Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Driver

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:02 pm

Is the driver an over-rated club in your bag or an important club that influence your scoring per round ? Please share your thoughts. For me personally, it is an important club as it allows me to have a short iron into the green. Shorter iron = accuracy = more birdie chances = better scores geek
Back to top Go down
JawereZ
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:38 pm

Driver is for Show &
Putter is for Dough $$$ !

As long it always lands on the fairways , I'm a happy bloke !
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:49 pm

Seriously putter is for dough ? How many can actually put for dough in the first place other than the pros ? A good solid drive + GIR + max 2 putts is good enough for dough, for me though Beer
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:54 pm

Every club in my bag is important, everyone except for my 60* wedge because I am still not even half decent with that club.

Driver to me is important, because I am bad at it, however when i hit a decent drive that lands on the fairway, it gives me an opportunity to go for par and not scramble for bogey.

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:58 pm

I know that I need to use driver to play golf appropriately.

So since I need it....I will categorize it as important club.

But fm relative standpoint, do I emphasize it too much , such that I train for it? Well.....NO.

If I don train, do I expect alot fm my driver....NO....as long can get me on fairway and cross the 180m ....I am very happy and consider myself very bless to have a low-mainteance golf club.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Agree with Watchman.

on my good driving days, then usually my ball striking for the day is good too, i get more chance for pars. Driving sets the motion for me, It gives me momentum. 2 putt per hole is good enough. If i chip well, then i occasionally break 36 putts for the round.

however If i drive poor, i get negative, and has low energy level for the round, and usually putt bad.

Last edited by pushslice on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:05 pm

For me, it is impt but not as much as a putter.
My 1st focus was on getting a good putter and my search had ended.

So now focus is back to driver; for me, it is a matter of personal satisfaction.
I am happy that I can hit fairways with my current drive but I would want more distance for the task of using a shorter club for my 2nd shot.

And when it comes to driver, it's not just the head but the shaft too.
Will want to get a nice combo to max out my drive

So yes, driver is impt to me.

Last edited by asahi on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:22 pm

pushslice wrote:
Agree with SBH.

on my good driving days, then usually my ball striking for the day is good too, i get more chance for pars. Driving sets the motion for me, It gives me momentum. 2 putt per hole is good enough. If i chip well, then i occasionally break 36 putts for the round.

however If i drive poor, i get negative, and has low energy level for the round, and usually putt bad.

Good short game such as pitching, chipping & putting can make up for shortcomings but for most golfers, these departments are usually more for scrambling rather than for scoring. Agree with your comments, long game set things in motion naturally cultivate confidence leading to better scoring. Without it, short game usually ends up in doldrums too.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:51 pm

the most important piece of equipment in my bag right now is the ball retriever
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:57 pm

eiji wrote:
Every club in my bag is important, everyone except for my 60* wedge because I am still not even half decent with that club.

Driver to me is important, because I am bad at it, however when i hit a decent drive that lands on the fairway, it gives me an opportunity to go for par and not scramble for bogey.

U have chose the most difficult wedge to use.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Quote :
duffader wrote:
eiji wrote:

dammm rite......60deg is bloody difficult to use.......
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:22 pm

lob wedge is not difficult to use if u practise.... how do u consider difficult? if use it at the right situation it should be ok.

If we separate into 3 parts - tee off, putting and in between tee off and putting... most likely tee off is 18-20 strokes, assuming 2 OB.... putting we take it as 36 (2 putts per hole). For the inbetween, it will depends on the tee off... tee off land on fairway, u may just use on shot to reach green. tee off land in bunker, maybe u will need 2 to reach green... which area you land the ball on green will affect the numbers of putts... you dun want to try hitting 40ft putts on every green...

So which club is important?? My take is all clubs are just as important in their own area...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:31 pm

duffader wrote:
eiji wrote:

I agree. I used to have a 60 in my bag but found it tricky to handle. I've opted to carry the 58 instead... may even just drop to a 56.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Technospaz wrote:
duffader wrote:
eiji wrote:

I agree. I used to have a 60 in my bag but found it tricky to handle. I've opted to carry the 58 instead... may even just drop to a 56.

I stick with a 56 now.... gives me a better variety for my short game.
Back to top Go down
tohkh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Definitely all clubs are important, and I dun think I will want to be short of any of them. Perhaps a better way is which clubs can you afford not to have and still be able to complete a decent enough game, I would say it's the driver.

=)
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:43 pm

[quote="weesern"]lob wedge is not difficult to use if u practise.... how do u consider difficult? if use it at the right situation it should be ok. [quote]

I am not too sure how to consider difficult in your opinion but i just find it hard to judge the spin as well as playing bump shots.

Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Can someone explain to me the diff between 56, 58, 60 besides the obvious?
What makes the 60 more diff to use?

Is the minute diff in loft so impt?
Are we amateurs able to tell the diff?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:51 pm

duffader wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
duffader wrote:
eiji wrote:

I stick with a 56 now.... gives me a better variety for my short game.

You've got a point, bro. Must re-look my options.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:46 pm

Lob aka 60 degree wedge is not a difficult club to hit and requires some understanding of the club design to put it into good use. Becos of the bounce, lob wedge should never be used when your ball is lying on a 'hard pan'. Equally important is the fact that lob wedge is not a club to execute a bump and run shot as the high degree of loft will check out pretty fast. The lob wedge only comes in handy when either you don't have a lot of green to work with or in the greenside bunker for your next stroke. In a nutshell, it does not offer a variety of options unless one's short game is as deadly as lefty.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:15 pm

I just find wedges a sort of disappointing clubs....its like I am so close when I hit the wedge shot....but after hitting the wedge....I realized...that its so far now

but like Dr. Nutella said....I have to learn to love
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:54 pm

watchman88sg wrote:
In a nutshell, it does not offer a variety of options unless one's short game is as deadly as lefty.

Glad that you agree...
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:55 pm

personally, my emphasis is putting and short game than trying to hit my driver long n straight....

i love my wedges and i'm starting to love my putting now....

if one is hitting 10-12 pars per round, then keeping the driver long n straight will lower your scores, but if one is hitting only 0-4 pars per round, keeping the driver long n straight is not the only thing one need to work on.

birdie- u need to string 3 good shots in a row, no major mistake, thus no mean feat

par- u are allow 1 simple mistake, either 2 on 2 putt or 3 on 1 putt, there is some allowance for u to achieve

bogey- most can do it, once u manage your expectation

of cos, we set certain aspiration for our game, but our aspirations, like most things in life, need to be progressive, need to walk before we run, thus to play par, one need to know how to play bogey, to play birdie, one need to know how to par, so how well we wanna to be depends on how much we put into the game....

thus at this juncture of my game, my emphasis will be on my short game, i just wanna play mid-high 70s score consistently, n i believe sound short game n good putting will get me there, cos i just wanna convert my bogey to par

one just need to be realistic about your game, manage your expectation well, then lower scores will follow

jmho
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:16 pm

slinger wrote:
personally, my emphasis is putting and short game than trying to hit my driver long n straight....

if one is hitting 10-12 pars per round, then keeping the driver long n straight will lower your scores, but if one is hitting only 0-4 pars per round, keeping the driver long n straight is not the only thing one need to work on.

birdie- u need to string 3 good shots in a row, no major mistake, thus no mean feat

par- u are allow 1 simple mistake, either 2 on 2 putt or 3 on 1 putt, there is some allowance for u to achieve

of cos, we set certain aspiration for our game, but our aspirations, like most things in life, need to be progressive, need to walk before we run, thus to play par, one need to know how to play bogey, to play birdie, one need to know how to par, so how well we wanna to be depends on how much we put into the game....

thus at this juncture of my game, my emphasis will be on my short game, i just wanna play mid-high 70s score consistently, n i believe sound short game n good putting will get me there, cos i just wanna convert my bogey to par

one just need to be realistic about your game, manage your expectation well, then lower scores will follow

jmho

Wow, seebayho ah!
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:51 pm

watchman88sg wrote:
Lob aka 60 degree wedge is not a difficult club to hit and requires some understanding of the club design to put it into good use. Becos of the bounce, lob wedge should never be used when your ball is lying on a 'hard pan'. Equally important is the fact that lob wedge is not a club to execute a bump and run shot as the high degree of loft will check out pretty fast. The lob wedge only comes in handy when either you don't have a lot of green to work with or in the greenside bunker for your next stroke. In a nutshell, it does not offer a variety of options unless one's short game is as deadly as lefty.

maybe if use more of the right side of the brain will help...be more creative...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:38 am

Following my Shi Fu 's footsteps, I too share many of his view...as you can see fm below (copy wholesale except for those underlined)
===================================

thus at this juncture of my game, my emphasis will be on my short game, i just wanna play mid-high 80s score consistently, n i believe sound short game n good putting will get me there, cos i just wanna convert my bogey to par

just like my shifu
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Driver   Today at 9:50 pm

Back to top Go down

The Driver
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next