Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Tue May 25, 2010 11:09 pm

*DELETED*

*Genuine question - Pros please help*

Last edited by darenlim on Tue May 25, 2010 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Tue May 25, 2010 11:31 pm

KNS la you!

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Tue May 25, 2010 11:37 pm

delete delete

Last edited by mizzy on Wed May 26, 2010 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Tue May 25, 2010 11:40 pm

Mate I have never met you, I do not know you from a bar of soap, but I have followed a lot of your comments... I dont know how "genuine" you really are.. but I will start off...

If you are an "elite" player and your coach is not setting you goals on achiving this target then in my opinion you are being short changed...

You must set (or be set) goals... that are achievable.... you must write these goals down, and you must put them somewhere that you can see them everyday to re enforce to yourself how important they really are...

For example...

Your question, how to hit closer...

Lets say your goal for the month is to hit your 7 iron closer from 150M (or whatever your distance is)...

If you hit 100 balls each practice session then you put 30-40 balls aside for only this goal... the rest you hit as normal, or for a different goal...

So out of the 30-40 balls your start out goal might be....

Out of 40 balls with a 7 iron from 140 metres I must put 5 within 10 metres of the flag...

Once you can achive this make it harder... I must put 10 within 1o metres....

As your ability increases your target decreases so from the 40 balls you must get 50 % within 5 metres or whatever you think is achivable...

As you aciheive each step you tick it off your list and adjust to make the next goal harder...

It is positive practce , and target oriented practice that will make you better... dont just go to the range and hit balls willy nilly and expect to become a good golfer...

Even if you aim for a target each rime you practice, if you are not trying to achive a gola it is still just hitting...

This advice is given "genuinely" I hope is accepted as such... if you need help setting goals or achiving them I am available anytime...........
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Tue May 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Shorthitter,

I appreciate your comments as you have probably answered my question.
I am starting my lessons after a long time this weekend and will definitely bare in mind to inform my coach about these goals I have to set. I play decent but I do not get enough birdies and I kept getting told to hit it closer or sink more putts. That is why the question.

What you have just pointed out will be very helpful.

Thank you! Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Tue May 25, 2010 11:57 pm

Very welcome.............
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 1:56 am

It's questions and answers like this that benefit everyone in Golf Republic.

Thanks for asking Darren and thanks for the detailed answer Shorthitter.

Two thumbs up to the both of you.

ps - Just how well do you know a bar of soap Shorthitter? I only know to never pick up a dropped bar of soap. ROFL
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 7:33 am

mizzy wrote:
some thoughts.. i'm no pro.. my own practice.

long irons.. not possible for me.

mid irons.. distance control is key.. a little fade control is good, aim for the centre of the green. if back pin, take one more club and hope release of ball brings it to the back.
front pin position, play it to the centre or choke up and hope it does not come up short.

short irons.. distance control again. try not to fade or draw as i'm not good at that for short irons.

****maybe you play better than me. just my 2 cents.**** Wink

Bro have you been missing reading the recent threads on Darren???

****maybe you play better than me. just my 2 cents.**** lol!
This is an understatement of the year. He is ex-national and just beaten Cyp
75 to 91 and Cyp is an aspiring PGA trainee, Champion of Legends.... just recently. So what do you think? That question is not from a newbie.... lol!

Titu

PS : My sincere apologies if you are playing scratch as I don't know your playing standard and better than lets say 5 over. I would surely love to see a match up between the 2 of you and eagerly await the results if such a match up is done. On the other hand , am quite tired of newbies who had just gone thru a couple of lessons from coaches and start advising what their coach told them. Sorry for the rant. Peace
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 8:30 am

Tituman wrote:

75 to 91 and Cyp is an aspiring PGA trainee, Champion of Legends.... just recently. So what do you think? That question is not from a newbie.... lol!

Titu

PS : My sincere apologies if you are playing scratch as I don't know your playing standard and better than lets say 5 over. I would surely love to see a match up between the 2 of you and eagerly await the results if such a match up is done. On the other hand , am quite tired of newbies who had just gone thru a couple of lessons from coaches and start advising what their coach told them. Sorry for the rant. Peace

Why rant about ppl offering genuine advice/help?
If we have to worry about what the forum police says about what we can post or that only certain ppl can offer swing advice, then this forum will slowly die from lack of posts?

Also what is the point in bringing up past game scores of certain forum members? We are here to encourage ....

Sorry for the rant. Peace
albino
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 9:31 am

I am definitely not fit to advise Daren on how to hit close to the pin. I am struggling with increasing GIR now by targetting the green instead of the flag.

Just want to say that I am impressed that you are still willing to learn after such standard. Golf is really never ending. I believe you can achieve this goal once you set to do it with such humility.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 9:33 am

shorthitter, you are Seebayho ah! .....and I am genuine too Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 9:42 am

Birdman wrote:
ps - Just how well do you know a bar of soap Shorthitter? I only know to never pick up a dropped bar of soap. ROFL

That is why soap on a rope was invented.... Laughing

[shorthitter, you are Seebayho ah! .....and I am genuine too ] ?????????????????? Question
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 9:51 am

[shorthitter, you are Seebayho ah! .....and I am genuine too ] ?????????????????? Question[/quote]

check with the chinaman
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 9:53 am

[shorthitter, you are Seebayho ah! .....and I am genuine too ] ?????????????????? Question[/quote]

it means....you are damn good!
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 am

seebayho wrote:
[shorthitter, you are Seebayho ah! .....and I am genuine too ] ?????????????????? Question

it means....you are damn good![/quote]

Haha thought u had been peeping at my ebay account.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 10:43 am

Ssquirrel wrote:
Tituman wrote:

Titu

Why rant about ppl offering genuine advice/help?
If we have to worry about what the forum police says about what we can post or that only certain ppl can offer swing advice, then this forum will slowly die from lack of posts?

Also what is the point in bringing up past game scores of certain forum members? We are here to encourage ....

Sorry for the rant. Peace
albino

Sorry SS if my comment riled you. Just that I saw too many beginners giving "lao Chiao" advices when he/she himself requires it more than the requester, in this case an ex national golfer. Peace Have said my piece and will keep off this thread. Stretcher

Titu
Back to top Go down
Ryan Lee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 11:01 am

just a question.
Does shot shaping plays an important role in this aspect or is it only necessary for a challenging green/pin layout?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 11:02 am

OK.....just a bit OB, all I am trying to do is to hit the middle of the green...

It might be an easy thing for others, but for me, quite tough.....because of 3 factors:

#1 I have a pretty screwed brain.....too much kay kiang...

#2 I play around with my club too much, bloody hell....eg. 8 iron...imagine, for a plebian golfer like me, I actually got the nerves to think of closing , opening the face ...etc etc

#3 This is a perpetual thing....becos of my fear in utilizing unnecessary good shots at the range, I actually practise hitting some shots which I simulate in front of mirror.....IN the ACTUAL game.....wah piang....tell me I am stupid or just stupid-est
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 11:49 am

Regardless of opinions, I accept them from all kinds of levels.
Each and everyone has their own way in approaching the game and I believe that there is good intention when they are posted here. I appreciate it Smile

Whether it is applicable or not, it is up to the players to sort it out themselves with their pros or pros to point it out here.
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 11:53 am

Tituman wrote:

Titu

Bro Titu...

Hope i don't offend you... I have played with DL a couple of times already...
Although he has the credentials of a good player i believe that he and everyone here in the forum
would like to play to their fullest potential...

Whether or not he did "beat" CYP is not the case... I have seen him play and i might not be a scratch
golfer but i feel that he does need to start putting the ball closer on his approach to maximise the chances
of getting his birdies
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 11:55 am

Tituman wrote:

Sorry SS if my comment riled you. Just that I saw too many beginners giving "lao Chiao" advices when he/she himself requires it more than the requester, in this case an ex national golfer. Peace Have said my piece and will keep off this thread. Stretcher

Titu
Bro Tituman.. steady.. no hard feelings.. just hoping to see more encouragement for ppl to post and contribute to keep the forum alive lah...
I mean unless you follow certain threads closely, no one knows Darren is ex-national golfer, and who knows maybe even an ex-national golfer might be able to gain some minor insights from everyone since he asked in the first place. Peace

No hard feelings hor.. let's have a game one of these days.. Beer
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 12:01 pm

Quote :
Ryan Lee wrote:
just a question.
Does shot shaping plays an important role in this aspect or is it only necessary for a challenging green/pin layout?

The only shot shaping (if I can call it as such) is knock down or normal flight ball....(sorry if a bit layman).

For tight green, I go knock down....one club more...and then hoot ah.....the surprising thing, I can get the ball to stop relatively faster than my normal swing.....(yeah..something is really wrong I think). The only problem with me is that I cant do knock down if on not flat lie.....if still woot, likely duff or ki ki kok kok

well, that is as much shot shaping I have in my limited reportoire
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 12:04 pm

Tituman wrote:

Titu

so good ah? i definitely cannot give my 2 cents.. delete delete
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 12:19 pm

To hit the ball closer to the pin is to get close to the green and chip it close to pin - This is the tactic for winning Olympic betting Razz
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 12:37 pm

Well Daren, you have the skill and accurracy to shoot for the pin without doubt, but to get to close to the pin for a good birdie chance you need to know the characteristic of the green itself, ie the speed, slope and run off and so forth..... As, golf course designer in modern days love to designed one or two quadrant of the green for tough pin placement.. as they call it sucker pin position.

In a nut shell, know your greens well, when and where to attack the pin, so to feed the ball to the pin position.

Thats the fun part of golf, catch us off guard, and we will rant and curse for days about our 3 putting or ball kicking off of the green.

Have fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Today at 7:15 am

Back to top Go down

How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next