Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:08 pm

slinger wrote:
Birdman wrote:
Slinger tai kor, you definitely hit it further than me. What was a the great Duval_S once said?

I am but a pee-shooter! ROFL

Different strokes for different folks my friend.

The main thing is, we both have our own systems. Very Happy

u noe hor, me dun study much in school, so my golf dun have much imagination.....unlike seve

no choice lor, buy clubs that make me "one dimensional" golfer.....unlike seve

lol!

The never study one are the keng ones who become towkays, the study ones who end up with degrees end up working for the towkays counting money that is not theirs. Who by the way, is out playing golf with 4 wedges. ROFL
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
]quote="Birdman"]Slinger tai kor, you definitely hit it further than me. What was a the great Duval_S once said?

I am but a pee-shooter! ROFL

hah!!! you pee shooter....???? then I better re-brand myself liao...I am shit shooter.....hahahah

Eh... don't say that la... Slinger tai kor have much respect for you and want to play with you leh....

He like your sharpness around the greens.

You sharp shooter la! ROFL
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:30 pm

bomby wrote:
Actually wedge or clubs selection very personal one. No one knows your game as well as you do.

One bag 14 clubs is the rule.

Sorry bro, with due respect, I beg to differ.

Everything in golf is 'personal' up to a point. If it's all so 'personal', then one might end up not learning other ways to play the same shot, putting it down to being 'personal'.

How then, will one have an open mind enough to learn and improve our skill sets to bring down our handicap within this great game of golf?

I say this because I have read too many comments about how it is 'personal', bearing in mind that there are many who are starting out on their golf journey also in Golf Republic.

Perhaps it is better to qualify that it becomes 'personal' when enough experience and skills have been learned to play a decent round of golf, be it in the 70s to 80s, depending to what level they want to take their game.

Thanks for bearing with me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
X-Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:35 pm

Duval_S wrote:

PS: Tell you a secret but pls don tell anyone,,,, I donno what is bounce....and thats why I am still a seasoned beginner

Bro Duval

that's quite hard to do when you write the secret in a Forum... Smile
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:04 pm

X-Man wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:

Spend more money : Add a 60*, 56* and 52* to my present 49* WILL HAVE 49*, 52* 56* and 60* .. Good gap distance 4 degree from each wedges (sell the 54* & 58* wedges)

confused scratch

Best choice is to get the above though cost more...

X-Men ; Thanks for your suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:07 pm

Batman wrote:
Bro, if I'm u, I'll replace e 58 w 60 n keep e rest. Reason being tat we aren't pro. 2 deg won't make much diff for me. In theory, wedges shld b 4 deg fr each other.

Thanks Batman,

Yes, this might be the cheaper way out. Having my PW 43, GW 49, SW 45 and buy a new LW 60 to replace my 58
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:15 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
Batman wrote:
Bro, if I'm u, I'll replace e 58 w 60 n keep e rest. Reason being tat we aren't pro. 2 deg won't make much diff for me. In theory, wedges shld b 4 deg fr each other.

Thanks Batman,

Yes, this might be the cheaper way out. Having my PW 43, GW 49, SW 45 and buy a new LW 60 to replace my 58

curious....how u know yr Pw is 43 and Gw is 49....

std Pw is 47-48, Gw is 50-52.....

unless yours is honma or those japs set.....
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:17 pm

Wah... last I heard PW is down to 45 deg, now even further down to 43 deg? affraid

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:19 pm

Birdman wrote:
PS - I would play the 49 deg, 56 deg, and 60 deg option if I were you for the reasons I mentioned above. You also get to play the 60 deg you want so much. Very Happy

I have a 52 deg GW which I have hardly, if ever, wished I had brought along when I am out on the course. Too many wedges I feel keeps you one dimensional, in that you always need to play a full swing. It takes away.......

Birdman,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it. No such thing of been long winded ... You took the time to write, I will take the time to read every word of it.

In fact, after reading I think I already knew what I really need ... Wink
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:22 pm

Birdman wrote:
Wah... last I heard PW is down to 45 deg, now even further down to 43 deg? affraid

Yes, my old AP1 PW is 45 and W is 50. I just change to a more forgiven club Cobra S2 to help with my lousy swing .. The PW is 43 and GW is 49
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:26 pm

Glad if I managed to be of some help my friend.

Enjoy your new 60 deg toy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:32 pm

slinger wrote:

my fellow shi-siong,

contray to birdman, i carry 4 wedges, Pw, 52, 56 n 60......

since i think i hit further than my fellow birdman, i dun see any need to carry distance clubs, thus i got a 60 rather than hybrid/wood.... i chip with my Pw, 52 n 56, only flop with 60 for those tight pins Very Happy

when u come back, lets have a game, i take good care of all my fellow shi-siong wan

Thank you shi-siong,

Actually I am carrying 4 wedges too .. My AP1 PW 45, W 50, 54 and 58. I only chip with my 50 & 54 and also flop with my 58 .. My PW mainly to swing for distance of 100-105m.

With my new iron .. I think I am going to use the new PW 43, GW49 + a new 56 & 60.

Thanks for the game invitation .. I like to but let me complete another couple more lessons with saifu 1st. If not, I might embarrass you Embarassed
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:36 pm

one thing i want to mention is that with all the jacked up lofts, we should be looking at the distance your irons are supposed to cover.

by this i mean its not just lofts we should look at. we should be looking at distances for example:

PW should be covering say 100 to 110m on full swings, depending on your swing speed it may be more or less.
Under 100m, we can decide to have a range of distances to cover using GW, SW or LW.

To personalise our wedge options means to decide on what distances we want to cover, depending on where our PW reaches.

i think Pelz system is very mechanical but works if you don't want to get creative.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:37 pm

mizzy wrote:
my humble 2 cents..
i will add a 60 deg and drop the 3 iron when i play MBGC.. this is to get out of the deep bunkers..
normally i only carry PW, AW and SW. LW/60deg is only when there will be deep greenside bunkers or pothole bunkers.

Wow, you use 3 iron .. You have to be a good player to swing well with it Hooray
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:41 pm

bro Slicer, i use it mainly for tee off.. long par 3. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:44 pm

Good observations mizzy!

It's getting crazy how jacked up the lofts are! I feel manufacturers are helping the game and golfers by artificially pandering too much to the obsession with distance, to the detriment of the short game.

Pitching wedges down to 43 deg from 48 deg, and then there's the addition of the 64 deg wedge in the opposite direction! The gaps at the shorter end of the game are getting ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:50 pm

slinger wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:
Batman wrote:

Thanks Batman,

curious....how u know yr Pw is 43 and Gw is 49....

std Pw is 47-48, Gw is 50-52.....

unless yours is honma or those japs set.....

Thanks for the reminder. I will double check with the pro shop again tomorrow.

My new iron is Cobra S2 ... It catalog for men specifications stated GW 49, PW 43, 9i 39, 8i 35, 7i 31, 6i 28 & 5i 25 .. I also realized that Cobra off set were rather large compared to my old Titleist AP1
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks Bridman,

But this is not my observation so I can't claim credit. I read this in other forums.
OK maybe I just repeat some of what I read here.. hehe

when manufacturers got into using steel shafts to mass produce irons, at first they followed the old standards. slowly they jacked up the lofts.. a modern 3 iron today has the same loft as a traditional 1 or 2 iron!!

so that means the PW now is the loft of a traditional 9 iron.. the SW is 56 deg and they have not changed that. so now manufactures can sell golfers 8 irons and leave a large gap between the PW and SW that many will have to get a GW.. a newly invented club to cover the gap between the PW and SW!!!!

meanwhile golfers are stuck with a 3 iron they can't or won't ever hit!!

End of Rant.. thanks.. hehe What a Face
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:59 pm

mizzy wrote:
one thing i want to mention is that with all the jacked up lofts, we should be looking at the distance your irons are supposed to cover.

by this i mean its not just lofts we should look at. we should be looking at distances for example:

PW should be covering say 100 to 110m on full swings, depending on your swing speed it may be more or less.
Under 100m, we can decide to have a range of distances to cover using GW, SW or LW.

To personalise our wedge options means to decide on what distances we want to cover, depending on where our PW reaches.

i think Pelz system is very mechanical but works if you don't want to get creative.

Great observations indeed ... I will be testing out my distance data on my new 43 PW and 49 GW and compare with my old distance data of 54 SW and 58 LW before I decide whether there were any gaps to fill if I still wanted to have a LW 60 wedge. Thx
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:18 am

Duval_S wrote:

PS: Tell you a secret but pls don tell anyone,,,, I donno what is bounce....and thats why I am still a seasoned beginner

Bro,

I like you as you think very much like me. If I do not know I will ask. Unless you are just pulling our leg. If not, i have data in my computer regarding bounce. I will post them if you are not joking ?
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:56 am

Slicer51 wrote:
mizzy wrote:
my humble 2 cents..
i will add a 60 deg and drop the 3 iron when i play MBGC.. this is to get out of the deep bunkers..
normally i only carry PW, AW and SW. LW/60deg is only when there will be deep greenside bunkers or pothole bunkers.

Wow, you use 3 iron .. You have to be a good player to swing well with it Hooray

You should see him using a 3 iron to hit the ball near to the pin. I have seen it.. What a Face

I agree with Mizzy on carrying an additional 60 degree wedge if the course I am playing has deep bunkers (MBGC). I learnt my lesson yesterday but not bringing the 60 degree wedge and having to come out of the bunkers there using a SW is no joke.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:48 pm

So you did come out of deep bunker with sand wedge! Skilled siah!

Another top top hand. Razz

p.s. blee, me not going TM sale today......just woke up, still stoned.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:03 pm

asahi wrote:
So you did come out of deep bunker with sand wedge! Skilled siah!

Another top top hand. Razz

p.s. blee, me not going TM sale today......just woke up, still stoned.

Asahi, he can come out of anywhere... ROFL

Ok. see whether i can make it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:13 pm

Just my two cents worth.... start by checking your PW loft, in most case it will be 45-47 loft,
so the next wedge should be a 50-52, next will be the 54 - 58 and so forth..

as most golfer me included I have PW of 46 degree, next wedge (aw) 50 degree bend from a 52 degree wedge(as it is difficult to find a 50 degree wedge) than a 54 degree wedge and lastly a 58 degree.

As for the bounce, it will depends on the golf course i play on,(bunker sand and how tight the fairway are being crop.) On that note, means i have 2 wedges of different bounce on the same loft... ie 50 degree loft with 8 and 10 bounce, 54 degree loft with 13 and 16 bounce and lastly the 58 degree with a 10 and 12 bounce.

I am not a fan of 60 degree, firstly the 58 are more versatile and easier t play with, as we play our wedges, we do or can open up the club from 1 to 10 degree(or more) and that effectively increase the lofts,

But than again personal preference will be first choice, not hard and fast rule! since wedges are versatile by itself!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?   Today at 12:13 pm

Back to top Go down

Re: Wedges loft and bounce ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2