro had us do the drill like CCC said, hold the club and lean back, but then also the pro twisted the club, the club head should not twist easily. He said that if it twists easily it means that during contact with ball, any off center hits will cause the clubhead to twist and cause off direction hits. I think if you hold the grip more in the fingers, it would also be more stable.

I was reading a Japanese golf magazine long time back and they had pictures showing the calluses on the golf pro's hands! (I guess they must have started with a lot of blisters too!) Shocked
Back to top Go down
TSL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 68
Join date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:51 am

jimmychoo wrote:
TSL wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:
I find DG_man explanation of grip pressure very useful - Grip the club at max power and then release all and re-grip again at 50% of the max. You may want to try it out next time.
Thanks jimmychoo,
Appreciate your help. May I ask if the gripping of the club at max power is during the backswing, release all during downswing and re-grip at 50% of the max during follow-through after impact? Sorry... beginner here need to understand more of the golf language. Hehe. Very Happy
By the way, I've got this feeling you're an experienced golfer already, either you're really humble, or the new poll results are revealing the truth? Razz
Sorry to confuse you, my england is very good at making people confused Razz The grip pressure shall be the same through out the whole swing process. Any re-grip during the process is wrong. When I mentioned of DG_man method, I mean it to feel the correct pressure of grip you need before the swing initial.

Don't get cheated by your own feeling. I am not a humble guy nor am I trying to be a hmmm...B#%y@. I am still in the process of studying to play better golf. To golf, I can only consider myself as a primary school student. geek

Hi jimmychoo,

I understand what you mean now... Hehe. Thanks for clarifying & please accept my apologies, it's not your england that confused me, I guess it's just that I want to improve and I really think too much. I need to be more patient about it. Haha. Laughing

And if you are a primary school student with regards to golf... silent
Back to top Go down
TSL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 68
Join date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:04 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
TSL, how come rotorhead dun help you? Or is it true that spouses or bf/gf should not give golf advise to maintain the harmony? Smile

Hi Ss, S70B is a great golfer, just that I wish to maintain the harmony as you mentioned and let him enjoy his game. Actually its best for me to sort it out without "tormenting" him with all my questions, etc. lol!

Ssquirrel wrote:

Actually I think that maybe a slightly stronger/harder grip might be necessary. When I was in ChiangMai, the Thai pro had us do the drill like CCC said, hold the club and lean back, but then also the pro twisted the club, the club head should not twist easily. He said that if it twists easily it means that during contact with ball, any off center hits will cause the clubhead to twist and cause off direction hits. I think if you hold the grip more in the fingers, it would also be more stable.

I was reading a Japanese golf magazine long time back and they had pictures showing the calluses on the golf pro's hands! (I guess they must have started with a lot of blisters too!) Shocked

Sounds very logical, will try CCC's suggestion later when rotorhead returns to homeground. Hehe. flower Thanks alot!
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 3295
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 42
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:23 pm

You know, I was just reading this thread when I heard, 'Gorgeous Lass you have there!!' I turned around and it was my Ang Mo boss behind me!!!! I was wondering how the hell could he saw that as words basically take up most of this page???

I then explained that this is a forum for golfers. He then gave me this funny look. Either he was trying hard to believe its purely a golfers forum, or he was disappointed that its not Swingers SG or S$%mmyb&y.

Watever it is, my heart just froze when i heard his voice. Now must minimise screen as much as possible to read forum
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1121
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:28 pm

just a side note, for me i notice at the driving range i tend to grip harder in fear that my club will fly away and get crushed by the ball picker truck. The higher floor i go, the harder i grip (partly due to fear i will topple and fall over)

also found out the actual grip is important, tried a GP New Decade MultiCompound, much more 'grippier' than my standard Callaway grip on my Driver, so dont need to grip so hard. So planning to re-grip my driver soon. Also have a GP Tour Velvet on my 6 iron X-tour which feel better than the standard grip on my BB 08.
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 430
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Jurong

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:41 pm

maybe it's time for you to take a break and rest... the blister is either telling you that you are doing something wrong OR that you body and hand are tired...

most of us are not built like S70B for golf... your hands will toughen up over time, when you get more into the golf swing, juz like bedding in a new pair of leather shoe.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:51 pm

I was taught how to grip...I was scolded how not to grip...I was lectured on how to rightfully grip....

But still cant make it...because I realize my fingers are quite short and small palm....such, cannot grip macam those pro....bo pian..self-improvise......most important thing...no blister
Back to top Go down
sniffydog
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 83
Join date : 2009-06-22
Location : yck

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:37 pm

weesern wrote:
Any advice for someone who grip harder with left hand and softer with right hand???

errr, take my idea with a pinch of salt. i'm in on position to advice, just my method.
i feel the pressure exerted by ur right palm (fleshy part below the thumbstick) should be more or less same as your 3 last fingers of ur left hand on the grip. It feels uncomfy but it works for me.

wtf is wrong with ur dog's tongue? Topic OFF
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:56 pm

sniffydog wrote:
weesern wrote:
Any advice for someone who grip harder with left hand and softer with right hand???

errr, take my idea with a pinch of salt. i'm in on position to advice, just my method.
i feel the pressure exerted by ur right palm (fleshy part below the thumbstick) should be more or less same as your 3 last fingers of ur left hand on the grip. It feels uncomfy but it works for me.

wtf is wrong with ur dog's tongue? Topic OFF

Will give it a try..

anything wrong with his tongue?? I took the pic while he is resting after a walk.
Back to top Go down
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 153
Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:38 pm

David Duval, Corey Pavin, Jim Furyk, Paul Azinger, Tiger Woods et al, won inspite of their grips.

I think too many people worry unnecessarily about their grips.

What they should worry about is how to strike the ground at the same spot in relation to their upper bodies first before fussing with the grip.

I am sure all of us have seen our fair share of beginners and golfers with mechanically perfect grips at the range and the course hit the most wicked of slices... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Advice on effective gripping techniques?   Today at 12:31 am

Back to top Go down
 
Advice on effective gripping techniques?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Total Crazy Rant about Kodokan Goshin jutsu
» Advice on drifter float fishing
» Golf in Bangkok. Need advice.
» Putter Re-Gripping Service
» Head gasket installation - advice on sealants

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Ask The Pro-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.