Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mizuno Swing DNA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rb990
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Mizuno Swing DNA    Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:02 am

Hi,

This is a bit of a long story but I learnt how important custom fitting is today...

I'm back in the U.K now and have started to look for new sets of irons to replace my mp60/67 combo set with dynamic gold S300 shafts. Having never been custom fit for any of my clubs, I thought it would be interesting if I were to pop into a golf store and look at some blades, the titleist 710mb and the mizuno mp68. To cut to the chase I was told that if I wasnt actually buying the irons that day they would not do a full custom fit but would demonstrate some of the technology used for me, in this case the mizuno swing dna shaft optimiser shown here: http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/custom/swing-dna.php

This is basically a 6 iron with some sort of gauge on it, which measures the clubhead speed, tempo,shaft toe down, kick angle, and release factor. From these measured numbers a computer program on a laptop can recommend some appropriate shafts.

Now I hit a 6 iron about 155 metres and have always played dynamic gold s300 shafts or a rifle 5.5 and expected to get the same result with the shaft optimiser. However whilst my clubhead speed number at 83mph is enough for these, my tempo (transition from backswing to forward swing) was measured to be so slow that instead a lighter shaft- ns pro 950 or a true temper gs95 was recommended in stiff flex.

I've never considered using a lighter than tour weight iron shaft so it'll be exciting to see how my clubhead speed, launch angle and spin rate numbers change on a launch monitor and I'll update this thread when the numbers come in. One things for sure, I've learnt a valuable lesson and I'll never buy another club straight off the rack!

Back to top Go down
jazz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno Swing DNA    Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:32 am

Unfortunately I can't find a Mizy fitter in Singapore who uses that device. I read about it and was searching for a fitter with that equipment.
Anyone knows a fitter who uses this?
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno Swing DNA    Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:21 am

jazz wrote:
Unfortunately I can't find a Mizy fitter in Singapore who uses that device. I read about it and was searching for a fitter with that equipment.
Anyone knows a fitter who uses this?
Only Golf House has the shaft optimizer
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno Swing DNA    Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:10 pm

I've also used the shaft optimizer, and it recommends that i continue using my current shafts lol.. i guess that means i'm properly fitted.

On another note, all that device does is to RECOMMEND a shaft based on collected data and analysis, which MAY fit your swing. Best way to get fitted is still to see the numbers on the launch monitor, and of course personal feel will be a big factor.

If your retailer has one of those full fitting carts, make sure you try all the different shafts combos just in case there's an undiscovered gem.

Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno Swing DNA    Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:14 pm

rb990 wrote:

I've never considered using a lighter than tour weight iron shaft so it'll be exciting to see how my clubhead speed, launch angle and spin rate numbers change on a launch monitor and I'll update this thread when the numbers come in. One things for sure, I've learnt a valuable lesson and I'll never buy another club straight off the rack!

Btw, you have the opportunity to get fitted at your retail golf store coz you're in the UK. Golfers in Singapore don't have this luxury. Last i recall, there aren't any retailers that have a simulator.

Make the best use of your time there!
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno Swing DNA    Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:15 pm

I got fitted on the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer too, and true enough, it reported that the PX5.0 was the best fit for me, given my swing speed and tempo (which was found to be remarkably consistent). This is also consistent with the recommendations of my fitter even before GH Dubai got the shaft optimizer Smile
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno Swing DNA    Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:19 pm

solarpop wrote:

Btw, you have the opportunity to get fitted at your retail golf store coz you're in the UK. Golfers in Singapore don't have this luxury. Last i recall, there aren't any retailers that have a simulator.

Solarpop, you may be glad to know that we do have this luxury in Singapore, and for quite awhile now.

Mizuno shaft optimizer is available at Golf House Marina Square.

Various launch monitors (specifically collecting swing data for clubfitting) are available at places like the TaylorMade Concept Shop at Cathay, The Ping shop at Bishan Driving Range, WizGolf in Ang Mo Kio, and Big Fish Golf in Bukit Merah.

Simulators by the way, are where you can play screen golf, as in a wall-to-wall screen that projects various golf courses for you to play indoor golf from driving to putting. They also collect some data on your swing, but may not be as detailed as launch monitors. Examples of places with simulators are Urban Fairways, Revolution Golf, Max Swing, and City Golf.

Rejoice! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno Swing DNA    Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:25 pm

Yea i've heard about those indoor golf places.. will be checking those out when i'm back just for the kick of it. Glad to hear that we're getting better equipped with the local retailers, but looks like it's still quite brand specific. Not sure what they carry at WizGolf though.

The retailers like Golfsmith carry almost every brand on the market, and every one of their outlets has at least one launch monitor. Some even have a chipping area with BUNKERS. The concept for golf shopping here is quite different. People will try all the clubs and see the numbers before deciding, which though not professionally done, at least entails a little bit of fitting. Back home, most people just base their decisions on feel and hope for the best.

I long for the day that Pan West or Golf House decides to open a huge ass super store with all the above mentioned amenities. Or BFG can expand and decide to go retail?
Back to top Go down
Bernie Tan Golf Coach
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno Swing DNA    Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:38 pm

Woah just looking back at this post and about 5-6 years later, club fitting definitely helps with finding the right shaft for us, and the shaft optimizer definitely helps a whole lot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno Swing DNA    Today at 8:33 pm

Back to top Go down

Mizuno Swing DNA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1