Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2668
Join date : 2009-12-23
Age : 35
Location : Pasir Gudang / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:40 am

nientsu wrote:
daveaha wrote:
Duval_S wrote:
Like they said which we all know....All golfers are the same....Just that some golfers are 'luckier' than others....

All I want is to increase my golf hours fm current 10 hours/mth to 12 hours in 2 years time...

Browsing Golf republic is included in your quota or not ?


His wife doesnt know this forum exist. If not, I am sure i will be included.

When his wife ask wat he is doing, He will say,'Dear, I am looking around on the net for places to buy paste and ingredients so that I can make Nasi Lemak and Laksa for you...'
Come Come... I share something with you all for your wives/gf's

Purse Blog
Purse Blog Forum

Now one can surf Golf Republic while your other half is surfing Purse Blog... Enjoy!!!
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 7236
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Sillypore

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:41 am

but imagine cooking a whole batch of muar chee just because i have a craving for a $2 packet size portion...

mrs mC is so gonna kill me...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:44 am

Trust me,

when you both cook together, the time spent on the joint effort is good for the relationship.

But I guess I can't comment on how you should live your family life.

Being away together overseas have made us appreciate each other more and done wonders for the marriage.

Food cravings are hard to substitute but they are what they are oni - cravings. There are more impt and beautiful things in life than muar chee and nasi lemak.

_________________
Stay Thirsty My Friends...
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 7236
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Sillypore

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:51 am

S70B wrote:
There are more impt and beautiful things in life than muar chee and nasi lemak.

i geddit idol... Smile






anyway... yes... there are 2 things in life that is better than muar chee and nasi lemak; golf and s......
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:59 am

S70B wrote:
Trust me,

when you both cook together, the time spent on the joint effort is good for the relationship.

But I guess I can't comment on how you should live your family life.

Being away together overseas have made us appreciate each other more and done wonders for the marriage.

Food cravings are hard to substitute but they are what they are oni - cravings. There are more impt and beautiful things in life than muar chee and nasi lemak.



ditto to that.......

now me waiting for my kids to grow up so that they can wash the dishes after we cooked..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1270
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:34 pm

maybe live somewhere where it doesnt RAIN SO &*^*&^*(%( much.

, I went down to keppel 4 times last week. Only got to play once!!!

The other 3 times sit down in the cafe drink beer and donate money to tiger beer!!!

My golf cold turkey almost over. If I dont play this week, I may just recover from golf addiction.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:53 pm

It rained last night here in Dubai. That's probably the last we will see for the next 10 months Smile
Back to top Go down
TNRM
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 271
Join date : 2010-02-22
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:00 pm

Pushslice: You've hit the nail on the head. Which leads me to the actual subliminal message in this thread. That is: For all that we harp about how much we despise SIN, when push comes to shove, and balance is sought, we choose not to put our money where our mouth is on the ballot paper. That's not to say that some of us haven't done it but for the most part, the majority don't want to rock the boat. Case of better a devil you know....

Ghoonk comes perhaps the closest to doing something about an unpleasant situation he finds in, and that that, much respect.

S70B: Your description was also what my friend aspired for but somehow it didn't materialise. Not sure why but I heard that the lack of a domestic help was one of the factors.

As for me, I have my exit strategy all figured out, or at least for now. I have tried and can't change the course of this large trawler. Hence, I'm cutting loose my little rubber dinghy and seeking another destiny. Only issue is timing....
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 7236
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Sillypore

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:04 pm

the rain here in guam and saipan? we just sit out the rain. 30 mins max. it will stop raining...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Quote :
Quote :
Quote :
daveaha wrote:
Duval_S wrote:
Like they said which we all know....All golfers are the same....Just that some golfers are 'luckier' than others....

All I want is to increase my golf hours fm current 10 hours/mth to 12 hours in 2 years time...

Browsing Golf republic is included in your quota or not ?


Quota only applies to offsite (ie away fm home and office) activites eg. range and golf courses.

That explains why i don do range....unnecessary waste of my quota......(PS: but the bright side, it saves me fm wasting my good shots on range....aka my golf philo)
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 7236
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Sillypore

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:08 pm

u 1d010t! waste your bad shots in the range...





machiam we know which next swing we take will be good or bad... Razz

Imagine a dog leg left fairway when u hit the ball, the ball will slice...
a dog leg right fairway, the ball will hook.

a tree in between u and the green, your ball with neither slice or hook.... it just goes straight and longggggggg.... past the OB sticks... Razz
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:15 pm

Quote :
mUAr_cHEe wrote:
u 1d010t! waste your bad shots in the range...





cks... Razz



Now then you tell me!!!....sigh ...resulting in me being so fearful of going to range.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:23 pm

TNRM wrote:
Pushslice: You've hit the nail on the head. Which leads me to the actual subliminal message in this thread. That is: For all that we harp about how much we despise SIN, when push comes to shove, and balance is sought, we choose not to put our money where our mouth is on the ballot paper. That's not to say that some of us haven't done it but for the most part, the majority don't want to rock the boat. Case of better a devil you know....

Ghoonk comes perhaps the closest to doing something about an unpleasant situation he finds in, and that that, much respect.

S70B: Your description was also what my friend aspired for but somehow it didn't materialise. Not sure why but I heard that the lack of a domestic help was one of the factors.

As for me, I have my exit strategy all figured out, or at least for now. I have tried and can't change the course of this large trawler. Hence, I'm cutting loose my little rubber dinghy and seeking another destiny. Only issue is timing....

yeah well. Would I want to move back to SG and be with family and old friends? Yes.

But let me tell you guys a story.

A long long time ago, there was a young man who had dreams. He wanted to live in a small simple house overlooking the sea, live a comfortable life, be able to provide for wife and kids (wife once taught me that any problem that can be solved with money is not a problem), and drive nice car.

Young man looked around, saw a lot of expats in Raffles Place - drive nice car, every evening go Boat Quay, eat nice, drink nice, dress nice, live in nice condos, and young man decided that lifestyle was what he wanted

So young man worked hard. In MNC, then partnered and founded what was, at some point, a successful dot-com, then later took up middle management positions in MNCs, boutique consultants, etc

Young man worked like dog, but still wasn't getting close to living the sort of lifestyle that the expats were living.

So after trying one thing after another in the same country, the young man finally got a chance for a 3 month consulting role for a telco startup in Dubai. Young man figured what the heck, see how it goes.

Young man left, and lo and behold, expat lifestyle Razz

*facepalm*
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1471
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:20 pm

Hiaz ... Life is tough ....
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:23 pm

back on topic:

Singapore does have nice courses -- I particularly enjoy Warren GC and Marina Bay. One thing you won't find in Dubai is cheap golf. A round here at twilight rate is already SGD120, whereas a round at MBGC is around SGD70. Golf at peak hours is around SGD240 a round, which makes courses in Singapore seem cheap in comparison... haiz
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 6193
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 35
Location : Training

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:31 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
Quote :
Quote :
daveaha wrote:
Duval_S wrote:
Like they said which we all know....All golfers are the same....Just that some golfers are 'luckier' than others....

All I want is to increase my golf hours fm current 10 hours/mth to 12 hours in 2 years time...

Browsing Golf republic is included in your quota or not ?


Quota only applies to offsite (ie away fm home and office) activites eg. range and golf courses.

That explains why i don do range....unnecessary waste of my quota......(PS: but the bright side, it saves me fm wasting my good shots on range....aka my golf philo)

build your own range at home then, with launch monitor, then your balcony or backyard build a chipping/putting green. stay at home, don't waste your quota but still practice like mad!
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3248
Join date : 2009-07-17
Age : 41
Location : Serangoon Central

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:40 pm

hmmm... how come nobody mentions about Toronto or Melbourne...
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 676
Join date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:53 pm

i think east side is pretty good.
i live near loyang and work in ubi area, so only 15mins via PIE to work.
pass the erp gantry after 8am so no need to pay and parking is free at the office.

member of NSRCC and I go to the range 3 times a week.
cant remember exactly but range should be about $4 per 100 balls.

my wife is my golf kaki and we play on weekend evenings (usually army course).
green fee and buggy work out to be $76 for 2 of us (9 holes).
so its $152 for 2 of us for a 18 hole game (over saturday and sunday).

booking is also relatively hassle free as most people dont play evenings but we enjoy it.
no worries about the sun and pace is generally more relax.
usually we can get slot even when we make our booking on the same day.
online booking really convenient and i make my bookings via my iphone.

as its only 15mins drive to the club, we have ample time to cancel our flight if the weather is bad (no penalty). most of the time, nsrcc would call us if there is any major delays (due to weather).

after golf, we would take a leisure drive along changi coast road to changi village for dinner and usually its "free" parking there.

so i think east side is working out really well for me in terms of work, golf & living.
only complain is the long queue at the nasi lemak stall but i could always change to wanton noodle.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:28 am

hear hear!
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1399
Join date : 2009-07-27
Location : Jurong

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 am

Bro Ghoonk,

I dunno abt Dubai but Golf in Abu Dhabi is not bad.

I just finished 18 holes during twilight at.... Saadiyat again!

This time no strong winds so managed to control the drives and long irons.

2 pars and 200 AED (78 SGD) later, I am a happy man and ready for The Earth Course this Friday!!!!



ghoonk wrote:
back on topic:

Singapore does have nice courses -- I particularly enjoy Warren GC and Marina Bay. One thing you won't find in Dubai is cheap golf. A round here at twilight rate is already SGD120, whereas a round at MBGC is around SGD70. Golf at peak hours is around SGD240 a round, which makes courses in Singapore seem cheap in comparison... haiz
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:46 am

EH, YOU DAMN ENG HOR.

how about a round in Dubai tomorrow? Very Happy

Thinking of popping out for a pre-lunch round (11 am to 1 pm?) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1399
Join date : 2009-07-27
Location : Jurong

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:07 am

I am only as Eng as you are bro.

Tomorrow confirm cannot la.

I have played 18 + 18 + 9 +18 + 18 = 81 holes in the last 7 days liao.

Bring on Earth!!! hehhehe

ghoonk wrote:
EH, YOU DAMN ENG HOR.

how about a round in Dubai tomorrow? Very Happy

Thinking of popping out for a pre-lunch round (11 am to 1 pm?) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:19 am

might play earth tomorrow wor Wink
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1399
Join date : 2009-07-27
Location : Jurong

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:24 am

wahhhh

Pls brief me on the wind condition and sand storm conditions.

We pray for a calmer day on Friday!
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1270
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

ghoonk wrote:

yeah well. Would I want to move back to SG and be with family and old friends? Yes.

But let me tell you guys a story.

A long long time.......

So after trying one thing after another in the same country, the young man finally got a chance for a 3 month consulting role for a telco startup in Dubai. Young man figured what the heck, see how it goes.

Young man left, and lo and behold, expat lifestyle Razz

*facepalm*

I cant help but agree that this guy is correct. People dont appreciate the local grapes even if you are good. Imported is always perceived to be better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?   Today at 2:06 am

Back to top Go down
 
Where to Live for Work, Golfing and Living?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Where do you live/& do for a living?
» NASCAR may be back on live tv in uk!
» what is the law on live bait in uk
» can you name this work wheel ?
» FCUM live streaming video

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.