Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Too much back spin in drives?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:07 pm

Tituman wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
haha..next time can use driver for chipping liao...landed and back spin...haha !!!

Bro, that don't sound funny. Not one bit Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

sir..my apology..... Peace Peace
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:17 pm

Derek wrote:
Tituman wrote:
Derek wrote:
The only time I've see a driver back spin was at screen golf when a friend of mine went completely under the ball, launched it straight up in the air, travelled about 90m then backspin 2m ....

Derek, 90 % of my drives spin backwards. Thats why I am still a *seasoned beginner*. And thats because my right wrist don't roll over the left at point of impact.

Wow ... learn something new every day.

Bro Titu, your understanding is that because you striking down on the ball (sort of like a long iron stroke) it is causing the backspin?

I might want to give that a try just to see what happens, would be a useful shot to have in the bag.

Well Derek, maybe I used the word wrongly there. Think I should used *bounced* backward rather than spin backward. I believe my smash factor which smack at the ball downward rather than sweep through the ball causes the tremendous backward spin. Thats why the trajectory of my ball after being hit will go forward and immediately start lifting upwards. Thats my bad for being self taught totally. I am not talking about a *skied* ball. I have tried hitting by turning my wrist as taught by the pros, but it just doesn't work too well for me even though it added a nice draw to it. Could be because I have been hitting this way all the time that I am able to maximise it. As regard the spin back or rather bounced backward, It is much more pronounced on softer ground. Of course on hard ground, how much back spin your ball have also will bounced forward due to the forward momentum of the ball.
And a note to those who think that it is time to let people know they are a joker by saying using the driver to hit back spin on the green, please show me how and I promised you that you can call me anytime to witness and demonstrate your skill. However, I can demonstrate to him how to use a driver to putt/chip from the outskirt of the green if he so wanted. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:23 pm

And a note to those who think that it is time to let people know they are a joker by saying using the driver to hit back spin on the green, please show me how and I promised you that you can call me anytime to witness and demonstrate your skill. However, I can demonstrate to him how to use a driver to putt/chip from the outskirt of the green if he so wanted. Twisted Evil [/quote]

sir..i hope this statement is not refering to me
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:31 pm

according to an article from trackman, how much spin generated will depend on the spin loft, not directly related to angle of attack....
Back to top Go down
kg7068
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 688
Join date : 2009-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Tituman wrote:
Derek wrote:
Tituman wrote:
Derek wrote:
The only time I've see a driver back spin was at screen golf when a friend of mine went completely under the ball, launched it straight up in the air, travelled about 90m then backspin 2m ....

Derek, 90 % of my drives spin backwards. Thats why I am still a *seasoned beginner*. And thats because my right wrist don't roll over the left at point of impact.

Wow ... learn something new every day.

Bro Titu, your understanding is that because you striking down on the ball (sort of like a long iron stroke) it is causing the backspin?

I might want to give that a try just to see what happens, would be a useful shot to have in the bag.

Well Derek, maybe I used the word wrongly there. Think I should used *bounced* backward rather than spin backward. I believe my smash factor which smack at the ball downward rather than sweep through the ball causes the tremendous backward spin. Thats why the trajectory of my ball after being hit will go forward and immediately start lifting upwards. Thats my bad for being self taught totally. I am not talking about a *skied* ball. I have tried hitting by turning my wrist as taught by the pros, but it just doesn't work too well for me even though it added a nice draw to it. Could be because I have been hitting this way all the time that I am able to maximise it. As regard the spin back or rather bounced backward, It is much more pronounced on softer ground. Of course on hard ground, how much back spin your ball have also will bounced forward due to the forward momentum of the ball.
And a note to those who think that it is time to let people know they are a joker by saying using the driver to hit back spin on the green, please show me how and I promised you that you can call me anytime to witness and demonstrate your skill. However, I can demonstrate to him how to use a driver to putt/chip from the outskirt of the green if he so wanted. Twisted Evil

Hello Mr Spideyman, I share your point though I didnt follow this thread. There are some high spin drivers and low spin driver. U didnt use the word wrongly. By saying spin too much with drivers, golfers who invested much on equipments know what u saying. I know G15 is high spin while Bridgestone J33R is proven low spin. Ask Raymond lah. However, a low spin driver wont be effective on soft ground. Satisfaction derived when u hit a gd shot with a low spin driver onto a hard ground and see the ball keeping rolling forward and forward and vice-cersa when u use a high spin driver - F fed up the ball hit the ground and berhenti.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:34 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
Tituman wrote:

Think you are wrong there bro. When you hit down with your driver, which is my case, the ball back spin during its flight. Of course you do spin your ball with the driver. Otherwise asked yourself why some people sliced? It is because of the side spin effect that the slice or hook comes about.

Interesting theory... try catching the impact during the upswing instead of the downswing... maybe that would help?

Spinning of the ball for driver yes... but to generate enough spin on the ball to resist the forward momentum of a driver and causes backspin upon landing... may be asking abit too much of the ball... Shocked

Alvin, my bad used of word/description. Should be bounced backward and I sincerely believed it was due to the ball backspinning. I have tried the *top spin* or catching the ball on the upswing too and it did produced a pretty nice draw but at this point of my game, I am quite satisfied with what I have to enjoy a friendly game regardless of scores but just enjoying the company. But could you visualise this picture. A forward spinning ball when landed, because of its topspin motion, the ball will strived to continue its natural momentum which is going forward even after it hit the ground, be it hard or soft. But a back spinning ball, on hitting the ground, its natural reaction, due to its back spinning action, would be spinning backwards right ? especially hitting softer ground getting into a plug situation, the back spinning will caused it to bounced back. Thats how I see it. Hitting hard ground, the back spin will not be effective at all as the momentum of the ball which is forward despite back spinning will bounced forward. Am I confusing you? Am I boring you with my not so powderful england ?Sleep
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:50 pm

To further add on, if your ball trajectory is low boring type, which I personally admired but can never ever achieved, your ball, despite whatever spin backward or forward will always run forward on hitting the ground. But a back spinning ball, the trajectory will always lift the ball upwards at the later stage of its flight and it will reached its peak at the top and will dropped more or less in a straight line down. In this case, the ball with its strong back spin still intact, don't you think the ball will bounced/spinned backwards on hiiting the ground? I experienced this on most of my drives. Even visualising it theoretically, it should be as I described.
Back to top Go down
blackice88
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 13
Join date : 2010-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Why not have your backspin rate measured? i used to have a back spin rate of 3500- 4000 for my driver & the ball doesnt run. it just drop dead on landing. The spin rate is ideally 2500 - 3000 i reckon. now i have it reduced by picking the ball up during the upswing and not chopping it down like an iron shot... cheers
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:38 pm

blackice88 wrote:
Why not have your backspin rate measured? i used to have a back spin rate of 3500- 4000 for my driver & the ball doesnt run. it just drop dead on landing. The spin rate is ideally 2500 - 3000 i reckon. now i have it reduced by picking the ball up during the upswing and not chopping it down like an iron shot... cheers

HI blackice88, now could you back me up and tell the bros here what i have been saying is for real and not a fiction? Even joked at Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Today at 2:05 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Too much back spin in drives?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Too much back spin in drives?
» Falcon AMC 20T clutch back plate removal
» Left Back Needed
» Axle Back Exhaust -- Comments please!!
» The Man Who Steals Back Boats For A Living

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.