Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hips

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Holeinone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Hips   Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:15 pm

My coach teaches me to use more wrist but doesn't emphasize on the hips, other than to turn and I can hit the ball just fine through his instructions. But I don't want it becoming a bad habit. I want to use my hips properly.

1. He says that the right side should be dominant, it should be the 'flicking' hand, and that the left side should be as limp as reasonably can. But if my left side is fairly limp, how can my lower body effectively transfer energy to my arms in the downswing? Shouldn't both hands provide equal power and neither should be more dominant, in fact, the left is more important as it controls the club-face. Am I right to think this way?

2. Other than the right hand naturally hinging at the top of the downswing (due to weight of the club-head), does either hand move in another other way before impact? I noticed that all professional players still have a bent right hand (not arms) on impact.

3. How do you begin your downswing from address? Do you rotate your hips back? Or your waist? Your shoulders? Your arms?

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hips   Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Quote :
Quote :
Holeinone wrote:
My coach teaches me to use more wrist but doesn't emphasize on the hips, other than to turn and I can hit the ball just fine through his instructions. But I don't want it becoming a bad habit. I want to use my hips properly.

WOW...this is interesting......so by not wanting it to be a bad habit, are you saying tat your coach is not fully imparting the right technique to you?

Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Hips   Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:24 pm

my hips rotate cos my shoulders pull them along. I'd say it rotates about 30 deg to 45 deg, but better that I dun say so much, otherwise some forumers will say that 'some' posts are too technical for them to understand Razz
Back to top Go down
Frederick
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hips   Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi... I feel since you have spent money to visit the coach, u have probably did yr search and homework who to see. Why not sort out the doubts with yr coach? Because every coach has their own coaching "theme" and its important to have the right communication to get the swing across. I was an athlete before and I believe working things out with the coach. Try out for at least 6 months... hope my little feedback helps.
Back to top Go down
Holeinone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hips   Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:29 am

Thanks all.

I've asked him about it and he told me lag is something for advanced golfers.

Since I just started out golf and am in his 'beginner's course I reckon he just wants me to be able to hit the ball easily. Moreover, for beginners apparently, the concept of the hips initializing the downswing isn't one that can be taught in 2 or 3 one-hour lessons. You get what you pay for

I was also an athlete and I know how bad habits if not corrected early, will remain, well, bad habits.

Since I started with a blank slate, why not try to get the fundamentals right from get go?
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hips   Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:55 am

Your coach is probably trying to get you to hit the ball airborne and get you some confidence before teaching you more things.

Follow what he says and access him at a later stage.

Anyway, welcome to this game....enjoy
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hips   Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:17 am

Hips should be properly moved like this:

Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hips   Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:55 am

Firstly have to understand your coach's method... he could be breaking down the swing for you...

I once observed a coach teaching the students on rotation of the foremans... His drill is to have the club at thigh level parallel to the ground and have the clubface almost facing the sky, then hit into a impact bag...

in a real swing, I dun think the clubface will be face the sky at that position but thats a drill
Back to top Go down
dancsy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hips   Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:22 pm

Sometimes its hard for anyone to tell if what your coach is teaching you is correct.

Maybe you do not turn your palms over enough through impact so
he could be describing in a more extreme manner so you will turn over more..

Or... maybe he is more focused on your results than the common techniques we know but then again, there are many school of thoughts in golf... you may choose which ones you ultimately wants to adopt. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hips   Today at 12:02 pm

Back to top Go down

Hips
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1