Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Srixon Z-Star

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Srixon Z-Star   Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:06 pm

this ball is in the league of the pro v1 and penta, but cheaper.

it could match the distance of the v1x and cover doesn't scuff as easily. i have a slight suspicion that it does not spin as much as the v1 though.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3798
Join date : 2009-10-09
Age : 51
Location : Wherever my feet take me....

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:12 pm

Bro, you can go the Golf Digest website and see the ball test. There is a chart that tells you which ball spins more. If I remember correctly, the Z-Star doesn't spin as much as the Pro V1.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:18 am

I have a full box of Yellow Z-Star X.

I got intrigued by this ball when I found one Yellow Z Star on the golf course 2 weeks ago and played the rest of the round with 2 or 3 balls comparing it with the Callaway i(z) and Pro V1x.

You are right about the part that it doesn't scuff as easily as the other balls. Because of its unusual translucent cover, You can hardly see any marks at all. Also it feels quite soft especially during putting despite it looking like a range ball.

Distance-wise, I bought the Z Star X because the Z Star is supposedly spinnier and shorter than the i(z) and the V1X. A proper comparison can be given.

I have been loaded with work of late but I promise to give a full report on the Z Star X when I get the chance.

_________________
Stay Thirsty My Friends...
Back to top Go down
scubawun
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 156
Join date : 2010-01-21
Location : Yishun

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:41 am

I went through a ball fitting and was recommended the Srixon Z-Star so i bought a box (white, not yellow) to try....

i am comparing it with my usual premium balls (TP Red & ProV1) and my usual budget ball (Wilson Prostaff).

2nd week into the "testing" so will share my thoughts on it in a while...
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2702
Join date : 2009-12-11
Location : golf club graveyard

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:31 pm

S70B wrote:
I have a full box of Yellow Z-Star X.

You are right about the part that it doesn't scuff as easily as the other balls. Because of its unusual translucent cover, You can hardly see any marks at all. Also it feels quite soft especially during putting despite it looking like a range ball.

Rex, there is a translucent layer on the cover or the actual cover seems translucent?

the reviews don't mention something about that.. and that the yellow ball is exactly the same as the white ball.. aiyah you make me so curious to go and buy both just to have a look and try them ouy..
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3469
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 41
Location : Live beside the King

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:49 pm

just played with it today. lasted almost up to 18th hole.
scuff marks thats look like crack line after 14th holes.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:34 am

mizzy wrote:

Rex, there is a translucent layer on the cover or the actual cover seems translucent?

the reviews don't mention something about that.. and that the yellow ball is exactly the same as the white ball.. aiyah you make me so curious to go and buy both just to have a look and try them ouy..

The cover doesn't look like the typical range ball yellow.

Here is the one I found. Went thru 2 x 9 holes trial.

Scuff marks barely visible.





Notice the luminosity-like of the ball cover in the 2nd pic.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2702
Join date : 2009-12-11
Location : golf club graveyard

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:55 pm

wow, thanks for thaking the picture of the ball. looks like an apple/lemon color big lollipop.. your camera skill bagus! great details.

the ball seems to be able to take some pounding, knowing your swing speed and how good you play.

Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:14 pm

Honestly, I will be lying to u if I said I wasn't a wee bit embarassed to be using this ball at 1st.

But overall, the performance has been decent. I would say its just shy of the league consisting of the Pro V1, Penta or the Callaway i series. At USD$6 less per dozen, its a pretty good deal for that kind of price. Its damn good enuff for spin, distance and feel, probably perform at about 95% of those premium ones.

The main pro of using it is, u hardly have to mark ur ball since at this moment, not many other golfers use them. Laughing

_________________
Stay Thirsty My Friends...
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1255
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 99
Location : Teban Garden

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:46 pm

USD$6 per dozen for the Z-Star? Chun bo? Suspect
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2702
Join date : 2009-12-11
Location : golf club graveyard

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:49 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
USD$6 per dozen for the Z-Star? Chun bo? Suspect

USD$6 LESS per doz bro.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1255
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 99
Location : Teban Garden

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:03 pm

mizzy wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:
USD$6 per dozen for the Z-Star? Chun bo? Suspect

USD$6 LESS per doz bro.

Hehe....selective reading..... clown
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:05 pm

i find that the z-star is more suitable for me than the pro v; will also try out the z-star x
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Birdman wrote:
Bro, you can go the Golf Digest website and see the ball test. There is a chart that tells you which ball spins more. If I remember correctly, the Z-Star doesn't spin as much as the Pro V1.





bro, apparently the z-star's spin rate is up there with the pro v
Back to top Go down
scubawun
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 156
Join date : 2010-01-21
Location : Yishun

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:32 am

played 3 rounds with the Z-Star. My usual ball is the ProV1

here's the rundown, not very scientific but based on my independent personal observations. no way affiliated to Titleist or Srixon!

your results may differ!

Z-Star (white)

Distance
- Driver: a little longer than ProV1, perhaps approx on the average 5m more
- Irons: a little longer than ProV1, perhaps approx 2m more
- 19deg 3Hybrid: no discernable difference

Accuracy
- dispersion is nice & tight. comparable to Pro V1 across all clubs

Wedge, short game
- wow. i thought it was a little "spinnier" than the Pro V1 from the way it checks up on the greens from bunkers and rough
- no way inferior to ProV1 in this aspect

Feel
- probably the most subjective element
- feels like a harder ball than ProV1 off all clubs. i was surprised cos I was expecting it to be soft based on the super thin cover....hmmm
- off the putter, it tracks true but i prefer the feel of the ProV1. softer. i like soft.

Durability
- hands down, Z-Star holds up better than Pro V1

Cost
- Z-Star is about $60 a box vs well, you know the Pro V1 prices....

my decision:
- i will stick to the ProV1 as i prefer the feel of the Pro V1 off my putter. personal preference i guess
- i will also keep a sleeve of Z Stars around in my bag simply because the performance is comparable to ProV1 and it is cheaper and really more durable!

Conclusion
- Z-star is a great great ball from Srixon, an able ball to take on the ProV1 for sure.
- Sometimes, feel is very subjective and this could just make all the difference.
- Helps that Z-star is also much cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Ron Lee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 184
Join date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:44 am

guys, where can i get AD333 for 20bucks?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 6193
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 35
Location : Training

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:59 am

Ron Lee wrote:
guys, where can i get AD333 for 20bucks?

thats a US chart, the prices are in USD
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
garfield
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 217
Join date : 2009-09-13
Location : Latitude: 1º22´ North of the Equator, Longitude: 103º48´ East of Greenwich

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:13 pm

AD333 - Transview S$26 for box of 12. Don't know where else is cheaper. Heard that there is a parallel importer but don't know where or who.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:12 pm

scubawun wrote:
played 3 rounds with the Z-Star. My usual ball is the ProV1

here's the rundown, not very scientific but based on my independent personal observations. no way affiliated to Titleist or Srixon!

your results may differ!

Z-Star (white)

Distance
- Driver: a little longer than ProV1, perhaps approx on the average 5m more
- Irons: a little longer than ProV1, perhaps approx 2m more
- 19deg 3Hybrid: no discernable difference

Accuracy
- dispersion is nice & tight. comparable to Pro V1 across all clubs

Wedge, short game
- wow. i thought it was a little "spinnier" than the Pro V1 from the way it checks up on the greens from bunkers and rough
- no way inferior to ProV1 in this aspect

Feel
- probably the most subjective element
- feels like a harder ball than ProV1 off all clubs. i was surprised cos I was expecting it to be soft based on the super thin cover....hmmm
- off the putter, it tracks true but i prefer the feel of the ProV1. softer. i like soft.

Durability
- hands down, Z-Star holds up better than Pro V1

Cost
- Z-Star is about $60 a box vs well, you know the Pro V1 prices....

my decision:
- i will stick to the ProV1 as i prefer the feel of the Pro V1 off my putter. personal preference i guess
- i will also keep a sleeve of Z Stars around in my bag simply because the performance is comparable to ProV1 and it is cheaper and really more durable!

Conclusion
- Z-star is a great great ball from Srixon, an able ball to take on the ProV1 for sure.
- Sometimes, feel is very subjective and this could just make all the difference.
- Helps that Z-star is also much cheaper.

nice review bro.

i tried the z-star x, dun like it.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2702
Join date : 2009-12-11
Location : golf club graveyard

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:16 pm

Played the Z Star and Z Star X and here are my thoughts..

Driver
Z star spins more than Z Star X, lost a little distance as a result. Both feels solid and soft at impact. Same as ProV1 and V1X i guess.

Long Irons
Z Star's spin helps me get the ball up and stops on the green. the Z Star X didn't stop as fast. Both balls feel as soft as the ProV1.

Short Irons
Both hop and stop for me. I prefer a little roll out on chips to get to the hole but the Z Star just stops too quickly. Have to play a longer chip.

Durability
Surprised that Z Star X is not as durable as Z Star.. the X scuffs more and looks worse for wear. Z Star still holds up nicely.

Putting
Just didn't feel the same as a ProV1. Both a little clicky. Distance control was ok.

Conclusion
Other than off the putter, I have no complains about the performance, though I prefer the X off the driver and chips, I like the Z Star for everything else.
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2789
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 31
Location : In YOUR fairway...

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:22 pm

oh... thank you for the reviews... i was just about to game them next week... now i know what to look out for...
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:32 am

idol was using the yellow z-star x today, it stands out prominently in the fairway and you can spot it from far.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:45 am

S70B wrote:
mizzy wrote:

Rex, there is a translucent layer on the cover or the actual cover seems translucent?

the reviews don't mention something about that.. and that the yellow ball is exactly the same as the white ball.. aiyah you make me so curious to go and buy both just to have a look and try them ouy..

The cover doesn't look like the typical range ball yellow.

Here is the one I found. Went thru 2 x 9 holes trial.

Scuff marks barely visible.





Notice the luminosity-like of the ball cover in the 2nd pic.

bought a box of yellow z-star x and used 1 yesterday.

I did not notice any scuff mark on the ball but it could be due to my poor skill. it's quite water-averse though :p

will probably use them again tomorrow
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:53 pm

transview now having promotion, buy 2 boxes and get 2 sleeves free
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3469
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 41
Location : Live beside the King

PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:24 pm

1 think for sure, I putt better with z-star.
Z star driver also very cool. Have got iPhone apps to assist in adjusting the driver to suit your swing. But am confuse now on which setup is suitable for me as there are around 48 setup.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Srixon Z-Star   Today at 7:58 am

Back to top Go down
 
Srixon Z-Star
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Srixon Z-Star Driver
» Srixon Z-Star
» Srixon Q Star
» I am really looking fwd to 2011
» Congrats to Regina on her Soaring Star award

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Pro Shop :: Equipment Reviews-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.