Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

In RSS, how to keep it on the wall?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
aahhhcabretta
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: In RSS, how to keep it on the wall?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:47 pm

In RSS is it possible to have a full swing (shaft parallel to the ground) and still have your left side on the wall?
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: In RSS, how to keep it on the wall?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:21 pm

Good question and in general, the answer is "No", it is not possible.

Please be aware that in the RSS a full swing does not get to parallel as you suggest. It is in between the vertical and horizontal as the picture below shows. Once it gets to parallel, we would call this an overswing and generally the left side will move off the wall when this happens

Try keeping it short of parallel which will help keep you in the correct body shape and allow you to maintain the correct radius/width in your swing. This will improve your impact and ball striking

When the club gets to parallel, the shaft becomes to narrow or too close to your shoulder/neck. This leads to either casting the club back out or becoming "stuck" on the way down. Neither of these two conditions are good for consistent contact
Back to top Go down
aahhhcabretta
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: In RSS, how to keep it on the wall?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Thanks for the quick reply paul! Ive been recording myself and thats what i notice. Every time i swing to parallel, my left side always moves away from the wall. Its just a habit of mine to swing to that point.

Would a visual reference be to have the left shoulder be just a little to the left of your chin? At least with me, as soon as its directly below my chin my shaft would be parallel to the ground.

As far as driver goes, don't you want a fuller swing?
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: In RSS, how to keep it on the wall?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:43 pm

That's a good visual reference. Sounds like you may be having some turning problems, either the direction of the turn or too much turn. This is a major cause of the symptoms you describe

Driver swing will be a little longer due to the length of the club - still try to keep it short of parallel for best results.

Feel free to email some swings to me and I can tell you the cause of the problem
Back to top Go down
aahhhcabretta
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: In RSS, how to keep it on the wall?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:50 pm

With the driver, if theres no change in wrist angles and shoulder turn as compared the to iron swing, how can the length of the club itself causes a longer swing. By longer i mean a little less than parallel but more than that 45 degree at the top of the swing (the pic you uploaded).
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: In RSS, how to keep it on the wall?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:06 pm

I think it happens as the player is generally trying to give it their maximum power, hence slightly more turn. I also think a 45" shaft is gonna flex slightly more in transition than an iron shaft. I certainly do not tell my students to turn more for a driver, it just happens. Here is the same players driver swing at the top. Not too much difference in turn or wrist angles

Back to top Go down
aahhhcabretta
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: In RSS, how to keep it on the wall?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:11 pm

Cool thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In RSS, how to keep it on the wall?   Today at 5:52 am

Back to top Go down

In RSS, how to keep it on the wall?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1