Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 How to improve putting??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
yuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 659
Join date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:25 am

Anyone have any simple drills or methods to improve putting?
Using putting mat at home will improve?
Is there any putting place that can be freely used n learn putting?

Very angry with my putting Mad .. i can 1 on but 4 putts for par 3... haiz... Sad
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 7236
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Sillypore

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:38 am

plenty of drills out there..

plenty of training aids out there..

but easiest and nearest to you?

BIG FISH.

subject to stock and Master's availability.
Back to top Go down
yuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 659
Join date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:48 am

everyday go BIG FISH and sit there ah... hehe
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 146
Join date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:54 am

yuki wrote:
Anyone have any simple drills or methods to improve putting?
Using putting mat at home will improve?
Is there any putting place that can be freely used n learn putting?

Very angry with my putting Mad .. i can 1 on but 4 putts for par 3... haiz... Sad

On personal preferences.
To improve putts,
1. learn the putting feel (distance control and swing pace) - This improves my reading of the distance between ball and flag.
2. reading of lines (if you can do number 1 well, reading of lines will be easy)
3. add distance to the reading lines.

I have a putting mat at home, but not really an exciting place to do putting.

Try selatar driving range. they have some nice terrain where the putting can be a challenge.
But I do highly recommend, number 1. You need to know your feel. Took me a very long time to find my feel. When i started, i do not even feel anything. lol
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1255
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 99
Location : Teban Garden

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:56 am

I find practicing on the carpet at home is great, it does improve my putting Wink
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 10361
Join date : 2009-12-19
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:57 am

Short and sweet. ZEN putter purchase and a visit to HOZ.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Yuki, once you find out how...pls share with me.... I am in dire straits.

But to mitigate my situation, here is what I am doing or did:

1. I change to heel shafted putter....seems quite ok to suit my swing pattern.
2. I have a putting mat...where instead of just aiming for the hole, I aim based on distance to get a feel for lagging
3. More importantly, when I am standing near any short grass patch, I try to train my eye to see the countour..ie slope left or right..downhill, uphill...


Do not be mistaken...even after doing all these, I am still in dire straits....that is why I am looking forward to going to the TCSS session this thursday to meetup with few of my idols...espeically my #5.
Back to top Go down
yuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 659
Join date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:10 pm

smallhorse wrote:

On personal preferences.
To improve putts,
1. learn the putting feel (distance control and swing pace) - This improves my reading of the distance between ball and flag.
2. reading of lines (if you can do number 1 well, reading of lines will be easy)
3. add distance to the reading lines.

I have a putting mat at home, but not really an exciting place to do putting.

Try selatar driving range. they have some nice terrain where the putting can be a challenge.
But I do highly recommend, number 1. You need to know your feel. Took me a very long time to find my feel. When i started, i do not even feel anything. lol

my putting feel not consistent.. n i tink my shoulders n hand not coordinating well.. reading of lines is worse, cant understand how the slope is like even though squatting there n see. jus hamtan only..

i hv putting mat at home n putting on that mat no problem.. cos no slope one lei...

seletar driving range public can use? dun like the feel of anytime will b chase by the management...
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:16 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
I find practicing on the carpet at home is great, it does improve my putting Wink

me too.....

no wonder we can play level....
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5599
Join date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:18 pm

slinger wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:
I find practicing on the carpet at home is great, it does improve my putting Wink

me too.....

no wonder we can play level....

No wonder i need strokes from you both, i got no putting carpet.
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 146
Join date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:19 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
I find practicing on the carpet at home is great, it does improve my putting Wink

Boo my carpet is not long enough.
I envy your house.

But I like to add something to all.
After I have read the lines, i do not even look at the flag. I just concentrate on the ball(after I have aligned them) and putt strength. (After my putt feel is zeroed in after 2-3 holes lol)
This improves my putting confidence and the opportunity to land a first putt is pretty high.

This leaves only concentration of my ball and putt. I don't even bother to see the flag, terrain, and a beer can on the green to seduce me.

This takes a bit to adjust, but it kinda helps me.
And I do not trust caddies. lol.. playout by them many times. heehee
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:25 pm

duffader wrote:
slinger wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:
I find practicing on the carpet at home is great, it does improve my putting Wink

me too.....

no wonder we can play level....

No wonder i need strokes from you both, i got no putting carpet.

go buy a persian runner.... those 20ftx2ft type

the green speed is similiar to nsrcc....

i measure oreadi....
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5599
Join date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:27 pm

slinger wrote:
duffader wrote:
slinger wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:
I find practicing on the carpet at home is great, it does improve my putting Wink

me too.....

no wonder we can play level....

No wonder i need strokes from you both, i got no putting carpet.

go buy a persian runner.... those 20ftx2ft type

the green speed is similiar to nsrcc....

i measure oreadi....

Ok thanks....
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 146
Join date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:31 pm

yuki wrote:
smallhorse wrote:

On personal preferences.
To improve putts,
1. learn the putting feel (distance control and swing pace) - This improves my reading of the distance between ball and flag.
2. reading of lines (if you can do number 1 well, reading of lines will be easy)
3. add distance to the reading lines.

I have a putting mat at home, but not really an exciting place to do putting.

Try selatar driving range. they have some nice terrain where the putting can be a challenge.
But I do highly recommend, number 1. You need to know your feel. Took me a very long time to find my feel. When i started, i do not even feel anything. lol

my putting feel not consistent.. n i tink my shoulders n hand not coordinating well.. reading of lines is worse, cant understand how the slope is like even though squatting there n see. jus hamtan only..

i hv putting mat at home n putting on that mat no problem.. cos no slope one lei...

seletar driving range public can use? dun like the feel of anytime will b chase by the management...

Yes. public can use. But it's a good courtesy to bring around 10 balls. I have seen ppl pour out a bag of golf balls and have their balls all over the greens. lol

actually on the putting mechanics, i do not know how to advise, but its like getting into a rhythm when you started your initial golf swing. it will fall in place soon. You take joy! you can 1 on. on a par 3, its an impressive feat. I am only do 3 on, 1 putt. ^^ (a point to note, putting must relax, then can feel)

Need to buy the guest card from the pro shop and can use the range too. I feel the balls are a bit expensive. but after a good session, hang out at jalan kayu or the bistro at the seletar airbase (cannot remember the name, awesome food) and beers.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 10361
Join date : 2009-12-19
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:30 pm

slinger wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:
I find practicing on the carpet at home is great, it does improve my putting Wink

me too.....

no wonder we can play level....

No wonder I way behind my shifu @ JC and need strokes from idol, slinger.
Swing
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1255
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 99
Location : Teban Garden

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:35 pm

slinger wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:
I find practicing on the carpet at home is great, it does improve my putting Wink

me too.....

no wonder we can play level....
Still looking forward for our game. We will play level once our balls are on green Razz
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 7236
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Sillypore

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:45 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
Still looking forward for our game. We will play level once our balls are on green Razz

have yet to see kranji's GPS Zen putting, but i know the shoo-maker putting damn sharp one.

shoo-maker is like ginger. the older he is, the more hot/sharp he become.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1255
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 99
Location : Teban Garden

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:52 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:
Still looking forward for our game. We will play level once our balls are on green Razz

have yet to see kranji's GPS Zen putting, but i know the shoo-maker putting damn sharp one.

shoo-maker is like ginger. the older he is, the more hot/sharp he become.

Thanks to the carpet ROFL
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:57 pm

smallhorse wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:
I find practicing on the carpet at home is great, it does improve my putting Wink

Boo my carpet is not long enough.
I envy your house.

But I like to add something to all.
After I have read the lines, i do not even look at the flag. I just concentrate on the ball(after I have aligned them) and putt strength. (After my putt feel is zeroed in after 2-3 holes lol)
This improves my putting confidence and the opportunity to land a first putt is pretty high.

This leaves only concentration of my ball and putt. I don't even bother to see the flag, terrain, and a beer can on the green to seduce me.

This takes a bit to adjust, but it kinda helps me.
And I do not trust caddies. lol.. playout by them many times. heehee

All about trust...

Not that the caddies play u out, just that they line it up according to the way they putt... if u like the ball to die off to the hole but the caddy like to hit the back of the cup, the line will be different...
Back to top Go down
yuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 659
Join date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:20 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
I find practicing on the carpet at home is great, it does improve my putting Wink

house no carpet lei.. only tiles.. can practice fast green huh.. Smile
Back to top Go down
yuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 659
Join date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:24 pm

asahi wrote:
Short and sweet. ZEN putter purchase and a visit to HOZ.

no matter how good the putter is, coordination of hands and reading of lines cannot make it then also same same...
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2668
Join date : 2009-12-23
Age : 35
Location : Pasir Gudang / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:26 pm

As John Daly recently said: The secret to putting is in the love handles!!!
Did an experiment the other night and realize that having love handles does help in putting...

I tuck my elbows against my love handles and "rotate" around them from start to finish stroke... gives me a better feel and nice roll!!!

Secret to love handles: Can join my new venture (Weight Gainers)
Think thats why Slinger also putting so well lately!!!
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:28 pm

JonL_TK wrote:
As John Daly recently said: The secret to putting is in the love handles!!!
Did an experiment the other night and realize that having love handles does help in putting...

I tuck my elbows against my love handles and "rotate" around them from start to finish stroke... gives me a better feel and nice roll!!!

Secret to love handles: Can join my new venture (Weight Gainers)

John Daly is a guy... Yuki is a lady!!!
Back to top Go down
yuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 659
Join date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Hi Yuki, once you find out how...pls share with me.... I am in dire straits.

But to mitigate my situation, here is what I am doing or did:

1. I change to heel shafted putter....seems quite ok to suit my swing pattern.
2. I have a putting mat...where instead of just aiming for the hole, I aim based on distance to get a feel for lagging
3. More importantly, when I am standing near any short grass patch, I try to train my eye to see the countour..ie slope left or right..downhill, uphill...


Do not be mistaken...even after doing all these, I am still in dire straits....that is why I am looking forward to going to the TCSS session this thursday to meetup with few of my idols...espeically my #5.

if i do find out will let u know, but seems like abit hard lei.. hehe..

funny thing is i stand there n see e hole, dun seems to see any sloping left or right but when hit the ball it actually turn in another way..

Keppel BFG dun hv the putting facilities like redhill rite..
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2668
Join date : 2009-12-23
Age : 35
Location : Pasir Gudang / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:33 pm

weesern wrote:
JonL_TK wrote:
As John Daly recently said: The secret to putting is in the love handles!!!
Did an experiment the other night and realize that having love handles does help in putting...

I tuck my elbows against my love handles and "rotate" around them from start to finish stroke... gives me a better feel and nice roll!!!

Secret to love handles: Can join my new venture (Weight Gainers)

John Daly is a guy... Yuki is a lady!!!
Hello... Girls also can have love handles right???
There is this term "Muffin Top"

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: How to improve putting??   Today at 3:45 pm

Back to top Go down
 
How to improve putting??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» How to improve putting??
» Good putting mat. Max 300cm x 80cm
» My guide to confident putting!
» The Art of Putting
» Putting coach?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.