Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi all,

I need advise on this. I am using 3 wedges of 50 *, 54*-14 b and 58*-10b (* loft / b bounce degree)

Since I have just replaced a new set of iron and there is a G wedge of 49* and I always wanted to get a 60* wedge.

If I wanted to replace both my present 54* and 58* wedges .. should I replace them with 56* and 60* ?

Having 49* .. 56*-8 ... 60*-7 wedges keeping this gap is it okay ?

I understand it is very personal for what loft or bounce on wedges .. open their face during address will change their loft too .... However, whatever comments from you will great appreciated. Thx

Smile
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:22 pm

I think for distance comparison, a 52 or a 53 will be just nice. And you can still keep your 58.
Back to top Go down
ruebenlim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:26 pm

Yep agree, maybe just need to change your 50 to a 52 since you have a GW which is at 49.

So maybe you can play 52/8 or 10b as AW, your 54-14 as SW and your 58-10 as LW, then you have a complete set liao! Very swee! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm

duffader wrote:
I think for distance comparison, a 52 or a 53 will be just nice. And you can still keep your 58.

Thanks duffader .... but I wanted to have a 60* wedges but do not wanted to carry more than 3 wedges in my bag .. so how ?? scratch
Back to top Go down
X-Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Would your problem be solved if you get a 62 degree wedge?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:29 pm

I dun think need a 54.... too close. take out one wedge and maybe increase another long distance club.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:32 pm

X-Man wrote:
Would your problem be solved if you get a 62 degree wedge?

No sir, I do not think I am good enough to hit a 62 degree wedge as yet.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Pak Slicer,

I also using Cobra S2, The only additional club I bought is a 56-10. Use it for sand wedge. Was thinking of getting a 60* but dont think it will work for me. The distance gap between my G and 56 is about 15-20Y but then it has do with more my swing than anything else.

I once saw a guy at the range and I sneaked a peek into his bag. he has 48/52/56/60/64 affraid

so i guess it is something personal.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:09 pm

Maybe he can hitter the ball soooo long that having more wedges are more useful for him...
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:17 pm

Thank you for comment guys but I am still confused on what to do ...

Save money : Add a 52* to my present 49, 54 & 58 and cover most distance and lies. WILL HAVE 49, 52, 54 & 58 ... BUT the gap distance will be rather short ..

Like to own a 60* : Add a 60* and 56* wedge to my present 49* & 54* WILL HAVE 49, 54, 56 & 60 ( sell the 58* ) .. the gap between the 54* and 56* are rather close

Spend more money : Add a 60*, 56* and 52* to my present 49* WILL HAVE 49*, 52* 56* and 60* .. Good gap distance 4 degree from each wedges (sell the 54* & 58* wedges)

confused scratch
Back to top Go down
X-Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:22 pm

Slicer51 wrote:

Spend more money : Add a 60*, 56* and 52* to my present 49* WILL HAVE 49*, 52* 56* and 60* .. Good gap distance 4 degree from each wedges (sell the 54* & 58* wedges)

confused scratch

Best choice is to get the above though cost more...
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:52 pm

Bro, if I'm u, I'll replace e 58 w 60 n keep e rest. Reason being tat we aren't pro. 2 deg won't make much diff for me. In theory, wedges shld b 4 deg fr each other.
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Currently

Holding

PW - GW - LW
45 - 52 - 60

I am looking for a SW, would 56 suffice to gap up the distance?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
Hi all,

I need advise on this. I am using 3 wedges of 50 *, 54*-14 b and 58*-10b (* loft / b bounce degree)

Since I have just replaced a new set of iron and there is a G wedge of 49* and I always wanted to get a 60* wedge.

If I wanted to replace both my present 54* and 58* wedges .. should I replace them with 56* and 60* ?

Having 49* .. 56*-8 ... 60*-7 wedges keeping this gap is it okay ?

I understand it is very personal for what loft or bounce on wedges .. open their face during address will change their loft too .... However, whatever comments from you will great appreciated. Thx

Smile

Bro, many people play the shorter distances many different ways, just whether they plan it or not. Since you mention that you want to play only 3 wedges, perhaps I can give you my personal view as I am also an advocate of just 3 wedges rather than 4. I'd rather leave space for my driver, three and five woods (since I am not a long hitter), a 3 hybrid, followed by the rest of the irons.

I play a 46 deg PW, 56 deg SW and 60 deg LW, which I find more than sufficient for 105m and below. I don't find the need for a gap wedge to fill the 10 deg difference between my PW and SW because I try to leave myself full distances for all my wedges plus or minus a few metres.

To me, the variety of chip and flop shots I can execute with the SW and LW is more important than having equal distance gaps between my wedges, which is why I prefer a 56 deg SW and 60 deg LW, I find them more versatile out of the bunkers and around the greens. More often than not we have to chip or flop from some funky lie, rather than have a full shot in to the green with a wedge right?

For full wedge shots in to the green, I try to leave myself a comfortable 105m (PW) 75m (SW) 60m (LW). If I make a mistake and leave myself anything in between, I take care of it by a grip down full swing (easier to execute and same as three quarter swing) or half wedge swing, to cover all the variety of distance gaps in between my full wedge shots.

I usually play running chips with my 56 deg SW and all other chips and flops with my LW. My reasoning is that more loft allows me to be more aggressive with the chips rather than have to baby them. My experience with trying to baby chips is that I either top or duff them. Also with a more aggressive swing, I get more spin, which again allows me to be also more aggressive to throw the ball at the pin if I have good control on that day, since I know that the ball will grab and bite near where it lands (hopefully near the pin), leaving little or no guess work on how much my ball will roll after landing.

I play most bunker shots with my 60 deg LW as well, it gives more than enough height to clear most or all bunkers, even the infamous pot bunkers of MBGC. Again, the higher loft means I can play the face almost square and don't have to manipulate and open the face much, confusing my shot and body alignment. I don't have to worry about clearing the bunker lip, and I can concentrate on a more aggressive swing for shot stopping spin. I only use the 56 deg SW for long bunker shots.

As for bounce, if most of the courses you play have sand based fairways and soft bunker sand, then have more bounce in your SW and LW, if not, firmer fairways and sand, medium (standard) bounce will be more versatile to open up the face for flop shots. Also not too wide a sole, or cannot play shots from tight lies with little grass.

There are those that prefer to play low running shots for chips and they have their own system, be it one swing with anything up to a five iron, or just a PW with different swings. Perhaps those who play that way can elaborate. What I have just waxed lyrical on is just my own way.

Excuse the long winded-ness, can't help it, long weekend la.... ROFL

Last edited by Birdman on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:28 pm

PS - I would play the 49 deg, 56 deg, and 60 deg option if I were you for the reasons I mentioned above. You also get to play the 60 deg you want so much. Very Happy

I have a 52 deg GW which I have hardly, if ever, wished I had brought along when I am out on the course. Too many wedges I feel keeps you one dimensional, in that you always need to play a full swing. It takes away your imagination to be a versatile shotmaker with your wedges.

Consider this, In Seve Ballesteros days, he only had a 49 deg PW and 56 deg SW to play all his wedge shots, and he is considered to be the most versatile shotmaker with the most magical touch around the greens to ever have played the game of golf.

Hope my explanation helps you crystallise your thoughts versus mine into a useful combination of wedges for you.

Last edited by Birdman on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:34 pm

Good stuff Birdman.. Always like to hear how other golfers play to "borrow" some techniques.. hehe tongue
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
Thank you for comment guys but I am still confused on what to do ...

Save money : Add a 52* to my present 49, 54 & 58 and cover most distance and lies. WILL HAVE 49, 52, 54 & 58 ... BUT the gap distance will be rather short ..

Like to own a 60* : Add a 60* and 56* wedge to my present 49* & 54* WILL HAVE 49, 54, 56 & 60 ( sell the 58* ) .. the gap between the 54* and 56* are rather close

confused scratch

my fellow shi-siong,

contray to birdman, i carry 4 wedges, Pw, 52, 56 n 60......

since i think i hit further than my fellow birdman, i dun see any need to carry distance clubs, thus i got a 60 rather than hybrid/wood.... i chip with my Pw, 52 n 56, only flop with 60 for those tight pins Very Happy

when u come back, lets have a game, i take good care of all my fellow shi-siong wan
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Slinger tai kor, you definitely hit it further than me. What was a the great Duval_S once said?

I am but a pee-shooter! ROFL

Different strokes for different folks my friend.

The main thing is, we both have our own systems. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:47 pm

I kept holding back my view becos shy...

But my active fingers decided to give it a try

I carry only 3...the std PW which comes with my set, 51 deg becos that was the cheapest wedge i could find then, and recently gotten 56 deg becos my wife was getting sick of me complaining that I cannot get to the green fm bunker.

The 56deg is most useful for me to get out of bunker. I used to have alot of issue with the old 57 deg clevage but since chg to ping, not much issue

The 51 deg is for anything fm 0.1m fm green to 70m.....I just adjust trajectory.

PS: Tell you a secret but pls don tell anyone,,,, I donno what is bounce....and thats why I am still a seasoned beginner
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:50 pm

Quote :
]quote="Birdman"]Slinger tai kor, you definitely hit it further than me. What was a the great Duval_S once said?

[/quote]

hah!!! you pee shooter....???? then I better re-brand myself liao...I am shit shooter.....hahahah
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:50 pm

mizzy wrote:
Good stuff Birdman.. Always like to hear how other golfers play to "borrow" some techniques.. hehe tongue

No fault in that mizzy. Share and share alike. cheers

The best in the world have always been 'inspired' (read borrowed) from the best that came before.

Tiger was inspired by Jack who was inspired by Arnie who was inspired by Hogan who was inspired by Bobby who was inspired by young Tom Morris who was inspired by old Tom Morris.

And so it goes.....
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:53 pm

Birdman wrote:
Slinger tai kor, you definitely hit it further than me. What was a the great Duval_S once said?

u noe hor, me dun study much in school, so my golf dun have much imagination.....unlike seve

no choice lor, buy clubs that make me "one dimensional" golfer.....unlike seve

lol!
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
]quote="Birdman"]Slinger tai kor, you definitely hit it further than me. What was a the great Duval_S once said?

hah!!! you pee shooter....???? then I better re-brand myself liao...I am shit shooter.....hahahah[/quote]

heard u trying to let go all your putters....

cos u dun need them anymore....
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Actually wedge or clubs selection very personal one. No one knows your game as well as you do.

One bag 14 clubs is the rule.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:08 pm

my humble 2 cents..
i will add a 60 deg and drop the 3 iron when i play MBGC.. this is to get out of the deep bunkers..
normally i only carry PW, AW and SW. LW/60deg is only when there will be deep greenside bunkers or pothole bunkers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Today at 4:49 pm

Back to top Go down

Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next