Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Breaking 100 - 90 - 80

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:42 am

i broke 90 last week.... Did not have a good putting, 35 putts for 18 holes... I guess the reason I able to break 90 is drives and irons are getting the ball to where I want them to go. Managed max double bogey...

I always look at it as I need 2 putts for every hole unless I am chipping in. so for par 4, the second shot have to be close to the green if not on...

Have to be confident that your swing will get the ball to where you want but leave your ego at home... Sometimes wirking on the mental will improve your score more the techniques
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 828
Join date : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:29 am

duffader wrote:
skybobo wrote:
Bro duffader, I agree with you that betting generally improves the scores.
But I also think betting prolong the game cos ppl take more time on greens.
Or is it only me? Smile

Anyway, there are indeed some ppl who play well when betting.
Howeve there are also another type......when presurre come, they fail cos they put too much focus into it, think too much and at the end did not commit.

Always 2 side to the coin, just my 2 cents.

True... u take a longer time on the green.. but it also means whilte you are walking around the greens, there will be 7 pair of eyes looking at you. So which is more pressurizing.... missing a putt, u will forget it on the next hole already.. but always having the thought of slow play will taunt you for the whole game.

FOr me, the longer i think about the putt, the higher chance i will miss. So always trust it and execute it. the longer you think, the higher the adrenalin, which means you have a higer chance of missing it. So try reading the line, trusting it and just putt it. You will be amazed by the results.
Agree with everything u say bro.
Hope to have a game with u one day Smile
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1121
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:47 am

4dtoto wrote:
I agreed with what Duffader say. I play with a friend recently and his first 9 was something like 20+ over...before 2nd nine, he told me his last game as very good and he play his best score. I ask him why, he say probably becos of the bigger betting.

So wat happen next...hehehe...you guess..

That is Buayaism at its best... no$$ +20, small $$ +10, good $$ par, Very good $$ under par.

The fact that he is so open about it, lagi worst...

make sense....no $$ the 3 wood / 60 degree wedge is the best friend (worst score), got $$ it layup city (better score).
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3623
Join date : 2009-06-22
Age : 45
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:50 am

tronos wrote:
4dtoto wrote:
I agreed with what Duffader say. I play with a friend recently and his first 9 was something like 20+ over...before 2nd nine, he told me his last game as very good and he play his best score. I ask him why, he say probably becos of the bigger betting.

So wat happen next...hehehe...you guess..

That is Buayaism at its best... no$$ +20, small $$ +10, good $$ par, Very good $$ under par.

The fact that he is so open about it, lagi worst...

make sense....no $$ the 3 wood / 60 degree wedge is the best friend, got $$ it layup city.

No really lah.. we friends playing mah.. but he need more pressure to focuss..
Back to top Go down
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 179
Join date : 2010-07-04
Location : Heartland Golf School @ Jurong Country Club

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Some great ideas and stories.

Lots of talk about how improving certain statistics, or technical aspects of the game will lower the scores. Some ideas about course management can improve the game and bring consistency. These things are all true and can be effective if you know how to implement them into your game.
However, my experience as a professional who has worked with hundreds and hundreds of golfers of all different abilities from raw beginners to world class amateurs and LPGA Tour players, tells me that a lot of the ideas are cliche, just like the magazine and Golf Channel tips that fill up the golf world. (no disrespect if you posted an idea)
Golfers are consumed with golf cliche, tips and fixes that just don't work.

Want to break 100?
Think about it from this angle. To shoot a score of 99 you need to finish the day @ 27 shots over the par for the course.
This would require nothing more than 9 bogeys and 9 double bogeys.
Before your round, take the time to select which 9 holes you will play for bogey and which 9 holes you will play for double. (It could be as simple as odd numberd holes and even numbered holes, front 9 back 9, or play the most difficult holes according to the handicap index for double)

Imagine you are faced with a par 5 where your game plan tells you that you only need double bogey to stay on track, all you have to do is try to get on the green in 5 shots and two putt. Plan accordingly and play the hole with 5 simple shot instead of facing the consequences of a failed attempt at heroics.

I find that a lot of golfers get stuck trying to play for par, and experience disaster while attempting unrealistic shots in persuit of par. BANG, double par and sometimes double digits.

Take the pressure off by giving yourself an extra shot or two and learn to take satisfaction in the fact that you had the discipline to stick to a game plan that simplifies shot selection.

I have had great feedback and success stories from my students who have adopted this mentality. All it takes is some pre round planning and the discipline to not stray from the plan.

Want to break 90? Just play for 18 bogeys with the same mentality. Quite likely you will have a 1 putt par here or there and find yourself in the 80's at the end of the day.

Would love to hear your thoughts or feedback from anyone who decides to try this.

Good Luck

Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:23 pm

recently I have been struggling to break 100; so I try to swing with less aggression and instead focus on a smooth tempo.

I usually picture pushslice or my idol S70B's swing when I practise, then I won't rush my downswing.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi punkrockpga

thanks for the advise.

Will do so with my next round of golf, hopfully i can play better than the current result.

Snowman
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2916
Join date : 2009-11-24
Age : 37
Location : Anywhere Comfortable

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:35 pm

zhenxua wrote:
recently I have been struggling to break 100; so I try to swing with less aggression and instead focus on a smooth tempo.

I usually picture pushslice or my idol S70B's swing when I practise, then I won't rush my downswing.

You betting big big with someone soon? Why post such a big lie?

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3179
Join date : 2009-06-22
Age : 40
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:13 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
zhenxua wrote:
recently I have been struggling to break 100; so I try to swing with less aggression and instead focus on a smooth tempo.

I usually picture pushslice or my idol S70B's swing when I practise, then I won't rush my downswing.

You betting big big with someone soon? Why post such a big lie?

lol!

On behalf of Ivan, I'm correcting his sentence.

Breaking 90 to be exact !
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:13 pm

zhenxua just can't help it, he's honorary BVA member lor. Mloy was the original "crocula", she infected all of her victims.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 10361
Join date : 2009-12-19
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:24 pm

pushslice wrote:
zhenxua just can't help it, he's honorary BVA member lor. Mloy was the original "crocula", she infected all of her victims.

ROFL ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 1725
Join date : 2009-06-17
Location : Laguna National Golf and Country Club

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:33 pm

duffader wrote:
Every single touranment in the PGA is about betting if you ask me. You think they are bothered about the world rankings? They are more worried about making the cut and getting paid.

I disagree with you one million percent! If you get to that level, money is not even a tiny concern.... you are after the trophy and the title..... World rankings are important only because they will get you into all the best events, but I guarantee they dont care about the $$ amount, they only care about beating all the others..... Beer
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2449
Join date : 2010-05-29
Age : 59
Location : Surabaya

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:50 am

I guess when they won, the monies eventually will come too through advertisement, sponsor, contract ... etc. So, what is most important, monies or "name" ? Me ? monies, "name" and women heeeee ROFL ( here gone my reputation ? it is okay, I do not have reputation anyway Stretcher White Flag Beer
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5599
Join date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:09 am

shorthitter wrote:
duffader wrote:
Every single touranment in the PGA is about betting if you ask me. You think they are bothered about the world rankings? They are more worried about making the cut and getting paid.

I disagree with you one million percent! If you get to that level, money is not even a tiny concern.... you are after the trophy and the title..... World rankings are important only because they will get you into all the best events, but I guarantee they dont care about the $$ amount, they only care about beating all the others..... Beer

Oh I see... Because i see those nationwide tours and euopean tours it still base on the amount of winnings to determine the position or even the tour card for the next season. It's always about the money. Of course I dun think that applies to the top players in the world but I guess money is the only thing that can decide the positions.

It's like why PGA pros are being paid to play in tournaments around Asia. I dun think they are bothered in those smaller prizes tournament becos it may not be worth it. I am usin the example that Anthony kim was paid to play in the Malaysia open the other time.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:24 am

Agree with duffader, it might not matter for the top 400+ players in the world, but suppose there are thousands of pros trying to make it in many tours. Follow the news on Pga tour fall season or pga qualifying school, all they say to the press is about securing a card or securing a job i.e. To make a good living.

Sean O'Hair might say its not about $ now, but ask him 5 yrs ago when he was living off a trailer. Might give a different answer.

winning takes care of everything.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4972
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Always on the fairway

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:23 am

key to breaking 90 or 80 is :

putting

chipping and pitching

avoid making rash decisions... eg when driver not working, use 3 wood...


my humble opinion....
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2449
Join date : 2010-05-29
Age : 59
Location : Surabaya

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:38 am

I still remember a friend told me this ...

Picture this ... Tiger Wood doing his putt in 18 holes to decide whether he will win a 1 million dollar price money and another player no 105 in the world doing the same putt to decide who going to win ...

1 million to Tiger is nothing but for the other guy Wowwww .. talking about nerve and mental ? .... Guess who make the putt at the end ?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 1725
Join date : 2009-06-17
Location : Laguna National Golf and Country Club

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:11 pm

pushslice wrote:
Agree with duffader, it might not matter for the top 400+ players in the world, but suppose there are thousands of pros trying to make it in many tours. Follow the news on Pga tour fall season or pga qualifying school, all they say to the press is about securing a card or securing a job i.e. To make a good living.

Sean O'Hair might say its not about $ now, but ask him 5 yrs ago when he was living off a trailer. Might give a different answer.

winning takes care of everything.

I must have mis read him, I thought he said PGA Tour not lower level....
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5599
Join date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:32 pm

shorthitter wrote:
pushslice wrote:
Agree with duffader, it might not matter for the top 400+ players in the world, but suppose there are thousands of pros trying to make it in many tours. Follow the news on Pga tour fall season or pga qualifying school, all they say to the press is about securing a card or securing a job i.e. To make a good living.

Sean O'Hair might say its not about $ now, but ask him 5 yrs ago when he was living off a trailer. Might give a different answer.

winning takes care of everything.

I must have mis read him, I thought he said PGA Tour not lower level....

PGA tour includes more than 50 players with quite a few trying to make the cut right? I dunno, u are a pro, so u should know better. Week in week out, everybody trying to make the cut for the first 2 days. Good thing that they are trying so hard just to beat the top players just for bragging rights.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 1725
Join date : 2009-06-17
Location : Laguna National Golf and Country Club

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Mate, if you make it too PGA Tour you are given everything... your sponsorship deals are estimated (at last numbers released) at USD 1 million minimum for the season.

Of course the USD is not what it was..

And yes at the end of the season when $50 may mean the difference between keeping your card and losing it and going back to the Nationwide, where most of them are rich but want to play on the big Tour, then yes money makes a difference...

But if you think they are teeing up just to make cut to make a cheque than as I said I disagree with you!

But it sounds like you know better... Beer
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5599
Join date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:03 pm

shorthitter wrote:
Mate, if you make it too PGA Tour you are given everything... your sponsorship deals are estimated (at last numbers released) at USD 1 million minimum for the season.

Of course the USD is not what it was..

And yes at the end of the season when $50 may mean the difference between keeping your card and losing it and going back to the Nationwide, where most of them are rich but want to play on the big Tour, then yes money makes a difference...

But if you think they are teeing up just to make cut to make a cheque than as I said I disagree with you!

But it sounds like you know better... Beer

I really not sure.... I can't even be a teaching pro like u, so I am not sure abt the pro-circuit. Cos I always feel it's the prize money that attracts the competitors.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 1725
Join date : 2009-06-17
Location : Laguna National Golf and Country Club

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:26 pm

Ok, just for an example, IF I made it to the PGA Tour, as soon as I had confirmation, I would have at least 20 Sports Agents waiting for me with contracts as fat as my arm...

I would have clauses and balloon payments, example (to use a product locally) I use Zen putter, I would put clause in contract, everytime my putter is on TV I get $10k if I hole a putt above 60 feet and it is on TV I get $20k, If I win I get $100k, the payments are only limited by my agents imagination...

And that is why a lot of first timers on the tour fail, they are so overwhelmed by the $$$ thrust at them they forget to play golf...

If you make the cut in a PGA event and come last you may get $5k but get your sponsors equipment on TV you may get $50k...

It is a marketers dream!

I once played in a US Open pre Q, I was paired with 2 past PGA Tour winners, an agent offered $500 just to wear his cap, not because I was any good but because playing with the other 2 I had no choice but to be in the Limelight....

Tiger makes $5-8 mill in prize money and $100 +mill in endorsements....
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5599
Join date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:35 pm

shorthitter wrote:
Ok, just for an example, IF I made it to the PGA Tour, as soon as I had confirmation, I would have at least 20 Sports Agents waiting for me with contracts as fat as my arm...

I would have clauses and balloon payments, example (to use a product locally) I use Zen putter, I would put clause in contract, everytime my putter is on TV I get $10k if I hole a putt above 60 feet and it is on TV I get $20k, If I win I get $100k, the payments are only limited by my agents imagination...

And that is why a lot of first timers on the tour fail, they are so overwhelmed by the $$$ thrust at them they forget to play golf...

If you make the cut in a PGA event and come last you may get $5k but get your sponsors equipment on TV you may get $50k...

It is a marketers dream!

I once played in a US Open pre Q, I was paired with 2 past PGA Tour winners, an agent offered $500 just to wear his cap, not because I was any good but because playing with the other 2 I had no choice but to be in the Limelight....

Tiger makes $5-8 mill in prize money and $100 +mill in endorsements....

They why dun they play every week since the endorsement money is more that the prize money?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 1725
Join date : 2009-06-17
Location : Laguna National Golf and Country Club

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:42 pm

How much is enough??

You are getting back to the first comment, these guys want to win... try playing golf week in week out, Pro Am, practice round then the event, then travel to the next place and do the same again, you are golfing 6 days a week under huge pressure... you are mentally exhausted....

If you are exhuasted you play bad your endorsements go down.....

If you earn 20 million a year from endosements, could you be bothered wearing yourself out every week for $200k?
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5599
Join date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 pm

oh.... so i misunderstood.... but nevertheless.. its still about money at the end of the day. Smile

U get to play at the final day, last tee slot. You get maximum coverage. You get maximum endorsement. So i get it now. Thanks SH.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Breaking 100 - 90 - 80   Today at 2:03 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Breaking 100 - 90 - 80
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Breaking in of new shaft
» BREAKING NEWS
» BREAKING NEWS: Tornado devastates Dallas Speedpark
» Breaking in a new shaft
» Breaking 460hp SC46 6 Speed Bugeye PRICES REDUCED

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.