Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
Ryan Lee wrote:
just a question.
Does shot shaping plays an important role in this aspect or is it only necessary for a challenging green/pin layout?

The only shot shaping (if I can call it as such) is knock down or normal flight ball....(sorry if a bit layman).

For tight green, I go knock down....one club more...and then hoot ah.....the surprising thing, I can get the ball to stop relatively faster than my normal swing.....(yeah..something is really wrong I think). The only problem with me is that I cant do knock down if on not flat lie.....if still woot, likely duff or ki ki kok kok

well, that is as much shot shaping I have in my limited reportoire

Hi, Duval

I have similar experience in succesful knockdown. I believe it is because I hit it more solid. And ball position is more back in my stance hence probably more spin is created.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Generally knock down will encourage the golfer to get more compression and hence better impact. A great shot to practice if you are topping or duffing the ball. Swing it shorter and try to hit it lower. Results may surprise you.

Most topped and duffed shots come from the golfer trying to hit it high, i.e lifting or scooping the ball from underneath
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 2:03 pm

Could it be you prefer to play safe? going for the pin may leave you in undesireable lie...
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 2:15 pm

weesern wrote:
Could it be you prefer to play safe? going for the pin may leave you in undesireable lie...

I am not a very safe player, I am quite aggressive.
The drill that shorthitter pointed out is very helpful and I am sure it will work the same for all levels.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 2:34 pm

darenlim wrote:
weesern wrote:

The drill that shorthitter pointed out is very helpful and I am sure it will work the same for all levels.

Btw Daren, just curious, but when you miss the pin, do you normally miss it left / right or short / long? Just trying to understand what a good player like yourself goes through.

As for Shorthitter's post, I'll definitely try it out immediately, although at my level, the goal for a 150m shot is probably going to be along the lines of "contact not too fat or thin, +/- 10m long or short and +/- 20m left or right, 7 out of 10 times".

Shorthitter, just one question. In your experience, does it make more sense to take the shots consecutively, or to space them out in between other clubs?
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 3:18 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Tituman wrote:

Sorry SS if my comment riled you. Just that I saw too many beginners giving "lao Chiao" advices when he/she himself requires it more than the requester, in this case an ex national golfer. Peace Have said my piece and will keep off this thread. Stretcher

Titu
Bro Tituman.. steady.. no hard feelings.. just hoping to see more encouragement for ppl to post and contribute to keep the forum alive lah...
I mean unless you follow certain threads closely, no one knows Darren is ex-national golfer, and who knows maybe even an ex-national golfer might be able to gain some minor insights from everyone since he asked in the first place. Peace

No hard feelings hor.. let's have a game one of these days.. Beer

No problem SS as we were once from the same roost. But I think you know what i was honestly trying to say la. Of course there are good tips here and there. I myself learnt invaluable lessons from friends teaching me what to do too, just like your invaluable tips on " HIT HARD LOOK UP" theory WHEN playing with your flightmates who is betting with you. Of course this tip is for your flight mate and not to yourself. I gained priceless lesson there.... kekekkeke lol!

Titu
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 3:26 pm

Birdman wrote:
It's questions and answers like this that benefit everyone in Golf Republic.

Thanks for asking Darren and thanks for the detailed answer Shorthitter.

Two thumbs up to the both of you.

ps - Just how well do you know a bar of soap Shorthitter? I only know to never pick up a dropped bar of soap. ROFL

Hey Birdman, have you seen the advert by Lux with Cindy Crawford bathing with a piece of their soap?? Geee...I don't mind picking up that piece of soap though..kekekke.... lol!

Titu
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 3:34 pm

JonL_TK wrote:
Tituman wrote:

This is an understatement of the year. He is ex-national and just beaten Cyp
75 to 91 and Cyp is an aspiring PGA trainee, Champion of Legends.... just recently. So what do you think? That question is not from a newbie.... lol!

Titu

Bro Titu...

Hope i don't offend you... I have played with DL a couple of times already...
Although he has the credentials of a good player i believe that he and everyone here in the forum
would like to play to their fullest potential...

Whether or not he did "beat" CYP is not the case... I have seen him play and i might not be a scratch
golfer but i feel that he does need to start putting the ball closer on his approach to maximise the chances
of getting his birdies

Hi Jon, think you got me wrong there. I am not saying anything about DL at all. His question is 'genuine' like he said. What I am saying is that we got newbies who just had a couple of lessons from the coach and they think they know all already. That was what my contention is all about. I know I have open a pandora box here but it seems I have seen newbies playing in the hundreds are giving advices. Of course it is up to DL to whether he wants to listen to them or not but.....sigh...... Peace

titu
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
Generally knock down will encourage the golfer to get more compression and hence better impact. A great shot to practice if you are topping or duffing the ball. Swing it shorter and try to hit it lower. Results may surprise you.

*****Most topped and duffed shots come from the golfer trying to hit it high, i.e lifting or scooping the ball from underneath

That is exactly my problem...sigh.....and too lazy to go to practice on it and thus back to square one once again.

titu
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Tituman wrote:
JonL_TK wrote:
Tituman wrote:

This is an understatement of the year. He is ex-national and just beaten Cyp
75 to 91 and Cyp is an aspiring PGA trainee, Champion of Legends.... just recently. So what do you think? That question is not from a newbie.... lol!

Titu

Bro Titu...

Hope i don't offend you... I have played with DL a couple of times already...
Although he has the credentials of a good player i believe that he and everyone here in the forum
would like to play to their fullest potential...

Whether or not he did "beat" CYP is not the case... I have seen him play and i might not be a scratch
golfer but i feel that he does need to start putting the ball closer on his approach to maximise the chances
of getting his birdies

Hi Jon, think you got me wrong there. I am not saying anything about DL at all. His question is 'genuine' like he said. What I am saying is that we got newbies who just had a couple of lessons from the coach and they think they know all already. That was what my contention is all about. I know I have open a pandora box here but it seems I have seen newbies playing in the hundreds are giving advices. Of course it is up to DL to whether he wants to listen to them or not but.....sigh...... Peace

titu
Sorry Titu for misunderstanding you...
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 3:51 pm

Derek wrote:
darenlim wrote:
weesern wrote:

Btw Daren, just curious, but when you miss the pin, do you normally miss it left / right or short / long? Just trying to understand what a good player like yourself goes through.

As for Shorthitter's post, I'll definitely try it out immediately, although at my level, the goal for a 150m shot is probably going to be along the lines of "contact not too fat or thin, +/- 10m long or short and +/- 20m left or right, 7 out of 10 times".

Shorthitter, just one question. In your experience, does it make more sense to take the shots consecutively, or to space them out in between other clubs?

Most of my shots missed are on the left side as I like to always aim left to work the ball left to right.
Maybe I should start aiming straight for it. I am pretty accurate when it comes to distance.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Tituman wrote:

Bro have you been missing reading the recent threads on Darren???

Titu

PS : My sincere apologies if you are playing scratch as I don't know your playing standard and better than lets say 5 over. I would surely love to see a match up between the 2 of you and eagerly await the results if such a match up is done. On the other hand , am quite tired of newbies who had just gone thru a couple of lessons from coaches and start advising what their coach told them. Sorry for the rant. Peace

Titu,

I have not read Darren's post. Neither am I a newbie. I am not offering my coach's advice, though that might actually be better since its from a pro and not amateur.

I don't know what you got against me. maybe better that i don't post too much since "newbies" are not liked in a forum of lao chiaos who all seem to play better than 5 over.
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 4:24 pm

mizzy wrote:
Tituman wrote:

Titu

PS : My sincere apologies if you are playing scratch as I don't know your playing standard and better than lets say 5 over. I would surely love to see a match up between the 2 of you and eagerly await the results if such a match up is done. On the other hand , am quite tired of newbies who had just gone thru a couple of lessons from coaches and start advising what their coach told them. Sorry for the rant. Peace

Titu,

I have not read Darren's post. Neither am I a newbie. I am not offering my coach's advice, though that might actually be better since its from a pro and not amateur.

I don't know what you got against me. maybe better that i don't post too much since "newbies" are not liked in a forum of lao chiaos who all seem to play better than 5 over.

hehe... easy bro... I know you, and you're a very nice guy. Tituman is also a nice man, so I hope it's just a misunderstanding here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 4:31 pm

PEACE....... !!!!!

We have caddy, course marshall etc etc.

I self=nominate myself as the ' half way house UNCLE' .....come come...I buy kopi (restricted to SunTec only).

I play more than 5 over.....in fact I can only play below 130 score...
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks Dave, nothing lah.. just ranting too..
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

darenlim wrote:
Most of my shots missed are on the left side as I like to always aim left to work the ball left to right.
Maybe I should start aiming straight for it. I am pretty accurate when it comes to distance.

Hi Daren,

If possible, can you reveal why you like to work the ball left to right? Curious to know. Hoping to learn more about golf.
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 4:33 pm

daveaha wrote:
mizzy wrote:
Tituman wrote:

Titu

Titu,

hehe... easy bro... I know you, and you're a very nice guy. Tituman is also a nice man, so I hope it's just a misunderstanding here.

I am sure it is a misunderstanding bro, please do not take it to heart Smile
I accept personal opinions from all levels as we must never seek to improve or gain knowledge otherwise the learning process stops and your growth is limited. Whether it is right or wrong, it is debatable, nonetheless please do not discourage yourself from helping/advising Smile
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 4:41 pm

Winston wrote:
darenlim wrote:

Hi Daren,

If possible, can you reveal why you like to work the ball left to right? Curious to know. Hoping to learn more about golf.

The advantage of working the ball left right
- ball lands softly as compare to right to left
this is visible when you hit a longer iron for eg. 5/4/3 the ball normally lands and run for right to left.
It is difficult to keep your ball on the green when the ball has too much action.
- easier to control distance
- able to create more spin and stop the ball faster (with this you are able to attack difficult pin positions)
- i am able to contain my misses when I have a bad shot.

being able to recognize your bad shots is a strength as you will be able to predict your misses.
with that in mind you can plan your shots before execution.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 5:04 pm

Mizzy Quote :

Titu,

I don't know what you got against me. maybe better that i don't post too much since "newbies" are not liked in a forum of lao chiaos who all seem to play better than 5 over.[/quote]

Hi Mizzy, my sincere apologies to you as it was directed at those particular newbies who gave endless advices and not at you in particular. Peace
Here I am, having played for nearly 8 years and it seems I have learnt nothing yet but on the other hand, I see newbies giving advice like they are expert. Even now, every shot I made is just hoping that it will go to where I hope it will go. But thats golf. Go On Learning Forever ! OK if you see me at the Anniversary game, just introduced yourself and you will get a free beer from me okie ???? Peace Swee Boh ????
Titu
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Titu,

Thanks. you are swee! I am a coconut man. so I will ketook you 1 coconut Smile and blanjah you beer.

but i'm not playing the anniversary game Sad
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 5:41 pm

mizzy wrote:
Titu,

Thanks. you are swee! I am a coconut man. so I will ketook you 1 coconut Smile and blanjah you beer.

Sure, no problem bro. Wish could meet up with you and have a game with you in the future. Anytime when you are able to play weekday golf, just shout for me. I will be with you in a jiffy okie??? Beer

Titu
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 5:42 pm

DL:
What margin do you give for error when you aim left (playing a fade) and,
1. the flag is very close to the left
2. the flag is very close to the right
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 5:54 pm

Tituman wrote:
mizzy wrote:
Titu,

Sure, no problem bro. Wish could meet up with you and have a game with you in the future. Anytime when you are able to play weekday golf, just shout for me. I will be with you in a jiffy okie??? Beer

Titu

Becareful of Mizzy wood play. hehe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 6:03 pm

eden wrote:
DL:
What margin do you give for error when you aim left (playing a fade) and,
1. the flag is very close to the left
2. the flag is very close to the right

1. aim for the center of the green and draw the ball. I will not fade in this situation. If my draw goes straight it will still be on the green.
2. aim for the center of the green and fade. normally I aim about 1 pin left of the flag to allow for a fade. If it does not fade, it will still be on the green.

I do not make full shots, most of them are controlled.
It also depends on wind condition.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Wed May 26, 2010 6:13 pm

which one is supposed to be easier and better from 60m out?

- full shot with 60 degree wedge
- 3/4 with the 52 degree wedge

read that 3/4 supposed to be better but i find it easier to hit a full 60 degree (ball also stop near the spot it lands) cause i seldom practice 3/4 shots

my full shot is not exactly full....more like 80-90% of a full turn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?   Today at 11:55 am

Back to top Go down

How do I hit the ball closer to the pin?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next