Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Feel at impact of driver.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Feel at impact of driver.   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi just wanted to post this as recently I have been facing this and I do apologise for the newbie question. Am hoping to get some feedback from GR members here.

I got a Cobra ZL some months back. 9.5*, R, stock shaft. Have not been striking it well until maybe the last week or so. SInce I changed my set-up abit, Have been hitting it better, Trajectory seems to be lower and carry alone seems to be further. This is trough my odservation at the range.

I have also been noticing some thing. At impact, I can feel that either the range ball has suddenly become very soft or the face of the driver seems to "collapse" inwards for a bit causing a concave before the face bounces outwards again. Its not to say as if I can see it but rather this is what i gather from feeling. Sorry if I can't describe it very well.

I know that Tituman uses the Cobra ZL also but he is using a Kajiki shaft. Maybe he can give some feedback

Does anyone have the same feeling as me? or is it because of my technique? Have asked my previous coach and he says, fundamentaly my swing is ok so he dosent know why I feel this way.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: Feel at impact of driver.   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:12 pm

the feeling u have is for the ball to compress upon impact, rather the face collapse lah......


driver is now titanium-faced, one of the lightest but strongest metal around, hard to collapse unless u are one of those long-drive hitters with 120-130mph swing, then the titanium willl face metal fatigue follow by the cracking of the club face....

my swingspwwd abt 100mph n i have yet to crack any of my drivers...
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 6193
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 35
Location : Training

PostSubject: Re: Feel at impact of driver.   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:17 pm

get impact tape or use a non permanent marker and mark a big dot where u should be contacting, swing at the ball, check the club face for impact location against what you felt during the swing.

My guess is on the good swing, it will feel smooth and soft, not much resistance, when you don't hit the sweet spot and probably hit the heel near the hosel or right at the toe, you feel like the club has collapse or twisted through impact.

_________________
Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 10.5* Ahina 60 R
PRGR EGG Spoon 15* MRC Fubuki Alpha 70S
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 19* MRC Fubuki AH R
Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Feel at impact of driver.   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:25 pm

Winston wrote:
Hi just wanted to post this as recently I have been facing this and I do apologise for the newbie question. Am hoping to get some feedback from GR members here.

I got a Cobra ZL some months back. 9.5*, R, stock shaft. Have not been striking it well until maybe the last week or so. SInce I changed my set-up abit, Have been hitting it better, Trajectory seems to be lower and carry alone seems to be further. This is trough my odservation at the range.

I have also been noticing some thing. At impact, I can feel that either the range ball has suddenly become very soft or the face of the driver seems to "collapse" inwards for a bit causing a concave before the face bounces outwards again. Its not to say as if I can see it but rather this is what i gather from feeling. Sorry if I can't describe it very well.

I know that Tituman uses the Cobra ZL also but he is using a Kajiki shaft. Maybe he can give some feedback

Does anyone have the same feeling as me? or is it because of my technique? Have asked my previous coach and he says, fundamentaly my swing is ok so he dosent know why I feel this way.

Hi Winston, honestly speaking I do not have the feeling you have experienced. But I think it was th eball collapsing on the face of the driver rather than the face collapsing on contact with the ball. You can see some high speed videos of how the ball seem to be flattened on impact with the face but so far never hear of what you have described. I used 'experienced' Pro Vs and the impact is wonderful. Maybe it is the muted sound of the ZL which makes you felt like th eface collapsed inward. I like that sound and feel and thats why I bought the ZL. Really loved the combination.

Titu
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Feel at impact of driver.   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:33 pm

Hi Slinger,

Sorry to give a wrong description but the club face is fine. no cracks etc etc. I suspect my swing speed is way wway below 100 mph, most probably below 90 mph.

Hi Eiji,

Thanks, will give it a try. currently have no impact tape but I do wipe the club face each time after I hit to see the impact point.

Hi Titu,

Thanks!! I think so, Maybe with the change in my setup I might be compressing the ball better. hhhmmmm.... Hope the ZL / Kajiki combo is bringing you more GIR.
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 319
Join date : 2010-04-12
Age : 38
Location : Toa Payoh

PostSubject: Re: Feel at impact of driver.   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:49 pm

Can I ask if you meant the feel of "collapse" comes when you hit the ball good and the feel was actually good?
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2668
Join date : 2009-12-23
Age : 35
Location : Pasir Gudang / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Feel at impact of driver.   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:54 pm

eiji wrote:
get impact tape or use a non permanent marker and mark a big dot where u should be contacting, swing at the ball, check the club face for impact location against what you felt during the swing.

My guess is on the good swing, it will feel smooth and soft, not much resistance, when you don't hit the sweet spot and probably hit the heel near the hosel or right at the toe, you feel like the club has collapse or twisted through impact.
Instead of getting impact tape... a cheaper way is to "marinate" your range balls in talcum powder... In this way, it will leave an impact mark on your head
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Feel at impact of driver.   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:55 pm

aural wrote:
Can I ask if you meant the feel of "collapse" comes when you hit the ball good and the feel was actually good?

Yup. Swing nice and smooth
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 319
Join date : 2010-04-12
Age : 38
Location : Toa Payoh

PostSubject: Re: Feel at impact of driver.   Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:02 am

Winston wrote:
aural wrote:
Can I ask if you meant the feel of "collapse" comes when you hit the ball good and the feel was actually good?

Yup. Swing nice and smooth

Then I try to guess it happened when you actually slightly slowed down your down swing and after your setup was changed resulting in a better control of your tempo.

If so, I understand the feel you are talking about in fact I was correcting my own set up, back and down swing yesterday and got that feel too. And it was a good swing feel.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3798
Join date : 2009-10-09
Age : 51
Location : Wherever my feet take me....

PostSubject: Re: Feel at impact of driver.   Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:31 am

JonL_TK wrote:
eiji wrote:
get impact tape or use a non permanent marker and mark a big dot where u should be contacting, swing at the ball, check the club face for impact location against what you felt during the swing.

My guess is on the good swing, it will feel smooth and soft, not much resistance, when you don't hit the sweet spot and probably hit the heel near the hosel or right at the toe, you feel like the club has collapse or twisted through impact.
Instead of getting impact tape... a cheaper way is to "marinate" your range balls in talcum powder... In this way, it will leave an impact mark on your head

Lol, just use masking tape, cheap, easy, and no mess.

Same results as impact tape. Long used by golf shops tp show impact point on the face. Works for all clubs down to putter.
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 788
Join date : 2010-04-20
Location : North 'Gotham City'

PostSubject: Re: Feel at impact of driver.   Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:38 am

sorry, side track a bit. for a 2mth newbie, will ZL or S2 10.5 Loft b more suitable for me? or none of e abv?

cos e reason for asking is tat I'm thinking of getting one to practice n get used to it.
Back to top Go down
hardrock
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2443
Join date : 2009-07-12
Age : 46
Location : Choa Chu Kang

PostSubject: Re: Feel at impact of driver.   Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:35 am

Batman wrote:
sorry, side track a bit. for a 2mth newbie, will ZL or S2 10.5 Loft b more suitable for me? or none of e abv?

cos e reason for asking is tat I'm thinking of getting one to practice n get used to it.

suggest you to go down to fareast shopping center to buy a used driver to practice.. if u go call me along
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Feel at impact of driver.   Today at 2:19 am

Back to top Go down
 
Feel at impact of driver.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Feel at impact of driver.
» Straight Vs Curved
» Which is the best "sounding" driver you played?
» PRGR 2010 Egg Impact PX-01
» Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.