Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Octville

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2154
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:08 am

but i only birdied.. cause u showed me the line...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:25 am

chocoman wrote:
but i only birdied.. cause u showed me the line...

I showed you what not to do Razz
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2154
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:18 am

so humble....you
Swing
Back to top Go down
MIKEPT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 83
Join date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:18 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Played with Choco, mikept and his friend (Alex) at Octville today. A quick review from me (guys, feel free to supplement, correct if needed):

Fairways (7/10)
In so-so condition. I was concerned that poor irrigation may be an issue and there were some spots (more in the rough) where there was mud etc. It may have been because the weather has been dry for a few days. No GURs, at least not that I saw any. Unfortunately, however, the fairways had quite a few unrepaired divots which can be frustrating if you happen to roll into one. In addition, there were also leaves, branches etc scattered in the fairway. I had expected these to be cleared early in the day but I was mistaken (or perhaps I was too optimistic).

Greens (7/10)
I found the greens to be erratic speed-wise, i.e. while they were indicated as fast, not all of them were. Most of the greens were also challenging to read which added to the fun. Some of the greens were also quite huge so be warned that accuracy to getting your ball as close to the pin as possible (if not in the hole) is needed otherwise a 3-putt (or worse) is not out of the question.

Bunkers (4/5)
The bunkers were in good condition and well swept. I've faced bunkers which felt like I was playing more on gravel than on sand but fortunately, this wasn't the case here. While there were quite a few greenside bunkers, I didn't spot any which were deep enough to present a huge challenge. That being said, many of these greenside bunkers were very close to the green itself so getting the ball up and down quickly is a must.

Water hazards (4/5)
The course had its fair share of water hazards but none too challenging (caveat below). The lakes were well-positioned in that there was sufficient fairway for those who opted to play safe while those who are more gung-ho can charge for the green knowing that a mishit may not be overly punishing.

The one hole which yells out water hazard is the 15th, which is also Octville's signature hole. Teeing off from an elevated tee box and situated 153m ahead lies a green which is surrounded by water. It is truly a classy sight but for those not up to the mental challenge, the hole can be very daunting. Also, pinpoint accuracy is required to get the ball on the green and if you are able to achieve that, a birdie or a par are not out of the question. (Congrats to Choco here for his spectacular 25 foot birdie!!) Smile

Getting around (3.5/5)
The course is buggy-only (though I'm not sure if you can opt not to take a buggy but would advise against doing so since some of the holes require walking up steep hills). The buggies are not in great condition, however. The flight in front of us suffered the mid-play buggy-death syndrome and were forced to wait while a new buggy was sent to them. Also, the buggy track is not in great condition with parts of the track either cracked or partly flooded (though most of the track was in decent condition). Lastly, while the course prohibits use of the buggy on the fairway, it seems that everyone disregards this rule (which adds to the so-so state of the fairways above).

Service (4/5)
Attendants were generally pleasant and polite. There was no concern (at least to me) with the security of the bag etc and our bags were safely transported from the drop zone to the starting hut. I did, however, notice that one of the waitresses at the golfer's terrace seemed to have a chip on her shoulder when she rolled her eyes as we asked for an extra glass.

Facilities (3.5/5)
The clubhouse had the usual fare like a golfer's terrace (a little overpriced and food, I was told, wasn't fantastic), a swimming pool (which looked somewhat old) and other basic facilities like a tennis court, squash court etc which I didn't get a chance to see. Of importance was the changing room which was quite huge with sufficient lockers and attendants. Use of the lockers and towels were also FOC and the shower facilities were decent (there were quite a few showers and each had a bath soap dispenser). The changing room, however, was not well illuminated and not air-conditioned either which resulted in a lingering stale smell throughout the room. I also spotted 2 jacuzzis but didn't try them. Lastly, parking wasn't an issue either with ample lots though do note that the club also has a paintball range which seemed quite packed when I was there. That said, there seemed to be sufficient parking for all in spite of it being a weekend. Note that most of the parking lots are in the open.

Getting to Octville (4/5)
I was initially concerned that getting to and from Octville may be tricky but it turns out that my fears were unwarranted. It is located off the Pasir Gudang highway and there was signage indicating the route to Octville. Be warned, however, that the Pasir Gudang highway is a 2-lanes-on-each-side highway and the favorite for heavy vehicles. Therefore, traffic can be heavy but fortunately, the heavy vehicles (trailers, lorries etc) seemed courteous and kept to the left lane which allowed the cars on the right to travel reasonably fast. However, if there's a traffic accident, I'm sure the entire highway will come to a grinding halt.

[url=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=octville golf and country club, johor, malaysia&vps=4&jsv=168d&sll=42.875964,-95.712891&sspn=39.904043,93.076172&ie=UTF8&ei=8d1qStDGPImGugOA5siQAg&cd=1&usq=octville golf and country club,&cid=12344641524907934358&li=lmd]Google Map Location[/url]

Overall Score: 74%

Octville Golf & Country Club
1 Jalan Bayu Octville 1
(Off Persiaran Seri Alam)
81750 Masai
Johor Darul Takzim
Malaysia
Tel: 607-387 3000
Fax: 607-387 1777
http://www.golf-asia.com/msa/octville.html (Outdated)


On Green WELL PENNED AND RATED...
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 939
Join date : 2009-07-22
Age : 38
Location : Golfless City

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:43 am

So is this course only available for AGN members??? If not can anyone advise how to book it???

Cos i could not find any website of this...

Just heard from my dad who came from there this morning that it is quite a nice course to try out... i think only paid 480 per flight for sunday morning flight... dunno is that members price or walk-in also this promo?
Back to top Go down
kinkipet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 65
Join date : 2009-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:08 am

Octville..didn't play there for very long le...
The short Par 3 w Island Green looks like helicopter pad..the hole that will determine your score for the day itself Smile
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:00 am

kinkipet wrote:
Octville..didn't play there for very long le...
The short Par 3 w Island Green looks like helicopter pad..the hole that will determine your score for the day itself Smile

The Par 3 is one of the most magnificent I've seen and a real challenge. Pinpoint accuracy is compulsory since a mishit will mean a lost ball. Also, because of the elevation, proper estimation of wind is needed. Note that a good shot can be carried far off if a strong gust of wind picks the ball and sends it to a watery death.

I played an 8i and got the ball close to the front quarter of the green. Pity it was blue-flag day and the hole was so far away Sad

Also, there's a nice halfway hut there so it's a good place to get a drink and use the restroom if needed. Or at least take a moment to admire the hole... it is definitely a sight to behold Smile

Lastly, I neglected to thank MikePT for arranging the game. It was really fun playing with you and Alex (choco too) and I'm glad to have met new golf kaki Smile
Back to top Go down
MIKEPT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 83
Join date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi J (Technospas) and Chocoman,

Alex and me also having fun playing with 2 of you.
We wish you can join us on August the 10th either in Austin or Starhill Hill (to decide)...Cheers! MikePT
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1121
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:14 pm

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/daty41/SDC11441.jpg

took a photo during my round

(change back to link)


Last edited by tronos on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:21 pm

tronos wrote:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/daty41/SDC11441.jpg

took a photo during my round

Nice pic. You took it at a lower level? I recall the teebox being somewhat higher.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1121
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:23 pm

taken from the red
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1121
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:25 pm



taken further up
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:28 pm

tronos wrote:
taken from the red

Ahh.. hope you enjoyed the hole as much as we did.
Back to top Go down
MIKEPT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 83
Join date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:45 pm

Technospaz wrote:
tronos wrote:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/daty41/SDC11441.jpg

took a photo during my round

Nice pic. You took it at a lower level? I recall the teebox being somewhat higher.

SINCE WHEN YOU TAKE IT... I DIDN'T NOTICE YOU SNAP IT. MAYBE I AM DECEIVE BY THE HELIPAD AND THE WATER OBSTACLES..HAHAHA!
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2154
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:48 pm

fix another game la...

at octville
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:50 pm

MIKEPT wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
tronos wrote:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/daty41/SDC11441.jpg

took a photo during my round

Nice pic. You took it at a lower level? I recall the teebox being somewhat higher.

SINCE WHEN YOU TAKE IT... I DIDN'T NOTICE YOU SNAP IT. MAYBE I AM DECEIVE BY THE HELIPAD AND THE WATER OBSTACLES..HAHAHA!

Not me, Mike. It was Tronos who took the picture.

I was too busy caddying for Choco to take picture.
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2154
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:55 pm

MIKEPT wrote:
Hi J (Technospas) and Chocoman,

Alex and me also having fun playing with 2 of you.
We wish you can join us on August the 10th either in Austin or Starhill Hill (to decide)...Cheers! MikePT
i played austin afew times... many years ago.

green hard like rock. i guess u have to spin the ball.. like tiger to get it on.

i am sure now.. how it is like.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:58 pm

chocoman wrote:
MIKEPT wrote:
Hi J (Technospas) and Chocoman,

Alex and me also having fun playing with 2 of you.
We wish you can join us on August the 10th either in Austin or Starhill Hill (to decide)...Cheers! MikePT
i played austin afew times... many years ago.

green hard like rock. i guess u have to spin the ball.. like tiger to get it on.

i am sure now.. how it is like.

You are good at backspin. Should be no problem for you. Like the other day. Can backspin off the water onto the green Wink
Back to top Go down
MIKEPT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 83
Join date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:02 pm

chocoman wrote:
fix another game la...

at octville
WILL DO! MOST PROBALY IN AUSTIN HILLS OR STARHILL (BUGGY ON TRACK). PROMOTIONAL RATE.. LET ALEX TO CHECK IT UP. IT IS FUN HAVING YOU AROUND...LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE. BROS...HAHAHA!
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2154
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Technospaz wrote:
MIKEPT wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
tronos wrote:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/daty41/SDC11441.jpg

took a photo during my round

Nice pic. You took it at a lower level? I recall the teebox being somewhat higher.

SINCE WHEN YOU TAKE IT... I DIDN'T NOTICE YOU SNAP IT. MAYBE I AM DECEIVE BY THE HELIPAD AND THE WATER OBSTACLES..HAHAHA!

Not me, Mike. It was Tronos who took the picture.

I was too busy caddying for Choco to take picture.


compliment ?? Laughing Laughing Laughing

btw.. i cant play 9,10 and 11.................................. apache heli fly over
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2154
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:07 pm

MIKEPT wrote:
chocoman wrote:
fix another game la...

at octville
WILL DO! MOST PROBALY IN AUSTIN HILLS OR STARHILL (BUGGY ON TRACK). PROMOTIONAL RATE.. LET ALEX TO CHECK IT UP. IT IS FUN HAVING YOU AROUND...LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE. BROS...HAHAHA!

mike can help me check..

2 balls for this thursday pm game at octville.. how much??

can pm me..
Back to top Go down
MIKEPT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 83
Join date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:38 pm

chocoman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
MIKEPT wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
tronos wrote:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/daty41/SDC11441.jpg

took a photo during my round

Nice pic. You took it at a lower level? I recall the teebox being somewhat higher.

SINCE WHEN YOU TAKE IT... I DIDN'T NOTICE YOU SNAP IT. MAYBE I AM DECEIVE BY THE HELIPAD AND THE WATER OBSTACLES..HAHAHA!

Not me, Mike. It was Tronos who took the picture.

I was too busy caddying for Choco to take picture.


compliment ?? Laughing Laughing Laughing

btw.. i cant play 9,10 and 11.................................. apache heli fly over

Oh! yeah.. My apology, I misread the caption, it wasn't you. Just to share, a hole (can't remember which no.) in Ponderosa where the helipad hole is up the hill, you can only see the tip of the flag (Pin) from the Tee-box below the hill. Try that out if you happen to play there.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:48 pm

MIKEPT wrote:
chocoman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
MIKEPT wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
tronos wrote:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/daty41/SDC11441.jpg

took a photo during my round

Nice pic. You took it at a lower level? I recall the teebox being somewhat higher.

SINCE WHEN YOU TAKE IT... I DIDN'T NOTICE YOU SNAP IT. MAYBE I AM DECEIVE BY THE HELIPAD AND THE WATER OBSTACLES..HAHAHA!

Not me, Mike. It was Tronos who took the picture.

I was too busy caddying for Choco to take picture.


compliment ?? Laughing Laughing Laughing

btw.. i cant play 9,10 and 11.................................. apache heli fly over

Oh! yeah.. My apology, I misread the caption, it wasn't you. Just to share, a hole (can't remember which no.) in Ponderosa where the helipad hole is up the hill, you can only see the tip of the flag (Pin) from the Tee-box below the hill. Try that out if you happen to play there.

So, when are we playing at Ponderosa, Mike? Smile
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2154
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:15 pm

when when cheers
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Octville   Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:23 pm

chocoman wrote:
when when cheers

Funny thing, Choco. I'm very gian to eat the wantan mee again. It was really good. Early makan, then tee off. Very shiok!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Octville   Today at 9:58 am

Back to top Go down
 
Octville
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» octville golf course rating
» How to get to octville country club
» 28/11 Octville...
» Christine Resort (Formerly known as Octville Golf & Country Club)
» Armada golf course

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Courses and Ranges-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.