Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 When buying a hybrid.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
aahhhcabretta
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 65
Join date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: When buying a hybrid.   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:09 pm

To my knowledge, 4 hybrid would go 10m further than a 4 iron, am i right?

So if my purpose of buying a hybrid is to replace having a 3 iron in my bag, would i then get a 4 hybrid?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:13 pm

I don't know if your first sentence is true. Distance depends on various things such as swing speed, smash factor etc.

As for buying a hybrid (4H or otherwise), a hybrid (IMHO) is easier to play than a long iron so I prefer to hit a hybrid if the need arises. Also, given that it is a rescue club, it would be a good alternative to use if your ball is stuck in say some light rough.

Don't buy a hybrid just for its distance. Rather, buy a hybrid if you find it easy to use and if it can help you get out of sticky situations Smile

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
toekong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 33
Join date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:22 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I don't know if your first sentence is true. Distance depends on various things such as swing speed, smash factor etc.

As for buying a hybrid (4H or otherwise), a hybrid (IMHO) is easier to play than a long iron so I prefer to hit a hybrid if the need arises. Also, given that it is a rescue club, it would be a good alternative to use if your ball is stuck in say some light rough.

Don't buy a hybrid just for its distance. Rather, buy a hybrid if you find it easy to use and if it can help you get out of sticky situations Smile

Agree. My coach never uses a hybrid even though he can hit well enough with it. He prefer to use iron and even go hunting around for a 3 iron, which he just bought. Last i heard he is looking for an 2 iron.
At the end, its all about you. if u think u can better and consistently with an iron, u are much better off with it even though u can hit farther with an hybrid.
I myself am beginning to loath my hybrid.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:26 pm

For me, my 3H and 4H are invaluable. I need them in my bag and use them frequently.

But toekong is right. This is a very personal choice and you may ultimately prefer using long irons than hybrids.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1043
Join date : 2010-03-01

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 pm

Go with what suits your game best, not what the magazine or other people has to say...
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 10361
Join date : 2009-12-19
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:41 pm

If you not sure which hybrid to get, do go for some GR range gathering at mbgc or occ to try fellow forumers' hybrids to get a sense of your preference. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:46 pm

just to add some fuel to the fire...I have a 3i as well as 3H & 5H in my bag. The hybrid is good for getting out of the rough or when my FW wood is mis behaving. I use the 3i not for distance but more for punching out from the "jungle". You would be surprised at just how effective it can be.
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1043
Join date : 2010-03-01

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:53 pm

Winston wrote:
just to add some fuel to the fire...I have a 3i as well as 3H & 5H in my bag. The hybrid is good for getting out of the rough or when my FW wood is mis behaving. I use the 3i not for distance but more for punching out from the "jungle". You would be surprised at just how effective it can be.

I thought I am the only one keeping a 3 iron for 'emergency purposes'. Felt stupid sometimes. Now that I know I am not the only one... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3179
Join date : 2009-06-22
Age : 40
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:55 pm

I use hybrid to replace my long irons. Simple as that. Couldn't do wood, so settle with H.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:42 am

Yarra wrote:
Winston wrote:
just to add some fuel to the fire...I have a 3i as well as 3H & 5H in my bag. The hybrid is good for getting out of the rough or when my FW wood is mis behaving. I use the 3i not for distance but more for punching out from the "jungle". You would be surprised at just how effective it can be.

I thought I am the only one keeping a 3 iron for 'emergency purposes'. Felt stupid sometimes. Now that I know I am not the only one... Twisted Evil

Beer

The course I normally play in has alot of trees lining the fairway and I normally end up in there due to my eratic swing. I have to resort to the 3i so much that I am actually getting very proficient in it. HELP
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2702
Join date : 2009-12-11
Location : golf club graveyard

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:44 am

daveaha wrote:
I use hybrid to replace my long irons. Simple as that. Couldn't do wood, so settle with H.

and your hybrid is long and straight. far as a FW too.
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1043
Join date : 2010-03-01

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:49 am

Winston wrote:
Yarra wrote:
Winston wrote:
just to add some fuel to the fire...I have a 3i as well as 3H & 5H in my bag. The hybrid is good for getting out of the rough or when my FW wood is mis behaving. I use the 3i not for distance but more for punching out from the "jungle". You would be surprised at just how effective it can be.

I thought I am the only one keeping a 3 iron for 'emergency purposes'. Felt stupid sometimes. Now that I know I am not the only one... Twisted Evil

Beer

The course I normally play in has alot of trees lining the fairway and I normally end up in there due to my eratic swing. I have to resort to the 3i so much that I am actually getting very proficient in it. HELP

Same here, but lately I have to try and learn to do it with my 4 iron. I am looking to bag a 20* or 22* hybrid. Play with single-digit handicap lately. Analyzed my game and realized that my weakest link is 180-190 meters in. Hit my 18* hybrid about 195 meters and my 4 iron about 170-175 meters. I figured I need a club to close out that gap. Can't hit my 3 iron consistently, would be better off with a higher-lofted hybrid.
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1043
Join date : 2010-03-01

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:50 am

mizzy wrote:
daveaha wrote:
I use hybrid to replace my long irons. Simple as that. Couldn't do wood, so settle with H.

and your hybrid is long and straight. far as a FW too.

Got something wrong with his 3 wood? Or his hybrid is simply that much more easier to hit than his 3 wood? Wink
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:59 am

Yarra wrote:
Winston wrote:
Yarra wrote:
Winston wrote:
just to add some fuel to the fire...I have a 3i as well as 3H & 5H in my bag. The hybrid is good for getting out of the rough or when my FW wood is mis behaving. I use the 3i not for distance but more for punching out from the "jungle". You would be surprised at just how effective it can be.

I thought I am the only one keeping a 3 iron for 'emergency purposes'. Felt stupid sometimes. Now that I know I am not the only one... Twisted Evil

Beer

The course I normally play in has alot of trees lining the fairway and I normally end up in there due to my eratic swing. I have to resort to the 3i so much that I am actually getting very proficient in it. HELP

Same here, but lately I have to try and learn to do it with my 4 iron. I am looking to bag a 20* or 22* hybrid. Play with single-digit handicap lately. Analyzed my game and realized that my weakest link is 180-190 meters in. Hit my 18* hybrid about 195 meters and my 4 iron about 170-175 meters. I figured I need a club to close out that gap. Can't hit my 3 iron consistently, would be better off with a higher-lofted hybrid.

hhmm..how about doing a 3/4 swing on you 18*. Any idea or gravitating to a certain brand for the 20*??
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1043
Join date : 2010-03-01

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:12 am

I love Adams stuffs. If only they are more readily available in this region. I got a tour issue 9031 20* hybrid coming with Voodoo shaft in a week or so. I also have two Matrix Ozik hM2 hybrid shafts (black and white version) at home, waiting to go into the head in case the Voodoo don't suit me well. I will let you know how it goes.

As for 3/4 swing, I am a pretty inconsistent long-club hitter. So I would prefer a club I can swing all-out rather than hitting at 3/4 or 1/2 swing. Except for wedges, which for some reason I can get accustom to pretty quickly. I know, it's all in the head. Psychologically I would hit a longer club as hard as I could. It's pretty hard to resist. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:01 pm

Yarra wrote:
I love Adams stuffs.

Have yet to try Adams so cant really give you any feedback. I have no brand loyalty really. I guess that anything that feels comfortable in terms of looks, feel is the most important to me.

As for going for an all out swing - "GRIP IT AND RIP IT!!!"
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1043
Join date : 2010-03-01

PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:11 pm

Winston wrote:
Yarra wrote:
I love Adams stuffs.

Have yet to try Adams so cant really give you any feedback. I have no brand loyalty really. I guess that anything that feels comfortable in terms of looks, feel is the most important to me.

As for going for an all out swing - "GRIP IT AND RIP IT!!!"

Adams is pretty much a sleeper in this part of the world, really... I never tried their retail products, but their tour issue stuffs are really good. Especially the hybrid and fairway woods. Trying to get my hands on their irons, but it is really hard.

I do not have any one brand loyalty either. It's just so happens that I am comfortable with TM products as I a have been playing them for so long. I love trying out new stuffs and discovered that Adams hybrid and fairway woods are great. Tour edge fairway woods are great, too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: When buying a hybrid.   Today at 10:25 pm

Back to top Go down
 
When buying a hybrid.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Thinking of buying a Hayabusa.
» Buying frm online whole sale site
» Things to consider when buying a better golf set
» BMW makes buying easier with new eBay store
» Buying a 20 year old vehicle

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Pro Shop :: Golf Equipment-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.