Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Which team are you supporting?
Team USA
27%
 27% [ 11 ]
Team Europe
54%
 54% [ 22 ]
Team which has prettier wives/girlfriends
19%
 19% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 41

AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:03 am

Not sure if forumers agree but the last match's win could be attributed to crowd factor. I mean the huge crowd, attention, mental pressure. It either make or break the player.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:58 am

we shud ask pinkpanther how is it like to play (and win) in a singles match play tourney. I can only imagine.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:05 am

pushslice wrote:
we shud ask pinkpanther how is it like to play (and win) in a singles match play tourney. I can only imagine.

Pushslice,try playing big bets.. maybe can get 10% of the adrenalin... hehehe.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Technospaz wrote:
slinger wrote:
think to pin all faults on mahan is not right.... team USA lose cos they lose 5 points on session 3

nobody like to lose but i would never find faults with any of my teammates....same with golf n soccer n other team sports

ppl who does dun know what team sports is about.....

It's just too bad that Mahan had to shoulder the responsibility of winning it for the team. I'm sure it's hard enough when the pressure is just for you to win, but when you're winning for yourself, your team and your country, the pressure must be insane.

I think Mahan didn't play too badly overall... he just played a bad shot towards the end. He's human after all.

Here's an interesting read on Hunter Mahan at the post event press conference that gives some insight.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b6cWY
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:20 pm

BM, is this the article you were referring to?

Yahoo! Sports wrote:
Mahan learns the yin and yang of Ryder Cup

By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP National Writer 10 hours, 12 minutes ago

NEWPORT, Wales (AP)—Hunter Mahan kept searching for the words. All he could muster were tears.

From the ecstasy of Valhalla to the despondency of Celtic Manor, Mahan was the unmistakable face of an American team that came so close pulling off an improbable comeback, only to hand the Ryder Cup back to the Europeans on Monday.

Mahan asked to be in the last singles match, asked to have the pressure of the anchor spot put squarely on his shoulders. At the end, the blonde-haired Texan got exactly what he wanted: the match that would decide who got the cup.

Only it didn’t go as planned. Instead of the cheers Mahan heard two years ago as one of the stars of a U.S. triumph, he tasted the bitterest of defeats, his last hurrah ending at No. 17 with a short tee shot, a flubbed chip and a putt from off the green that wasn’t even close.

Mahan didn’t bother making Graeme McDowell putt out, shaking hands with the Northern Irishman, then clearing out of the way so the Europeans could begin their celebration right there on the 17th green.

The Americans lost 14 1/2 -13 1/2 . Mahan took the blame, as unfair as that is in a team competition that played out over 28 matches and four days.

“He just beat me today,” Mahan said, struggling to keep his composure.

When he joined his teammates in the interview room, his anguish was apparent. They patted Mahan on the back, trying to prop him up. They praised him for his courage and tried shifting the blame to other points lost. He kept rubbing his eyes, trying desperately to keep from breaking down for all the world to see.

“I’m just proud to be a part of this team,” Mahan said. “It’s a close team, and … “

That’s about all he could say.

His teammates spoke for him.

“We are all proud to be part of this team,” Phil Mickelson chimed in, giving Mahan a gentle slap on the shoulder. “We came within half a point. But we could look anywhere throughout those 28 points for that half a point.”

Asked how it felt to know the entire match hinged on his one-on-one with McDowell, Mahan teared up again. And Mickelson ran interference again.

“Let’s go to another one. Yes, in the blue, back there,” Lefty said, pointing to a reporter on the other side of the room.

Clearly, others contributed to this defeat.

Stewart Cink? He played in one of the earliest singles matches against Rory McIlroy. The American had the lead until he three-putted the 15th. Then he missed a little 6-footer at the 17th to reclaim the lead, and a 15-footer at the end that still would have won the match. If Cink had taken a full point for the Americans, it would have been 14-14—and the tie goes to the defending champion.

Mickelson? He lost all three of his team matches, giving him more career defeats than any other U.S. Ryder Cup player, before an easy singles win against Peter Hanson.

“If you go up and down the line of the tour players in Europe and the U.S. and asked them if they would like to be the last guy to decide the Ryder Cup, probably less than half would say they would like to be that guy and probably less than 10 percent of them would mean it,” Cink said.

“Hunter Mahan put himself in that position today. He was the man on our team, to put himself in that position. Hunter Mahan performed like a champ out there today. I think it’s awesome. Not many players would do that.”

Steve Stricker won the leadoff match for the Americans, setting the tone for a comeback that came oh-so-close. He, too, said it was unfair to blame Mahan.

“We can all think about a shot here and there that could have turned the match to make up that one point,” Stricker said. “You hate to see Hunter go through what he’s going through because it really shouldn’t come down to that. But, unfortunately, it did.”

Even the guy who beat Mahan felt for him.

“If I was Hunter, I would’ve been devastated,” McDowell said. “Aside from that chip (at the 17th), he played flawless golf.”

Later, Mahan was able to get himself together and add a little perspective to what he’s been through at the last two Ryder Cups.

He was the only American to go unbeaten in 2008, playing all five sessions as a rookie and gaining a new appreciation for an event that he had criticized as nothing more than a money-making machine. His signature moment came in singles, where he banged in a 60-foot birdie putt at the 17th and wound up halving a match with Paul Casey that gave the Americans a huge boost on the final day.

And now, Mahan knows how it felt to be Casey—only much, much worse.

“The Ryder Cup brings stuff out of you that you didn’t know you had, from an emotional sense, from a golf sense,” he said. “It’s a great learning experience. I’ll take a lot from it. I’m disappointed now, but it’s not something I’m going to be disappointed with for long.”

Maybe he can pass on the yin and yang of Ryder Cup to rising young American star Rickie Fowler, whose amazing comeback against Edoardo Molinari brought it all down to the last match. The bushy-haired 21-year-old birdied the last four holes, overcoming a three-shot deficit to earn a half point.

“It’s been an awesome week for me,” Fowler said, sounding his age. “It’s been pretty cool to be on a team with all of these guys.”

Mahan was feeling the same way two years ago. His young teammate would be wise to heed those lessons in a career that undoubtedly will include more Ryder Cup appearances.

“This is great for Rickie, great for his confidence,” said Davis Love III, an assistant captain for the Americans. “He’s got to make sure he learns from it the right way. He needs to look at that picture of Hunter pumping his fist at Valhalla.”

And remember the guy sitting on the dais Monday, struggling to hold back the tears.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Yuppers! Thanks TS.

I still haven't figured out how to do that. Which icon to use?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Birdman wrote:
Yuppers! Thanks TS.

I still haven't figured out how to do that. Which icon to use?

Got icon? I just use the [ quote = "XXX" ] XXX [ / quote ] commands.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:42 pm

not icon, sorry commands.

so quote command, copy and paste text, quote command again?

I tried pasting the link in between the quotes, didn't work. I'll figure it out soon enough.

Thanks again buddy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Birdman wrote:
not icon, sorry commands.

so quote command, copy and paste text, quote command again?

I tried pasting the link in between the quotes, didn't work. I'll figure it out soon enough.

Thanks again buddy. Very Happy

You need to manually cut and paste, unfortunately. This means that you'll have to select all of the text, copy it and paste it between the quote tags. You can't use a URL alone.

Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:59 pm

Ah So!!!!

Oops, shades of organic rangefinder. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Birdman wrote:
Ah So!!!!

Oops, shades of organic rangefinder. Shocked

Says he, Mr. Ben Dover Smile

Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:14 pm

ROFL Haven't seen his name, or should I say head, pop up in a very long time!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:35 pm

Birdman wrote:
ROFL Haven't seen his name, or should I say head, pop up in a very long time!

LOL!

Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:23 pm

This is one photo never seen before :-

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Tiger-Woods-gives-us-the-greatest-golf-photo-you?urn=golf-274331
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:29 pm

Quote :
Check that photo from the weekend's Ryder Cup action. No, it's not staged or Photoshopped. That's really Tiger Woods hitting a golf ball straight at the camera.

How'd it happen? By mistake. The cameraman, Mark Pain of the Daily Mail, was in the proper position on the 18th hole when Woods flat-out duffed his shot. The ball hit Pain's camera and dropped to the ground. But unlike many instances when Woods and caddy Stevie Williams have taken issue with photographers, Tiger had nothing to say here. He knew he was in the wrong, not Pain.
(Aside: best part of the gallery in this picture? The smiling dude with the cigar on the right side of the frame. He's the only thing about this photo that looks fake.)

Of course, the fact that the photographer was in the right didn't stop Woods from offering Pain a withering glare as he left the course:

Quote :
Bravo, Mr. Pain. It's the rare photographer that can claim to have taken a golf shot to the face.
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:31 pm

TW duffed his shot....mmmmm.....I am feeling confidence...
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Ah see? Eldrick flubbed chips too, just so happened that it didnt occur at the last game and it was best ball so he had an insurance policy in stricker. Much less pressure than what mahan faced.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:27 pm

Ryder Cup repeat is on already. According to Golf Channel schedule, till 2am tonite. Now playing 2nd day.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:34 pm

affraid Watch all 4 days at one go! What a Face
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:55 pm

Technospaz wrote:
It's just too bad that Mahan had to shoulder the responsibility of winning it for the team. I'm sure it's hard enough when the pressure is just for you to win, but when you're winning for yourself, your team and your country, the pressure must be insane.

I think Mahan didn't play too badly overall... he just played a bad shot towards the end. He's human after all.

I think you should have said it's just too bad that Mahan had to shoulder the responsibility of LOSING it for the team. geek

Mahan played not just one bad shot but 3-4 disastrous shots towards the end. Remember one hole when CM hit a fat shot from the fairway that almost went into the water? Well, Mahan didn't take the advantage and hit short also. Then a bad drive on the next hole when he had to hit from heavy rough. That was the hole CM birdied it for a 2 up lead. On the par 3 17, again he hit a bad 6i which landed way short, followed by a really bad chip that surrendered the cup back to Europe.

This is really the most exciting and dramatic Ryder Cup I have watched to-date. Things were so darn unpredictable but I am so happy that Europe won it. Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:36 pm

it was a brilliant tournament for both sides - at least it wasn't a one-sided battle, and Europe won by the skin of their teeth. A win is still a win, and it goes to show that pros are human too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?   Today at 5:18 am

Back to top Go down

Ryder Cup - Which team are you supporting?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7