Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Which blade should I try???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Thread Nice

I was just searching up about blades and I could see fellow experts giving your feedbacks! Find it really helpful... now tempting to look for demo clubs... I wonder where I can find some...tsk tsk...
scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:48 pm

good points, S70B.

The King Cobra ProMB was the hardest blade to play when I got them with the S300 shaft. After my fitter in Dubai swopped me over to PX5.0, they have become EXTREMELY friendly... that said, given how things are in Singapore, it's really hard to find a place where you can comprehensively test out different head/shaft combinations. Sad
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:48 pm

Only expert here is S70B. I'm just a blade slut Razz
Back to top Go down
ginn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:50 pm

dont forget repeatable swing...
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:07 pm

S70B wrote:
WMF, I think he meant the X-Protos not the X Forged.

For me, I have only hit 4 diff brands of blades this year:

- Mizuno MP68s
- Muira Blade 2007
- Callaway X-Prototype.
- Adams Idea Pro Black MBs

I have had the opportunity to have hit them in the same shaft offering and same lie angle. To be honest, the difference in feel will have a mixture of placebo effect and subconscious biasness thrown in. However, they are all pretty good.

For the X-protos, my 1st dally into it was in 2008. Back then, they were goin for USD$1500 in PX shafts. I managed to demo them a couple of times and wasn't impressed with the club.

Fast forward to 2009 where I went for the Fuzion Golf fitting in Jupiter and the fitter passed me the same club in 3 offerings: DG, DG Black gold and KBS. Having the slight biasness that they were already not that great with the previous experience, I was blown away by how different it felt among all 3. The KBS was pure in every true form.

The (still)USD $1500 price tag turned me away as I found a good substitute in the Mizzy MP68s with similar shafts. They are very good on their own and I must say that they are probably a set where the mid handicappers can also handle given the more forgiving nature of their sole camber n radius.

Now that the TA X-protos can be had for much less, I could not resist the offer to grab them. Goin to Callaway for the fitting, the KBS fitted me the best again and when the set finally arrived, they haven't disappointed me in the games I have had with them.

My advice is that when you are gonna try clubs, they need to be in a shaft that is suitable for you. Grabbing an off-the-rack club with the stock NS Pro or DGR300 shaft and asking the salesman to slap some masking tape on is not going to give u accurate results. Mizunos and Titleist now have fitting carts and 1 shd not be shy to go try them no matter the skill level. Its your hard earned money that you are spending so do it with care.

I also learnt (the hard way) that no matter how 'bad' a club feels, a good clubfitter can turn it into your best friend if you get it fitted to your specs.

Lastly, if you wanna go to blades, the 3-5iron might be a stretch to hit consistently for most. If Sg doesn't have a combo offering, you can consider gettin hybrids to replace them.

PS: A good fitter is very impt. I tried my colleague's MP67s in KBS X and they felt livlier and whippier than my own set of 68s with only a KBS S flex.

Couldn't have put it better. However, you also need to know that not all sales rep understand the trick of the trade. Not all of them understand fitting thoroughly!
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Say, did any of you guys get to try that new Mizuno shaft fitting system?
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Seems like I should change to KBS shaft too since idol using that....
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:25 pm

I did. But, as always, I got a mind of my own and went on to fit myself with something entirely different. Gave me confidence and hit it well!
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Its not about being an expert mates, its about the long learning process which I went thru. If you read up enuff and also hit enuff clubs, you will have found it out the same way as I did. Laughing

I did do the Mizuno shaft optimizer just for the fun of it and the results were pretty spot on for me: Either KBS S, PX 5.5 or DGS300, all untipped.

Ultimately, there isn't a hard and fast rule stating that blades are for better players and beginners shd use GI. I started with my father's hand-me-downs which were some dunno-what-brand blades but back then, cavity backs were not something so common. Howver, easier-to-hit clubs today will definitely 'up' your enjoyment level and ease your passage into the game.

As much as KBS is a pretty solid offering, it might not be for everyone. The same colleague with the MP67s shafted w KBS X went to a demo day with me and found that PX 6.5 gave him the best ball flight and distances after fiiting. Its what suits your swing.

One thing I found out with blades - the Swingwights tend to be about 3/4 or 1/2 point less than a players cavity back or a GI when measured even with the same shaft without any weight added into the hosel. Some headweights are slightly less than their CB counterparts. Thats why ppl like the tour slut here insist on Tour-issue items. Razz I think thats also why you see pros slap on lead tape just to get them heavier.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:07 pm

The Mizuno MP14s are pretty forgiving for a set of blades, and this was first made in 1989 if i am not wrong. I am current switching between the MP14s and MX200s

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
hoelwill
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Eiji they r both heaven n hell different..why a switch like that..choose a side la.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:34 pm

haven't really decided which set i am playing better.

They are pretty even, because i am a crap iron player, good at range can't hit for nuts on course, tempted to switch to blades full time soon, cause i ain't hitting the mx200 much better, although on mishits its straighter and less jarring on the hands.

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:46 pm

My Journey
I am playing MP32 blade for many years but I don't know how to shape shot and struggling to play it straight Embarassed
I have tried some of the cavity back but end up still go back to my MP32. cyclops

My Opinion
If you are looking for forgiving blade, Ikasu blade is the most forgiving one I have tried.
If you are looking for feel, all blade provide very good feedback and I can't really tell the different between them. pig
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:51 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
My Journey
I am playing MP32 blade for many years but I don't know how to shape shot and struggling to play it straight Embarassed
I have tried some of the cavity back but end up still go back to my MP32. cyclops

My Opinion
If you are looking for forgiving blade, Ikasu blade is the most forgiving one I have tried.
If you are looking for feel, all blade provide very good feedback and I can't really tell the different between them. pig

Funny, 'coz I didn't find the Ikasu blade more forgiving than the Mizuno... Should go and give them some more whacking the next time I visit the Den.
Back to top Go down
Genesis
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:19 am

jtek wrote:
Hi All,

Been reading about blade and it shot shaping capability vs my TM Tour Burner Irons, so brain been cracking to get a set of blade to try.

Any more forgiving blade to recommend so that I can shop around for it?

Thanks...

Sorry, not to pour cold water on you.. I've this perception before..In the end I find the swing , judgement and body condition are the vital component for every games played on the courses. Changing equipment may help , but it best to get the professional advise what need to improve itself. Lastly we hope to enjoy each game with kakis and getting a good score also..
Back to top Go down
D_Iceman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:56 am

S70B wrote:
Its not about being an expert mates, its about the long learning process which I went thru. If you read up enuff and also hit enuff clubs, you will have found it out the same way as I did. Laughing

I did do the Mizuno shaft optimizer just for the fun of it and the results were pretty spot on for me: Either KBS S, PX 5.5 or DGS300, all untipped.

Ultimately, there isn't a hard and fast rule stating that blades are for better players and beginners shd use GI. I started with my father's hand-me-downs which were some dunno-what-brand blades but back then, cavity backs were not something so common. Howver, easier-to-hit clubs today will definitely 'up' your enjoyment level and ease your passage into the game.

As much as KBS is a pretty solid offering, it might not be for everyone. The same colleague with the MP67s shafted w KBS X went to a demo day with me and found that PX 6.5 gave him the best ball flight and distances after fiiting. Its what suits your swing.

One thing I found out with blades - the Swingwights tend to be about 3/4 or 1/2 point less than a players cavity back or a GI when measured even with the same shaft without any weight added into the hosel. Some headweights are slightly less than their CB counterparts. Thats why ppl like the tour slut here insist on Tour-issue items. Razz I think thats also why you see pros slap on lead tape just to get them heavier.

Rex, I totally agree with you on the "there isn't a hard and fast rule stating that blades are for better players and beginners shd use GI." I recently bought a set of Miura Circle K Tournament blades and fitted them with DG S400 Tour Issued shafts. You should have seen the look on Joey's face when I turned up for lesson last week with this set. While he was pretty worried to even try them out, he did after he saw me hitting them as well as I did compared to my Miura CB-301 cavity backs. His comments are that it's pretty damn nice. I went for the blades because like you I like to try new equipment. haha Twisted Evil

Anyway my review on the Miura blades is that it makes no difference even with a high handicapper like me. The face of the blades is not as tiny near the hosel as the Titleist MB and Mizzie MP-32 I've tried. It looks intimidating at address but when you hit it, it feels like any cavity backs. The feel is buttery as most Miura clubs are which is what got me started playing them in the first place. I've taken the 4 & 5 iron out and replaced it with the 4 & 5 irons from my cavity back set. Not that I can't hit them but just that I can't hit them well and find greater consistency with the cavity backs. I'm not sure if the local dealers offer the combi option but I have the luxury of owning 2 sets thus went with this option.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:51 pm

Dom, I tried the Muira Blade 2007 here and am really blown away by the ease of its use too. The baby blades doesn't look as good though.

I tried the S400s but they were pretty heavy even for me where I like my shafts slightly heavier. The X100s were money for my Ikasus though.

Good that you swapped out the long irons mate. I also play a combo when I am using my Mizunos and am contemplating sticking to my MP58s for the 3-5 then 6-P for the X-protos. Razz

Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:01 pm

S70B wrote:
Dom, I tried the Muira Blade 2007 here and am really blown away by the ease of its use too. The baby blades doesn't look as good though.

I tried the S400s but they were pretty heavy even for me where I like my shafts slightly heavier. The X100s were money for my Ikasus though.

Good that you swapped out the long irons mate. I also play a combo when I am using my Mizunos and am contemplating sticking to my MP58s for the 3-5 then 6-P for the X-protos. Razz

I actually like the look for the baby blades especially the Circle K ones with the "1957" logo below.

But I went for the Tournament Blades as it's much easier to it. Laughing

As for the shafts, despite the weight, i felt i swing smoother. Surprising to hear you're playing combo as well, I'm sure there's nothing you can't hit pure. tongue
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:13 pm

S70B, how is the Adams Idea Pro Black MBs?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:36 pm

I din get to try the ones with the '1957' logo but just the normal ones. Its not the size thats intimidating but the club at address looks way too triangular for my taste. Good choice for the normal tournament blades.

Wessern, the Adams Idea Pro Black MB is......surprisingly very very good. This whole line from Adams is very under-rated (I under-rated them too as well before hitting them). Its quite soft, quite forgiving and most imptly, quite affordable ( I think its 799 or 899 here). Its just that its not that great in terms of popularity and resale.

The weight port at the back is inter-changeable to either heavier or lighter weights although I dun think u can find that option in Sg.

If you prefer CBs, go for the CB1s. They are the same line as what Tom Watson plays. The ball flight is high and they are quite soft as well. Even the CB2s with slightly more offset and bigger face is a joy to hit with too. Not too GI-looking and quite nice.

The only thing about this line is that the black finish doesn't hold up too well after abit of usage.

Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:57 pm

Thanks, your comment on the finish make me think twice about it.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:05 pm

How come no one mention about Nike VR TW blade? I am using the stock shaft - DG300. The feel is pretty good especially if you can hit the sweet spot. I have also tried the MP68. In my personal opinion, the latter is a tad better ... The good thing about bladed iron is that you get direct feedback. On impact, one would likely know if they have a good or bad shot. Contrary to popular believe, I don't need to use alot of power to hit a bladed iron. Accuracy and control (besides shot shaping) are the primary reasons why ppl use bladed irons. Please feel free to comment if you think otherwise ...

Last edited by Turbo on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:32 pm

S70B wrote:

I really don't like any of the Miuras I've tried so far. I think, for the price, it is overrated.

I am playing MP combos right now, MP58 in 4-6 and MP68 in 7-PW. Comparing the feel, the MP68s feels much softer at impact. I should have just get a set of MP68s, actually. The long irons are not that punishing, either.
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:35 pm

S70B wrote:
I din get to try the ones with the '1957' logo but just the normal ones. Its not the size thats intimidating but the club at address looks way too triangular for my taste. Good choice for the normal tournament blades.

Wessern, the Adams Idea Pro Black MB is......surprisingly very very good. This whole line from Adams is very under-rated (I under-rated them too as well before hitting them). Its quite soft, quite forgiving and most imptly, quite affordable ( I think its 799 or 899 here). Its just that its not that great in terms of popularity and resale.

The weight port at the back is inter-changeable to either heavier or lighter weights although I dun think u can find that option in Sg.

If you prefer CBs, go for the CB1s. They are the same line as what Tom Watson plays. The ball flight is high and they are quite soft as well. Even the CB2s with slightly more offset and bigger face is a joy to hit with too. Not too GI-looking and quite nice.

The only thing about this line is that the black finish doesn't hold up too well after abit of usage.

Have you got the CB1s and CB2s in Singapore? I agree, the Adams line has been superb lately. Especially the hybrids and fairway woods. I can say that they are one of the best in the market right now!

The black finish on the current CB models are actually much more durable than the previous model. The a4 irons in black finish (tour only?, not available in retail?) are a joke! The current CB lines hold up pretty well...
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Turbo wrote:
How come no on mention about Nike VR TW blade? I am using the stock shaft - DG300. The feel is pretty good especially if you can hit the sweet spot. I have also tried the MP68. In my personal opinion, the latter is a tad better ... The good thing about bladed iron is that you get direct feedback. On impact, one would likely know if they have a good or bad shot. Contrary to popular believe, I don't need to use alot of power to hit a bladed iron. Accuracy and control (besides shot shaping) are the primary reasons why ppl use bladed irons. Please do correct me if you think otherwise ...

I found Nike's blade is like a cult. Some loves it, some loathes it. My Dad gets down to a single handicap playing these Nikes. He bought it the next morning right after he watched Tiger played a bogey-free round with it! When he switched to MP33s, my younger brother gets to play the Nikes. He likes it and hit them well. But I know a lot of people who has trouble hitting it and ended up selling it dirt cheap!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which blade should I try???   Today at 2:53 pm

Back to top Go down

Which blade should I try???
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next